Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens said Tuesday via Twitter that Rajon Rondo will not be ready to play at the start of the season.
“It’s very indeterminate now,” Stevens said. “I think it’s unlikely that he’ll be ready for the start of the season.”
Last week, reports surfaced that the point guard would miss the whole preseason and part of the regular season, as he works hard to recover from a torn ACL injury suffered last NBA season.
Rondo’s absence is a significant loss for the Celtics. The team has already lost Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry to a trade to the Brooklyn Nets. President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge, mentioned in a recent interview, that even without Rondo, KG, and Pierce the Celtics will still give it their best shot to pursue the championship and won’t use this season to rebuild.
Without Rondo, Avery Bradley will likely start in the point guard position. He, too, has a few injuries that he’s been dealing with recently.
More details on Rondo’s return to come.