After being dissappointed at the results of ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’, a sequel that suffered for being rushed and being in production just after the writer’s strike, Michael Bay was determined to change direction and work on other projects. However, with a little push from executive producer Steven Spielburg, Bay was persuaded to to work on ‘Transformers 3’, which ultimately ended up ruling at the box office this past summer.
Maybe the success of the third installment of ‘Transformers’ was all that Bay needed to renege on his promise to leave the franchise. Last week, at Universal Studios Singapore on Friday where “Transformers: The Ride” is opening, Michael Bay said the following:
“We’re talking about it, but there’s nothing right now… I’m going to do a tiny movie first, then we’ll talk about it, if I potentially do it.”
Bay may have not sounded fully committed to returning, but it could probably be said with good confidence that Paramount and Hasbro would do anything in their power to have him in the director’s chair. Both companies should know that they would be hardpressed to find another director who can deliver on the insane and unbelievable action sequences. Spielberg appears to agree according to his comment in an interview in the current issue of Entertainment Weekly:
“I hope so, because I think he made the best of the three with this last one. I certainly can’t imagine anybody other than Michael being equipped to make another Transformers. He’s invented a genre and he’s got the secret formula.”
In addition to the return of Michael Bay, fans would likely appreciate to have the whole Transformers cast intact, but as for stars Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, John Turturro and Tyrese Gibson, there has been no confirmation on any of their returns.