32 Celebs You Didn’t Know Were of Caribbean Descent

Nicki MinajNicki Minaj

Rapper, singer and songwriter Nicki Minaj was born Onika Tanya Maraj in Saint James, Trinidad.

caribe meagan good

Meagan Good

The “Think Like a Man” actress revealed her Caribbean heritage in response to being told she looks “exotic.”

“My mother’s mother is Jewish and African, so I guess that would be considered Creole. My mother’s father was Cherokee Indian and something else. My dad’s mother’s was Puerto Rican and black, and his father was from Barbados.”

beyonce flaunt 3

Beyonce Knowles

The pop-star’s singer father Mathew is Bahamian.

150 thoughts on “32 Celebs You Didn’t Know Were of Caribbean Descent

1. Susonya Davenport says:

Really tired of these articles where black people feel the need to breakdown every single nationality that they are or think they are. No other race writes articles like this, I have never seen a "Guess who's Italian, German, or Chinese" article. We all trace back to the same continent of Africa & if you think you don't then you haven't gone far enough in your search. As of right now anyone that can trace their lineage back to Africa is called Black, so I wish black people stop naming 50 million other things they have in them, because on this planet no one is 100% anything. Yet, Black people are the only group focused on it. No one gives a damn. Really.

2. Speak for yourself. More and more people are participating in DNA tests and genealogical research (including myself and other family members). Many other races are participating in DNA and genealogical research to find out where there ancestors come from. Don't believe me, then go online and check for yourself. Look up Dr. Henry Louis Gates/African American Lives series and see for yourself. Just yesterday, we received in the mail info about my 3rd great-grandparents and their slave owners. And it is no where near completion. Try it for yourself. You might find some valuable info about your family.

3. Eric King Jr. says:

This article confirms my extensive on-the-ground "research" lol jk. I'm just a sucka for sista with an accent I can't even lie 😉 lol

4. Jeff Medina says:

Thanks Albert good info.

5. Yas Dap says:

Stacey Dash is Damon Dash's cousin and they are of Jamaican descent, Maxwell is of Afro-Puerto Rican (so Caribbean not Spanish) and Haitian descent, Nia Long is of Trini and Grenadan descent, and Romany Malco is Panamanian and Trini. You are "born to" not "of", accuracy is super important in "journalism" and it would've been nice to include both sides of many of the performers' heritage since 2 parents made them.
    Also, why not include other Caribbean folks like Zoe Saldaña who is Dominican (shares the same island – Hispañola/Quisqueya – as Haiti) & Puerto Rican, Jimmy Smits who's Surinamese and Puerto Rican, etc.? I guess the list would be too long… And why is ratchet Nicki Minaj the first on the list? And Susonya, many other groups are quite proud of their diverse heritages too and being proud doesn't negate pride in our strong African roots in the Caribbean and South America. There's more retained African culture there than in the United States. Maybe you should visit and experience it.

6. Delrene Lewis says:

There are plenty of people that do not come from a Caribbean background (including black people) that have a negative stereotypical view of people that do come from a Caribbean background. There are many famous people that are of African descent that were born or grew up in North America who are looked upon in a positive way by people that do not come from a Caribbean background because those people do not realise that these famous people are of Caribbean descent, but if people knew right from the word go that they were from a Caribbean background they would have negative things to say about them. My parents are from the Caribbean and I have lost count of the amount of times people – whether they are of white European ancestry , dark skinned Asian, African etc – that have negative things to say about Caribbean people yet they look at famous people that are of African descent who have grown up in North America and have been for famous years and those same people view them in a positive way not realising they are of Caribbean Descent, when if they knew they were of Caribbean Descent right from the start, they would have negative things to say about them. So I think it's important to highlight people classed as 'African – American' who have African- Caribbean ancestry. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell is of Jamaican parentage, Malcolm X was of Caribbean parentage (his mother was from Grenada), Busta Rhymes is of Jamaican descent, Alicia Keys is of Caribbean descent. These are just a few of numerous examples. And to the writers of this article, your article states that actor Derek Luke is from a Caribbean background because he has a parent from Guyana . I think you should have done some more research regarding Geography. It is a common misconception, but [although Guyanese people play for the West Indies (Caribbean) cricket team] , Guyana is NOT part of the Caribbean. It is part of mainland South America

. And to Susonya Davenport, who said she is tired of articles where black people feel the need to breakdown every nationality within their family, many many people who are from a Caribbean background are of mixed ancestry due to the history of the region no matter how whether their skin is very light or very dark and a lot of people do not realise that. My family are Jamaican and we are African, Asian and European mixed together . We have different skin tones, hair types, eye colours and are treated differently by different ethnic groups depending on what at look like, even though we all have the same ancestry. I have faced prejudice from plenty of Asian people who do not realise I could be their distant cousin ,they assume I have a white parent (I don't) and a parent of African descent. Yet they are nice to my sister (we have the same TWO parents) because she looks more Asian.

Because I look 'mixed' and I'm clearly of African descent, people usually assume that I have a white parent and a parent of African descent, when infact both my parents have dark skin, although not very dark. I used to just say I have two black parents and leave it at that because I got sick and tired of being questioned about my ethnic background. People would say I was a liar and one of my parents is white. If I said I had black parents, they would want to know where my grandparents were from, was one of them white, if I said no (the truth), they would just keep questioning me. So I would just say my parents are black and nothing else. But now I'm more open about my background and state my family is Jamaican AND of African, Asian and European descent because I think there are too many Ignorant people around and I think they need to be educated. They show prejudice towards me not realising I could be related to them, or are nice to me because they think I have a white parent and then become more negative when I tell them that I don't. And I never hesitate to say I don't have a white parent. People need to learn not to judge a book by its cover. In my family we get different treatment from different ethnic groups depending on what we look like, how much prejudice we face from each ethnic group depends on what we look like, even though we have the same ancestry. People are too ignorant and so now I'm more open about my background to educate ignorant idiots. For no other reason.

And to anyone that says I'm not black,many people who are very dark skinned and have Afro hair have families that are just are just as mixed as mine and are not told they are not black . I have light brown skin and Afro hair, my niece has very dark skin and Afro hair, my sister has light brown skin and hair more like an Asian person. My niece is no more ' black' or less mixed than myself or my sister. Yet SOME people would say my niece is black and my sister and I are not.

Some people, many, say that to be black you have to be of African descent. My parents and some brothers and sisters were born in Jamaica. Most Asian people (Indian, Pakistani, etc) will say they are brown and not black, no matter how dark their skin is, even if their skin is dark brown, because they think to be 'black' is bad and they do not want to be lumped together with people that are of African descent .When I was a teenager at school, a girl in my class from a Bangladeshi family with dark brown skin was asked if she was black or white. She said she was white because she didn't want to say she was black. In America their are people classed as 'Hispanic' with light brown skin and straighter hair who are of African descent if you go back far enough into their families. They call themselves 'brown'.

As far as I'm concerned if you are dark skinned, whether you are are of African or Asian descent or whatever, we are either all black or we are all brown. I have seen very dark skinned people, including in my own family, but I have never seen anyone that is literally black. So maybe we should just call ourselves brown anyway, cos that is literally what we are, whatever the shade. I guess some people who call themselves 'brown' would then start calling themselves white. Lol!

7. Yes sir Bahamian descent!!!

8. DONT TELL A GUYANESE PERSON THEY ARE NOT CARRIBEAN BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY CONSIDER THEMSELVES. YES, GUYANA IS NEXT DOOR TO BRAZIL BUT AS A NON SPEAKIN SPANISH COUNTRY THEY CONSIDER THEMSELVES PART OF THE WEST INDIES.

9. Rey Gutierrez Well spoken!Trace your race or culture back to wherever you came from and be proud of who and what you are!As long as your a decent human being,you should be proud of who and how God made you!

10. Rose Braham says:

I could not have said it better myself.!Thank you Rey.

11. Dilly Lightbourne Williams says:

wow never wud have known

12. Yvette Mullings says:

Since when is somebody saying they are Haitian or Jamaican or Bahamian mean that person is not black? If Nicki Minaj, for example, is trinidadian, that's just what fact is and in her case if she is half black and half indian, that's what it is.

13. Shanielle Browne McEachnie says:

So true Delrene. My son skin complexion is brown and I his mother is dark and I've been asked on many occasions if am his mother or am I babysitting. Then they go on to ask about his "good hair". I just laugh because am tired of explaining my family West Indian mix heritage. It still amazes me in this day and age where everything is online some people are still so ignorant. They're still surprise of the melting pot we have in the West Indies.

14. Delrene Lewis says:

Michael Blake, re you saying : "don't tell a Guyanese person that they are not Caribbean because that's what they consider themselves", my cousins' mum is Guyanese. She does not consider herself to be Caribbean. Other Guyanese people I have met get annoyed when people assume they are from the Caribbean and go out of their way to tell people they are not Caribbean and that they come from mainland South America.

To my knowledge, Guyana is the only English – speaking country in mainland South America. I'm no expert but as far as I know, my knowledge, with the rest of mainland South America, the main, I. E. official national languages are Spanish or Portuguese. Obviously some of the people must also have learnt English in the same way that I was born in England but studied German at school.

Because Guyanese people have English as their national language, it gives them something in common with most Caribbean islanders. Guyana was also governed by the British like some Caribbean Islands, therefore there are going to be cultural similarities between some Guyanese people and people from Caribbean islands. This is probably why Where I come from in England, Guyanese people are more likely to mix socially with people whose families originate from the Caribbean Islands than with other people from other mainland South America where their first language is Spanish or Portuguese.

I have done some research and TECHNICALLY speaking, apparently both Guyana (mainland South America) and Belize – which is in Central America are member states of CARICOM (Caribbean Communities). Like Guyana,Belize was governed by Britain in the past and the national language of Belize is also English, although apparently English is not the most commonly spoken language in Belize.

I assume the reason that Guyana in mainland South America and Belize in Central America have been accepted as part of CARICOM is because there is a shared history with some Caribbean Islands with regards to Guyana and Belize both having been governed by Britain and speaking English etc – I. E. there are cultural similarities with some Caribbean Islands.

But take a look at a map, Belize is part of Central America, it is NOT PHYSICALLY a Caribbean island, even if it had been accepted as part of CARICOM . Belize is no more physically a part of the Caribbean than Nicaragua or Panama, which are also in Central America. Equally, if you take a look at a map, Guyana is part of mainland South America and is next door to Brazil and Venezuela. Therefore PHYSICALLY, Guyana is no more part of the Caribbean Islands than Brazil or Venezuela.

As I said, from my experience in England, Guyanese people do not like to be called Caribbean, but your experience is obviously different Michael Blake.

At the end of the day, if some Guyanese people wanted to call themselves Japanese, that's their business.

15. Muy Bonita says:

Excuse you Susonya, but I am West Indian and proud! I will always be proud of my West Indian background and will always claim, embrace and call myself a West Indain, so fuck you if you have a problem with that. I find it funny that African people and people who have African parents get upset when West Indians or Black Americans claim their nationality and not African. Why is it ok for Africans to embrace their culture, but others can't?? Every time West Indians speak of their nationality they get upset as if they want us to go around and say we are Africans. Wtf! We were not born in Africa, have no African relatives, we are not familiar with the language, culture, food and traditions of Africans , therefore we can't claim it nor will we. I was born in the West Indies-that's where my culture, food, language, and tradition comes from, therefore I will claim that, but I won't claim a place where I am not familiar with so get the fuck over it and move on with your life. If Africans wants to embrace their nappy hair, dark skin tone, and various other things associated with being African then so be it, but don't you dare tell West Indians to not embrace their culture!!! You act as if Africans are the best people in the world! West Indians have a rich culture-good food, music, etc and that's why we love our West Indian cuture and keep reminding people of what we truely are. If we want to talk about what we are mixed with or where we are from then we can do that. Also, blacks are not the only ones who talk about their mixed heritage. I just find it very pathetic that you are upset at the fact that we embrace being West Indian, no one tells Africans to not embrace being African. And I will always claim the West Indies bitch.

16. I think you missed the point but ok.

17. because it basically is. physically no, culturally yes.

18. YES…. we know what the map looks like. As a Caribbean child we had to learn it in school. However, in almost every other context but the physical, it is considered a Caribbean country. Maybe guyanese that migrate dont like to be associated too much with 'Caribbean' ppl cuz sometimes Caribbean ppl are looked down on. (not that SA's are not) but they have no trouble mixing and calling themselves Caribbean when they migrate to all the other countries the caribbean.

19. Felicia Cain says:

If your parents are Haitian doesn't that make you Haitian?? Why do they keep saying born to Haitian parents, like they just turned out something else?

20. This is all very interesting I thank God for His beautiful creation of human life we are like a yummy pot of stew just get ya biscuit and sop it up be nourished and full love everyone and accept yourself and others.

21. Rod J. White says:

Actually civilization it self is said to have started in Africa, that is where the oldest human remains were discovered.

22. Kiki Francis says:

It's not about their race it's about their nationality. It's not the same thing. They know they're black but it's where they come from. I'm black but I'm from St. kitts so I'm a kittitian and most of these celebs are asked where they're from so then comes the digging. And then alot of them are mixed with west indian decent but to be Guyanese, Haitian, or Puerto Rican doesn't necessarily mean you get the different complexion with the curly hair cause half of them are still black with the kinky afro hair, it's just a nationality

23. DJ DON1 says:

Muy Bonita so based on your logic many of the entertainers/athletes can't claim the Caribbean because they weren't born there, neither do they know the food, language or culture. The bottom line is everybody is from somewhere but where do you stop your search? Do you stop at the Caribbean? or do you go as far out as Africa, it's all a matter of interest. A lot of people let egos, biases, prejudices, fear, history e.t.c. get in the way. Everybody is entitled to their sovereignty and I accept that it is wrong and ignorant for anybody to impose African on anyone. However, beware of the danger of a single sided story, for those interested, the Caribbean is one part of the story but Africa is were it all began. It's the fact and if you don't have prejudices against Africans or afraid of discovering your roots it won't hurt you. People are afraid of what they don't know but knowledge is power. There are resources out there for people to discover their roots, it doesn't change who you are, it just empowers you. People perish for the lack of knowledge (the bible says so). Why know half the story when you can know the whole story.

24. Herb St Fleur says:

I'll always be proud to separate myself and say I'm of Haitian decent because truth be told too many of our African-Americans brother aren't trying to succeed. We used to get beat up for being of Haitian Decent till we fought back, so let me and others like myself enjoy how hard we worked to overcome just being "Black in America".

25. Herb St Fleur says:

26. Valerie Angela Lawrence-Lacasse says:

To each his own most people from the Caribbean are proud of their diversity so the like to speak about it, I dont consider myself African American I am from the Caribbean and we should we deny any of our heritage,While in the UK every Guaynese i came in contact with identified themself as been from the Caribbean, Yes and the know their country is in SA,And it is important for me to identify myself as being from the Caribbean, the culture is different from an African American and I am proud of who I am also the other parts of me too

27. Graceful Hopeful says:

And yet, you will be the first t ask a black person with an accent "where are you from?" lol

28. Rikki Clark says:

A clear representation of just how ignorant people can be. Nathan Ire

29. Caryzlina Ahzgar says:

The ones that are Haitian never claim nor rep it…I know many haitians that never claim it

30. Vee Forbes says:

Salt has family from St. Thomas.

31. Alicia Randall says:

I don't see white people in America going around saying they are african or European ..they say they are American. I was born in the Caribbean therefore I am Caribbean and nothing else. Done!

32. Anonymous says:

Michael Blake… GUYANA DONT CONSIDERED THEM SELF PART OF THE WEST INDIES, THEY ARE PART OF SOUTH AMERICA…

HAVE U EVER HEARD OF CARICOM… GUYANA AND THE ALL THE CARICOM COUNTRIES HAVE THE SAME PASSPORT… SO DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST.. IN YOUR RESEARCH U WILL UNDERSTAND AS TO WHY PPL ALWAYS INCLUDE GUYANA AS THE WEST INDIES…

33. RaKira Godett says:

You are absolutely incorrect. White people always discuss and know their roots….. Italian, Germaine, Swedish or whatever. I have a problem with people acting as if black people can only be associated with Africa? We are a diverse people and the fact and reality is all black people are not African so they have other cultural identities…. If you want to be that literal ALL people originate from Africa but I don't see whites and Asians rapping Africa and ignoring the fact that they were born in other countries… What if a black person has never been to Africa? Should they ignore the country they are from and just pick an African country to rep?

34. Amethyst Hay says:

Caribbean people run it!!!

35. Amethyst Hay says:

White people do the same thing lol except they try to identify with their European roots. Loll get over yourself and stop being a hater. Ps. I live in the Bahamas and it's inspiring to see these Caribbean people who made it. P.p.s. I don't care about grammar in this post so no one judge me 🙂

36. Karen Shaw Taylor says:

Hi Darlene, I am late on this conversation. Just 2 quick points. 1. It is just nice to know that these "stars" are from the Caribbean or of Caribbean descent It just makes us feel represented, and just to note in African news it is noted which "stars" are from Africa or African descent. 2. I am from Guyana and yes geographically we are from South America, but culturally we are considered Caribbean/ West Indians. Guyana is a part of CARICOM. We share the same culture as the other West Indian Islands. Btw…usually when anyone distances themselves from their heritage it is because the want to deny their African side. We are the only people that will say we are part this or part that…hoping that the other parts make us more acceptable and respectable. To this date I have never heard President Obama say I am half white, which is a fact that we all know.

37. Mia Schene says:

Not all black people have had the same history. Not all Africans were enslaved and those who were, unfortunately, were rounded up and sold into slavery by stronger African tribes! Being Puerto Rican, we do identify with our largely African roots, but we are so integrated in most cases, that color is a non issue…. if you're black, white, or somewhere in between and you're Puerto Rican… it doesnt matter, you're just Puerto Rican. My family is a beautiful rainbow of color and I wouldn't have it any other way! My point is that just because you're black and someone else is, doesn't mean you're the same, think the same or feel the same as the next….. culture has more to do with who you are and who you identify with, than skin color.

38. Alicia Randall says:

Karen Shaw Taylor i think its not about denying being black but about showing up your hidden parts so to speak! it is very obvious to be black looking but if you have a non black mother or grandparent it may not be obvious. People are just proud to be part of may things and should not feel ashamed to let everyone know this..looking black is the easy part but looking other things can be tricky look at naomi campbell and tyson as an example.

39. Cindy Detres says:

I can't agree more!! 🙂 Just look at US two i think we are a pretty good example lol and we are in the same family tree hehe

40. Its not that big a deal. Your frustration with the article is baseless. Let people write what they feel. obviously you were not bothered enough to write in length about this. And for the record, oner races of people trace their heritage. Ancestry.com made $377M helping people trace their roots so you just need to calm down and don't read it if you don't like the article.

41. Delrene Lewis says:

To say that Guyana is an English – speaking country (whereas in rest of mainland South America they have Spanish or Portuguese as their main language) and claim that therefore that makes Guyanese people Caribbean CULTURALLY is not logical. It Doesn't make sense. It suggests that all Caribbean Islands have English as their official main language and culturally they are all the same – all have MOST RECENTLY been governed by Britain and therefore have a more UK influence culturally. Different European countries governed Caribbean Islands and mainland South America at different times and it is the European countries that governed more recently that have left more of a cultural influence. Jamaica was governed by the Spanish then by England for hundreds of years, so England has left more of a cultural mark on the country.. Guyana used to be governed by the Netherlands and then later by the British which is why there is more of an English cultural influence in modern Guyana than any influence by the Netherlands.There are cultural differences between different Caribbean Islands and they do not all have the UK as a major MODERN – DAY cultural influence. As Different Caribbean Islands have been governed by different European countries, as a result these European countries have not only influenced the individual Islands in terms of the Languages they speak, but also in relation to other aspects of their cultures. People have come from all over the world to live in the Caribbean and some Islands have a higher percentage of people with ancestors from certain parts of the world and this makes the cultures different from one Caribbean island to another also. In Cuba their main language is Spanish and there is a heavy Spanish cultural influence – same with Puerto Rico. These are Caribbean Islands and they do NOT have a lot in common with Guyana culturally. In St. Lucia they speak a dialect based on French and also speak English. In Haiti they also speak a dialect that has a French influence and they also speak French. In Curacao and Aruba, both of which are Caribbean Islands, Dutch is a main language, but they also speak other languages and another dialect which is a mixture of languages (Papiemento) . English is not the main part of that dialect, unlike in Jamaica where English is the national language and the Jamaican dialect is also based on English( though it is also influenced by other languages) . So Guyana differs a lot from some Caribbean Islands culturally. So, as said, to claim that because Guyanese people speak English and are UK – influenced culturally to some degree that makes them Caribbean does NOT meant sense. A number of Caribbean Islands do not have English as their main language and are more influenced culturally in MODERN TIMES by countries outside of the UK, so culturally they are very different to Guyana.

The Caribbean island Guyana probably has most in common with is Trinidad as they are both English – speaking and culturally have a more UK influenced overall, but also have a large percentage of the population that is of Asian descent and has closer cultural ties with Asia (India.) In other Caribbean Islands like Jamaica that also have people that are of Asian descent, the families are more mixed (like my family Jamaican family, where we are African, Asian and European mixed together), so there is NOT a strong Asian cultural influence. People who have 2 parents that are of Asian descent and where there is a strong cultural connection with Asia make up only a small percentage of the population in most Caribbean Islands – Trinidad being one exception as stated.

I don't know how much people are able to see from my comments from before Karen Shaw Taylor, but I already mentioned that TECHNICALLY Guyana (mainland South America) and Belize (Central America) are part of CARICOM and therefore are 'officially part of the Caribbean. I also referred to the fact that they both have English as their official main language (although apparently in Belize, most people speak other languages.) Before CARICOM, you had the West Indies Federation – which consisted of a number of English – speaking Caribbean Islands. the intention was to create Closer political ties between these countries. As the federation came to an end, the decision was made to develop closer ties with Guyana (mainland South America) and Belize (Central America) as they were also English – speaking countries. Later, CARICOM was created which included other Caribbean Islands as well as Suriname in mainland South America. CARICOM has only existed for a number of decades and is only about forming closer political and economic ties between certain countries.

1) As already said Guyana (mainland South America) is not physically part of the Caribbean. (Just as Belize in Central America is not.)

2) Guyana is a part of CARICOM (as is Belize) , but CARICOM and other organisations that have developed as an offshoot of CARICOM are just about forming political and economic ties between certain countries.

3) CARICOM has only existed for a number of decades – so Guyana did not suddenly become a Caribbean island decades ago just because CARICOM was created.

4) To say that Guyana is Caribbean CULTURALLY just because they speak English and have some other cultural connections with England/Britain does not make sense because – as stated, there are cultural differences between different Caribbean Islands and some Caribbean Islands are very different culturally to Guyana, they have stronger cultural ties outside of the UK (e. G. Cuba and Puerto Rico have closer ties to Spain, Aruba and Curacao have closer ties to the Netherlands, etc). These ARE still ALL Caribbean Islands. A number of Caribbean Islands dont have English as their main language or close MODERN cultural ties to England /Britain like Guyana , so just because Guyanese speak English etc does not make them Caribbean CULTURALLY.

5) As said before I've never met a Guyanese person that calls themselves Caribbean (including my cousins' mum) and I've never met anyone else from a family that comes from a Caribbean island that has either. But the Guyanese can call themselves what they want – just doesn't mean it's logical for them to do so. 🙂

42. Chosen Russ says:

I'm a Bahamian and I am proud of my fellow brothers and sisters who have made it successfully around the world! Just for the record most of the progressive and influential blacks who migrated to the Florida area 150 years ago, originated from….you guessed it…THE BAHAMAS!

43. Susonya Davenport says:

Cyrano Cleaves self hate is a mofo

44. Susonya Davenport says:

Muy Bonita Wow you are so lost I feel bad for you. West Indian is NOT a race. It's the same as if someone says they are American or Canadian. So fuck you.

45. Susonya Davenport says:

Oswald Clarke What's your point? Don't read my comment if you don't like. Write in length? How long would you have liked for my comment to be?

46. Chosen Russ says:

Susonya Davenport : Milton Cecil Russell Sr; BSc-Mrchanical Engineering (Southeast London Polytechnic-1974), MBA (University of Miami-1983), P.E. (registered professional engineer-The Bahamas, SC and NC-USA, UK -England). Black and I'm very proud of my Bahamian heritage!

47. Susonya Davenport says:

Herb St Fleur So you associate "Being Black" as negative? And you don't see that as a problem.

48. Susonya Davenport says:

Rey Gutierrez What's your point Rey? Save the sob story, everyone was teased growing up. I am not walking around here with an identity crises because I was called "high yellow" or "white" sometimes. The book of a comment that you wrote, I know all that information so you did not offer me a "new perspective." I chose to educate myself about my heritage, unlike many people of Afrikan (bet'cha don't know why I spelled it with a "k") which is why I don't have any self hate issues. What Black people fell to realize & even Black Hispanics such as yourself is you can call yourself whatever you want and see whatever you want to see when you look in the mirror.You will always be of Afrikan descent whether you like it or not.

49. Gregy Styles says:

Caryzlina Ahzgar Except for this dude right here

50. Neil Ariwa Fraser says:

Delrene, it's not just the language, it's ten food, the racial heritage of the people and many other things that we all take for granted. Also the fact that most Guyanese have relatives in the islands, and most Brazilians and Venezuelans have their roots in Italy,Spain and Portugal. You need to visit and see just how different the neighboring countries are!

51. Anna Prince says:

Even if Guyana is on the mainland it is still part of the Caribbean. I was born and still live in the Caribbean and there are many Guyanese living in most of the islands. They always consider themselves from the Caribbean.

52. Alicia Randall says:

for true! would never want to be a closed minded American of any race!

53. Kermit Romer says:

Ben Gordon has Bahamian Roots not Jamaica

54. Both Jamaican & Bahamian

55. Alseta Gholston says:

Any country that borders the Caribbean sea (which Guyana and Belize do) can geographically be considered Caribbean (at the same time they can also be geographically central/south american). Culturally, we already know they are Caribbean/West Indian and not just because they speak English. You say you've never met a Guyanese that considers themselves Caribbean, while I, on the other hand, never met a Guyanese that did not consider themselves Caribbean. You say that "technically" they are Caribbean because they are a member of CARICOM. I don't even understand what point your making or why you even bring this up

56. Delrene Lewis says:

Alseta Gelston and Neil Ariwa Fraser, I'm not sure if you have read As ALL of my comments from before – ESPECIALLY MY PREVIOUS ONE BEFORE THIS ONE, , but if you haven't, I suggest you do because things you are saying to me don't make sense and I've already explained why in response to what other people have said, which is the same sort of things you are both saying. I'm not going to keep explaining same things.

57. Delrene Lewis says:

And Neil Ariwa Frase, I do not understand why you are attempting to tell me about the difference between Caribbean Islands culturally as if I'm ignorant wwith rregards to this when I've already explained all of that previously. . I suggest you read ALL my previous comments – THE ONE FROM 23RD NOV 2013 explains all in detail . Cos if you had you and Alseta Gholston wouldn't have bothered to post the comments you did aimed in my directio if

58. Darnell Dee Dee Hanchell says:

It's important to know where your from it plays in role in shaping who you are or who you will become!

59. Jan'a Washington says:

You black people need to just quit it! Black is Black, and it all traces back to Africa; so who cares where you from? It's not where you from it's where you at.

60. I would say that's unfair. I don't understand why a dominantly black but multiracial person can't express every part of their genetic makeup. Unfair much? Other black people find it to be such a huge issue when the person is just classifying who they are genetically. There is a constant need to protest blackness even if one is biracial, just to make everyone more comfortable. Ridiculous I tell you.

61. Michael Blake I have Guyanese friends and you can't tell them that but to be considered West Indian, it's about geographical location. They are not latin but they are south americans, to be grammatically correct.

62. you would think so but one you are born in America they just refer to you as American, since they weren't born in Haiti they can't be considered Haitian.

63. Alicia Randall says:

Well here in the West Indies we too busy enjoying life to put people in boxes and columns like in the USA. Caribbean rules!

64. Shanielle Browne McEachnie says:

You must be living on another planet because the majority of Guyanese I've met will let you know from the get go that they're from South America. I've yet to meet one who says they're from the Caribbean.

65. There is nothing wrong with knowing who has what roots. I see many Whites doing it, tracing their heritage connecting themselves to presidents.

66. Karen Shaw Taylor Exactly!! I couldn't agree more

67. Ok..most people of the English speaking Caribbean do regard Guyana as being a Caribbean nation whilst acknowledging its geography…as do many, many people from Guyana. And the reason for this feeling of kinship..IS.. the shared relationship..of British colonialism. And i agree with your point of the similarities between Guyana and the twin republic,Trinidad and Tobago. They have similar race issues. And id you want to be technical..similar geographies..Trinidad used to be part of South America..and so has similar fauna..fer-de-lance..snakes..etc. But they are STILL considered Caribbean people. South American connection or not. And they happily benefit from Caricom..and being part of the Windies Cricket team.

68. Black is not just Black.. Many African Americans have problems with Blacks of either African or Caribbean descent. Many people of African descent have problems with people of Caribbean..or African American descent. And many people of Caribbean descent have problem with both of those other Black cultures. We are not one homogeneous group..and we never have been.

69. Jan'a Washington says:

And that's a shame!!!! Because at the end of the day white people continue to laugh at our ignorance, and to other races black is just black.

70. Natasha Yhap says:

You need to do some more research before you make claims about an important country in the forming of the West Indies ,Guyana. While Guyana is situated on the mainland of South America, She shares the history of the slave trade etc, unlike the many other mainlanders. I am a Guyanese, Google Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham and Cheddi Jagan and see their roles in the formation of CARIFTA and the CARICOM.

71. Natasha Yhap says:

72. Shanielle Browne McEachnie says:

Jan'a Washington Well said. that's why we can't advance

73. Anita Wills says:

Rey Gutierrez Thank you for your observations. I went on a journey many years ago to piece together my family history. After 20 years I was able to write a book, and since that time have written three more. My maternal DNA came back 87% European, 8% Native, 5% Native. My paternal line DNA (taken by my brother), came back 100% Native American from Columbia South America. As an African American my brother and I thought more African would show up in our direct lines. However, prior to the DNA test i had traced our ancestry to the Mohawk Valley of New York and to Virginia. It is important and not an impossible task. I was not going to let the racist have the last say on who we were as a people. I found African Americans fighting in every War this country has had, and all did not come on slave ships. My Great-Great Grandmother was enslaved in Guinea West Africa and sold in South Carolina. Another female African Ancestors was kidnapped and sold from the Fulani Tribe of Northern Nigeria. People can be so mean spirited and hateful but you over came that. You seem like an intelligent and thoughtful person and that makes you more of a winner than those who bullied you will ever be.

74. Anita Wills says:

I agree with that Shemaih! African Americans have a particular culture from the experiences of living here in the Americas. However, most of my family were free blacks, and intermixed with Native, as well as European. When I wrote my first book, Notes and Documents of Free Persons of Color, it was the African Americans who found it offensive. Many came to me and asked why I wrote about race mixing. I thought that finding and writing about my Free Black Ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War would seen as something positive, unfortunately that was not the case. Sad but true!

75. Big up all di yardie dém.!

76. Oliver Masters says:

if you are not from the other communities, you won't know what they are thinking, and they do the same things we do and even more.

77. Dee Rae says:

When I read some of the comments it's sad to see how lost and ignorant and divided some of us are as people the country you come from does not define you your culture doesn't start or end in the country you where born in. I don't disrespect individuals that is not my style I'm just disappointed that one of the biggest race being black is so lost and divided because Some of us not all can't get past what part of the map we where dropped off on. When folk look at blacks a lot of folk look at us as some of the most ignorant people and we prove them right every day. Just my opinion not targeted at one individual but many

78. Mi-Chele Kings-Charles says:

I'm Guyanese and do not consider myself Caribbean…We're the only English speaking country in South America. We may identify more with many Caribbean countries than our South American neighbours because of our foods, hobbies, music, etc. but we're uniquely our own.

79. Neetah Cohen says:

Shanielle Browne McEachnie I agree i am from new york and every GUYANESE I HAVE EVER MET WILL TELL THEY ARE SOUTH AMERICAN.

80. Ali Dee says:

Cecily Tyson, from the island of Nevis

81. Jah Blessed says:

CARICOM was started in Guyana. Yes, it is a South American country with Caribbean culture. That is stated by all the Guyanese I know. I would get tired explaining it to people….after correcting Americans and telling them Guyana and Ghana are 2 different countries, as that seems to be a mistake made by many in the US who are not Caribbean or of Caribbean descent.

82. Jay Heyward says:

..we all have the right to be proud of heritage, and YES whites do participate n this, italian .polish, german etc. if they didn't, we wouldn't know that Lady gaga is italian, Milla Kunis is russisian, and Vanessa Hudgens is black, c'mon u sound like a hater

83. Jay Heyward says:

AND CURIOUS AS TO HOW YOU FOUND THIS ARTICLE @DAVENPORT???

84. guyana is aprt of the british west indies thus making it commonwealth caribbean and is apart of the (CARICOM). but geographically its south american. im guyanese. i consider myself south american or west indian interchangeably. but not caribbean. the only reason why people get confused is bcuz people use the terms caribbean and west indian interchangeably. the caribbean is the the geographical location and the west indies are islands and mainland countries (guyana, belize) that were ruled by the british. bermuda, the bahamas arent actually geographically in the caribbean. they are in the atlantic ocean but are considered west indian due to it being apart of the british west indies and the CARICOM. i hope this shed some light

85. Alseta Gholston guyana is aprt of the british west indies thus making it commonwealth caribbean and is apart of the (CARICOM). but geographically its south american. im guyanese. i consider myself south american or west indian interchangeably. but not caribbean. the only reason why people get confused is bcuz people use the terms caribbean and west indian interchangeably. the caribbean is the the geographical location and the west indies are islands and mainland countries (guyana, belize) that were ruled by the british. bermuda, the bahamas arent actually geographically in the caribbean. they are in the atlantic ocean but are considered west indian due to it being apart of the british west indies and the CARICOM. i hope this shed some light

86. They were born in America so they are American not Haitians. As simple as that

87. Porchia Mat says:

Well I'm from St. Kitts and mix and glad not many Kittittians and Nevisian about lol

88. Porchia Mat says:

89. Ezra Joaquim says:

I like these comments! It's a good snapshot of what we think of ourselves. I am a proud Trini but aspire to be the quintesstial 'Caribbean Man' at home on any island. The 'Guyana' debate was very interesting! My Guyanese brothers and sisters have more in common with West Indians (history, politics, food, culture) than they do with South Americans (geography). So Guyanese people have the same British West Indian heritage as the rest of the English speaking Caribbean Islands and therefore by extension they are considered Caribbean nationals. To demonstrate how much Guyana is a Caribbean territory- the seat or Head Office of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), is in Guyana. So yes, technically, Guyanese people are South Americans but don't call them that! LOL! They are proud West Indians and Caribbean nationals!

90. Ezra Joaquim says:

91. Rhianna's mother is Guyanese. That should be relevant information for the topic here, no?

92. Rhianna's mother is Guyanese. That should be relevant information for the topic here, no?

93. Cicely Tyson – Nevis, Rudy Langlais -St. Kitts, Joan Armotrading – St. Kitts

94. I was born in Jamaica and regardless of what races i am associated with i still would love to know how far back my bloodline goes. As black people we are one of the races that has it the hardest to find our roots. To some people it doesnt matter but to me it does. It helps to know.

95. Muy Bonita , Good reply. It is usually Africans or African Americans who have a problem with other people of color that are multi-racial from the West Indies or Latin America. As if we should be ashamed of everything that makes us who we are just to make them feel better about themselves, since they don't know their history or aren't mixed. I am a multi-racial West Indian and proud and I will never let someone come along and label me. I label myself.

96. Shoya Clough-Encarnacion Yea, I can't stand it. The labeling usually comes from people who don't know where they are from.

97. You can't be half a Nationality.

98. Dale Cole says:

Guyana is clearly a South American nation .
    The map doesn't lie.

99. Rhonda Rhonda says:

No matter where you come from, as long as you're a Black man ( or woman) you're an Africa."

100. Rhonda Rhonda says:

Amen

101. Rhonda Rhonda says:

My amen is to Sosonya's wise comment. True.

102. Rhonda Rhonda says:

True Felecia lol

103. Rhonda Rhonda says:

I can't disagree more. Sounds Ike you're trying to distance yourself.

104. Rhonda Rhonda says:

If the Caribbean rules then why are all of these Carib stars living the USA?

105. Marie Campbell says:

Rey Gutierrez i just hate when ppl uses the terms African American you either African and gone to the US to live and get citizenship or yo American you cant born in America never went to Africa but calling yourself African American

106. Marie Campbell says:

Muy Bonita you so rashole rite mah girl if yuh born in Africa yuh African if yuh born in African and have US citizenship well yuh could call yuhself African American but it sicken me to hear all them idiots in the US who is black calling themselves African American some of them ass never even see Africa

107. Chris Martin says:

The Nationalities kill me. they talk about people of Puerto Rican descent. Are the black Puerto Ricans, White Puerto Ricans, Taino? Then talking about Maxwell, his Spanish heritage, He is may speak Spanish, and may be from Puerto Rico, but his heritage is African, not Spain.

108. Rhonda Rhonda don't be ridiculous. they went for whatever various reasons. maybe their parents or grandparents moved, a lot of them are mixed with different nationalities. Rihanna left here, in Barbados for her career, for example.

109. Alicia Randall says:

Don't be silly Rhonda, it's a free world and people are allowed to move and live where they want!

110. Cindy Daz says:

Shoya Encarnacion their first generation Haitian, or Haitian American.. My parents are form Haiti but I was born here, so I don't consider myself African American or just American, I consider myself Haitian American, or just plain Haitian. And I know ALOT of other American-born Haitians who feel the same way.

111. Cindy Daz says:

some of the celebs in this article are NOT JUST BLACK, they are mixed race… I don't understand why people call others black when they are not fully black but mixed with something else. they wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the other races they were mixed with.

112. Phoenix Starr says:

not if she was born and raised in Barbados. which she was.

113. Phoenix Starr Um, her mother is GUYANESE. Rhianna was born and raised in the Barbadoes but, since the article points out parentage birthplace for most of these people, then it's worth noting that HER MOTHER was BORN and RAISED in Guyana.

114. Rere Mason says:

Big up to all west indian roots…smart parents
    Foreparents some travelled to earn a higher dollar to send backyard…thnx for not forgetting your roots nuff respect..nuff love…caribbean does run it!

115. Simon Si says:

The article also referred to Colin Powell as having Jamaican parents, and many others with parents from another country, why did you only point out the American-born celebs with Haitian parents? It's a little absurd.

116. Simon Si says:

That's a weak excuse. Besides the fact that it's not true. The article listed as many if not more celebs of Bahamian and Jamaican parents. Once again, your post was very ABSURD. SMH. #unreal

117. Felicia Cain says:

The point is this, If your parents are Haitian, Jamaican, Trinidadian, or Bahamian, so are you. What is really "Absurd" is how you're picking at my comment.

118. Simon Si says:

What's absurd is you singling out one group of people in your initial post even though the article clearly mentioned several other groups, and then after being called out on it, you now include the other groups. ABSURD INDEED. SMH.

119. It's not just entertainment celebrities. How about Marcus Garvey (Jamaica)? Louis Farrakhan (father from Jamaica, mother from St. Kitts). Colin Powell (parents from Jamaica). Harry Belafonte (father Martinique, mother Jamaica). Malcolm X (mother from Grenada). Sidney Poitier (parents Bahamas). Malcolm Gladwell (father from Jamaica). Gil-Scot Heron (Father from Jamaica). Eric Holder (parents from Barbados). That's just off the dome, the list is much longer. Ther are West Indian-American leaders in every area. And forget about music, especially NY rap: Biggie, Pete Rock, Busta Rhymes, Wyclef Jean, Nicki Minaj, A$AP Rocky, LL Cool J, Flatbush Zombies, Joey Bada$$

120. Ali dee from nevis!!!!

121. Jason Lewis says:

Malcome X mother is from Grenada

122. The bahamas is not in the caribbean its in the atlantic

123. Rhianna is from Barbadoes

124. Tim Duncan is from the St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. Please update your list o_O

125. Sam Samuels says:

Do you people realize that you're stating and talking about NATIONALITIES???!!! If anyone here were stating or talking about ETHNICITIES and/or RACE, that would be a different story/topic! If your parents, or parent's parents are from one of those obsolete islands, what the hell does that have to do with where their child was born? Unless the child was born on one of the aforementioned, they're the nationality of the soil they were born on (in most cases)!!! Also, PLEASE explain to me WHY having ancestry on one of those islands MATTER??? Is it for your own personal satisfaction? I've NEVER been able to figure that out. I've traveled to many an island, I actually prefer the Polynesian islands, and cannot understand what all the hub-bub is about. According to AMERICAN standards, the natives speak, write and communicate horribly, on a large scale. Just read a few of these comments. Their contributions to American society have been, by-and-large, miniscule in comparison to the Black Americans, and their habits are primitive as hell. Maybe this has something to do with the complexities of not having anything (pot to piss in – window to throw it out of)? Or, maybe all of the 'bragging' means something on those islands, because it means shit here. Another thing I truly don't understand is why they come here waving their damn countries' flags. If you REALLY love it so much, PLEASE GO HOME!!! You don't need American Dollars, Culture, Support, Jobs, Homes, Spouses (LOL), Dream, etc. Go live the Caribbean Dream. You guys are AMUSING!!! You all talk about one another like dogs and then come here and attempt the same with the NATURALLY BORN AMERICANS! Well, have a Great Life, wherever you choose to have it. Just have enough RESPECT to do as the Romans when you're in Rome! Ya Dig?! Signing-Off – Black American ME.

126. I am born here in the good old USA and half trini and Guyana on my mother side, my father is from the south. my mothers trini side is Spanish and her indian side is indian and black. this debate about Guyana is silly We all know the Guyana is the west indian stop talking about the map because in the same sentuce I can say Trinidad is part of south America which I hear it was a long time ago.also what about Beyoncé is she bahima or hatiti I hear these two island when her name come up sorry for spelling.

127. Sidney Poitier was born In Miami to Tomato importers from Cat Island in the Bahamas.

128. Alexander James Dallas born Kingston jamaica.

Son, George M. DALLAS WAS THE 11 VICE president to James Pulk

129. Also, Dourathy Dandridge, was born to Jamaican mother

130. Puerto Rican and Black?

131. my mother family is from barbados so im proud to see other americans with carribean descent like me

132. yea thats hate im of carribean descent as well we love are roots barbados

133. Shoya Clough-Encarnacion even if a haitian was born in america to me they are still haitian i call my self a bajan american that's what i'm born in america with bajan ties

134. Cindy Daz i agree they are haitian american

135. ICandii Li says:

Sam Samuels Lol whats wrong with sporting my heritage in America? What's wrong with me walking around with a Jamaican flag? So when in Rome, throw away my culture? LOL oh ok. the ignorancy is strong in this one. There's nothing wrong with feeling proud of your history.. Just because i migrate abroad doesnt mean ill throw my culture away and even if i was born in America to jamaican parents doesnt mean i cant reconnect with my ancestry and embrace and uphold it. I dont see why youre frustrated with something that obviously has nothing to do with you. Maybe you were born in America. so? Your ass maybe Native or from AFRICAAAAAAAAAAAA.. just because u dont wanna embrace or uphold that doesnt mean anybody else cant. You sound like s self hating coon

136. ICandii Li says:

LOL "naturally born americans". As if when war time and drafting comes they wont consider u black like the rest of us and throw your ass on the front line to die for them. u need to calm down. u dont know anything about us caribbean people and what we go thru so u really dont have any grounds for speech

137. Xtina Zee says:

I'm half Jamiacan on my dad's side and Puerto RIcan from my mother's.

138. I think it's a great article thanks for the info. Being that my father is African I always like to know where folks are from originally.