Surrounded by three women who had just detailed what they called sexual assaults by Bill Cosby, attorney Gloria Allred held a news conference in Los Angeles to propose that Cosby dig into his considerable fortune to settle the matter.
Cosby, who has been the recent focus of a flood of sexual assault allegations, was challenged by Allred to face his accusers in court or put up $100 million to settle their claims.
“The public deserves to know if Mr. Cosby is a saint or a sexual predator,” Allred said, according to a report on CNN.
Many of the allegations against Cosby are more than a decade old and beyond the statute of limitations for him to suffer any legal ramifications. It would be up to Cosby to waive the statute of limitations in order for his accusers to sue him, CNN reports.
The settlement option Allred proposed would put the $100 million into a fund and a panel of retired judges would determine the validity of victim claims and award compensation where it is due.
“We challenge Mr. Cosby to end this nightmare for both him and the alleged victims by accepting either of the options,” Allred said.
At least 20 women have publicly accused Cosby.
Neither Cosby nor his lawyers have responded to Allred’s proposition.
Cosby’s attorney, Martin D. Singer, denies the claims.
“So many people would have said nothing, done nothing, and made no reports to law enforcement or asserted civil claims if they thought they had been assaulted over a span of so many years,” Singer said in a statement to CNN.
Cosby has received public support from Whoopi Goldberg and Jill Scott, and he thanked them via his Twitter account.
Since the resurfacing of these allegations, Cosby has had some live performances cancelled and even offered refunds for his Saturday performance in Tarrytown, NY. He also resigned from his position on the board of trustees at his alma mater, Temple University.