12 Racist Logos You Didn’t Know Were Used by Popular Brands

Negro Steel Wool

Negro – Magic Steel Wool

Arab website Kabobfest.com reports that this steel wool is manufactured by the German company Oscar Weil, which is owned by the German-Jewish Weil family. The Weils were disowned by the Nazis, but the company was returned to the family after WWII. The “Negro – Magic Steel Wool” logo is actually what a Lebanese importing company uses to market and sell the steel wool in the Middle East. This steel wool is apparently the Middle East’s No. 1 seller.

aunt jemima

Aunt Jemima

Aunt Jemima is arguably the most well-known and longest-lasting brand that used a racist caricature to market its product. When Charles Rutt and Charles G. Underwood created a self-rising flour in 1889, Rutt called it Aunt Jemima’s recipe after watching a minstrel show that featured a skit with a Southern mammy named Jemima. In 1989, Quaker Oats, which had purchased the Aunt Jemima Mill Co. in 1926, updated Jemima’s image to a modern African-American woman. But the name stayed.

40 thoughts on “12 Racist Logos You Didn’t Know Were Used by Popular Brands

1. What about Darkie? Fazer Licorice Sticks? Black Man cookies? I mean is there really any need to name your cookies Black Man? So unnecessary!

2. Sehkmet Chione EL says:

What about Mrs. Buttersworth?

3. Chris Bright says:

Are you serious? Your ancestors would slap you in the mouth for saying this is not racist.

4. U of Ky 1977 …thousands singing about "darkies"…
    the plantation seer

5. Some of these images are just irredeemable – others, maybe not so much. And that raises a question for me:

Given that advertising images very often are cartoonish or caricatured, how could advertisers use non-White images in ways which would *not* be racist / stereotypical / pandering to dominant-culture prejudice?

Can anyone think of any such advertisements they have seen?

6. For those of you don't understand that this advertisement is done as conditioning process of propaganda towards black people and for non black people. If I can shape and project your image as negative or less than I can rationalize or justify actions and behavior towards you. For black people to say this doesn't matter or isn't racist aren't or don't understand the significance of conditioning the mind on what we see and hear. Other groups of people understand this premise and will not allow their image to be shown in these manners. When will we as black people get!

7. Owow but that watermelon soda is so good though..I didn't know it was racist

8. Juan Rivas says:

and where is the Quaker Man?

9. Tony Evans says:

White people, have made billions witht a B off of the african American culture, and some house N- words sorry azzes are so damn stupid to to realize, that it was the Deaths of millions of black people, that gave us all the freedom to go, live, and work where we were not wanted, and dont you ever for get your black mother, she waled the floors crying her self to sleep, wondering and worrying about how she's giong to cloth and feed yo stupid azz…

10. Rui Kusuriuri Rodrigues says:

Well i dont know if its right or wrong but i grow up eating conguitos and even as a kid i never related as racist becouse it was a black cartoon…i really didnt look at it as a racist view of a black person, some of the products are really racist but some of them its just the synism that some adults have of everything, well thats just my opinion,

11. Keon Wimsatt says:

Some of this stiff isnt racist just in bad taste.

12. well, I have to ask what 'exactly' would you call it??? 'Racially Insensitive'?? I mean these Corporations made Hundreds of thousands, maybe more, and gave nothing to these cultures. #theblindinglightofmisinformationmustend

13. Jasi ThatZeta Nickson says:

The fact that she is called.mrs. excludes her from this list.. remember for a.black woman to.be called.mrs. to pre 1970 white people was a . privileged. "Right" of them admitting we are equals

14. Nolan Young says:

Chris Bright He's a White Troll

15. These are irrelevant, in my opinion! Not because they are not offensive, but because we are supposed to be so mentally strong, seeing as we have witnessed such atrocities as a people, AND YET STILL STAND, that these coded versions of hate are like fruit flies in the summer, we just swat them away without even thinking about it! We are strong, so let's act like it.

16. Nolan Young What does this mean?Chris would be a white man emulating black people comments or you being a black man impersonating a white folk.. ?

17. Nolan Young What does this mean?Chris would be a white man emulating black people comments or you being a black man impersonating a white folk.. ?

18. And what about a black president?

19. Bwire Vincent says:

How can the culture end when respectable Black actors keep jumping at every opportunity to play the clown, just for a chance be in Hollywood, or the self stereotyping, which Black comedians engage in when they run out of jokes?

20. Billy Armando Duran-Abreu says:

These companies are sick! What sucks is that many of us have been supporting many of these companies over the years and have had no idea. I just hope that in time none of this will be tolerated by any company.

21. Billy Armando Duran-Abreu says:

22. Ebony Chorales says:

"Mrs. Buttersworth" has been CLEARLY shown and marketed as a caucasian "grandmotherly" type! They don't run ads for the product anymore. As is typical of the bottling process for dark syrup, either the bottle glass is dark to "preserve" the syrup (like vitamin bottles do),or the figure appears to be dark/brown-skinned simply because the syrup is dark. I haven't recollection of Mrs. Buttersworth to have had a version of the clear CORN SYRUP like the Kayro® brand syrup. All said …… Mrs. B is caucasian.

23. We don't have a chance their patient and experienced at not just dividing the darkest skinned people but also the lights skinned people. The only way we can overcome this abuses is to overcome our own hatred learn to live, development and devote our lives to protecting one another

24. There's a false expression of solidarity but the truth is everyone suffers

25. Arron Frazier So we should resort to using their tactics. Obviously, as history has portrayed, what works for them, does not work for us. Return to reading my original post and you will see that my statement (I will copy it for easier transcription) was "…but because we are supposed to be so mentally strong, seeing as we have witnessed such atrocities as a people, AND YET STILL STAND…" I neither discredit nor disparage my people for the BATTLE that has been ensuing. When they attempt to wipe you out as a group, and you not only survive, but advance and multiply, you are STRONG. That is why I said your comment, which I compared to a rant because of its confrontational tone, was null and void. But I will give you this, there is one concept that the Jews use that can and will work for us, standing together. That means when I make it successfully, I set up opportunities for others from my community to do the same. If we do that, more of us will have 'buying power' which along with KNOWLEDGE puts you into a position to dictate what and how you are perceived, collectively and individually. We do that, and we can have more say, as you are calling for!

26. Ellis Marcelle What tactics are you talking about? Any people or group with a ounce of sense in their head will and must control the perception and presentation of their image and history.

27. Ellis Marcelle Everything you see or hear is political with a objective of conditioning the mind to be control by who ever pushing that agenda. It doesn't matter if we become great or where not being attacked these actions are for control of the mind and its the same no matter the condition of social status education status or wealth status. You and I may not be affected by this but the majority of black people aren't on a conscious or unconscious level not be affected by this psycho warfare. There's a reason why billions are spent on advertisement. They work.

28. I will NEVER patronize this show!

29. Anonymous says:

Racist? You dipshits. Uh-oh. Now I'm racist, too.

30. Larry Burks says:

@Randy, don't be naive. Btw, you do know that PROBY is a PLANTATION name right?

31. Larry Burks says:

@Randy, don't be naive. Btw, you do know that PROBY is a PLANTATION name right?

32. Rosita Smith says:

Hey, uncle Ben was a racists stereotype because it was the first advertisement to feature a well
    dressed Black man selling a product that makes money. We wouldn't want that image to get out now would we? lol

33. Rosita Smith says:

Hey, I get now what racism means. When you have character representing a product that people feel is deeming than it's racists so long as the people aren't of European decent. Negative stereotypes are when you are depicted holding a job that's honest but low paying in wages and you speak in a manner that's not educated as long as you are not European in heritage. I'm saying this to let people know that I've seen heard and know of examples where people of European heritage are depicted as so called buffoons and oofs. Let Midnight tell you a tale of two heritages. There were two television shows that depicted characters that were less than flattering to one's heritage in the 1950's. Both were about some people that spoke broken English and got into fixes because of their crazy activities. One had men speaking alot of crazy slang and giving a world a glimpse of the uneducated masses; while the other was about two couples that got into situations defied all realm of sanity. The two shows had a lot in common. First of all, both had people working honest jobs. Secondly, there was one character that would think of the weirdest things to get rich. (It never really worked) Third, they always enlisted the help of the other charters that were usually friends or family. Finally, they both made you laugh and you could related to their wanting to have better things even if you couldn't quite relate to how they went about achieving it. Sadly on one of the shows is seen on tv. The I love Lucy show. The other one was Amos and Andy. Now I ask you how much is pride really worth when you consider that being uneducated and doing goofy things doesn't make you any less of a human being. You are doing honest work even in the work you are presenting. You make people laugh and forget there cares for awhile. I bet you I could name more embarrassing things to look at than either one of those two shows. I realize that people want to be viewed in a positive life but what do you consider positive. I think it means honest people working hard and living honest and clean lives. They may make a mistake or two along the way but in the end they aren't people I'd be ashamed to know; how about you?

34. Sumi Nia Meäns says:

35. Veronica Juarez Oldenburg says:

I think the author missed something… "Conguitos" doesn't really resemble "Congo"- in Spanish, it resembles "chonguitos" which means "little monkeys," which is way more racist and he didn't even know it!

36. Best cleaning up is to not buy there shit. Find out the parent companies and boycott all of them forever. I'm not into changing mind, stop giving them ur money and let's create our own so that our inventors patents aren't bought by major corporations etc. I don't deal with any of these companies nor there parent companies.

37. Nixon Manuel says:

Yes, conguitos does mean "little Congo people".

38. Sam Leung says:

Never use wikipedia as a source. And Darlie doesn't mean black person either. Go to http://forvo.com/word/%E9%BB%91%E4%BA%BA/ and listen to the pronunciation of the word. Does any of them sound like darlie?