Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi faced a phalanx of reporters on Capitol Hill yesterday and refused to back down from inflammatory statements made during a weekend interview when he called Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas an “Uncle Tom,” and declared that racism was driving virulent Republican opposition to President Obama.

The comments were made during Thompson’s appearance on a New Nation of Islam radio show. Thompson accused Republican Gov. Phil Bryant of Mississippi of turning down $426 million in Medicaid funding through Obamacare for the state, whose residents are the poorest in the nation, “just because a Black man created it.”

Surrounded by reporters on Capitol Hill yesterday, according to McClatchy News Service, Thompson said, “I’ve been here a long time. … I’ve never seen the venom put forth on another candidate or president like I’ve seen with this president. And that’s my opinion.”

In response, Bryant said in a statement: “Those types of inflammatory statements don’t deserve a response.”

During the radio interview, Thompson said that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky “had the audacity” to tell Obama, “‘I don’t care what you come up with, we’re gonna be against it.’

“If that’s not a racist statement, I don’t know what is,” said Thompson, the 11-term congressman who is the longest- serving in Mississippi’s history.

Speaking of Supreme Court Justice Thomas, Thompson said, “It’s almost to the point where this man doesn’t even like Black people, he doesn’t like being Black, because every decision where color had something to do with it, he was against it.”

Speaking to reporters yesterday, he expounded on the point, adding: “Well, if you look at his decisions on the court, they have been adverse to the minority community, and the people I represent have a real issue with an African-American not being [sensitive] to those issues.”

Pointing to Thomas’ votes against voting rights and affirmative action, he said, “All those issues are very important and for someone in the court who is African-American and not sensitive to that, is a real problem.”

Asked by CNN reporter Dana Bash whether “Uncle Tom” was a racially charged term, Thompson replied, “For some it is, for others it’s the truth.”

80 thoughts on “Mississippi Congressman Doesn’t Back Down After Calling Clarence Thomas ‘Uncle Tom’

1. Harold Mason says:

What can you say after the Sterling issue and keep in mind it's not just professional sports it's the every day business where people are committing the same acts and statements- some have been in local courts some to the U.S. Supreme Sourt

2. Harold Mason says:

3. Good! About time some of our leaders stand up and speak the truth.

4. Laura George says:

beautifully said!!!!!!!!!

5. That's exactly what Uncle Tom-Ass Clarence is,
    a personified "Uncle Tom" in every sense of the word!!

6. I so love, this retort!

7. Sundiata Keita says:

i seen the video, im mad at the white girl acting like nobody ever said anything racist against Obama. let me tell you, these white folks protect their Toms with a vengeance.

8. Ocie Williams says:

Amen

9. In light of Justice Thomas recently joining in Scalia's dissent found afterwards to be factually incorrect and his implacable reticence to engage in oral argument, sooner or later it had to be said.

10. Jacob N Leigh Woodard says:

Very educated response.

11. Jacob N Leigh Woodard says:

It's absolutely ridiculous that a word is only offensive if said by another race. It's fucking stupid and shows how America isn't moving forward. If a white congressman had said this, the fucking world would be crumbling down around him. This double standard crap isn't making things more equal, it just shows that we are still worlds apart and apparently, according to these posts, it's the way people want it to be. If a word is offensive, then it is offensive….plain in simple. It should be offensive to all not some if it truly is an offensive term. This childish, "well I'm black so I can say it" nonsense just further proves that we are not equal and will always separate Americans. Grow the hell up. Also, just because a black justice doesn't always vote democrat, doesn't mean he's an uncle tom but god forbid he thinks outside of the party lines.

12. Nolan Sims says:

ok liberals……where is the faux outrage you displayed against the basketball team owner. did you not get the memo from jesse or al? i know you need prompted by someone because you are intellecually deficient

13. Nolan Sims says:

re you really that stupid?

14. Nolan Sims says:

do you really want to stay a slave to the liberal idiots?

15. Nolan Sims I am a slave to no one. The far left and the far right are all nut jobs. I would guess that you fall into one of the two categories.

16. Nolan Sims says:

David Simmons and you would be incorrect

17. Jacob N Leigh Woodard You don't know what the heck you are talking about. If a white person had called Clarence Thomas Uncle Tom, we would not have a problem with it. If you call someone an uncle tom who helps our race, then we would correct them, obviously you do not know, what a tom is. What has Clarnece Thomas done to help black people? He is against Affrimitive Action, and anything that may benefit black people.

18. I like this fellow. Truth needs no defending

19. John Wong says:

Nzingha Shabaka Many blacks feel affimative action has outlived its usefulness and demeans the black man as if he needed help in keeping up with other ethnic groups.

20. Sundiata Keita says:

Jacob N Leigh Woodard i didnt read your comment and i dont talk to demons. only a demon would not want me to live in their neighborhood and pay their government to control every aspect of my life physically, then turn around and follow me around the internet to tell my african mind how i better think.
    demon blocked

21. Sundiata Keita says:

Nolan Sims i didnt read your comment and i dont talk to demons. only a demon would not want me to live in their neighborhood and pay their government to control every aspect of my life physically, then turn around and follow me around the internet to tell my african mind how i better think.
    demon blocked

22. John Wong Everybody else got help, all kinds of free stuff for whites, free land, affrimitve action. Blacks held in slavery, came with nothing, we had to make it cold turkey. Educate yourself, free stuff for whites, in the making of America,

23. I sent CNN an email, and told them, Don Lemon need to apology to Rep. Thompson, for referring to him as angry. They responded they had recieved my email, that is what they always say, not saying they may not have talked to him, hope sp.

24. Kevin M. Schmitt says:

ONE VERY IGNORANT SO CALLED INTELIGENT DUMB A$$SES EVER WORST THAN OLD WHITE FOLK NOT KNOWING SO IGNORANT

25. Kevin M. Schmitt says:

David Simmons Your Heart is Hardened & Fails All Truth MY BROTHER !

26. Jacob N Leigh Woodard says:

Nzingha Shabaka So your certain in this day and age giving folks extra assistance based purely on skin color is the best way to make us all equal? Really?

27. Jacob N Leigh Woodard says:

What exactly are you trying to say? I think my 2 year has better English than your post. Second, it doesn't make a damn lick of sense. Grow up.

28. Henry Rollins says:

This is more overt racism, with no apologies, than what Sterling said earlier in a private conversation (for which he apologized). How is this not plastered all over the news like the Sterling event was…especially considering that a Congressman should be more of a stand-up role model than a basketball team owner? Yes, racism exists on all fronts, but it seems that it only has repercussions when it's convenient for blacks and latinos.

And for all those who can't understand why a negative comment from a black person towards another black person is racist, consider that the comment "Uncle Tom" is actually an attack against whites. it is a derogatory term meant to infer that a black person is beneath them by supposedly adopting a stereotypical "white" stance or behavior…which indirectly infers that whites are beneath them.

29. Henry Rollins says:

Nzingha Shabaka What is Affrimitive Action? Is that how you got into Southern University?

30. Henry Rollins says:

In the past, some white people called other white people who stood up for black people "nigger lovers". Today some white people call other white people who supposedly adopt stereotypical "black" stances and behaviors as "wiggers". I don't think many people of any race would say that those are not derogatory terms today. So, why do a lot of blacks think nothing of calling another black person an Uncle Tom when it's in the same category?

31. Henry Rollins says:

Derrick A. Capers Your ignorance is showing…

32. Henry Rollins says:

Nzingha Shabaka So, as a white person, if I call another white person who supposedly adopts stereotypical "black" stances and behaviors a "wigger"…that's okay?

33. Henry Rollins says:

Alright, enough with the blanket liberal statements. I consider myself more liberal than conservative but I am also appalled at the double-standard levied against Sterling.

34. Henry Rollins says:

Jacob N Leigh Woodard According to his profile, he seems like an old white dude…maybe dementia is setting in.

35. Henry Rollins says:

Yeah, I'm sure you'll remember that the next time a white person makes a racist comment.

36. Matt Matt says:

Or perhaps Justice Thomas is a very educated and mature individual who decides issues based on the constitution and not on the ebb and flow of what is popular to vote for. Perhaps he decides issues based on the facts than what society says a black man should or should not stand for. Heaven forbid a supreme court justice does his job the way he is supposed to do it.

No man is obligated by his race to act a certain way!

37. Matt Matt says:

Nzingha Shabaka Justice Thomas' job is not "to help black people." His job as a justice is to decide legal issues according to the constitution, current law, and case law regardless of his race and the race of the person involved in the case.
    No man is obligated by his race to act a certain way! Perhaps Thomas, as an educated man, is able to separate his personal feelings and just decide based on the facts. And in this doing his job properly people have the balls to say he should rule a certain way for not other reason than "he is black." That is racism.

38. DAYUM!!!!! FOR SOME IT IS, FOR SOME ITS THE TRUTH.

39. Henry Rollins, your ignorance is apparent!

40. Nolan Sims Your what's known,
    as a persistent Troll!

41. SOME OF YOU TRULY SEE AMERICA WITH OUT A BLEMISH. SOME OF YOU, DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT SLAVERY, WAS 400 YEARS PLUS, AND WE CAN GO BACK EVEN FURTHER. SLAVERY DOMINATED THE WORLD, WHITE PEOPLE HAD A FREE RIDE OFF THE BACKS OF SLAVERY, BLACK PEOPLE HAD NOTHING. SO YES, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION IS THERE TO GIVE US A FREE RIDE, AND YES, CLARENCE THOMAS, IS A UNCLE TOM. THE SUPREME COURT HAD A MAJOR PART IN SLAVERY, LEAVE IT UP TO THE BLACK MAN, HE IS ROLLING BACK THE TIDES. LEAVE IT TO CLARENCE THOMAS, BLACK PEOPLE AND NATIVE AMERICANS, WILL BE HUNTED DOWN LIKE DOGS. FOR YOU THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT UNCLE TOM MEANS, IT IS THE WORST THING A BLACK MAN CAN BE CALLED, IN HIS OWN RACE. GOOD JOB, @Nzingha Shabaka, YOU ARE DEAD ON WITH YOUR REFERENCE, CONCERNING CLARENCE THOMAS, WE NEED MORE SISTERS LIKE YOU. AND CLARENCE THOMAS NEEDS TO RECLUSE HIMSELF, GO HOME TO YOUR WHITE WIFE, AND DRINK LEMONADE IN THE COUNTRY SOMEWHERE, AND LOOK OLD RERUNS OF EARLY 1900, COON SHOWS, DEPICTING BLACK PEOPLE AS ANIMALS. YOU NEED TO GO TO AFRICA, AND LET THE ASHANTI ELDERS IN GHANA, RE-BLESS YOU, YOU HAVE TRULY LOST YOUR WAY. #SUPERUCNLETOM

42. Jacob N Leigh Woodard YES I DO, LOOK IT FROM OUR EYES, AND DON'T LOOK AT IT FROM YOUR WHITE PRIVILEGED, STATE OF MIND, (IM NOT TRYING TO BE FUNNY) BUT THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH EUROPEAN AMERICANS, THEY FORGET THAT BLACK PEOPLE ARE STILL SUFFERING FROM SLAVERY, YOU CANT ERASE 400 PLUS YEARS OF BRUTALITY. A LOT OF BLACK PEOPLE ARE STILL MENTALLY TRAPPED, FROM THIS BRUTALITY. NOW LISTEN TO ME. AFTER SLAVERY BLACK PEOPLE, WERE GIVEN NOTHING, WE WERE BEAT DOWN, WHEN WE GOT FREEDOM, WE WERE BEAT DOWN AGAIN. THUS LEAVING US POOR AND BROKEN DOWN. JEW S GOT REPARATIONS, AND THEY HELP DOMINATE THE SLAVE TRADE, IT WASN'T JUST WHIT PEOPLE. NATIVE AMERICANS GOT REPARATIONS, BUT WHEN BLACK PEOPLE TALK ABOUT SLAVERY, THEY SAY GET OVER IT, OK I WILL, WHEN I GET MY REPARATIONS, UNTIL THEN, AMERICA WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE, FOR GENOCIDE, RAPE, AND THE DESTRUCTION OF A WHOLE RACE OF PEOPLE, IN AMERICA AND AFRICA. SO BROTHER, BE SENSITIVE TO OUR VIEWS, AND LOOK AT IT FROM OUR EYES, WE DON'T HATE WHITE PEOPLE, WE WANT YOU TO HELP US GET REPARATIONS, OR THE SINS OF YOUR FOREFATHERS WILL FOREVER, HAUNT THIS COUNTRY. Atlanta Black Star THIS IS A WONDERFUL ARTICLE I JUST WROTE, AND I WRITE A BUNCH OF OTHER NICE ARTICLES. CAN I GET A CHECK IN THE MAIL. LOL. I HELP KEEP YOU GUYS ALIVE.

43. Nolan Sims says:

Derrick A. Capers , it's you're dumbass! you're what is known as a liberal whinner!

44. Jacob N Leigh Woodard says:

Antonio Martin Please give me a break. You're still suffering from slavery? Tell me how you are affected by slavery. It's time to stop using an excuse such as slavery(even that ended well over a century ago) for not doing well or at least trying in the world. Apparently everyone is out to get you. Keep looking for excuses why you can't succeed in the world and the world will just pass you by. I don't care for excuses, especially when you started this by calling me privileged. I guess growing up poor as a white kid is nothing compared to being a poor black kid. Whatever, it's more colorful nonsense that keeps blacks down. Claiming to be repressed for all eternity is not going to help you. It's time to stop pointing the finger and do something for yourself. The more that you identify with only the color of your skin, the more you will be separated from the rest of America. Keep doing it if that's what you want. Oh yeah, typing in all caps doesn't make your point better, it just makes you look like a child and uneducated.

45. Jacob N Leigh Woodard says:

Antonio Martin "THEY SAY GET OVER IT, OK I WILL, WHEN I GET MY REPARATIONS." That is gold. "Give me money for what my ancestors went through, not on my merit or self accomplishment." You are far out there my friend. Also, thanks for diminishing everything I have worked hard for simply because I'm white. It's not like I joined the Marines right out of high school, went to school after deploying to two wars, and landed a career based on my MERIT! It's time to stop blaming something that happened well over a century ago and do something for yourself. It's all nonsense. And what have I received for free? Was I given my enlistment for free? or my education? or anything I had to go through raising my daughters while trying to land a career? You are what's wrong with America, you and everyone who thinks they deserve something for nothing.

46. It's time out for racism as of today let's do what we know is right for our country(United States). And whatever else you do let's respect our President of the United States. Quit saying Obama and say President Obama.

47. Matt Matt says:

Antonio Martin perhaps they should also seek reparations in Africa since Africans captured other Africans and sold them as slaves to the Europeans.

48. Jacob N Leigh Woodard lol your to much guy, you make me laugh. we good, cause you just don't understand.

49. Matt Matt does it make it right that the Europeans excepted the offer, in the name wonderful name of Jesus, two wrongs don't make a right..

50. Matt Matt man Thomas is a uncle tom, straight up.

51. Matt Matt says:

Antonio Martin Absolutely, everyone involved is culpable, however everyone involved is long since dead and so are their children and their children's children. I think reparations simply aren't reasonable or rationale at this point. No one living today has the blood on their hands. For the government to pay reparations would mean that you and I would end up paying since our taxes fund the government but I certainly had nothing to do with slavery and neither did you. Furthermore how do you even administer reparations? If I am half black to I get half the amount? What if I am black bust my family came to America 30 years ago and therefore my family never suffered setbacks from slavery, do I get any money?

The USA has many social programs to help the less fortunate and they are open to anyone regardless of race. I don't think we need special social programs for people of one race. I agree the first few generations of blacks after slavery definitely had a harder life than everyone else but at this point, so many generations later, I do not accept the argument that it is still emotional trauma going on. I am not saying that no one feels it but that at this late in the game it is not reasonable. Blacks can and do succeed now in America, if one is not doing well it is by their own failure not residuals from slavery.

My point about people in Africa was to illustrate what seemed to be a double standard. Why only go after American government or the English government for reparations?

52. Jacob N Leigh Woodard says:

Antonio Martin Perfect rebuttal when you don't have one.

53. Jacob N Leigh Woodard oh i have a lot trust me, its just no point dude, there is a lady who teaches white people to see the world through the black eye, she does a good job, cause when white people leave the class, they have an awe moment, some even cry. and she is a white professor, love that lady. there is no point of debating bro, we will just be spinning our wheels. the Caribbean is very close to getting their reparations, Kenya already got theirs from the Brits, they massacred a whole slew of people, backed by the queen of England. Rwanda will get theirs too, as the Belgians and the French were behind the Rwandan, genocide. so its all in a matter of time bro. we all most had ours in the states, but the judge wants the paper work to be rewritten a certain way.. lol so its going to happen. you should be happy, that the present is correcting the wrong of wall street.

54. Jacob N Leigh Woodard another thing bro, you can have uncle tom Clarence, we don't want him, he cheated on his wife anyway, so whats the difference.

55. the Jews are still getting reparations, is it to late in the game for them? and if a German bigot is found, he will be prosecuted to the fullest, many years after the Jewish holocaust. so i dare anyone to go and tell the Jews to get over it. they will label you an anti-semite. but black people is supposed to lay down, and don't talk about slavery. so in our case, it will make you an anti – hamite/semite.

56. Matt Matt says:

Antonio, if we went with all the wrongs ever perpetuated there wouldn't be a single entity that wouldn't be shelling out some money. 50 years ago, 500 years ago, 1000 years ago? Where do you draw the line? Every group has at some time suffered some injustice at the hands of another group. Slavery is long since over, we fought a war over it. 500,000 americans died to end slavery IIRC. I don't believe we are guilty for the sins of our fathers.

I don't believe the reparations is the way to fix any race issues in America. I don't think it will help. And like I pointed out it would be incredibly complicated to dole out the monies. Who gets how much?

To a certain extent if the black population wants to recover they are going to have to do it themselves. Look at the Japanese, they lost a lot being put into concentration camps during WW2 but they rebounded. When teh Japanese came to Hawaii as plantation workers they were at the bottom of the ladder but now they are at the top. Its no't because they got hand outs and reparations, it is because they worked hard. Blacks in America can do the same and many have, yet it seems many others don't want to try.

57. Ed Tillis says:

I don't see anything untrue in what he said. President Obama has faced unprecedented opposition and disrespect. There is one aspect of his presidency that is unprecedented… Not liberal policy… Not executive orders… Not even nationalized health care (Romney's model). What is it?

58. Matt Matt i would like to see relations in america be fixed. but in the mean time reparations will happen, the bible says so shall a man soweth, that he shall reap. history has a way of correcting it self. look bro, all that free labor, will be paid back, God will see to it, here on earth or in heaven. and to be honest, reparations will come by way of some on you never thought it would be, to be honest, i really think it will be someone like rand paul, i don't agree with him at all, but he has been on the forefront, of getting black people out of jail, who has long sentences. bro look, look, like i told the other guy, if you are not black, you will not understand the black struggle. kim kardashian, had an enlightened moment, when she had racial slurs hurled at her daughter, she said i now know how it feels to be black, she goes on to say, it was an eye opener for her, and she feels for her daughter as she gets older. #itsallabouttheexperience

59. Matt Matt Thanks for the information, but I think I know pretty much the duties of the USSC. Clarence Thomas does not support affrimitive action, I think that is not supporting black people, and he benefitted from affrimitive action. The case of the death penalty, he will not even look at the case. I mean, come on now, everybody knows, blacks will get the death penalty in a heart beat for killing a white, but whites hardly ever get the death penalty for killing a black. If he is an informed justice, any black individual case that comes to the USSC, I would take a whole heartly interest in the case because of an example I just gave you. I hope these two cases will help you to see, how Clarence Thomas should/could help black people. Another thing, you cannot compare black people's struggle with no one else, talking about what we could do, maybe if we get help, like everyone else, we could move on. Even those of us who wish to move our race forward, there are always the racist to stop us. It happened when we came out of bondage, at one time blacks were not allowed to open a business, or if a black went into business they would be harrassed, even killed, because the racist pigs, did not want other blacks to open business, fearing it would take away from white business.

60. Matt Matt I hope you would tell that to the GOP justices. How can you say what you are saying, when majority GOP justices, just came out and ruled on afrimitive action in Michican, taking away affrimitive action in attending universities there. You only see things one sided.

61. Antonio Martin Wow, I love it, you are coming in on all four sides. We need more black men like you, who speak the truth, and see this white supremacy world for what it is … It will never change, these folks, real intentions, were to eliminate, all the people of the world, and nobody on the planet but them. The Jonhhys Come Lately.

62. Henry Rollins You just don't get it, what you are saying is not the case. Whites do these things just for the hell of it, Clarnece Thomas and other toms, tom, because they hate their race, and trying to gain positions, and a little power from white folks. Totally different reasons. I bet these so called black lovers, of black people, will not support reparations.

63. Matt Matt says:

Antonio, I believe that you should teach a man to fish rather than just giving him fish so I would never support reparations in the form of free money or property.
    What I do support are various programs aimed at improving the circumstances of the less fortunate through various types of programs that fix the problems in society. However I believe these programs should be for everyone, not just for the black community. These types of programs would benefit the blacks who are less fortunate since it would help anyone and everyone at that level.

I will admit that I am not black and that I haven't grown up to see it from the eyes of a black person. This is a valid point but I think that it should be balanced against the observations of someone who is outside as well. When someone is separated emotionally from an issue they can make certain valuable unbiased observations that someone connected might not make. I did grow up a minority of sorts in a very racially diverse comunity and have been interested in the dynamic of it all for quite some time. (my degree was in sociology)

We may or may not agree on ways to help raise the poor black people up but I think ultimately most of the work needs to be done by the group/person who needs to be raised up. I think the most important factor is when an individual decides to suceed and develops a good work ethic. Without that no amount of help will provide a lasting improvement for the person or comunity.

64. Matt Matt says:

Nzingha Shabaka There is no racial group that is immune from racism. Some groups suffer more and some suffer less. Some minoties will never face it and some majorities will face it.

If you want to make the case that there is some racial disparity in the way justice is served I am sure you could however keep in mind that this does not indicate inherent racism as there are many many factors involved. For example lets say hopothetically that the poor commit crimes at a higher rate and that a certain race make up a higher percentage of poor. We would then see more people of that race in prison but it does not mean the prosecution was somehow racist or race based.
    As for the death penalty cases that may be an issue that needs however your anecdotal example doesn't really serve as proof of anything. There may be a disparity that could/should be discussed though.

You are right that Judge Thomas could use a court case to help the black community but I have three replies:
    1. Judge Thomas is not obligated to help the black community just because he is black. I do not believe that the color of your skin obligates you in any way.
    2. Judge Thomas is obligated to rule on cases accoding to the US constitution which superceeds interests of helping a particular minority group. Sometimes the ruling may help a minority group and sometimes it may not
    3. Judge Thomas may be trying to help the black community but just be doing it in a different way. He may believe that the best way to help the black comunity is not through affirmative action. Now we are all free to agree or disagree with his methods but I think it foolish to reason that he is helping keep minorities down.

Also, you mentioned that Judge Thomas benefited from affirmative action, can you explain how? Did he get preferrential placement in college or something?

65. Matt matt, you're a great guy, but we just see the world differently, I will never be white privileged, and you will never be a nigger, in the eyes of many across this world. See, you can go to Spain and walk freely, I can't do that. Matt, there is a lot of places in this world I will never be able to experience, but reparations will make it all better.

66. sister Nzingha Shabaka, it is hopeless to get some people too see our side, america, and brittain was built by slaves, and the arrogance that these two countries have, will rip a time portal in the middle of the sky; even if God himself said to pay reparations, they would not do it. matt matt, is a good guy, but like i told him, we see the world diffrently.

67. Matt Matt I did not read all your post, because you went off so badly, I became disinterested in what you were trying to say. Obviously your comprehension in reading what I said was off as well. Look, I never said Clarence Thomas should help the black community, economically, I was trying to tell you he does not look at any death penalty cases, and I feel he should, in that many blacks get the death penalty for killing whites, where as whites do not, when they kill a black. I know it will not help blacks economically, but it shows he cares about his race, and that he wants to be sure, those blacks, execution, has been throughly looked at by the USSC. That is showing support and care for his race people. The rest of them do it, in the best interest of their group, that is no secret, and then they are in place to make sure the constitution is interepted correctly, or someone's constitutional rights have not been violated. I will not explain the other responses you had on what I said, becuase you are off on them, and trying to explain myself, probably will not do any good. Like the last question, if you understand why affrimitive action was put in place, I do not believe you would ask that question. I do not call allowing blacks a spot to attend, racist universities, preferrential treatment, it is to stop racism against a few blacks who may want to attend those universities.

68. Matt Matt says:

Nzingha Shabaka I am not really in a position to debate the death penalty issue in terms of Justice Thomas' hearing or not hearing of cases because I don't know the details of the issue you are bringing up so it is hard to offer comment. There may be a good reason for his position and there may not be.
    Keep in mind that the supreme court is petitioned with about 10,000 cases a year of which they are only able to hear about 80. Without getting to into detail there are good reasons that most of the cases are not heard. Not hearing a particular one is not an inherent indication of racial reasons. I am not saying there isn't something wrong but that it is not so simple as looking at a simple statistic.

I do understand the reason affirmative action was put into place however that does not mean I come to the same conclusion on whether it is good or not. I am sure we can both agree the intention was good though. It is a topic I am interested in but do not feel particularly interested in going into since it would end up a bit off topic. It is a complicated and dynamic issue with many different possible stances.

I did find an interesting article about Thomas that does help to explain some of the issues you pose. You don't have to agree with him but I think it is obvious that he is a smart and articulate individual who can back up his decisions. From what I have read of his decisions I like the man and generally agree with him. Bottom line is we are all free to agree or disagree with his decisions however I think calling him Uncle Tom was racist and incredibly shallow and insulting.

69. Clyde Wilson says:

With a kick in the ass I hope

70. Clyde Wilson says:

LaClarence, is unquestionably, an insult to the African American community his ass kissing smirk with fecal matter all over his tongue, in the words of my father "makes my ass sick"

71. Nolan Sims says:

slavery had no affect on you unless you are 200 years old, so shut the fuck up!

72. Nolan Sims says:

Nzingha Shabaka where do i sign up, i missed my free shit

73. Nolan Sims says:

Nzingha Shabaka why are you in favor of affirmative action, it's just another term for discrimination. i thought discrimination was a bad thing.

74. Nolan Sims says:

Nzingha Shabaka if you can present one person who was a slave then i would agree to reparations. why would anyone alive today be due any reparations?

75. Nolan Sims says:

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY? YOU NEED TO STOP HANGING ON THE CORNER WITH HOOD RATS AND READ A BOOK!

76. Nolan Sims like i said, the Jews still get reparations till this day. so i tell ya what, go tell a Jew to shut the fuck up, you don't tell a black man to shut up, you shut up. you racist prick.

77. I don't care what you'll think, pay me my reparations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! end of story….my ancestors would be more than happy to see their child receive their pension for free work.

78. Nolan Sims says:

Antonio Martin explain what reparations jews are getting from the US taxpayers. you are so full of shit you have brown eyes!

79. Nolan Sims obviously you are blind sir, instead of fighting me you should want to see me get reparations, you need to contact the u.s. government, and tell them you are in favor of black people getting reparations. now concerning the Jews, they own the government, like i said in my earlier post, if a nazi, is found in america, guess where he is going? so my question to you sir; is that not a form of reparation? i don't usually accept another mans accolades about my eyes, but they are brown and thank you for mentioning that. lol (no homo) question are you a white man?

80. Nolan Sims says:

Being placed on trial for a war crime is not reparations in any way. if you can prove that you were directly effected by slavery ( i doubt that you are 200 years old) then reparations may be deserved, other than that grow up and earn your money like a man instead of wanting a handout!