27 thoughts on “After Watching This, You Will Have a New Perspective on the History of Black Hair

1. Roze Gold says:

Love how it travels through time to arrive at its destination right on time. Black women need to know WITH CERTAINTY that we are beautiful. We are innovative. We are CHOSEN by The Most High and necessary. Beautiful video. ❤️

2. Aletha Spann says:

Great video. Please take it to schools so our young girls can feel pride.

3. Europeans ( the French) did not invent the hot comb. It's origins are Egyptian.

4. The only thing I wish she mentioned is the fact that lye as a relaxer was initially discovered when slavemasters tortured slaves by plunging their heads into buckets of lye. If their hair and scalp didn't burn off, the hair would be straighter. This story (along with terrible damage and scalp burns) was a primary reason I stopped relaxing about 15 years ago. I LOVE to see African people with natural hair – it's beautiful!

5. Sandra Hurd says:

Very educational video. I wish you could have made the video longer, the history of our people is becoming less and less known by younger generations. Since so many of us are very much interested in our hair, both men and women, believe me, we would watch it in its entirety. Thank you for making this video and I look forward to watching part 2.

6. I really enjoyed this video. I wish all Black women could see this. Very empowering.

7. I don't wear wigs, or get false hair weave in my hair, it's all natural, no matter how I fix it,60 an young an hair looking good

8. I remember when I seen the picture of this woman running on the beach in the 70's wearing braids sn sea shells in her hair it was Boderick

9. Only in the Roman days woman braided their hair after black Egyptians

10. It's where the white got it from

11. Aatif Shakur says:

Cool but when will we acknowledge that this is prophecy and that The Lord had much to do with it? However, the end justifies the means…

16Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

17Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.

18In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, 19The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, 20The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, 21The rings, and nose jewels, 22The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, 23The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

24And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

25Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war.

26And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground.

12. This was very informative. Thanks for taking to time to make and share. Also thanks for showcasing one of my loc styles L NuNuu Sekou. Continued blessings and success.

13. Alice Thomas says:

great video.I enjoyed it…

14. David Knox says:

This is a beautiful video, because not only is it informative and enlightening, but it's a testament and an expression of the resolve and staying power of a great people.

15. Correction: Europeans didn't start "kidnapping" Africans; African potentates started kidnapping other Africans – their enemies in the interior – to trade with Europeans on the coast.

16. Thine Hair says:

Thank you Chime. This is awesome. Sharing on our page…

17. Susan Reilly says:

This was a thoroughly enlightening film! Enjoyed it very much!

18. That's cooked up imperial history…that chains you as well…Read and Travel, why would Africans sell each other? For what? Gold? Diamond? Paper Money? What didn't or do Africans not have other than Fiat Currency and reason to enslave each other? And if the nortion that we sold other Africans, why sell them and we could use them for ourselves? and again why? For what? and What wer Europeans doing on African coast's looking for slaves and why? Even after slavery why come back for colonisation under the guise of spreading civilization? Why would anyone go to soo much extent to take from someone if they think they are poor and uncivilized?

19. I agree. A full version with all your thoughts and images would be wonderful. Important and powerful. thank you.