8534090-largeJust when Charles Barkley thought the backlash was over from his comments about supporting the Michael Brown and Eric Garner grand juries, one of his statements amid the controversy—”Slavery was not all that bad”—sparked the ire of one of his home state senators.

Alabama Sen. Hank Sanders, D-Selma, took Barkley on a history lesson in an open letter he posted on Facebook:

Dear Mr. Barkley:

I write you out of love. I write you out of profound pain. I write you out of deep concern. I hope you accept this letter in the spirit that I write.

Mr. Barkley, I understand that you said, in so many words, that slavery was not so bad and that you were tired of people bringing up slavery. I was shocked by both statements. Then I was mad. Then I was terribly disappointed. Finally, I was just in deep hurt and great pain. Now, I am trying to help you and all those who may think like you.

Mr. Barkley, allow me to tell you why slavery was “not so bad,” but very, very bad. First, African people were snatched from their families, their villages, their communities, their tribes, their continent, their freedom.  African people were made to walk hundreds of miles in chains. They were often beaten, poorly fed and abused in many ways. Women and girls were routinely raped. The whole continent was ravaged and still suffers to this day. Mr. Barkley, this is very, very bad.

Third, African people were broken like wild animals. They were stripped of every element of their identity. Their names were taken. Their languages were taken. Their religions were taken. Their histories were taken. They were forbidden to have family. They had no rights to own anything. They were considered property. Their personalities were permanently altered. Their freedom was taken. They became chattel sold from “slave blocks.” This crushing of identity impacts us to this day.  I call it the psychology of the oppressed. Mr. Barkley, this is very, very bad.

Fourth, African Americans were worked from “kin to can’t;” that is from “can see” in the morning to “can’t see” at night. There was no pay for their long, hard labor. Many were poorly fed. Most felt the lash of the whip. All felt the lash of the tongue. Many were repeatedly raped. Their children and other loved ones were sold at will. Some mothers killed their baby girls so they would not have to endure the ravages of slavery. Mr. Barkley, this is very, very bad.

Fifth, African Americans had no right to defend themselves no matter what was done and how wrong it was. By law, they could not even testify against their abusers. As U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger B. Toney said in the 1857 Dred Scott case, “A Black man has no rights a White man is bound to respect.” This became the law of the land and its legacy bedevils us to this day. Mr. Barkley, this is very, very bad.

Sixth, African Americans were perceived and treated as sub human. The only way enslavers could square this terrible treatment with their Christian beliefs was see us as less than human. Therefore, they could proudly place such beautiful words in the Declaration of Independence and the U. S. Constitution with impunity: i.e.—”We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” To them, African Americans were not human so these beautiful words did not apply. Even the U.S. Constitution designated us as 3/5 of a person. That’s why White terrorists, in and out of uniforms, can kill us without punishment. The legacy of being less human lingers with us today. Black lives are worth much less than White lives. Mr. Barkley, this is very, very bad.

Seventh, it required great violence to implement and maintain the worse form of human slavery known to humankind. It required unbridled violence by enslavers, slave catchers, local, state, federal governments and the entire society. Maintaining the institution of slavery created a very violent society that infests us to this day. That’s why the United States has far more violence than any country in the world. Mr. Barkley, this is very, very bad.

Eighth, even after slavery formerly ended, we still had Jim Crow. These same imbedded attitudes generated state-sanctioned terrorism for nearly another 100 years. The Ku Klux Klan and other terrorist groups hanged, mutilated, maimed and murdered without any punishment. It was state sanctioned terrorism because the “state” did not do anything to prevent it. That’s why even during the Civil Rights Movement murders took many years before even a modicum of justice was forged. Just look at the deaths of Medgar Evers, James Chaney, the four little girls murdered by the bombing of a Birmingham church and so many others. That is why today Trayvon Martin could not walk the streets of his neighborhood and Jordan Davis could not play loud music in his car and Eric Garner was choked to death and Michael Brown was gunned down. Mr. Barkley this is very, very bad.

Mr. Barkley, if you knew your history, you would not say slavery is not so bad and you are tired of people bringing up slavery. The legacy of slavery is everywhere. However, you are not totally to blame because you were deliberately denied the opportunity to learn your history. That is one more legacy of slavery. I hope you will seek the full history for yourself so that you will not ever say such things again.

In deep concern,

Hank Sanders

72 thoughts on “Alabama State Senator Hank Sanders Schools Charles Barkley on Violent Impact of Slavery

1. Michael Green Sr. says:

The best thing bark-ley ever said was that he is no 'role model.' So why should anyone care about anything he says?

2. Etheleen Lawrence says:

Charles Barkley being a black man, if just in skin color alone, white people will believe and or take to heart that what he says is some how true, and this couldn't be farther from the truth. Slavery was in no way not that bad, it was torture for black people. Yet, it was good for white folks. Maybe he's repeating the words of his wife, she being a white woman. Because as is clear Charles Barkley himself doesn't have the mind for critical thinking skills, as anyone can see.

3. First let me say I am a fan of Mr. Charles Barkley and admire his open "say it like your mean it attitude". However, now I'm sitting here contemplating how to comment to Mr. Charles Barkley tactfully regarding his comment on "Slavery was not all that bad". What were you thinking? Well, all I will say about your comment Mr. Barkley is that the Alabama Sen. Hank Sanders, D-Selma, put it down! Now, I hope and pray you Mr.Barkley will take the time to perhaps print off and pick up this beautifully written history lesson- and from time-to-time and read to heart what has been written. "Slavery… Is VERY BAD" as Senator Hanks states. So bad in fact it pains me to read the reminders carved in our memories of yester-years and some very current. As well, once you read this letter (and I hope you will read all of it) and you too will feel bad enough that those who opened doors for you then their living would not have been in vain.

4. Alfred Espinoza says:

Charles Barkley for president. He would do more to for good racial relations then obama did

5. Merl Seeker says:

A brain is a terrible thing to waste. He may have some education, but he lack some common sense. And Yes, he is partially to blame, as a grown man you've heard what Dr. KING fought & stood for, equality, common sense plays a big part in learning more about your history other than basketball. Political Office Absolutely Not………

6. Jerry Ward says:

Barkley is afflicted with a serious case of House nigger syndrome.

7. John Corker says:

Mr Barkley needs a lot of prayer and a library card.

8. If we needed an intelligent analysis of any kind Mr Berkeley we have Koby Bryant,Shaq,Jordan.
    Charles stop proving your ignorance everytime you open your mouth. Stick to sports and even there you are still low on the rankings.

9. Rick Smith says:

Maybe I should build a Time ~ Machine and send Charlie back to the Year of 1820 , This so call African ~ American either has bump his head with a basketball or he's been giving a lot of money by the system or he is just that dumb or he's just somebody's UNCLE! ~ Correction I mean TOM!

10. Rick Smith says:

EVERY TIME THIS FOOL OPENS HIS MOUTH ALL HIS BRAINS FALL RIGHT ON THE FLOOR!

11. Angel McShan says:

Standing ovation….enough said.

12. Alfred Espinoza says:

Or how about sending Charles Barkley further back in time to the beginning of the slave trade between Africa and europe. Barkley would see HOW BLACK AFRICAN TRIBES WOULD SELL OTHER BLACK MEN women and children from a different tribe to white European English and Spanish traders for a mere profit.
    Charles Barkley would feel even more righteous conviction witnessing the black on black crime of this period.

13. Stacey Roland says:

Charles Barkley is an stupied fool you are still a N to them you just happen to be rich your mother should be ashamed of you your ancestor's are turning in their graves not bad you say if only we could send your white ass kissing self back in time you are just the right height and size you would sell quickly and put your ass in the fields because that's where you belong or better yet why don't you put your daughter on the market you might get top dollar for her so she can be raped and forced to do unthinkable acts you wouldn't let your pets do mr Barkley because according you slavery wasn't that bad . BOY

14. Lloyd Lawrence says:

CHARLES BARKLEY…FERGUSON…ALABAMA
    I have been troubled by this subject all week. I have avoided posting my thoughts on it. I am very private. After watching a football game today, I couldn't hold back. These are my thoughts, and mine alone. This is my vent, you do not have to agree with me.
    Charles Barkley grew up in Alabama. Never set foot outside of that backwoods wallow until he played his first out of state game for dear old Auburn.
    He can not string two sentences together. Absent basketball, he would be eating out of trash cans.
    He suffers from an ingrained Alabama grown Patty Hearst Syndrome. White is always right in Alabama no matter how egregious the crime. Charles has voiced this self denigration more times than I can count.
    I feel about Charles the same way I felt watching Alabama and Auburn last week with all those young Black Men giving their hearts and bodies for the greater glory of the State of Alabama.
    Unmindful or uncaring that half of them will not graduate, even less will make the NFL, the rest will be discarded to the junk heap of college football.
    Unmindful or uncaring that the week before, in that State, their parents were not allowed to vote. Most of their cheering classmates want this to continue.
    Unmindful or uncaring that their talent and their minds could have been nurtured by a loving faculty at Tuskegee or Alabama State.
    Unmindful or uncaring that after the game, when the cheering stopped, when they shed the false protection of the Crimson Tide uniform, they like Michael Brown would become "Black Demons" again.
    Unmindful that if they venture downtown to celebrate or get a hamburger, they are likely to suffer the same fate as Michael Brown.
    Roll Tide, War Eagle, Ferguson, according to Charles Barkley.

15. Righteous statement!

16. It was common for an individual of any race to be a slave, until the Dutch decided the high contrast from their own skin color would make captivity easier. White Europeans enslaved white Europeans, various kingdoms and tribes of Africa enslaved their own, and it was quite common to sell to a neighboring state etc.

But in all of recorded history, the treatment of black slaves in America is the absolute cruelest. Whites didn't treat their white slaves like complete scum. That started with us. Because they wanted to justify their capitalist greed, they branded us as animals. Sub-human beings. Something that could work on their fields for the cheapest possible labor. White men couldn't treat their own brethren like that.. But they would ours because we different.

The legacy of it all continues to this day..

17. People seems to think slavery happen only on a farm in America. The wars and brutal violence that occurred in villages in Africa to catch and kidnap family members was a brutal genocide millions of African.

18. NEVER!! I MEAN NEVER SMOKE THAT SHIT AGAIN…

19. Thank you Ms. Roland for not giving this ASSHOLE any respect. He should"nt get any. N you just set us back 200 years. You truly are a dick head….

20. First of all Charles Barkley never said slavery was "not so bad". He was getting ready to say slavery is the worst thing that ever happened but then he stopped himself before he could get it out. His point was that he himself, like practically every Black person alive, never actually experienced slavery. Too many of us, go around acting like we were slaves and the white people we encounter today are slave owners. That's what his point was. We are free! Stop acting like a damn slave and do something productive with your freedom. Again, I'm not saying all Blacks have the slave mentality but too many of us do. It's disrespectful to the people that really suffered through slavery that 1. You act like you went through it. and 2. You don't take advantage of the freedom you have after all the suffering our ancestors went through.

21. How do you define "being Black"? Do you mean we all have to think the same way? That sounds like something a racist would say. and by the way Barkley never said slavery is not so bad. Hank Sanders is either a liar, an idiot, or both. Watch the video to see what Barkley really said.

22. Etheleen Lawrence says:

Tony Bartlett: Your a white guy or either you're cut from the same cloth as Charles Barkley.

23. Smeek Meek says:

We all know Barkley is prototypical Black sell out, he came from nothing found a way to make a lot of money and ass kissed the white man all the way to the top of his field. A man like him would never give up his love for money over who he really is.

24. Etheleen Lawrence says:

Tony Bartlett: You're not black, so how in the hell can you speak on the black experience, in entrenched racist/ white supremacist nation. You think black people are free…that's the give away that you're white. Go set your a** down…you're not qualified.

25. Etheleen Lawrence I am Black. You just think we must all think alike which is not unlike the thinking of KKK. But if you think that being Black is being ignorant like you then, by that definition, I guess I am not black. Maybe people like you are why we can't move forward as a group. We ARE free it's just that some of us are enslaved in the brain. Maybe that's your problem.

26. Etheleen Lawrence I am Black. You just think we must all think alike which is not unlike the thinking of KKK. But if you think that being Black is being ignorant like you then, by that definition, I guess I am not black. Maybe people like you are why we can't move forward as a group. We ARE free it's just that some of us are enslaved in the brain. Maybe that's your problem.

27. Barkley is an inbysil and it's because of so-called black people like him why we the true black are always been sold out. I don't care how powerful you Barkley thinks you are, you just couldn't open your stupid mouth and say those words in my presence,I would surly let you swallow them with a few teeth

28. Etheleen Lawrence This is why we as a people can not move forward. We have to all think the same way which obviously hasn't worked for us. If you are black and you condemn negative behavior, you are not black. If you reject the liberal/socialist agenda, you are not Black. If you do anything positive, you are not Black, trying to be white. If you happen to take the side of a white person on a issue, you are not black. Then we wonder why we don't have S**&t! This is not all black people, we just have too many like you Etheleen!

29. Rod Echols says:

Tony Bartlett I understand what you are saying and see that you are doing the same thing you accused Tony Bartlett of doing. Us so called "Black" people don't all think the same. People don't all think the same. Racism and Black and White are all contrived constructs that keep U.S. from moving forward for sure. Where I do agree with you is we can't keep getting stuck in what happened, but we and I mean all people, not just so called "Black" people cannot ever forget. So, with that said, what needs to happen is we need healing and real reconciliation. And unfortunately that requires a critical mass of both so called "Black" and so called "White" people to move forward. As a so called "Black" man I try to move forward and then I am constantly struck by the results of slavery and White Privilege. And the reality that so called "White" people don't want to admit that White Privilege exists. Now mind you, I believe that God Is and so called White people are no closer to God than anyone else. However, when it is constantly thrown in my face it is challenging.

And I don't want to accuse you of anything so I won't, but your statements about what will cause you to not be viewed as Black are not true. So called Black people don't own any of the things that you claim will get one ostracized from being "Black". You see none of U.S. are "Black". None of U.S. are "White". We are all "People", Human Beings who are not perfect who are challenged with our conditions and our environment.

And our environment is one where the rules were made when we weren't around and the pie was baked when we couldn't get a piece. And now we are supposed to pull ourselves up from our bootstraps when we don't have any straps on our boots. And I say that for so called Black and White folks. And the story that is being propagated is that we are enemies. When the real enemies of People continue to eat all of the pie.

So I say to you and all else to hear that we need to get out of the shame and blame of slavery and make sure that it never happens again. And figure out how to heal and tear down the lies that have kept U.S. in a perpetual loop of ignorance and anger about something that we can't go back and change.

So I am glad that all of this is happening because it didn't come to resolve in the 60's, we just all drank the kool-aid and got a job – that none of could predict would be taken by technology and cheaper labor overseas. So now, this time, we have to go all the way. So let the ignorance be known, because what's in the Light can be healed. What's in the Dark will fester and grow rotten in the Dark. So I'm not mad at Charles Barkley, I'm not mad at so called White people. And I'm definitely not mad at people who don't have boots or straps. And that's why I want U.S. to use our ability to solve problems to solve the one that is so prominently coming into the Light. Light reveals all and the Truth will set you Free.

30. Michael Green Sr. says:

Etheleen Lawrence Tony Bartlett • Posted a month ago on CNN

'On the one hand, according to the left, Bush is the worst president ever. On the other hand when they need to defend Obama the say "Bush did it too" Maybe we should have just given Bush a third term.' Our friend Tony Bartlet is a TROLL! and more than likely White. That was posted on 'fox-lite,' namely 'cnn.' Elgin,Il has a Black population of 7%, 65% white and 43% Hispanic. Check out his Face Book page.

31. Michael Green Sr. So "Black" from your point of view, is where you live and your politics? What other criteria do you use to qualify someone as black? You too sound like the KKK. In your little mind my views about Obama somehow make some point about other things I might have an opinion on? My main point about this article is that the author is lying about what Barkley said. Instead of making an intelligent argument you and Etheleen ignorantly challenge my blackness. You accept the authors lie as a fact. You two can't see your own racial prejudice and therefore you will always be a slave to the past. And by the way, I grew up in roseland not far from Olive Harvey, and no, I haven't forgot where I came from. I go there every week and I am reminded with every visit, what the so-called black leaders and the political left have tragically done to the place I once called home.

32. Michael Green Sr. says:

Tony Bartlett Show us what you really look! Don't your face.

33. Rod Echols I mostly agree with you. I'm not so hung up on race. I am what I am and I didn't have to do anything to do with the race/color I am. I was just responding to people who tell you you aren't black if you disagree with their point of view.

Now I will challenge this notion that people can't make it 'cause they don't have bootstraps. I see people coming to this country every day with absolutely nothing. They can't even say bootstraps in English. and they make it. I'm not against helping needy people. This is a moral obligation in my view, but those of us who are born here should have a big advantage vs those who come here with nothing but somehow, in many cases, they pass many of us up in less than a generation. There is more to this than just starting off poor. Something else is missing and we need to figure out what that something is.

34. Etheleen Lawrence says:

Tony Bartlett: I've saw some of Charles Barkley's interview's and nothing he said was good for black peoples. And I didn't hear him say slavery wasn't that bad, in those a exact words, yet, that was what he said in so many words. Yet, I can guarantee you…if there were more people like me, black people would not still be going through this racism..we would be treated no different than whites in this country. Too long we have prayed, too long we have waited, too long we have talked and not one of these have moved us any farther, or gained us acceptance to be treated equal. You think your free, I know I'm free because I am free in my mind and always have been.when I say blacks are not free…I'm talking about police brutality, the white media's propaganda war on black people, the mis-education of black children, the disparities in financing, housing, education, labor and jobs, medical, and white folks need for blacks to assimilate into their culture and ideology. This is what I mean by slavery, and lets not forget the mass incarceration of black men for little or no crime at all. Please!!! are we truly free.

35. Etheleen Lawrence says:

Charles Barkley is the butler in the movie D'jingo.

36. Alvin Hall says:

get your white ass from behind that black picture

37. Charles needs to shut up and learn instead talking by heart.

38. Lucille, Charles needs some wisdom to what is right. He needs some knowledge too. Being just outspoken without some virtues will expose u as being a fool. ( I am not anyone is a full.

39. Descendants of slaves owe no apology for the handicaps that have been passed on from CENTURIES oppression and brutality. Folks the oppression was complete and comprehensive. This cant be overlooked or treated lightly. This so called "God loving country" has not once been proactive in acknowledging much less attempting to rectify the effects. I believe folks tired of hearing about slavery are really ashamed of it. The thought that so many people black and white could still be impacted scares them. Folks this countries very constitution addresses commodity that served as part of the foundation of this country. That commodity was Africans. If America addressed the effects of oppression and bigotry on its citizens black and white with the same aggression and calculation used on Africans then later the descendants these conversations would be different.

40. I thought this site is predominantly for Black Africans to comment and for Caucasians and Hispanics to observe? I don't understand why foreigners keep interfering in family affair

41. Etheleen, I agree with your statement of what Barkley actually said about slavery. What I heard from the discussion, Barkley never said slavery was not that bad, his implied reasoning soft peddled slavery by saying that he had never experienced slavery , so he did not know how bad it was.. Well I don't think my friends in the Jewish community would say that Nazi Germany treatment of their ancestors was similarly unknown to them personally, because they did not feel the fire of the incinerators or the inhumane medical experiments on their ancestors at Auschwitz III, and therefore did not know how bad that experience was. The question for us is why does the media allow and promote the least of us, historically, to discuss and marginalized our pain? It's called leaderless propaganda. It's as if we have no experts,such as Dr. Asante, founder of the first Ph.D. African American Studies Program..

42. Mr. Barlett, I agree with your points also, but you limit slavery to chattel slavery there are millions of Blacks, still alive, who grew up on farms called sharecropper's plantations, so yes we have experience slavery. Work from sun-up to sun-down and live in a shack that was own by the plantation owner. School was denied to us most of the planting season and even when we went it was to the segregated and second class school. I remember as a young boy going to the beach for the first time and was told I could not swim in the larger more influential section of Myrtle beach that was designated white. Yet, in spite of the handicap we did better then than now as a people. Well of course we had jobs, even if it just fed us.

43. Martisse Brown says:

I'm thinking the same thing sister.

44. Etheleen Lawrence The bad news is, if you look at us black people as a group, is that we are at the bottom of all other groups. It can't be denied. You can blame someone else for that fact, but you can't deny the facts with any legitimacy. The good news is that we are in fact individuals free to make our own choices, and some of us have done ok for ourselves, our families, and our communities. My complaint is that too often we dismiss those who find a way to overcome, especially if they are conservative. Yes real freedom is economic freedom but it's a freedom that no one can give you. You really have to get it for yourself. So I'm glad you actually listened to what Barkley said. The fact that you conclude that Barkley actually believes that slavery is not so bad is disappointing but I'm not mad at you for that. That "you aren't black BS is what really pisses me off. Because there is in fact real racism out there. My political views give me no relief from the real racism that actually exists. Most blacks love their people but we must be able to disapprove of behaviors that are self-destructive or we, as a people, will not move forward. But most of all we all must reject prejudice and intolerance no matter who it comes from.

45. TheArk OfPhiladelphia I get what you are saying about abstract slavery but in this context, who is the slave master? Everyone has to produce something of value to provide for their basic needs. is that slavery? I don't think so. I go back to the millions of people, not Europeans but others, who come here with nothing and quickly move up and beyond our people. Why is that? because we are inferior? No, of course not. But it could be because too many of us embrace inferior ideas and reject those ideas that actually produce prosperity. Or perhaps too many of us don't realize that we are, in fact, free.

46. Alvin Hall You cant' be black. Even the dumbest black person I know isn't as stupid as your dumb ass.

47. the only thing that Charles should talk about is Charles barkley.

48. Sheila Grace says:

Alfred Espinosa, you know very little about Black history and to take the obvious little that you do know out of context and apply it to present day crimes committed by Black Americans is quite typical of you and your kind (cops) with your racist mentality, no doubt you have acted on that racism. During the turn of the century all races sold their own into slavery, Europeans being the most notorious for slavery of their own. So, if that's the most knowledge you've retained out of Black history then you are pathetic. You could never begin to comprehend the damage that slavery has engraved on black people to this day.

49. Tony Bartlett , you are an ass! Period!

50. Anyone whose roots are Afrika should and must care? duh!

51. Anyone whose roots are Afrika should and must care? duh!

52. Tony Bartlett He did say it check espn Hank is a good man and it would help u to picki up a book..Second, African people were placed in “slave dungeons” for weeks and sometimes months until the slave ships came. They were often underfed, terribly beaten, raped and stuffed together so tightly they could hardly move. African people were packed in the holds of ships with little space to even move. They performed bodily functions where they lay and then lived in it. They were oftentimes beaten, raped and abused mentally, physically and emotionally. Many died from disease and broken spirits. Some were so terribly impacted that they jumped overboard and drowned when brought to the deck of the ships. Millions died during the Middle Passage from Africa to the Americas. Mr. Barkley, this is very, very bad.

53. Tony Bartlett He did say it check espn Hank is a good man and it would help u to picki up a book..Second, African people were placed in “slave dungeons” for weeks and sometimes months until the slave ships came. They were often underfed, terribly beaten, raped and stuffed together so tightly they could hardly move. African people were packed in the holds of ships with little space to even move. They performed bodily functions where they lay and then lived in it. They were oftentimes beaten, raped and abused mentally, physically and emotionally. Many died from disease and broken spirits. Some were so terribly impacted that they jumped overboard and drowned when brought to the deck of the ships. Millions died during the Middle Passage from Africa to the Americas. Mr. Barkley, this is very, very bad.

54. what can you expect from a house negro?

55. what can you expect from a house negro?

56. Sure Alfredo but he would not do anything for u.

57. Sure Alfredo but he would not do anything for u.

58. If we think Charles is a dummy wait until he opens his mouth.

59. If we think Charles is a dummy wait until he opens his mouth.

60. Who thinks that> Shucks I am from a pais which had slavery before amerikkka and after?

61. Who thinks that> Shucks I am from a pais which had slavery before amerikkka and after?

62. Also why are there so many people who believe hank is wrong?

63. Also why are there so many people who believe hank is wrong?

64. It's not President Obama's job to repair race relations. It's everyone's job, except yours because you're too heartless and angry so you will remain part of the problem.

65. No you're not. All one has to do is go to your page, that says it all. TROLL!

66. this comment deserves an award

67. Liz Hayes says:

Any person who is a Critical Thinker will ignore Charles Barkley when he states slavery was not that bad!

68. Adrienne Yoshinio are you Black? You look light, bright, & damn near white to me. Maybe you are spying for the enemy? Why should anyone accept you as being black when you got a lot of the "enemy's" blood?