14 Black Celebrities You Can Now Call Doctor

Sean "Diddy" Combs  honorary degree

Sean Combs

Music mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs was granted an honorary doctorate degree in humanities on Saturday during a graduation ceremony at Howard University.

Dressed in full graduation regalia, complete with gold tassel on his black cap, the 44-year-old hip-hop impresario told the audience that enrolling at Howard changed his life. And although he left the Washington, D.C., university before graduating, he never forgot his Howard family. Combs attended Howard as a business major in 1990, but did not complete his degree.

“Only this family could take one of its sons who already had three name changes and give him a fourth — Dr. Sean Combs,” exclaimed Combs.

denzel washington honorary degreeDenzel Washington

Veteran actor Denzel Washington received an honorary doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania in May 2011. Washington also delivered the keynote address to the school’s graduating students.

In his remarks to the students, he admitted that the idea of imparting wisdom to so many young adults was frightening.”I had to come exactly because I might make a fool of myself,” he joked. “I’ve found that nothing in life is worthwhile unless you take risks. Nothing.”

6 thoughts on “14 Black Celebrities You Can Now Call Doctor

1. Oscar Holmes IV says:

I don't mind these stories, but as someone who has an earned doctorate, it bewilders me why we aren't profiled similarly. Considering the exclusivity of earning doctorates, in a given year there would only be a few hundred to profile. Surely, this is possible and perhaps even more inspiring to others to pursue higher education.

2. Anonymous says:

So damn what they got doctorates, they ain't nothing but black bourgeois [email protected]$ that think they better than everybody else because them crackas gave them a title

3. Jc Varnadore says:

Great job! Just what our young men and women need to see!

4. Michael J Rice says:

I am in favor of recognizing excellence in the African American community in his/her respective fields, but not in the form of an unearned fictitious honorary doctoral designation. I do not believe that most of the recipients and general public have any idea the immense hard work, dedication, and perseverance it takes to earn a doctoral degree. If we are going to shine the spot light in the name of education why not recognize the educators who have actually have earned the degree.

5. David Julius Ford says:

I totally agree with you, Michael. I put in the work to earn mine and will not call them doctor. The only ones pictured here that have earned doctoral degrees are Bill Cosby, and Barack and Michelle Obama.

6. David Julius Ford says:

Oscar, I totally agree with you. Only a few of them pictured here have earned doctorates: Bill Cosby and The Obamas. Let's highlight those of us in the African American Community who have gone through the blood, sweat, and tears to earn our doctoral degrees.