Translate »
ArabicChinese (Traditional)EnglishFrenchHaitianPortugueseSpanishSwahili
ArabicChinese (Traditional)EnglishFrenchHaitianPortugueseSpanishSwahili
Sunday, September 14th, 2014

Joseline, K. Michelle, Mimi At The Center of 'Love & Hip Hop' Boycott

Love & Hip Hop Atlanta may not enjoy more than one season if petitioners have their way. After premiering its first episode this past Monday to over 3 million viewers, Erin Harper of Atlanta, GA has launched a boycott on change.org!!

It’s not surprising given the content of the first episode that saw Joseline Hernandez battle Mimi Faust over cheating allegations with her longtime boyfriend music producer Stevie J, K. Michelle exposing an abusive past with ex boyfriend Memphitz and Erica Dixon fighting to keep her off and on boyfriend Scrappy faithful. It’s more of a soap opera and less about women in hip hop hoping for a big break.

Here’s how Erin Harper,

“After we made a ruckus about Basketball Wives, sponsors began to pull ads. Well, it’s that time again, folks!

While we should respect the perceptions and experiences of the men and women featured on “reality” television shows, networks are airing stories that could be very helpful for people to hear, but they’re telling these stories in EXTREMELY dangerous ways.

We all know premium digital crack rock is ‘slanged’ in digital hoods other than VH1. We also know the problem is not just TV–it’s a big, mean, social monster that we’ve gotta shoot down one non-violent bullet at a time. Nevertheless, somebody’s gotta be the face of this lovely movement. And since VH1 has chosen to give us yet another beautifully-blinged jewel of commercial exploitation (Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta), they might as well be the face of change. By the way, shout out to all African Americans who received Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta as their Juneteenth gift! You won and lost at the same time!

As we work toward national- and local-level change, let’s tell VH1 and their sponsors (again) why people from a broad range of backgrounds will NOT stand for the exploitation of the lived experiences of people who may not even know they’re being exploited. This isn’t a “Black or White” thing, this is a HUMAN thing…and we should all understand.

P.S. That “turn of the TV/your kids’ TV if you don’t want to watch” argument doesn’t work here, VH1. A good number of the kids who are most at risk don’t have the luxury of living with parents who can just “turn off the TV”. Why? Because their parents are out working multiple jobs (thanks to this lovely thing called poverty); one or both parents are on drugs, dead, or in jail; or they’re raised by ill grandparents, relatives who aren’t that interested in their future, or foster parents who abuse them and only foster to collect a check.”

Are you joining the Love & Hip Hop boycott?

Comments

1. I’m tired of this trash getting put on tv.

2. axe it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I’ve been a viewer of BBWs and L&HH since the reality shows first aired, to me these shows are just like anything else I see on television or at the movies, so I don’t understand where all the negativity is coming from. As an African American women I’m tired of the negative labels that are attached to us for doing the same thing that everybody else doing as well. Whose petitioning Jersyliciious, Mob Wives, Road Rules, The Bachelor and Soap Opera’s. Entertainment whether real or fictitious involves all kinds of misconduct so where do you draw the line. I truly believe that Africans Americans are so worried about how others are thinking about us were afraid to accept that that’s part of us and other cultures are so quick to judge us and point the finger. The truth of the matter is that you can find cheaters, fighters and shadiness everywhere. There are some serious issues going on in the world and Reality shows is not one them, the celebrity lifestyle is held up to high by the public and this is the problem.

4. noneofurbiz says:

tbh these reality shows be it black or white have nothing to offer really becoz if u look at it, pretty much young girls are watching these shows and looking up to these pple dare i use the term loosely as “role models”, if anything you are telling kids that it is ok don’t get an education for young girls find the first available well connected man who u can make a name off of and then get onto a reality show at the end of the day… these reality shows to mention a few, kardashians, basketball wives all of them,teen moms etc to mention the ones i can think of off the top of my head really aren’t showing us ne thing educational,not sure what these shows are trying to depict…. really cancel all these shows they aren’t doin ne good becoz where there is supposed to be a difference, again a term i use loosely between adults and children u really can’t tell the difference…… pls it is time to start showing us meaningful programs these reality shows are nothing but absolute rubbish, misleading and giving children a wrong impression about what life really is all about….

5. Sharone Wellington-deAnda says:

Its is very sad when the images VH1 presents make you cringe in the mirror. Whether it is staged or not, it is still a train wreck and like motorist, we should move on.

6. I support the movement, get garbage like this off tv…black people already have enough stereotypes and prejudice to deal with as is…this is unhealthy, tacky/trashy and just sends the wrong message to young people who are naive and desperate for fame.

7. Nina Sky says:

This show is trash. It makes African American’s (namely the women) look like trash bags. It portrays us in such a negative light. It makes us appear weak, sneaky, uneducated, conniving and worthless. The show seems scripted. Although there are some truths in this show. It is doing nothing for the Black community. People are laughing at us. The content is inappropriate and embarrassing. We are better than that and can do better than that. Get rid of this ratchetness!

8. Jay Cameron says:

Aint nobody got time for that

9. SHANDRA says:

YES I’M JOINING THE BOYCOTT. I DON’T UNDERSTAND THE FASCINATION WITH LOW BUDGET WOMEN THAT NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO SEE THEIR DAUGHTERS BECOME! WHY DO WE CHOOSE TO MAKE THESE TRAMPS STARS. WHAT HAPPENED TO REAL STARS WITH REAL FABULOSITY??!! TALK ABOUT MAKING HOES INTO HOUSEWIVES…SMH

10. Yolanda Lipsey says:

Cancel this show PLEASE!!!

11. Boycott

12. I just dont understand. The shows there coming out with make us as Black people look so bad. Alot of use work hard on getting educated only to be over looked. This is just said.

13. I have a 16yr old daughter that I have to constantly remind that thats not how educated black women with self respect carry themselves. That show is horrible for our youth.

14. Take it off

15. JERRI MALONE says:

THE BEHAVIOR ON THIS SHOW DOES NOT DESPICT THE VIEW THAT I WANT TO SEE AS A AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN ..JOSELINE AND STEVEJ BEHAVIOR TOWARDS MIMI IS NOTROTIOUS……….THIS LIFESTYLE SHOULD NOT BE SHOWN ON T.V.

16. Anisha Mann says:

Please take this show off the air. It’s sickening.

17. I Actually Like The Show And A Lot Of Those People Are Just Mad Its Not Them And I Think If They Had The Chance To Do It They Would In My Opinion Let Them Put Themselves On TV If They Want If You Don’t Like The Show Don’t Watch It Point Blank It’s Entertainment Damn

18. ladyvirgo says:

Well, I fully agree with you, BUT at the same time do not just aim petitions at the African American shows. No, I am not trying to make this a black and white thing, but if you want shows like this off air try boycotting for all of vh1 shows to be off air. ALL of the shows on their network show some type of behavior you are boycotting these shows about. So, since you want shows like that off air, try getting ALL the shows off and on other networks as well. All because the reality shows isn’t what you want or think it should be do not those things don’t happen in real life. They are just brave enough to put it on tv for the world to see. Now start a petition for all of these reality shows. Thanks :)

19. lisa lee says:

HELL NO! IT IS WHAT IT IS!

20. My daughter can sit and watch these shows all day but my daughter knows the difference in her hard working mother and the women on these shows. I have explained that education is key, and is a must. She knows how a God fearing man is supposed to treat a woman and how a strong educated woman should conduct herself. She will not lower her standards to those on Jersey Shore, BBW, Housewives of ____, If your child is taught to be trash, she will be trash. If she is taught to be a classy and educated Christian woman that is what she will be.
    I do not know what goes on behind any of these reality stars homes and who am I to judge. Not saying, I have not shared laughs with friends on most of them but in the end they we are all trying to live. How you do it us your business. Until my 11yr old is 18, I will try my best to instill the best qualities in her I can.

21. Gaynelle says:

First off I understand the boycott situation but at the same time what about all the WHITE reality shows that’s not being boycott for the same shit! This world wants to see entertainment that’s all it is! Hell if your gonna preach aboout saving us from exploitation, send boycotts to the justice sytem, job systems, and goverment formalities! Boycott against something that actually benefits us on a daily basis not a hour reality t.v. show that will showcase entertainment and run out of our minds in less than 15 minutes! Get right lady you have a good one!

22. daisy johnson says:

Exploitation – axe it out!!