8 Black Celebrities Who Denied Being African-American

raven-symone

Raven-Symone

Raven-Symoné has a lot of talents.  She’s an actress, singer, songwriter, model, television personality, dancer, rapper and producer. She first appeared on television in 1989 on The Cosby Show as Olivia Kendall and stole Black America’s heart.

However, the former Cosby Show star shocked her fans when she told Oprah Winfrey during an interview that she didn’t want to be labeled “gay” or “African-American”: “I’m tired of being labeled. I’m an American. I’m not an African-American; I’m an American … I’m a colorless person.”

Devyn Abdullah

Devyn Abdullah

Devyn Abdullah told talk show host Wendy Williams, “I don’t really consider myself as a Black girl model. I know what my ethnicity is, but I’m fair-skinned, and I feel like I have an international look.” She not only took the audience by surprise, but her mentor, supermodel Naomi Campbell, was shocked as well. She famously quipped, “What the f*ck does she mean? That’s a disgrace! She’s a Black girl.”

shemar moore

Shemar Moore

Shemar Moore says that he doesn’t consider himself a “Black actor”: “I’m just Shemar Moore the actor. I’m very proud to be Black, but I’m just as much Black as I am white.”

zoe saldana

Zoe Saldana

Actress Zoe Saldana has said that she thinks “there’s no such thing as people of color.”

139 thoughts on “8 Black Celebrities Who Denied Being African-American

1. Bye Felicia says:

All IDIOTS especially that model chick lol.

2. Almost all of them are right, if you are biracial you have every right to identify yourself with the race you choose, obama is half white too. identity and genetics are more important than "looking black".

3. These people have the right to identify with whatever group they chose and we have the right not to support them with our dollars.

4. EVERYONE HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES.

5. Jared Purdy says:

Life is complicated. But, it is more complicated in the US than in many other parts of the world. Go figure.

6. Frankly I have always thought it to be a ridiculous expression : African American, do they call most others Euro- American? Black people call me white, I call them black, I see no harm in that.
    It is the connotations that some people make that gives it a certain value. To me it is just a way to refer to the color of someones skin. We are all brethren on a planet, no one is less or more than anybody else. But I am European…….

7. Doug Springs says:

we use to call it "passing", leave the non- white race, for the white race.

8. Stephanie Morton says:

I'm big racial black and Indian and I don't consider myself African American because I'm not from Africa and plus…it should be my choice but I'm happy with being who I really am …bi racial

9. Stephanie Morton says:

I'm sorry for the typo ..I'm bi racial

10. Alexander Thomas says:

I'm sorry, something is wrong from the other end of perspective when Kidada Jones tells her mom she can't be seen with her because her mom is white! WTF is that? So we are all over these people for deny they're black heritage but we are so myopic that we no tolerance and acceptance of their white heritage. Hey she came out a white women's womb…hello! It's just much denial to say she is not white as it is to say she is not black…again…she was came out of a white woman's womb.

11. Honey you are making a rational appeal to people who lack reasoning skills. They are black supremacists and love when mixed race people deny any other heritage but their black side. She stayed in a white woman's womb for 9 months and has half of her genes!

12. I feel the same way! Why do Blacks living in America have to be called anything other than a American? We are a mixture of races…. We are American… That is it..

13. Zoe Saldana isn't even black. She's Hispanic.

14. It is black peoples fault. We put swirl babies on a pedastal. Ever seen a group of black women in a room full of babies. They all gravitate and dote over the lighter ones and ignore th darker ones. Look at Zoe Saldana. She's not even cute, she has no body but she's considered a goddess amongst blacks because she is light. Blame yourselves black people. Start seeing the beauty in people that look identifiably black.

15. Alexander Thomas says:

Paul Richards and let's be honest, race-wise, she looks a lot more like mom than dad. Most of these people dogging her, if they did not know who she was would assume she was white.

16. Alicia Minor says:

When it's all said and done, there would not be any other race without African Bloodline, which is in every race. So call yourself whatever you want, because when you do your family history search I bet your families are rooted from the AFRICAN NATION! Some of your ancestors will curse you for denying them!

17. Alicia Minor says:

So is my great grandmother, but she was considered black and sold as a Black slave!!

18. Alicia Minor says:

You are so right, But the problem is people denouncing the DARKER half of themselves.

19. Stephanie Morton says:

Okay and that was your grandma….not me!!!! This is history that happened.long ago and it didn't happen to me….and I was not born in Africa..wtf dont anyone understand

20. Alicia Minor says:

Stephanie Morton Get Wiser Babygirl, history has a way of repeating itself, You were not born in Africa and neither was I, however our bloodline is within…….All I am saying

21. Alicia Minor says:

Stephanie Morton Know your roots and protect your seed………..

22. To me it's nothing wrong with the celebrities claiming both sides. It's that they find something off putting being associated with black people. It's as if they have to speak this way to show they have to ties to black community. It reminds me when people would say "My other car is a benz". So they feel the physical vehicle, the black body they've been given isn't good enough, they must let everyone else know they have white blood in them.

23. Since when is Hispanic a race?

24. You got a problem with Hispanic people? You trying to say you're more important than me? Cuz I can tell you I'm definitely not white. I am Hispanic and so is she.

25. Lola Powell says:

Honey Hispanic is a culture not a race. I don't know you so it would be unfair for me to assume you're here in a America, but on the job applications here under the race section they always ask you if you are Hispanic first, but then right underneath that question it says check "Hispanic of African descent" or "Hispanic, not of African descent" because they want to identify the white ones from the black ones. Zoe Saldana is a Black Hispanic. That's like saying "Hey she's not black she's Jamaican" even though she's black. (just for example)

26. Stephanie Morton says:

Thank you ladies….I know my roots….and I am most definitely protecting my seeds…all im saying is that you can know where you come from and know your history…but the world we live in today is that you have choices. I have 13 aunts and uncles and on their birth certificates say black and negro and on my grandparents say mixed and they died with that…my dad and his sister's and brothers went and had it changed to Indian…I know a lot about my roots im just saying people have a choice to be who they choose to be.

27. Lola Powell says:

It's well known in our society that if you have a black parent that you will be identified as black, sometimes even because you have a black grandparent. People nowadays do like to say mixed from time to time, but in reality the majority of white society will only claim these "mixed" people when they're doing something admirable and they want to take some sort of credit for it by saying he or she is part white, but if the so called mixed person is doing something contrary then he/she is just considered black. If you have a little money sometimes you'll be treated better, but look at Obama these white people like to point out that he's mixed yet he's hated and still considered a ni**er to most. However blacks do have the dominant gene because we are the mothers and fathers of ALL people factually speaking so it's easy to see why even a person with a 1/4 black in them would be considered black. Now if you want to speak from a Biblical stand point then only those whose father's are black men are considered black because the man possess the seed. If these people knew their true history they would be dying to claim their "blackness", but hey at the same time everyone who looks like you doesn't play for your team.

28. Stephanie Morton , I was born in Africa and I live in Africa, and you know what? I'm proud. Africa is rising… all we need is time to prove that your perceptions about us is totally wrong. We have been kept in wars by resource-thirsty imperialists who want to suck our resources, unfair economic policies cause wide spread poverty in Africa. But thanks to China and other Eastern economies for helping Africa to find its footing. Very very soon, people like you will be proud of your African ancestry.

29. Lola Powell says:

It's really not in America sweety realistically you will get treated like what you look like and Obama doesn't even look mixed he's like me he just looks like a light-skinned black person…No one is going to say "Hey, look at that Negro he looks a little light skinned let me take a swab and check his DNA so I can see if I'm going to approve him for this home loan." Nope, if you look like a Negro pale or dark…you'll be treated like one.

30. Stephanie Morton says:

Who said I was not proud of my African ancestors…all you read on my post is that im not from Africa…..I love Africa.. and I love where im from and who I am

31. Oh so you're gonna tell me about me? That's how this is gonna be? Because you know what I am. You get to define me. Right. Of course. I must have forgotten. Racist.

32. Lola Powell says:

Lyzzi Lightning What are you talking about I never told you about yourself lol. You clearly don't even know what the word "racist" really means for you to be throwing it around so casually. Don't be mad at me because your bubble got popped. Didn't you read the other comment that said "Since when is Hispanic a race?" lol I was actually a lot nicer about it. Rosario Dawson , Rosie Perez, Sammy Sosa (before bleaching), LaLa Anthony…those are all Black Hispanics..Fyi learn what a racist really is because you're clearly not educated on what a racist is 🙂

33. Corigan Malloy says:

not in this lifetime, B.

34. Lola Powell says:

Lyzzi Lightning Omg I'm gonna kick your butt! Lmbo! I was like this little trollup is getting snappy with me haha. Ok we're cool 🙂

35. Corigan Malloy says:

the "Black Blood" percentage identification came about as part of a discriminatory move. unlike ALL other cultures, races, etc., ppl of color are identified easily by skin tone. the divisiveness among our own ppl comes from skin tone, and sadly, this is a hard entrenched mindset. the 1924 One Drop /Racial Integrity Act determined a person to be of African descent. the whole shebang is as flawed and as dangerous as the bible.

36. Lola Powell says:

Corigan Malloy Well that's a whole different story when we get to the Bible lol because I am all for the Bible. I consider myself an Israelite, so I don't consider the Bible dangerous, but I do think people misinterpreting it and using it to oppress other people is dangerous. When in reality the Bible is black people's book and history proves this, but to know it requires in depth reading and unfortunately so many people just aren't willing :-(. Like the former president of the Arab Republic said "I cannot respect the Jews because they left Israel black and came back white." Meaning those people are converts…not the real deal. We are. Deut. ch.28

37. Mark Calland says:

Who gives a f*** rude b****

38. Who say white is fair .shame on u n*&&*** remember kunta kinte.

39. Shani Shabiki says:

How exactly is recognizing your entire ethnic make up denying being black? If you have parents of different ethnicity then you are mixed. This article is stupid and pointless. How about you write something that can educate black instead of this crap.

40. Lol this is all sarcasm. I'm totally f***ing with you.

41. Ron Alaheïre says:

Stephanie Morton , you missed the whole point, being african is not limited to "coming" från Africa it is a state of mind and the restauration of the dignity of those who was stolen, enslaved, flaggeled, hanged, shot just for you to be free today, for you to vote, for you to have the freedom of speech. Anything people like you give as an argument to distance yourself from your african heritage would be a lack of gratefulness!

42. Ron Alaheïre says:

Paul Richards , Do you see the irony? It is about the one drop rule… Nobody cares about you having a white part, people will treat you according to the level of melanin you have. It is time for you to embrace what you are.

43. Ron Alaheïre that is not entirely true. I have white friends, colleagues and coworkers and they themselves will readily accept a mix raced person as such. The world is not just black or white. If you took the opportunity to leave America and see other countries where black and mixed race people live such as Europe or South Africa you will see that not all white people are racist until proven otherwise. It is black Americans who embrace the term African American. Not everyone native to the continent of Africa is 'black' and even black people in Africa find that term ridiculous. People should embrace both sides and as such, it is not up to you or anyone to determine what side they should embrace and what side to ignore.

44. Ron Alaheïre says:

Terrence Howard is lighter than any afro-american, this is his story: "Born in Chicago, IL on Mar. 11, 1969 and raised in Cleveland, OH, Howard experienced prejudice at an early age. At age three, Howard entered a department store with his family to see Santa Claus. His mother, Anita Williams, who was wandering around the store, had joined them in line. His dad, Tyrone Howard, being lighter-skinned to the point of appearing white, was accused by Caucasians behind him for allowing "black people" to cut the line. Tyrone declared that the woman was his wife and was content on leaving it at that. But a larger man instigated a fight and started choking him. In self defense, Tyrone grabbed a knife and fatally stabbed his attacker. Ultimately, Tyrone went to jail for manslaughter, leaving his young son to grow up without benefit of being raised by his father. At 19, Howard moved to New York City to become an actor. With no experience and little training, he began hustling his way through auditions, landing a few commercial gigs before pulling off a major coup: conning his way onto "The Cosby Show" (NBC, 1984-1992) by submitting a headshot and résumé with fake credits. The casting director hired him for an episode, but his scenes were significantly cut by Cosby. Full of righteous anger and devoid of common sense, Howard banged on the star's dressing room door and demanded satisfaction. An angry Cosby had him removed from the set and barred from ever returning. Howard's foolish reaction nearly killed the young actor's career before it began"

45. Ron Alaheïre says:

Paul Richards , tell me something new: 1- I am afro-european, my wife is white my children are lightskinned but they are proud of their african heritage. So I know how it works around the world 🙂

46. Ron Alaheïre then why do you assume that everyone is automatically treated one way because of the colour of their skin? Yes some racism exist but it is not a 24 hour all day everyday thing. Your experiences are not necessary the same as I or random other black person out there. Maybe this is true for some parts of America but don't use this as an example of how it is everywhere for black or mixed race people.

47. Ron Alaheïre says:

Paul Richards , unfortunately that is how it is, come to Europe and you ll find out. Take a trip to Russia or even to the african country of Morrocco and you ll be called monkey. It is easy to sit in a comfort zone and talk, the reality out there is scary!

48. Ron Alaheïre honey I live in London. Born in Jamaica but spent half of my life in the UK. So far I was never treated any differently for my colour. If anything I got promoted at work because of my talents, I was praised in school because of my grades. In fact my white teachers once told me that I spoke and wrote better English than most English people in my class. A lot of what you think is racism is probably because culturally you are different from them. But I on the other hand fit right in. So no I am not talking from a comfort zone, I am talking from experience.

49. Ron Alaheïre says:

Paul Richards . hahaha, you are a funny guy, where in my postings did I write that I was touched by racism? I never said such a thing. Look at my work title, since my moving to this country that I adopted, I have never played the race card, I worked for whole white organizations and always have been treated according to my skills and experience, I can say that the respect that I have got from the white people is a thing black people never gave me. So stop with your assumptions and try to show some empathy to the people that you have a slice of :D. My stand is to back up black people because even if you and I never experienced racism, doesn t mean 80% of blacks haven t so let s give them som empathy and understanding! This is not about you neither me! À bon entendeur, salut!

50. Jose A. Gomez says:

Zoe Saldaña being on this list is an error. She is of Dominican descent born in the US NOT African American. As a dark skinned latino I do not consider myself African American. It is not denial. I choose to identify with my language and cultural roots first and not skin color. Plus slaves in the carribean and south and central americas were treated differently than american southern black slaves. Ppl of color from the islands don't carry the baggage Black Americans do. We are not overly sensitive about our skin color while simultaneously screaming black pride like US Blacks do. You are all Americans not African American. When you begin to identify as Raven Simone does as a people THEN you will stop auto segregating yourselves. Racism is alive and well but, we must keep our dignity throughout. In fighting over light skinned dark skinned nonsense, shows you have not mentally left the plantation. Master (white mainstream media and black popular consciousness) still plays the field slave against the house slave only if you let them.

51. Jose A. Gomez says:

52. Jose A. Gomez says:

Lola Powell it is a culture and not a race but,black Hispanics identify with ALL hispanics. Perhaps Black Americans should learn to identify as American and not carry the complex of their dark skin on their sleeves.

53. Exactly. The thing about Hispanics is that light or dark skin, we mainly just identify as Hispanics. Not by color.

54. Alexander Thomas says:

Hey Paul and Ron, I am actually enjoying your conversation. I think we should have more conversations like that. We are not a monolith. I think we all experience the world (and it's racism) a little differently depending on our own sensibilities. I think we are all in agreement that it is there but for example, I have to align with Paul as far as racism outside of the US. I grew up and lived in America for almost 50 yrs of my life and have now live abroad for the last 10; London, Berlin and now Toronto, Canada. And my experience is that, though you can always find individuals who hold racist views, there is far less ingrained, institutionalize racism (or at least it seems – I mean, no, Russia is not on my list LOL) for instance, in 10 years I have not been harassed, searched, interrogated by cops. No walking or driving while black. I have not been followed around in a store. And I forget what that is like until I visit my homeland. I'm not saying it does not happen but in my experience far, far less…well in my case not at all, but I assume it happens somewhere. Also, I have to say, Ron, that I do get what you say about the "one-drop" rule. I can't speak for Paul, but it is not that I don't understand it…it is that I also understand who created it and who pushed and enforced it. The one-drop rule is not our invention. It was not our concept or nature to ignore and deny someone's full heritage. We were taught that. In fact, we had that beat into us. Know what I mean? just saying, something to consider. Ponder it for a second.

55. Chuck Dread says:

Fake ass ppl I'm American but I'm black first an foremost!

56. Lola Powell says:

Jose A. Gomez See that's what you don't understand. I never said Hispanics can't identify with all Hispanics. Now you're jumping to conclusions with statements that I never made. Also there are many Hispanics who do identify with being black. I think you have a complex because I never said anything like "Hispanics must be black screw their culture"…For example. I'm black and from America, my husband is black and from Haiti. I don't tell him hey you're black forget your Haitian culture that's ridiculous…smh. You completely don't understand what I said and at this point are a rebel without a cause because what you're saying wasn't my point. Also I have no complex. I love being black and I know my history very well thank you. A lot of black Hispanics are so full of self-hatred that the moment you call them black they get offended, but no one said they're not "still" Hispanic smh…why identify as only American when my roots are so much deeper…I have the capability to see the difference in others racially and culturally, but still appreciate them and love them along with the variations. Everyone doesn't have to identify as the same thing for me to feel comfortable, but apparently they do for you because omg if someone points out that there are black Hispanics you can't even handle that truth lol. YOU have the complex sir.

57. Stephanie Morton says:

Ron alaheire….wrong…your wrong…you don't know anything about me…I can sit here all day any have a long conversation with you and you still want know me and as I won't know you….I'm not on here saying anything wrong or mean or hateful…I just believe that FOR THE LAST TIME ME SAYING THIS IS THAT WE CAN BE WHOMEVER WE CHOOSE TO BE…ITS NO DISRESPECT TO OUR HERITAGE OR SLAVE OR AFRICAN AMERICANS OR AFRICA….NOW THAT'S FOR THE CONVERSATION BUT IM DONE LISTENING TO PEOPLE TRY AND TELL ME WHAT IM DOING OR SAYING IS WRONG….WHEN I LOVE MY PEOPLE ON MY BLACK SIDE AND MY INDIAN SIDE AND THATS THAT…GOOD DAY!!!!

58. Stephanie Morton says:

*thanks

59. Rigo Andino says:

Jose A. Gomez – hmmmm… I am not sure how to deal with some of the historical inaccuracies your propounded here.

First, let me agree with you on the fact that Zoe is Dominican and by her choice can identify herself as anything she likes. Note, the same applies to you even if the slave ship stopped in Latin America first before it then arrived in North America.. or if America is not solely synonymous with the United States… for the Americas can also be the Caribbean or Latin America. Being African American can also be inclusive of those people of African descent who today by virtual of their colonial inheritance speak Spanish today.

Nonetheless, you can choose to identify yourself with your language and your culture. However, I can also say, being lighter than you, that I am black or of African descent and therefore consider myself African America…. would that be wrong? Nope… I too am a person of African descent and have experienced a collective degree of racism simply because of my lineage. I also get angry when I tell people who speak Spanish that I am black and they emphatically say I am not because I speak Spanish… The silliness behind that point is that I speak Spanish… I am not Spanish and for that fact have a Spanish cultural framework… I have a Caribbean cultural framework that probably has more in common with the rest of the islands in the Caribbean than it does with Spain… so, why even, tell me I am Spanish… when I am not… realize… this whole identify politics thing goes both ways…

Now, what struck me was your point that Slaves in the Caribbean, South and Central America were treated differently? I am wondering where did you get such falsehood? Sure, slavery in the Americas varied… from plantation to plantation, from slave owner to owner, from town to hinterland, from urban to plantation, from sugar to tobacco, coffee, cotton, indigo, from mining to ship building… heck, it is said one can build a bridge of African and native American bones from Potosi, Bolivia to Spain from the amount of people who perished in that god forsaken mining system. I am confused by such historical inaccuracy… that using it as an argument to claim slaves were different or treated differently… should be reason to even argue one is not African American.

Another most unfortunate statement is the whole notion that people of color in the Caribbean and Latin America don't have a skin color issue… Sure, Latin Americans and Caribbean people have historically pushed this whole racial democracy argument… yet, when you enter any of those countries you find the there is plenty of economic disparities between the white and mestizo oligarchy and the rest of the less than white population. You also have the whole "a mejorando la raza" doctrine that always privileged white or lighter over darker skin…

Lastly, let us be clear here…. people of color in this country… and that is inclusive of Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and African Americans… never decided on their own to segregate themselves… that is another falsehood… Realize that before 1964… you had 70 plus years of Jim Crow or American Apartheid… open discrimination across the board… and then afterwards de facto segregation… so, when you tell people not to segregate themselves… are you saying it from a contemporary basis or taking history into account?

60. Carla M. Osorio says:

You can identify with whatever you want, but know in America in the eyes of White people, you will always be considered african american or black, no matter what mix we have. Our system is built on racism and segregation.We mixed people can identify anyway we want, but the one drop rule was never abolished..

61. These people are JUSt as white as they are black if they are biracial. And if someone is mutliracial like Toger Woods, let him be who he wants. Why do black people always feel like they need to be the Racial Police? We are the only group always forcing this down people's throats. Keanu Reeves is mixed with Asian but always plays white roles (so does Dean Cain and the kid from Saved by the Bell). Do we see the Asian community up in arms? If someone does not identify as black, leave them the f*ck alone. It doesn't affect your like one damn bit. Stories like this make me sick. We have nothing better to discuss?

62. Ron Alaheïre says:

Stephanie Morton , Wow… I m speechless, I thought we could have a dialogue as civilized people. Ok, good day to you too 🙂

63. Ron Alaheïre says:

Carla M. Osorio , Thank you Carla.

64. And this extends far past this post, most of the people on this post (except for Rashida) look part black. I see black folks trying to get even white looking people with black blood to self idenity as black even when white people see them as white! SMH!

65. Carla M. Osorio says:

I understand what Stephanie is saying. I and my family are very mixed. But i will never deny that I am Black. I desire to embrace all of the cultures that make up my heritage, but i do it with the sobering reality of the truth I will still be considered Black, a person of color, and a minority in America. That makes me proud. Like James brown says I'm Black and Brown y orgullo (proud)

66. Lola Powell says:

Rigo Andino Thank you for pointing all of those things out. I feel as if he is in a hurry to crucify black Americans yet he sounds like someone who isn't up to par on the treatment of black people involved in the trans-atlantic slave trade globally. For goodness sake the disparities in Brazil for example…where more blacks were dropped off than the US. He tries to attach these issues solely to black Americans, which is incorrect without historical knowledge to back up his claims.

67. Rochelle Walker says:

ppprrreeeach!

68. Rochelle Walker says:

Alicia Minor come on down… your speaking truth sis!

69. Lola Powell says:

Jose A. Gomez But she's still black…smh

70. Stephanie Morton says:

Ron it's nothing against you I'm just tired of this conversation…with I only typed I'm bi racial and I don't consider myself being African American…and it turned in to this ….I'm proud of who I am and I could care less what white people think about who they think I am or how the system is set up ….I know all of that don't deny it I've seen it in action….there is nothing we can do about that put pray God heal us and help us be a one nation…but right now I have came a long way of learning who I am and I love it …black and Indian it's no disrespect to you Ron I'm just over people telling others about well you proud of being mixed but what about your black side …the the most important thing…I'm PROUD TO BE MIXED THAT'S ME BEING PROUD FROM BOTH ENDS …I REMEMBER SLAVERY HISTORY AND OUR ANCESTORS I DONT EVER FORGET THE PAIN ,THE STRUGGLE,THE HORRIFIC THINGS THEY ENDURED…NEVER FORGET …BUT I WONT LET ANYONE ELSE TAKE ANYTHING ELES AWAY FROM ME SO THATS WHY IM PROUD OF WHO I AM …BUT I NEVER FORGET WHAT HAS HAPPENED WHAT IS HAPPENING AND WHAT MAY NEVER CHANGE.

71. Stephanie Morton says:

AND I WILL NEVER DENY THAT IM BLACK AND WILL WILL NEVER DENY THAT IM INDIAN…BUT AFRICAN AMERICAN REALLY ….FROM NOW ON JUST CALL ME AMERICAN AMERICAN LOL

72. Stephanie Morton says:

THAT'S A NAME THEY GAVE US

73. Stephanie Morton says:

TELL ME WHY THE CAUCASIANS AINT AMERICAN WHITE OR AMERICAN CAUCASIANS BUT EVERYONE WHAT TO ARGUE OVER A NAME THAT WAS GIVEN TO US BY THEM

74. Corigan Malloy says:

Ron Alaheïre he's still silly.

75. Corigan Malloy says:

Lola Powell ok. as if.

76. I have a couple of issues with this whole African American denial thing.
    First, stating that because you weren't born in Africa doesn't make you African American has no basis in the argument. "African" in African American references your heritage, not where you were born. When you see "white" people, they don't all claim they are American. There are Italian Americans, Jews, Irish American, etc. That is claiming your heritage.
    Second, until we are treated equally in America as whites, Caucasian, etc, how can you claim to be just American? You're subjected to different rules and are not afforded the same standards as "Americans". In their eyes as much as you don't want to be labeled, you will be BLACK to them.
    Third, if you don't want to be labelled, calling yourself an American is STILL a label. Call yourself a human. Make no recognition to your heritage or birth place. Until that happens with every and all species, you will be labelled one thing or another. Last time I checked, there was no "American" button to color in on a census or job application.

77. Jose A. Gomez says:

Lola Powell she is of African descent, Spanish (which is white European) and Taino (indigenous peoples of the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and most of the carribean. Why should she say she is black when she is so many other things? and beyond that a human being? Plus read the title black celebrities who deny being African American. That specifies you not Zoe. You like many blacks in the US pretend to be proud but, are so quick to judge and mock those who see themselves beyond skin tone. smh

78. Jose A. Gomez says:

Rigo Andino lol you made good points. I do identify with my African roots but with my indigenous Taino and Spanish roots as well. Funny how you think to knock me down a peg by mentioning you are lighter than me but, I am the one ashamed of being black? Again this is a complex of North American blacks (is that more accurate for you)? you make shades of black matter so much while simultaneously being proud to be black. Basically that is how black hispanics feel (proud of our skin tone) but we embrace it and don't hate on our lighter counter parts to show pride. If being lighter than me makes you proud fine…I will still identify with my culture and roots. Italians, Irish and other whites do not identify with their predecessors. They are American while enjoying their cultures (old countries roots). Perhaps you should learn to do the same. I doubt you eat African foods or dress in African traditional garb or for that matter have bothered to learn where in Africa your ancestry lies and learned that language…hmmmm?

79. Jose A. Gomez says:

Rigo Andino Oh and there are no historical inaccuracies. Slaves in the Carribean freed many decades before US slaves. Whites not only mingled sexually with Africans in the DR centuries ago but, also married. In the SOuth just 4 or 5 decades ago it was illegal to marry whites to blacks. Jim Crow laws were hard on AA's hence your distrust and anger towards whites and those of mixed race who claim their white or other than black heritage.

80. Somebody please post 4 me and African American or a black flag there is no such Nation. We must know which Nation we are an stand under that Flag and not a corporation banner. Until than we will be lost. ISLAM

81. Somebody please post 4 me and African American or a black flag there is no such Nation. We must know which Nation we are an stand under that Flag and not a corporation banner. Until than we will be lost. ISLAM

82. Skokie Hall says:

Yup shamar Moore is light skin so he soft…he don't count,Iran they not really saying shit wrong,they just denying they African roots not a American. My nationality is African and Spanish

83. Mark Calland says:

Jose Gomez, I don't know where you live but Latinos of color have the same dark/light skin issues, And that's a fact

84. Omg ! Thank you Mr.Jackson . Finally ! Someone speaks with Intelligence .

85. Alesia Wrencher says:

Is it ok to say Bill Cosby is an asshole? That's all, nothing else…just an asshole.

86. Farntella Graham says:

these same people will jump at the opportunity to "play" somebody Black and famous. my fear is that these mulattos will declare themselves Black even when they look nothing like my people who look like me. let them stay in their place. I do not have a problem if they do not acknowledge themselves as Black – less competition for real Black people.

87. Farntella Graham says:

Jose A. Gomez if zoe does not consider herself Black, then she should not be cast as a Black actress. I do not want to see her cast as nina simone, a cultural icon from AA music history. an african american actress would never be cast in a dominican film about a dominican cultural icon, so why should it be here in america? anybody can not be us as we cannot be everybody. hollywood might be ready to respect this as their revenue shrinks from a lack of support for their fake, inauthentic film renditions of AA culture.

88. Farntella Graham says:

the position has changed just like america itself has changed. obama did not bring the hope and change we were looking for. he brought change, but not the kind any of us want.

89. Farntella Graham says:

Jose A. Gomez unfortunately, this is the way it is in america and it will never change.

90. Farntella Graham says:

Stephanie Morton you are biracial. I get it. it is not science. stay who you are but do not expect special attention from the Black community that you do not get from the other half of your gene pool.

91. Farntella Graham says:

Nyona Matende I am proud and thankful everyday of my life for my african ancestory. I am an african american who they call crazy and who they advise you to stay away from. why? because I talk EVERYTHING BLACK. BLACK PEOPLE FIRST. In every interaction with white people, Black people have to benefit more and if we do not then we need to re-evaluate so that it does. I am not interested in protecting the feelings of white people. I have become calloused and unfeeling when it comes to them. I recognize them for who they are and what they mean to Black people.

92. Farntella Graham says:

Paul Richards why are you making excuses for white racism? we are not the only people who look different from them. they are different in the sense of their humanity, from all other peoples on this earth.

93. Marcia Cloutier says:

I never heard anyone say, "Don't throw that stone, they're light (mixed)".

94. Rigo Andino says:

Jose A. Gomez … Perhaps you are full of assumptions rather than asking me whether I bothered to ever research or look for what ancestry from Africa I am from. Let's see… I can tell you that the vast majority of slaves brought to Puerto Rico were from West Africa, primarily igbo… Second, you should try and figure out that my claiming I was lighter skin… was done in a sarcastic fashion.. nothing to be proud or ashamed of either. AS for you being ashamed of being black… hey? you said it… I emphatically said I was a person of African descent… and said I would identify myself as such… I know you can read… By the way, from one Latino to another… that complex related to blackness or being of African descent is right there in our community too… it just sometimes articulates itself in a different fashion… you know… we look at nose size, eye color, facial features and, most importantly hair texture… don't get so caught up on trying to attribute some negative pathology to African Americans… people with glass houses should never be throwing stones.

AS for your implication that African American hate their lighter counterpart… how in the hell would you know that..?? did you take a survey? or are you assuming or believing such ignorance… As for eating African foods… how in the hell would you know that?? I live in Harlem… I have eaten foods from Ghana, Senegal, etc… but, I leave it to you to make such ignorant assumptions…

There is plenty of historical inaccuracy in your statements… let me give you an example… Puerto Rico ended slavery in 1873 and Cuba ended it in 1888 way after the United States ended slavery… AS for the Dominican Republic… note, that if it were not for the Haitian who invaded it in 1822, D.R. would have maintained slavery because the Spanish did not intend on eliminating slavery there… It took the Haitian Revolution… to end slavery in the Dominican Republic… note, my friend… I know my history… you are not going to speak about Latin America and Slavery… and think no one is going to check you on it…

Yes, Europeans in the Dominican Republic had children with the enslaved. The draconian anti miscegenation that existed in the U.S. did not exist in Latin America … that prevented people from having children… but, that does not mean that those who were born were given freedom either… many children of mixed marriages… continued to be slaves… second, many African Americans here in the United States despite those horrible laws… still had sexual liaisons that gave way to children that are mixed… many African American men and women share some European lineage… same can be said of many Southern whites… many of them have African ancestry… race is a tricky thing… and biology plays a small role… Note, in Latin America… the difference is that if you have a drop of white blood… you were something other than black… whereas in the United States… who at one time had the one drop rule… anyone having one drop of African blood… was considered black…

So, before you expound some false history… please do your homework…

95. Farntella Graham says:

we have been struggling since we came to america. we do not feel american in our hearts. we do not feel that we are loved by america. our hypenated name represents our dual status as african slaves in america. as much as we have contributed to this country, we still feel like we are not 100% american. they should have let us leave. we should have left here. there are those who say, no, but what has it gotten us? this conflict has been going on since emmancipation. perhaps if we were successful in liberia, our west african brothers and sisters would not become victims.

96. Stephanie Morton says:

@Gabriella Graham are your freaking serious…..why would I want special attention from African Americans …you are crazy!!!!! To even say that shows that you have issues…worry about yourself and that's…..second of all I get the same baby …did you not read my other half is Indian…very supported over here so get your facts straight!! You don't know anything about my family to even say that and I'm good with talking to you.

97. Stephanie Morton says:

That comment was for you»»@Frantella Graham… sorry this wasn't for Gabriella Graham..keypad set up weird!! Frantella please don't comment anymore….I'm done please!!!

98. Valerie Angela Lawrence-Lacasse says:

if a child has a parent each of a different race why must they be asked to choose I think society makes too much of this these children are entitled to do what they want.

99. Valerie Angela Lawrence-Lacasse says:

Actually the child identifies with the fathers race,I sure see no reason for this debated people are entitled to be who they choose these same people who have these opinions should think if one parent is of another Race why should they deny the other who calls the shots.They have enough to deal with evn if they say they are black there are the Black who call them names and then the whites who deny them let people live it is only in America this seems to be such a topic and hell no Iam not African Caribbean when one of my parents are mixed I am a Carribean girl period., yes and very aware of the African roots ect yes I am black & proud but all these labels is just crap.

100. Valerie Angela Lawrence-Lacasse says:

Yes girl be who you are it may be difficult but do not change it seems only in America this is such a hot things and some of the same people make others feel guilty for who they are it is sad.I wish people would just love each other.

101. I suppose you must also think that Irish-American, Italian-American, and so on, are also ridiculous expressions. Or have you never heard those expressions before? You are either pretending to be naive or just plain dishonest with yourself to believe that these labels are just a way to refer to the colour of someone's skin. Really? I'm sure no self-respecting (white) Irish-American will agree with you. There is nothing wrong in claiming your heritage as someone earlier said. Nor is there anything wrong in being PROUD of your heritage either. This has nothing to do with feeling inferior or superior to anyone else. But it is in your America, that mostly, these labels are used by your own very white race as a means of classifying people for the purpose of discriminating against them. You need to wake up my friend.

102. Mark Calland says:

She can call herself whatever she wants but she didn't mind cashing checks meant for an African American actress

103. Stephanie Morton says:

104. ONCE MORE WE've BEEN HOODWIGGED, BAMBOOZED. SINCE WHEN DOES OR SHOULD A PERSON FEELS HE SHE IS BETTER OFF BEING EITHER WHITE BLACK OR OTHER. where are the people who loves to do good unto others , neighbor, strangers etc I would like to indentify with them and kiss my back-side you self loving , full of your skin color pride low lives wether you're whit or black or other and no one gives a damn where or how you labored for your money when you're about to spend it just as long as you spent it well makes you a good Customer. c'mon people , a youth amongst many was shot not only because he was probably of another race but because they give guns to a low life self loving white racist who sees himself as Superior to a blk kid. racism is evil and against GOD, wether it be white or black racism, discrimination is against GOD, wether it be you blk or white, and until you all see it so and try to do much good deeds , your pride for skin color and glee for race hope will fade. most of us are not even comfortable in our own skin until we found an opponent, we're just too contentous rather then content. you lack contentment because you hate others that seems better off than you.

105. Farntella Graham says:

you hit the nail on the head brother akintunde. this special attention the mulatto or light skinned Black person receives is disgusting. like you said, many of them are not attractive but a dark skinned person will be passed over for the lighter one despite all things considered. in my day, the mulatto was the exception and not the rule. some received special attention but most did not. when I viewed my people, most of them looked like me and I was very proud. now, what do we see? these representatives of Black people who look nothing like me and my people.

106. besides , who gives a damn about celebreties, when they don't give shills about the rest of us, poor people.

107. Farntella Graham says:

"no matter where you come from, as long as you're a Black man/woman/child, you are an african." Peter Tosh

108. they respect us, alexander thomas?

109. Stephanie Morton if you identify as indian, why are you here talking smack and confusing people with your line of reason? further, it is because I know myself that I am able to talk the way I do. there is no racial ambiquity here. no race confusion. I am Black, full, unadulturated Black, and proud of it. real proud.

110. we have to be the "racial police" because we, as Black people, have a clear identity. why is it that when it comes to biracial people, it is only Black people who have the problem? white people do not have to argue about the race of their mixed progeny. they can identify themselves as white but they don't, especially if they got skills and a little talent. look at the current crop of "black" talent out there. I have never seen so many light skinned Blacks. In my day they looked like me. now, I don;t recognize them as Black at all.

111. they don;t want to identify as white unless it benefits them. I want them to identify themselves as white, maybe it will humanize the species.

112. Farntella Graham I don't what you're referring to. What are you asking me? Did I say something about "respect"?

113. Alicia Minor let them denounce. they do not have the melenin to back up their claims to be Black.

114. Really your back lol I'm not confusing anyone …my post said I'm bi racial and clearly your just being ostentatious ….so on that note I'm not going to entertain this ignorance any longer….when people read what you just wrote they will see how you really feel…that not that I'm bi racial and that I wouldn't call myself African American…ITS BECAUSE YOU THINK YOUR BETTER THAN ME…YOUR JUST AS WORST AS A RACIST. SHAME ON YOU….UNADULTERATED BLACK….AND FULL I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU!!

115. @farntella Graham ^^^^^

116. It doesn't matter if you are mixed you still are black….that melanin is undeniable

117. Bankole Ososanwo It would , as answer to your way of thinking, apply better to say then to someone in America with an African origin for instance: Yoruba-American, or Bambara-American, or Malinke- American and I can name a thousand more, but I think it is only used to refer to someone with a dark skin as opposing to someone with a white skin. To me all people are equal and that may be naive. I take the freedom to say your origins are Ghanese or Nigerian ( by the sound of your name), so you might not like to be referred to as "from Africa", you are of course, but Africa is the biggest continent on earth, it makes no sense to say you are just African. No offense ment….

118. Shawn Mc says:

Farntella Graham if you were expecting change from over 300 million people due to a black president i kinda feel for you.

119. Shawn Mc says:

is your heritage african? which country ?
    the census forms ask for your ethnicity but most people consider themselves america.
    so you think a african born in england is a african english no their english.

i 'm sorry you feel your not treated like any other person, of course this isnt a perfect society and no place on earth will ever be or were but im sure you are able to do what you want with in reason in the US.
    what cant you do?

120. Shawn Mc says:

Ron Alaheïre the one drop rule been over ruled since the 60's, it was only practiced in america

121. Shawn Mc says:

Ron Alaheïre why are you saying there is so much racism everywhere and you haven't seen it ?
    what the hell is that about, just here to scare young folks ?lol

122. Shawn Mc says:

Carla M. Osorio yes it was in the 60's. your just holding on to old racism because you want to

123. Shawn Mc says:

Stephanie Morton i agree with you, people should just define themselves, holding on to old racist categories is ignorant
    people think just because you want to be considered american your not proud of your african ancestry, they dont understand its just a person realizing their heritage is here in the states and not in africa.

124. Shawn Mc I am probably older than you and come from a generation that saw real change in america.

125. Shawn Mc to answer your question. What I can't do is not be racially profiled in a suburban area. Walk into a store and not be followed or be able not have my means of payment be scrutinised. Judged by the merits of my work and not my name on my resume. Shall I continue? I know that my ancestry is from Africa, so I have know problem being an African American.
    My question to you is can you do the same thing as American aka whites without being judged, mistreated or profiled? If yes is your answer then please let me know where you live so I can pack my bags.

126. Stephanie Morton our character makes up who you are and not just your ancestry or heritage. It is simple we all should embrace that which we come from no matter what the mixture. But because we are in a divide and conquer world we have people of many cultures and backgrounds competing to be better than the other, called racism. I could give a hoot what a persons heritage or background is as long as they have good character and treat me with respect and I will give that to them in return. I am also a mixture of what all I do not know but I know that I have African American and Indian roots and I embrace both but know more about the African American side and identify more with it.

127. I have the same mixture as you but my Indian part goes back to mothers grandfather who was Black Foot Indian. But I embrace both but my African culture here in America is what I know most of but I have learned more about my Indian side over the years of getting together for family reunions with my elders. What matters to me the most though is not my ancestry so much but that I am a person with good character and a human being part of the human race.

128. Valerie Angela Lawrence-Lacasse That's what I said too if you read my first comment. The man carries the seed, Biblically speaking the child is what the father is.

129. Amen Mrs. Vermyil Thomas amen

130. Both Whites as well as Blacks were indentured servants initially. They inter-married and saw one another as equals. But the ruling class elites eventually decided to allow Whites to continue to buy themselves out of slavery and they voted to dissolve indentured servitude for Blacks and retained them as slaves for life. The term White people was born in the 17 or 1800's in America. Before that they self-identified only by their original European country. IMHO, there are no Black or White people. Both groups have been placed into boxes by the elites. And those groups are, generally, the haves and the have-nots. Both groups fight over the resources ( who is going to have what ) , the crumbs, which the elites allow to trickle down from their 'ivory towers'. Historically, the people in the so-called White box were and are elevated so that they have a false sense of superiority. Whites created the term 'race'. They also created racism. The folks in the Black box were and are relegated to being ( in general ) second class citizens. The power structure maintains that hierarchy and the pseudo superior group reinforces it socially, economically and immorally. As long as the elites have people in the two main groups fighting one another as well as the White group always playing the race card to maintain their status and inappropriate share of the American pie, they ( the elites ) maintain total control and manipulation of both groups. Conscious Whites know that America has been taken down economically. They too have lost jobs, houses and children ( to war ). Blacks are the canaries in the coal mine. When White America catches a cold we get pneumonia. We are divided as Black and White Americans. And it is a devious, social construct. I am 'multi-racial'. Most Black folks do not like to hear their people recognize their racial diversity. Most Blacks in America are multi-racial. As long as we relegate ourselves into their boxes, whether African-American or Black we diminish our true American heritage. Our African ancestors slaved, suffered and died for this land. They paid a blood price for it. We should OWN it as Americans and collectively seek our share of the pie/resources
    . Therefore, I rightfully identify as an American with African, German and British ancestry.

131. Shawn Mc says:

Kevin Jackson its unfortunate that you being a upstanding and law abiding citizen like most have to be judged by the negative examples of a few but recognize and blame those individuals in our community who go into establishments in large mobs and steal, rob and steal in our communities and create this profile for the nation to recognise as a criminal.
    when you have 1 in 3 african americans in prison,parole or on probation you cant expect every person to see you as an law abiding citizen.
    this wont change until we change our culture of criminality in many of the youth.

I'm sure you dont have adequate proof your resume was passed up because of your name or you would probably have a lawsuit but il take your word and say keep trying because you pretty much dont have a choice, you can either become a criminal yourself or keep trying.

there is a profile in the minds of the average citizen when ti comes to black males, you could probably see the profile on BET, once you separate yourself from that profile physically and mentally then you will experience a change.

132. Siafa Bright says:

So you will let the KKK define who you are? You are who you feel you are and associate with what makes you comfortable. Let me give an example. A white man marries a black lady and they have a biracial children. one child decides to live in Africa and the other decides to live in Europe. The offspring of two go ahead and have kids of their own. The African one marries a black woman while the European one marries a white lady. The kids from Africa are most likely going to believe they are black and identify with being African. The European kids are going to feel they are white and id with Europe. Their grandparents/great grand parents were both black and white but each has gone their own way. I see nothing wrong with this. I am African and my mother while in collage in the UK was approached by a blonde hair blue eye guy who asked her which part of Africa she came from(she was wearing an African dress). It turned out that his grand father was from Africa but his genes had been diluted over the generations. To each his own my brother. Don't let someone else define who you are and where you should fit in society.

133. Italy is a specific COUNTRY, IRELAND is a specific COUNTRY so you can call yourself Italian American, etc. What COUNTRY in Africa are you from? The term is asinine. No one uses that idiotic prefix except African Americans. Heritage? African Americans for the most part dont have heritage you have ancestry which are two different things.

134. Farntella Graham Well, the Africans disagree with you and Peter Tosh. That nigga Jamaican anyway.

135. You typed all that for nothing because she didnt say she wasnt black, she said he was NOT AFRICAN-AMERICAN!! Two different things.

136. Tobias Lanzo says:

Vermyil Thomas Awesome Mam! Thats one of the best comments i heard all day! and you deserve that right to keep your heritage and acknowledge it. Thatst how you got here! Amen! we think alike..

137. Tobias Lanzo says:

Stephanie Morton OMG your so smart Stephanie..people just dont get it! We are suppose to just take anyname given by them! Please i wish i would i dont care what people think I am. I know who I am and not afraid to speak up about it!