Kobe Bryant Attacks Miami Heat For Protesting Against Trayvon Martin Murder

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant has found himself in the middle of a social media firestorm after he ruffled feathers with comments he made about the Trayvon Martin case.

During an interview for a profile of the basketball star featured in the April 4 issue of the New Yorker, Bryant had some interesting thoughts on the events surrounding the case that captured national attention. According to Colorlines, he specifically criticized LeBron James and the Miami Heat for posting a photo wearing hoodies in solidarity with the teen’s family.

“I won’t react to something just because I’m supposed to, because I’m an African-American,” he said. “That argument doesn’t make any sense to me. So we want to advance as a society and a culture, but, say, if something happens to an African-American we immediately come to his defense? Yet you want to talk about how far we’ve progressed as a society? Well, we’ve progressed as a society, then don’t jump to somebody’s defense just because they’re African-American. You sit and you listen to the facts just like you would in any other situation, right? So I won’t assert myself.”

But people weren’t happy about Bryant’s sentiments, and they took to Twitter to voice their opinions. News correspondent Roland Martin was among the many critics of the athlete’s comments:

“Remember when @JimBrownNFL32 took heat for blasting @kobebryant? Jim knew what he was talking about. Kobe is clueless about #TrayvonMartin.”

The New Yorker profile mentions the Jim Brown incident Martin referred to. In December 2013, the former NFL running back said Bryant was “somewhat confused about culture, because he was brought up in another country.”

Bryant didn’t let Brown’s comments go without a response then, and he didn’t ignore critiques this time around either. He took to Twitter to defend himself against accusations that he ignored the tragedy of Martin’s death and was ignorant about the case.

“Travon Martin was wronged THATS my opinion and thats what I believe the FACTS showed. The system did not work #myopinion #tweetURthoughts”

Source: huffingtonpost.com

12 thoughts on “Kobe Bryant Attacks Miami Heat For Protesting Against Trayvon Martin Murder

1. Andrew Miller says:

good for him. he sees past color. i thought that was the whole point of MLK Jr.? he is 100% correct.

2. Paul Driggers says:

I was a Heat fan until this.

3. Kevin Smith says:

Kobe Bryant aint nothing but a sellout. He has never been a defender of anything black. All evidence in that case pointed to murder. Kobe is lost in the sauce just like Jim Brown said. The sad thing is, it's idiots like Kobe that our black children look up to. We need real black men and women to lead our communities not puppets like Kobe and other ignorant blacks in the limelight.

4. King's Korner says:

Kobe needs to play basketball. If he was in his father's neighborhood and someone was following him he would react the same way. WOW.

5. He is Michael Jordan in this sense, Jordan never spoke out about any inequalities as it pertained to African Americans. In fact MJ never shared his opinion on anything controversial. Just sell those shoes MJ and don't rock the boat. Note to Kobe, don't say anything if you do not have anything constructive to say.

6. Truer words have never been spoken, I have been saying that for the longest!!!

7. Truer words have never been spoken, I have been saying that for the longest!!!

8. Andre Dean says:

I feel how everyone views this; I must ask when did anyone have the authority to dictate how another person should respond on certain topics? Whether we agree or disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. I think we give too much credence to these issues by keeping them in the limelight longer than they should be. Just my opinion of course.

9. Faye Davis says:

Kobe has no freaking clue which is exactly what Jim Brown was talking about! And I am glad that so many have called him out on it. Kobe likes to come across as though he is somehow above the other players, that somehow he knows more than them! On this subject he stepped into something that knows NOTHING about! The Heat players clearly saw themselves in Trayvon Martin, something Kobe clearly can not identify with!

10. Faye Davis says:

A kid is dead! The Heat players supported the young mans family! They never mentioned color! That's on Kobe!

11. Faye Davis says:

Really? You are as stupid as Kobe!!

12. Paul Driggers says:

Faye Davis Not stupid enough to get swept up into all the ignorant nonsense the gullible people fell for over Trayvon.