Nolan Wells should have been celebrating his 19th birthday today.
Instead, his family can only look back on memories while grappling with a growing list of unanswered questions about how the teen died.
Wells disappeared on July 4 while celebrating with friends on Horn Island in Mississippi. Two days later, authorities found his body.

More than six weeks later, Wells’ unexplained death remains under investigation, with authorities yet to indicate publicly whether a crime occurred.
Remembering ‘Nono’
Wells’ family pinned a moving letter remembering their “favorite sonshine” on his birthday, saying how thankful they are for him.
“As we sit here and reflect on what an amazing kiddo you grew up to be, we can’t help but to feel blessed, honored, proud, but most of all thankful. Thankful we were able to experience a glimpse of God’s love in human form,” they wrote.
The family also reflected on lessons they have learned from his life and loss.
“You have taught us so much about life and how every day is a blessing, and how we have to do better at just living in the moment. Thank you for being the best son, brother, grandson, nephew, and friend anyone could ever ask for….You are truly our angel.”
The family will hold a prayer rally on Wednesday evening at Greater St. John AME in Biloxi to honor Wells. Dr. Jamal Bryant is joining the family to deliver a keynote.
“There are a lot of unanswered questions and even more loopholes. The governor hasn’t been helpful, and the judge seems compromised, so we are looking to GOD for divine intervention,” Bryant said in a social media post.
Limited Updates
There have been few substantive updates from authorities in the six weeks since Wells’ death. The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office has referred questions about the case to the district attorney, who has largely remained tight-lipped.
“I would be stepping outside the bounds of the law if I were to fill that void and share information publicly. With all of the public ‘pressure’ being placed on my office, filling the void would only serve to get ‘pressure’ off of me. Nolan deserves better,” District Attorney Angel Myers McIlrath said in a statement released Tuesday.
McIlrath maintains that authorities are reviewing all available evidence for presentation to a grand jury, which will determine whether a crime may have occurred.
“I stand firmly on the rule of law and my ethical obligations. That is what the people of Jackson County elected me to do. I will present the Grand Jury with a thorough, complete, and fair investigation into the death of Nolan Wells,” McIlrath said.
Phone Examination
The district attorney’s statement did not indicate when Wells’ phone, which was recovered after making it back to shore, would be examined.
Several letters have passed between the district attorney’s office and the Wells family’s legal team over a joint examination of his cellphone. The two sides agreed to the examination on July 15, but more than a month later, it still has not taken place.
Last week, the DA’s office sent a letter demanding the phone. Wells’ parents were out of town at the time, prompting their legal team to request that the examination take place before Aug. 21.
Atlanta Black Star has reached out to determine whether the examination has been scheduled but has not received a response.
Autopsy Leads to More Questions
Two autopsies have been conducted. An independent autopsy commissioned by Wells’ family was inconclusive, while the state has yet to release its autopsy report. The results of the state’s toxicology testing, which is standard in death investigations, have also not been made public.
In a letter to the DA, the family’s legal team asked for more resources for forensic pathologist Dr. Roger Mitchell, who conducted the independent autopsy.
“We also hope to promptly move forward with Dr. Roger Mitchell’s examination of Nolan’s body parts that were not previously made available to him,” the legal team said.
Dr. Mitchell’s report noted that the absence of critical neck structures limited his ability to complete the examination.
Calls for Justice
The calls for federal investigators to step in have grown louder since Wells’ death.
The Congressional Black Caucus has called for U.S. Attorney General Todd Blanche and FBI Director Kash Patel to investigate. The CBC issued the letter on August 12 and gave the FBI seven days to respond. It’s unclear if they have.
The NAACP Office of General Counsel joined the family’s legal team on Monday.
“Drawing on the Association’s long history of pushing for full and fair investigations when Black lives are lost under suspicious circumstances, we will bring additional investigative and legal resources to bear and ensure that no stone is left unturned in the quest for truth and accountability for Nolan’s family,” said Kristen Clarke, General Counsel of the NAACP.
Wells’ case has garnered national attention, with supporters vowing to keep his name alive and continue demanding answers and justice.
“Happy birthday Nolan. We won’t soon forget. May God cover your family and expose the truth,” one Threads user wrote.
“Nolan Xavier Wells should be celebrating his golden birthday today with all the people who loved him so very much. I will never stop saying his name and demanding the justice that they deserve,” another said.
“Today Nolan Wells should be celebrating his 19th birthday. Hold his family close today and hold the people who know what happened to him accountable,” another commenter wrote.