aa-James-Bond-logoForget all this talk about Idris Elba as James Bond—Rush Limbaugh wants Bond to stay white.

You know, just in case you were wondering.

Elba as Bond had been aimless speculation for years—until things got a lot more serious in the last week or so when the Sony hacking scandal revealed emails from Sony Picture co-chair Amy Pascal seeming to endorse the dashing Black British actor as the next star of the franchise, which is owned by Sony.

During a rant on his talk show, Limbaugh let fly with his opinion that James Bond should stay white.

“James Bond is a total concept put together by Ian Fleming,” Limbaugh said. “He was white and Scottish. Period. That is who James Bond is, was. But now Sony is suggesting that the next James Bond should be Idris Elba, a black Briton, rather than a white from Scotland. But that’s not who James Bond is and I know it’s racist to probably even point this out.”

Limbaugh’s point about Bond needing to reflect Fleming is a bit ridiculous, as many of the former Bond’s including Roger Moore, George Lazenby, David Niven, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig were not Scottish. But all played Bond to little complaint.

It also might be helpful if someone told Limbaugh that Bond is a fictitious character, not a real person.

Despite Limbaugh’s opposition, Elba has already stated that if he is offered the role, he will gladly take it.

In an Ask Me Anything session on reddit, the actor said of the role, “Yes, if it was offered to me, absolutely.”

He recently opened up to NPR, about all the rumors of him playing Bond—and both the praise and backlash he has gotten for being a prospect for the role.

“I just don’t want to be called the first black James Bond,” Elba said. “Do you understand what I’m saying? Sean Connery wasn’t the Scottish James Bond and Daniel Craig wasn’t the blue-eyed James Bond. So if I played him, I don’t want to be called the black James Bond.”

When she endorsed Elba, Pascal was succinct and unequivocal in her email. “Idris should be the next Bond,” she wrote.

25 thoughts on “Radio Talk Show Host Rush Limbaugh Doesn’t Want Idris Elba or Any Black Person to Play James Bond

1. LD Moore says:

This is a first class fool, why are you listening or giving him any play time. Let him get a life….

2. I wonder how this fool feels about Hollywood projecting the Early Egyptians as white. We know that ain't true. Colonizers are just that. Kill, steal, rape, maim, and cause diseases. Devils just like their fathers!

3. Dom Jú says:

We have to invent our own James Bond, we got to stop to run after facts that have their own existent, we got create…

4. That's the point! There's no need for blacks to play white characters more than whites to play white characters, blacks need heroic role models on their own and not this.

5. Fans of james bond were REALLY pissed when they casted a BLONDE guy, the backlash was pretty big back then. Alba is a great actor but i would love him as a villian or in a diferent movie. The reason behind this is that James bond needs to go to russia (so racist black people is usually attacked in the streets, no black population), hong kong (where black people is not allowed in some hotels and casinos), china where people in the streets will try to touch your hair. In saudi arabia blacks are still seen as slaves, since slavery still exist there. Most of the enemies of england are extremely racist, some of them even have a low tolerance for whites. True be told the best cast would be someone from the middle east, not a white guy. At least all the new movies are set in america, europe, some parts of south america and africa, a black james bond is a bad idea. Hell! a white bond can't even enter north korea, he was caught right away.

6. Dom Jú says:

We got to stop chasing what the others create, we have to rescue again that wonderful minds that we had a long time ago, we invent half what we have in this world and that cause it faults money…

7. Freedom Cobra Couragewolf james bond was thought up in jamaica . ian fleming spent a lot of time in jamaica .

8. Winston Samuels
    Yes, in fact at some moment he even wanted to do a story about a black/mixed secret agent, the idea evolved into james bond, Ian would had love creating a character for alba, or any black character, but james evolved as a white character and is a white character. Bond is white, a dark skinned, dark haired, white guy from scotland that can fit in southern europe, russia, latin america, america, north europe, east asia, the middle was, and most of asia. I would love alba as a character in a new james bond movie, as 008 or anything like that. It's a great actor, but histories, legacy and character are more important than false diversity. Now if every movie is set in africa, england, america, or brazil (and i actually think it can work), then i would be ok with that, i believe black characters deserve to be original and not race swaped white characters.

9. Vanessa Valentine says:

Don't want U to be on the air but we can't have Everything we want. #shutup

10. I wonder if Rushy was upset with the actors chosen for the Exodus movie? The historical figures of that movie most certainly were not European; but Europeans were cast for those roles. I don't recall hearing from Rush then. O' the hypocrisy that is Mr. Limpbaugh, and the society in which we live.

11. Bond wasn't really Scottish. Fleming wrote him as an Englishman, but changed his ANCESTRY, not his NATIONALITY, to Scottish (with a Swiss mother) because of Connery.

12. I think its just a ploy to sell movie tickets, black batman, black superman etc. Nothing but using a stick to poke old people and stir the shit.

13. Kim Johnson says:

Black Dorothy, black Annie, black Barbie, black Bond!!! Yes!!! Let's do this!!!!

14. Jay Contreras says:

Exactly. If the ancient kemites can be portrayed as white, then he needs to shut up about James Bond.

15. Jay Contreras says:

16. Bwire Vincent says:

I thought James Bond, Agent 007 was a title; meaning, anyone, from any race, can play the role…

17. Jay Contreras True, it's looks stupid when white people do it and stupid when we do it, too. I don't think it's racist to have a particular character's identity be defined by race amongst other attributes. There is so much unexplored material on the perspective, character, and experiences of black people that we should really dive into the well-spring of our rich heritage and current diversity in cultural experiences to present new, fresh movie material. We don't need to resurrect old, overused characters like James Bond, Annie, Cinderella,Santa Clause, etc. We have a wealth of heroes and sheroes whose experiences we can expound and fantasize about on the big screen. I believe the reason a black bond is even being considered is to reign in the lucrative black dollar to the bond franchise. It's just a hunch, but I would like to see Elba play a double agent that uses is street experience, cross-cultural swag, and intelligence to right the wrongs of the world under a different name… and let that character begin a new franchise.

18. Tanycha Ellis I hear you, and I most certainly do not disagree with anything you've stated. I'm thinking the Idris and Bond thing has an intrigue because Idris is very popular now, and his race (color) brings a different, new dynamic to a fictional character who has such a following that he's (Bond) maintained his popularity despite having been played by many different men.

I'm going to guess that the last few Bond films haven't done "great" at the box office. And I think Sony is hoping to capitalize on the three-way marriage of Bond's following, Idris' popularity, and the different twist of him being a race outside of the Bond norm. To be honest, I didn't rush to see the last few Bond movies. I'm not even sure if I saw the last one or not, but the last one I did see was from the Redbox. If people are like me, and many are, Bond, for whatever reason, has lost some of its appeal. The Idris twist may be what it needs to get it back.

Having said that, Idris can most certainly hold his own with a new Bond-like character. I enjoyed watching him in the series "Luther." That series proves that he would thrive in a role like the one you've described.

19. Freedom Cobra Couragewolf What from the "middle east" has the appeal or international popularity to draw people to see a Bond movie?? I can't think of anyone. Sony is banking on Idris' international appeal, and the fresh dynamic of James Bond being another race.

Sure, there will be some who won't see it because of Idris, but obviously there are many more who are probably not rushing, or making it to see the Bond films with the same level of commitment as before. Hence the need to change it up. And I can't think of a better person to so it with than English born, African descent, Idris Elba. I certainly can't think of a middle-eastern actor that would cause me to go see it.

20. Winston Samuels but it was still a White Mans Story, he travelled all over so should he have been, Spanish ,German, French etc ridiculous!!!!

21. White people are stupid….. Sad but stupid!!!

22. Blacks represent 30% of tickets sales and not to mention other minorities the movies don't represent that percentage. But I do agree with him let 007 states white and write him in as 008 or any number who cares just make more black movies

23. Mark Gilmore says:

Rush Limbaugh, First of all it's only a movie, but now you know how black people feel when you have a white men play the part of Yeshuah (Jesus) The Christ.

24. Mark Gilmore says:

25. James Hall says:

Who cares what Rush thinks, but the "dittoheads" that follow him?