Sony Pictures/Screen Gems’ The Vow was expected to be the certain frontrunner because of strong tracking. However, some Hollywood execs miscalculated. It’s even bigger than projected.
The PG-13 romantic drama starring Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams drew in $700K in midnight shows and achieved a ‘B’ grade from CinemaScore audiences. The film came in strong Friday evening – aka Date Night — to win #1.
Universal’s Safe House also over-achieved for an adult-targeted R-rated action film and pocketed a grade ‘A’ from CinemaScore audiences. It’s yet another banger for reliable Denzel Washington bringing in $542K so far, and placing #2. Both films are looking at huge $38M-$39M weekends and a battle through Monday.
Be sure to check back tomorrow for the final results.
Here’s the Top Ten:
1. The Vow (Screen Gems/Sony) NEW [2,958 Theaters]
Friday $15.3M, Saturday $16.4M, Weekend $41M
2. Safe House (Universal) NEW [3,119 Theaters]
Friday $13.8M, Saturday $16.5M, Weekend $39M
3. Journey 2: Mysterious Island 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [3,470 Theaters]
Friday $6.5M, Saturday $12.4M, Weekend $27M
4. Star Wars 3D: Phantom Menace (LucasFilm/Fox) NEW [2,655 Theaters]
Friday $8.6M, Saturday$8.7M, Weekend $23M
5. Chronicle (Fox) Week 2 [2,908 Theater]
Friday $3.5M, Saturday $5.5M, Weekend $12M (-46%), Cume $39.8M
6. The Woman In Black (CBS Films) Week 2 [2,856 Theaters]
Friday $3.3M, Saturday $4.7M, Weekend $10.4M (-50%), Cume $35.6M
7. The Grey (Open Road) Week 3 [2,801 Theaters]
Friday $1.3M, Saturday $2.3M, Weekend $5M, Cume $42.7M
8. Big Miracle (Working Title/Universal) Week 2 [2,133 Theaters]
Friday $920K, Saturday $1.7M, Weekend $3.7M, Cume $13M
9. The Descendants (Fox Searchlight) Week 13 [1,581 Theaters]
Friday $872K, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $3.4M, Cume $70.6M
10. Underworld Awakening (Sony) Week 4 [1,657 Theaters]
Friday $666K, Saturday $1.1M, Weekend $2.5M, Cume $58.9M