Miami Dolphins offensive guard Richie Incognito has not said much since he was suspended this week by the team for sending racist text messages and voice messages to teammate Jonathan Martin.
But WSVN caught up with Incognito briefly Tuesday in a parking lot in Weston. He was cordial but not loquacious. “You know what, I’m just trying to weather the storm right now,” he said. “This will pass.”
When asked about his standing with the Dolphins, Incognito said: “You know, no comment right now. We’re just gonna kinda weather the storm, and that’s it.”
ESPN reported the transcription of an April voicemail from Incognito that included racial slurs and physical threats toward Martin, who left the team last week following a lunchroom incident. Reportedly, Martin was the victim of persistent harassment from Incognito since Martin was a rookie in 2012.
Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen Martin up this past spring after Martin missed a voluntary team workout, two sources to the Sun-Sentinel. They also told the newspaper that Incognito took the request too far.
“We expect that the NFL and its clubs create a safe and professional workplace for all players and that owners, executives, coaches and players should set the best standards and examples,” the NFL Players Association said in a statement. “As the representative organization of all players, the NFLPA will insist on a fair investigation for all involved. We will continue to remain in contact with the impacted players, their representatives and player leadership.”
The NFL also is investigating, and the Dolphins are all for it, according to coach Joe Philbin.
“I will give my full and complete and total cooperation with the NFL,” Philbin said Monday. “When that takes place, the timeline on that I don’t have the specifics of. I will tell you I will be in full and complete cooperation with them. I will answer everything honestly to the best of my knowledge.”