Hip-hop star Tory Lanez was charged Thursday, Oct. 9, with assaulting a woman in the Hollywood Hills on July 12, according to information provided by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.
The alleged victim wasn’t listed by name in the press release and was only referred to as a “female friend” of the rapper. However, the incident’s timing and details line up with allegations made by rapper Megan Thee Stallion on July 15. The “Savage” rapper had also taken to her Instagram page in the weeks following the incident and called Tory out by name as her alleged shooter.
“The rap artist known as Tory Lanez has been charged with assaulting a female friend in the Hollywood Hills earlier this year, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced today,” the announcement read. It continued, “Daystar Peterson aka Tory Lanez (dob 7/27/92) was charged today in case BA490599 with one felony count each of assault with a semiautomatic firearm – personal use of a firearm – and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle. The defendant also faces a gun allegation and that he personally inflicted great bodily injury.”
According to the DA’s office, “The defendant and the 24-year-old victim got into an argument while riding in an SUV in the Hollywood Hills. The victim exited the vehicle, and Peterson is accused of shooting several times at her feet and wounding her.”
When Megan first made her claims public, she only disclosed that she had “suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me.” The whole ordeal later turned into rounds of he-said-she-said as many people on social media accused Megan of faking the shooting incident. On Aug. 20, the Texas native called out Tory in an Instagram video. The rapper also revealed why she didn’t initially tell police that it was Tory. “Yes, this n—a Tory shot me,” Megan said in the clip. “You shot me, and you got your publicist and your people to [talk to] these blogs, lying and s––. Stop lying!” Megan also shared photos of her injured foot, but later deleted them.
The “WAP” star said she didn’t initially tell law enforcement that Tory was the shooter because of recent police violence. “I didn’t tell the police nothing because I didn’t want us to get in no more trouble,” she explained.
Tory, who had remained silent since the beginning, denied Megan’s claims in the form of a 17-track album, released last month. The rapper discussed the incident in every song as he accused the female rapper of trying to ruin his career. Tory is scheduled to be arraigned on Oct. 13, in Department 30 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center. If convicted, he could face a maximum of 22 years and eight months in state prison.