Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug

Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug

Last night hip hop powerhouses Young Thug and Rich Homie Quan teamed up with Rock the Vote to put on a concert in Atlanta encouraging young people of color to #turnoutforwhat and vote in today’s election. The irony of it all: Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug aren’t even eligible to vote today.

“I wasn’t able to vote,” Quan said in an interview with AtlantaBlackStar before he took the stage. “It was late. We registered today so next year we can vote.”

Despite not being able to actually vote themselves, Quan and Thug believe that it is important for them to lead by example—though in this case it’s more of a do-as-I-say-and-not-as-I-do type of situation.

“I feel it’s important to show people no matter who you are it’s always okay to vote and know what’s going on around you at all times,” said Thug.

Hearing Young Thug speak to the importance of being in tune with social issues is interesting following the controversy surrounding what he said recently on the red carpet at the BET Awards about how he wanted to stay out of the brewing conflict in Ferguson and leave it up to the law to handle.

According to Thug, the claims that he doesn’t care about what is going on in Ferguson and around the country are “ridiculous.”

“I lost my brother the same way,” Thug said. “The same street just like that. I looked at my mom cry just like that so I understand what happened and stuff. I understand how his mom and his dad feel and all for that. Everybody know we want to blow up them cops for doing that. I just felt like the BET Awards wasn’t the time to ask me nothing like that. You know I want to blow up the police for doing that. I looked at his mom and dad cry. I feel like that was one of the dumbest questions they could have asked me.”

Whether they intended to be or not, Thug and Quan have become role models for young people around the country and so the things that they do and say matter.

“Its almost like you’re on a pedestal,” Quan admitted. “If they see you do it, they are gonna do it. That’s how I look at it. It has to start somewhere.”

The show at the Tabernacle was free and open to everyone of voting age. The line was already beginning to wrap around the corner when the doors opened at 7 p.m as the free tickets were “sold out” well before the sun went down. A few lesser known performers opened up for Young Thug and Rich Homie Quan, getting the audience warmed up for what they really came to see.

Thug and Quan did not disappoint as they performed a variety of their individual and collaborative hits, including “Lifestyle,” “Walk Through” and “Get Out My Face.”

Although it was clear fans came to see the two rappers do what they do best, the theme for the night was never lost as the performers continually stressed the importance of voting throughout the show.

“We were thrilled to be working with these two distinctive artists who represent the future of hip-hop,” said Audrey Gelman, spokesperson for Rock The Vote. “Young Thug and Rich Homie Quan have a deep connection to an audience that is all too often left out of the political process. They recognize the importance of voting and want to make sure no one else misses the chance to make their voice heard just because they miss the registration deadline. Quan and Thug’s message is clear: if you’re registered, use that power to vote. If you’re not, it’s not too late to get ready for the next election.”

13 thoughts on “Young Thug, Rich Homie Quan Hold Rock the Vote Concert, Address Controversy Over Ferguson

1. Michael Bush says:

“Its almost like you’re on a pedestal,” Quan admitted. “If they see you do it, they are going to do it. That’s how I look at it. It has to start somewhere.”.

Plese tell me the kids aren't that stupid! Who the hell would copy those chumps?

2. Tony Tee says:

Sadly bro, it's a lot of people that follow and look up to them.

3. Fatt Kidd says:

I'd follow them before I follow you because a negative attitude towards others isnt healthy.

4. Michael Bush says:

Knock yourself out chump! You can blow dudes like them too!

5. Tony Tee says:

Michael Bush, see what I'm saying? He says he would rather follow them because of a "negative attitude " that is displayed towards others, but all these two rappers promote is negativity and disrespect toward our Black Queens and others. People don't think before they respond.

6. Fatt Kidd says:

Tony Tee Obviously, you don't think before you respond either. Explains why you're a top commenter. You got a lot to say but nothing worth saying.

Now, where your dumb ass made the mistake of showing how dumb and illiterate you are was when you gave the hint that I said I would follow anything Young Thug and Rich Homie Quan were doing. Replace them with Obama and I still don't care to be enlightened by somebody with a negative attitude towards human life. You too are pathetic.

7. Fatt Kidd says:

Michael Bush That is sexual harassment. If you make anymore attempts at oral sex with me I will contact authorities. This thread has be screen captured for proof. Thank you.

8. Michael Bush says:

Yea, Tony Tee, Ima let this fool do his promo/homo thang. Can't get into responding back and forth with effeminate dudes, feels like I'm talking to a 12 year old girl.

9. Tony Tee says:

Fatt Kidd Dumb? Illiterate? Pathetic? So we went from a discussion/debate to name calling. (Which contradicts every thing you say about having a negative attitude towards others) , all because you say that I hinted at something you actually said? Well, it appears that you and me both are Dumb, Illiterate, and Pathetic lol. You must have a crush on one of those rappers considering the fact that you got so angry at me just for stating a fact about something you said. Once again, Think Before You Respond !!!!!

10. Tony Tee says:

Michael Bush I feel ya bro, just had to get that last point across. Stay Blessed my Brother.

11. Fatt Kidd says:

Tony Tee Maybe. It's not negative to respond to negativity but if you wanna pretend like you tried to have a positive discussion then okay. I'm being negative. But there is no point in trying to have a discussion seeing as your first response shows that you are immature. If you can find anywhere here where I say I support Young Thug or Rich Homie Quan, then I'll apologize for calling you illiterate. If you can't then you cannot say my comment was negative because the definition of illiterate is not being able to understand what you read. Like you.

12. Fatt Kidd says:

Michael Bush Why do I have to be a effeminate or homo just because I pointed out that you went about brainwashing the wrong way? You cannot force your opinion on others if you treat them and talk to them like shit. They will only rebel. But you're so stupid that you think anybody disagreeing with you is a Young Thug fan when they are simply telling you that you're too much of an asshole for anyone to wanna follow you. Shit had nothing to do with anybody else but you and your tone. You guys are some homos lol

13. Tony Tee says:

Fatt Kidd I'm not about to back and forth with you My Brother. Apparently you are in your feelings. Have a Blessed day and stay safe in the A.