Trending Topics

Will Smith Reportedly Back In Talks for Netflix Biopic, Will the Details of What Led Up to the Oscar Slap be Included? 

After four months of criticism and ridicule, Will Smith is reportedly back in talks with Netflix for a biopic. The veteran actor shocked the world when he walked onstage at the 2022 Academy Awards and slapped Chris Rock in the face for making a joke about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith. In light of his actions, Smith was also banned from attending any virtual or in-person Oscar Awards for 10 years.

The incident also impacted his professional career, which led to different movies and projects being canceled or delayed by various other platforms. Netflix also reportedly shelved the sequel to the 2017 film “Bright,” according to various reports.

WASHINGTON, DC – JULY 17: Actor Will Smith listens to testimony at the “The Next Ten Years In The Fight Against Human Trafficking: Attacking The Problem With The Right Tools” Committee Hearing at the Hart Senate Office Building on July 17, 2012 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Paul Morigi/WireImage)

However, sources close to The Sun say Smith is back in talks with Netflix about a forthcoming biopic.

“Will was left out in the cold by Netflix and Apple+ in the wake of the slap,” as told to the outlet. “He has since apologised and stepped out of the spotlight for a lengthy period. With this in mind it is broadly agreed enough time has passed to let the dust settle.”

The source confirmed that “It has been made clear discussions can be started again about a biopic which Netflix were interested in.”

After the incident, Smith accepted the Best Actor Oscar for his role as Richard Williams in the film “King Richard.” Smith has apologized since striking the comedian, including most recently earlier this month. The aftermath of the slap, which was televised nationally, will also reportedly be featured in the biopic.

According to the source, “Netflix wants to be part of those conversations and Will’s team have no doubt Apple will follow suit.”

After the Oscars incident, Smith stepped out of the spotlight and away from social media. He returned on Friday, July 29, to apologize again for his actions and the controversy it caused in the entertainment industry. During a nearly six-minute video, the 53-year-old said “I’ve reached out to Chris, and the message that came back is that he’s not ready to talk, and when he is, he will reach out.”

The “Focus” star admitted his “behavior was unacceptable” and that he’s ready to talk when Rock is ready. He also offered his sincerest apologies to Rock’s mother, Rose, who discussed the moment during an interview, and his younger brother, comedian Tony Rock.

“I want to apologize to Chris’s mother,” Smith said. “I want to apologize to Chris’ family, specifically Tony Rock. We had a great relationship. Tony Rock was my man. This is probably irreparable.”

In regards to claims Smith was ordered to assault Rock by his wife or that she had anything to do with that night, he said, “I made a choice on my own from my own experiences, from my history with Chris.”

The father of three added, “Jada had nothing to do with it. I’m sorry, babe. I want to say sorry to my kids and my family for the heat that I brought on all of us.”

Smith closed the video by reiterating his previous apologies, adding, “If you hang on, I promise we’ll be able to be friends again.”

What people are saying

Leave a Reply

Back to top