News of Campbell-Martin filing for divorce came in July 2018 after the former couple were married for 21 years and together for 27. The former “Martin” star also filed a restraining order against Martin on Jan. 24, 2019, for the alleged abuse.
Then on Monday, Jan. 28, an affidavit surfaced online, and in it Campbell-Martin said the abuse started shortly after they got married.
“I had been emotionally, mentally and physically abused,” she wrote. “I kept things hidden from my family, his family, our friends and the public, save a few very close friends and people who may have witnessed, over the past two decades, filing it away in the back of my mind to protect my family, the community and the public’s persona of my spouse.”
The actress’ affidavit recounted one particular Easter Sunday when one of her family members was in the home during the alleged abuse.
“On Easter morning 2016, there was an argument between Duane and I that ended with Duane using my neck to slam me against the wall, choking me in our bedroom,” Campbell-Martin detailed. “I immediately got quiet and walked down the stairs to the kitchen.”
“I was rubbing my neck, hoping the red marks would go away by the time the guests arrived. I stopped short when I saw my cousin Dominique Stockley in the kitchen, who had been waiting to help me. I could tell she heard everything. I gave her a ‘Don’t ask me anything and don’t say a word’ look.”
In June 2018 Campbell-Martin claimed that Martin had hidden money since they filed for bankruptcy two years previously. And according to TMZ, bankruptcy officials agreed with those claims, because they said the actor received money from a real estate deal, a clothing store he owned, and was given a $1.4 million loan from Will and Jada Pinkett Smith. But he never disclosed those funds to officials in the bankruptcy case.
Martin hasn’t responded to the domestic abuse allegations yet, but Tisha’s entire letter can be seen here.