33 thoughts on “When the Reporter Asked Him This Question About Reparations This Amazing Answer Is Not What She Was Expecting

1. He always speak the truth, Mr Coates is a national treasure.

2. Norman Mixon says:

Reparation could never be paid back to people who are considered as property. A political statement has to be made and presented to represent real flesh in blood people, not representing property that is claimed to be owned by a CORPORATION (UNITED STATES INCORPORATION ).

3. Its simple actually, they need to cut up some of the millions of acres of this country and hand it over to be governed by AA's. The same way its handled with the natives who wernt actually here first anyway.

4. He never answered the question. He just ranted about atrocities of the pass to get an emtional response to support his position.

5. Rossi Love says:

Give it the same way you give it to the indians! simple

6. Exactly, you must be a nation to get reparations….What's your Nationality????

7. Vide OSpuger says:

Don't want to be a party pooper, but there's blood on hands of people of all colors… And not just 1 government, but like almost the entire planet… It's going to take a while before anyone in his right state of mind will be able to answer that question. So don't go to hard on this brother, unless you have the solution!

8. I just gave you a solution.

9. Vide OSpuger says:

NotJamel King doubt that will ever happen… Also do I doubt if you can really call that a solid solution. I think it would be a smart move to investigate how reparations are and were made for the jewish… Apart from that, cooperates rule the world, and this is a global issue not just a US issue. Cutting up the world is just not a option. Unless you want to own a piece of desert for instance… I think black people will stand a better chance uniting and form their own global financially strong economy, and then decide the strategy on how to deal with the reparations matter. If we by then really need it still… The way I see it, is we letting every black man's enemy decide…

10. Vide OSpuger says:

11. I was just thinking the same thing. Extremely valid point, but no answer.

12. Vide OSpuger I feel that peace.

13. Christianity has crippled the minds of most Blacks in America and the Caribbean making them comfortable with their position as colonial slaves.Rememberhttps://thegrio.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/first-family-1.jpg

14. Patrick he gave you an answer, what he said was to support the Conyers bill so we can begun to sketch out what reparations might look like. We need to calculate the cost of Slavery to blacks, the cost of Jim Crow and the cost of Red Lining to first get a sense of the total. Once we have that number then it can be determined how to repay. very clear…go back and listen, the gentleman is very clear in his response. I suspect people listening that don't agree just tune out especially when he talks about the stealing of black lives, labor, children. the stealing of money paid into an economic system that does not give them their just return on their participation. it is all true and is written in history, although this history has never been widely discussed.

15. Brother Coates sounds majestically impotent. He's done the preliminary research that should be the preamble to telling the power structure, who have robbed and plundered people's lives for 300 years and stolen their birthrights as free human beings, what it is worth. But the black brother apparently knows better than to do that, and probably doesn't want to be declared persona non-grata. The number is so astronomical the black man breaks down, the tape probably interrupted so we couldn't see his lips trembling, afraid to utter a number. We don't have a modern day Toussaint, Dessaline, Cudjoe or Tubman. Oh, we've got blacks who'll get behind the wheel, step on the gas, rev the engine, but are afraid to put the engine in gear. Just like brother Coates, after revving the engine and giving us a cheap thrill they climb out, and the economic vehicle is still sitting in the same place as before and hasn't moved. Say $10 Trillion, black man. Say something, and stop looking cowardly, Coates.

16. Actually, he DID answer the question… not in the literal sense (in fact, one could not begin to answer such a question in simple terms. But that's exactly what he was suggesting), but in the rhetorical sense. In order to answer this question, monetarily, one would have to revisit the ills that were perpetrated upon the African American society. To simply pass off an arbitrary amount, and certainly to do it in the short time alloted for that interview, would be short-sighted, even disrespectful. To do so with any seriousness, need I suggest honor, would require (to use his phrase) "… another 16,000 words." I applaud his thoughtful answer.

17. Our own Israel with Economic and Military help for about 100 yrs. Its the most logical least conflict solution. Do you really think if US gave us land within the Americas that they would allow us to make allies with Valenzuela, Russia, and North Korea if need be? Our nation will have more independence when it full happens. Not all African Americans need to move to Africa but at least 5-8% of the ones that do need the remaining 92% support…..

*Lesson of the day do you know US has a million more Jews than Israel but America Jews use Israel as economic base. So Israeli products are sold to the American public within our free market.*.

I know some idiot is going to bring up Liberia but be honest they weren't as skilled as we are today and the location of Liberia led to tribal conflicts that could have been avoid if they just pick the land in Central Southern Africa where no civilization along MOST of the coast (Angola/Namibia).

We don't even need that much land for example SINGAPORE it previously was a colony opium/fishermen island to this in 50 years.

The only way to make its happen if African Americans see themselves are a nation first. That means having our own flag, own ideas but you need more than half the African American population to support the movement. So would you rather continue being the "Last Hired first Fired", depend on affirmative action, lack of economic power, and keep fearing the police?

18. Don't blame Christianity… ppl who claimed to be Christians did this… not true Christians. True Christians follow Jesus!

19. To quote Matt Chandler (a white Pastor from dallas, tx), "Who still believes that Jesus was white!?!… finding a white man in ancient israel would be like spotting a leprechaun riding a unicorn… it just aint happening"! and even still was not an image that Christian created… the devil is crafty, my friend… dont fall for the smoke and mirrors.

20. The reality is, america has found a ways to reparate, or assist in the reparation of, every other group. But when it comes to African Americans, it's somehow too difficult to figure out hmmmmmm……I wonder why.

21. CHRISTIANITY DESTROYED US.

22. I was stumbling around Face Book and ran across this article. Wow, why don't y'all stand around and debate reparations for all your mistreatment, and the Mexicans can wait for reparations for land taken from them along the USA/Mexico boarder, and American Indians in Oklahoma, Florida, and the mid-states? I'm still waiting on my check from the potato famine brought on by the English that caused my great grand parents to move to America (Of maybe that was a blessing after all). I'm still wanting a check for the mistreatment by my high school girlfriend's mother who didn't like me because my dad was lowly law enforcement office (no wealthy) and my GF's father was a well off lawyer living on the rich side of town. I should get a check for that one. All this is ridiculous. Standing around even discussing that something that got you here to the great country in the world with all the opportunities for anyone. You weren't slaves. God bless your descendants and their difficulties, but get to work and thank God you are alive and will opportunities. In Nigeria, you'd be lunch.

23. With these prisons slave states of existence have never ended. We need an inclusive economic engine that includes black people where real remedies to wrongs can be factored in. Such a system will free the American public, including a lot of black Americans, from their gremlin pain master world view. This corrupt system of corporate profits from ill gains is turning on itself, where more and more Americans will throw everyone under the bus just to work to support what is.

24. Not all of us , but some of our people just cant believe that white jesus , and christianity is something that was made up to destroy them , and all the info is out here now , to help them know themselves. and save themselves , but they really need to be de= programmed , cause they will smack you if you show them proof that their living a lie!

25. yeah , its people like you who make it easy for the whole racist system to work. You say get over it , but the racism is very institutionalized , and white people are benefitting from the labor of our ancestors , as well as their children , and grand children, I bet you they wont give our shit back , we had land stole lives stole , children stole money stole we built this country , our ancestors , but white people say I didn't own slaves , then why are you benefiting off of land and goods homes you name it that your ancestors stole.

26. Rick Smith says:

Typical White Entitled Attitude… Dude… Stop.. Please just stop…

27. Jefferson, debating someone like you on this issue would be a complete waste of time. Your rant is filled with too many horrible analogies, and bad comparisons. It would be like trying to explain the spherical nature of the earth to someone who still thinks it is flat.

28. Sharon Barnes You are right. I have been telling my friends that and they are so conditioned that it may be too late. They ask me what difference does a black jesus makes and I tell them that it will show you how they told something so precious and again they replaced it with their own image. People still don't think that 9/11 was an inside job and they tell me that I am militant. I told them that I am a truth seeker and that is basically it.

29. Yusuf Ali says:

His answer was very much on point and pretty much prevented her from asking the next obvious question, which is how much does he think or believe the dollar amount for reparation should be. Instead he decided to outline and reminded her of the very oppressive and in humane conditions Blacks were subjected to and are still being subjected to throughout the Americas, Caribbean, Africa and the Western Hemisphere. The oppressor never remembers and the oppressed never seems to forget.

30. Christianity is White Supremacy by another name. This is why black people are so confused about Racism-White Supremacy, what it is and how it works. We actually think that being Christian means the same thing to them as it does to us. Yet, they came to the shores of Africa "as Christians" raping, pillaging and putting us in chattel enslavement. We worship white Jesus while you'll NEVER catch a non-white Jesus anywhere near a white Christian. And we're none the wiser come Sunday morning. The most segregated day of the week. Stop the stupidity ya'll. The ignorance is eating at me!

31. Ajax Lasko says:

I doubt Amy Goodman was surprised by his answer.

32. How do you know it's not what she was expecting? Do you know Amy Goodman? Apparently, you dont.