10 Fascinating Facts About Abraham Lincoln and Slavery

lincoln-memorial-wallpaper-download-abraham-lincoln-wallpaper-2300x1764-wallpoper-qtvz1vhh

• In the 1840s, the self-educated Abraham Lincoln represented slave owner Robert Matson, who wanted to once again enslave a free, mixed-race woman. Lincoln lost the case, and Jane Bryant and her children were declared officially free. They later settled in Liberia.
  • In 1842, Lincoln married Mary Todd. Her family in Kentucky enslaved Black men and women.
  • While serving as an elected representative in the Illinois legislature, Lincoln supported Zachary Taylor, a slave owner, in Taylor’s 1848 bid for the presidency.

15 thoughts on “10 Fascinating Facts About Abraham Lincoln and Slavery

1. at the same time he ordered the largest mass execution in U.S. History in MN of the Dakota people. There is nothing heroic about him just politics.

2. During the war, Lincoln made a very telling statement, he said to the confederacy south, "Lay down your weapons or I will free the slaves". Speaks volume to me.

3. Ascencion Gomez says:

Yeap! The Man was a scumbag…

4. Grady Nelson says:

Well, well, well! A historian who has actually got it right! I take my hat off to the writer of this article. P.S. Don't forget Lincoln was a great "vampire killer" too…..

5. Korey Moore says:

Yes he was a great vampire killer, that movie taught me so much.

6. Mark Curran says:

Ascencion Gomez Scum bag? A little knowledge is a stupid thing. Frederick Douglass had to correct stupid people about Lincoln — and did so. Frederick DOuglass said Lincoln was "radical, swift zealous and determined" to end slavery and for equality. Now why the hell would he say that? When you learn all the details of what Douglass knew, you wont be so easily fooled. LIncoln was hated at the time — called a "Igger Lover" more times than he could wount. Stephen A Douglas told crowds dozens of times, and LIncoln was a "Negro lover" — only he didn't use the word Negro, he said the N word. S Douglas said Lincoln was "obsessed with equality for the "Negro" and want "your daughters to sleep wth Negroes. Only again, he didn't say Negro, he used the N word,. If you read all his speeches — and find all his actions — Lincoln was kicking slavery in the ass sideways for years. Did you know that? Do you have a clue of his total history>? DO you even know his full speeches? See how Douglass corrected stupid people, and more, what Frederick Douglass knew that we today are not told about at all.

7. Mark Curran says:

Frederick Dougass was there, maybe he knew something See what Frederick Douglass said, and why, if you are too stupid to read all Lincolns speeches and writings — thousands of them. And learn context.

8. Thomas W. Yale With all the information on Lincoln and the Ciivil War, you covered it all. When I read it, I had put the Civil War and Lincoln I believe, thsi was about ten years ago.

9. Mark Curran I did not need to read all of racist Lincoln speeches, to have discovered the one in which he said he would free black people who were held as slaves if the south did not lay their weapons downs. Who are you calling stupid you racist pig, why don't you take a time out in the sun for a while. I will not read any more of your response, racist are not qualified to speak on slavery, or nothing regarding Afurakan people.

10. Well, sometimes in politics, to get what you want you might have to speak the language of people who would vote you to power. As a politician, Lincoln was right since black folks count not vote him to power. It would be difficult to defend that Lincoln did not want black folks have equal rights as white folks, and that he was willing to take the country to war for that reason..;.

11. Well, sometimes in politics, to get what you want you might have to speak the language of people who would vote you to power. As a politician, Lincoln was right since black folks count not vote him to power. It would be difficult to defend that Lincoln did not want black folks have equal rights as white folks, and that he was willing to take the country to war for that reason..;.

12. There is a time and place for everything.

13. Abe was a black man.

14. Korey Moore says:

Lincoln was still a racist and I quote, " I will say then, that I am not or ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way, the social and political equality, of the whit and black races. That I am not, nor have ever been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, not of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people and I will say in addition to this, that there is a physical difference between white and black races, which will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And as much as they cannot live, while they do remain together, there must be a position of Superior and Inferior, and I as much as any other man, am in favor of having the Superior position assigned to the white race".

Abraham Lincoln 1858.