7 Black Leaders Who Deserve Their Own Holiday Alongside Dr. King

In parts of the world, some people who sacrificed for their countries are given national holidays respectfully. In the United States there are also Columbus Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day and Veterans Day to honor those who have in some sense dedicated their lives to America.

What about all the Black people who sacrificed their lives to fight oppression around the world? Where are their holidays? There are several Black leaders around the globe who have laid down their lives to protect Black people and should be held in high regard and given the same respect as others who have received holidays.

Below is a list of Black leaders who should be given holidays:

Toussaint Louverture

Toussaint L’OuvertureToussaint L’Ouverture was born an enslaved African in French Saint Domingue, now Haiti, in 1743. At the age of 33 he was given his freedom and later married. By all accounts he settled into a quiet life by 1791. As the leader of the Haitian Revolution, his military genius and political acumen transformed a partial society of thousands of enslaved African men, women and children into an independent state of Haiti.

Despite being a free man at the time, L’Ouverture put his life of for the Blacks in Haiti as a leader of the 1791 Boukman rebellion in the French colony of Saint Domingue. He gradually established control over the whole island and used political and military tactics to gain dominance over his rivals. Throughout his years in power, he worked to improve the economy and security of Saint Domingue. He restored the plantation system using paid labor, negotiated trade treaties with Britain and the United States, and maintained a large, well-disciplined army.

L’Ouverture’s Haitian Revolution shook the institution of slavery throughout the New World and his work led to the establishment of the first independent Black nation in the western hemisphere in 1804.

45 thoughts on “7 Black Leaders Who Deserve Their Own Holiday Alongside Dr. King

1. Shaheed Shabazz says:

I never understand how can Malcom X get more recognition than the one who taught Malcom X(The Hon. Elijah Muhammad) and put him out in front of the people to teach the people.

2. Shaheed Shabazz says:

I respect and admire these other leaders, Nana Yaa Asantewaa, Toussaint L'Ouverture, Queen NZinga Mbande and Queen Nanny but they weren't heroes here in America. This is just a smoke screen to keep us from recognizing the great leaders we have and had here in America and the solution to our(Black peoples) problems. We must stop letting the white man choose our leaders for us.

3. Kevin Smith says:

Shaheed Shabazz I'm confused so are you saying we should only recognize black leaders in America?

4. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Kevin Smith I'm talking about here where I live in this country America. I don't see no other nation celebrating leaders of other nations. It seems to me that part of our problem as black people is that we focus too much on our brothers and sisters in Africa more than we do ourselves here in America. They are in a better position than we are in. Any holidays we celebrate should be of our people here. Especially when they became or did something great for us through all what we've been through in this counrty as a people.

5. Jerry Walker says:

Shaheed Shabazz Brother,the victories in Africa are ours also.. we are all one,we are being persecuted Globally. You understand that certain sisters and brothers aren't celebrated because the ideals they represent is a threat to those in power. The fear of those ideals awakening the masses can't be tolerated so controlling our minds is the order of the day with TELEVISION! Many of us just want to be entertained by cable and don't want to pick up a book to educate themselves. We must stay united in our struggle no matter where we are in the world.

6. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Yes brother Jerry Walker Africa is ours also. But we must follow and recognize our leadership here. How can we take on the problems of our brothers and sisters in Africa when we can't even fix our own here. We sympothize but we must get our self right 1st (first law of nature self preservation) that doesn't mean we don't love Africa, we're just not in a position to help anyone right now. I believe getting our focus on leadership there is a smoke screen to keep us from seeing the leadership here. We are marching so to speak and if we look away from the leadership infront of us we lose our way and become scattered. Just look at us now.

7. Zappa Montag says:

good list. I would add Zumbi, Thomas Sankara, Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglas as possibilities. Huey too.

8. Jerry Walker says:

Indeed my brother -it is a well orchestrated attack on us psychogically all over the world not just Africa. When Japan was bombed they sent their children here to be educated in technology and returned to rebuild their homeland and now they own much of the U.S. debt. It was done it was done deliberate slow and subtle and no one was wiser. I believe a under the radar approach is best to improve our situation.. what I mean by that is by taking responsibility for educating ourselves and our children to our proud ancestry and the struggle our people continue to face. Taking measures to combat teen pregnancy and reestablish control over our families and teach our young boys and girls true man and womanhood. Not even to mention starting and supporting our own businesses.

9. Arsinoe Sat-Ra says:

I couldn't agree more. As Americans, we often find it necessary to rally for the struggles of other people's around the world based solely on a shared complexion. And, as you stated, we concern ourselves more with non-American issues more than what's happening with Black Americans. We, however, fail to realize that most of those same peoples don't share our sentiment because of the very cultural differences between us. They aren't expected, nor do they feel compelled to care about Americans, many times their feelings are the exact opposite. Yes, we are all persecuted in some way or another, but those struggles are unique to our countries and experiences. We can't force a Black American experience on those who've never had it. If they were never oppressed because of race, then they won't identify with "black". Instead they focus on their nationalities and tribes. We shouldn't be distracted from our progress here because we aren't in the best position to really unite among and help ourselves, least of all those of other nations.

10. Kevin Smith says:

Arsinoe Sat-Ra SMH, the Black American struggle isn't exclusive. There is nothing special about Black Americans struggle so stop it. The Black struggle is way bigger than just America. It rather immature for you guys to take that position. That shows that you are very naive in the area of history.

11. Shaheed Shabazz says:

We first must unite among self then unite with our brothers and sisters around the world. We also must first recognize our leaders here then give recognition to our sister and brother leaders around the world. How can our love and recognition for them be sincere if we don't love our selves first.

12. Jerry Walker says:

Agreed. We must unite here first but remain cognizant of the suffering of our family around the world.

13. Kevin Smith says:

Shaheed Shabazz We are all one brother. Our history isn't exclusive. Our history doesn't start with us coming to the Americas. Having a mindset that you are different will set us up for failure. It is tribalism. Tribalism in this day in age is a great tool to divide black people. We here in the United States are not mutually exclusive from other blacks. But all blacks across the globe have to form under the same banner. Preferably the red, the black and the green but i'm willing to compromise on that.

14. Shaheed Shabazz says:

I' am not saying to have a mind set that we are different , we are all the same.

15. Arsinoe Sat-Ra says:

Kevin Smith The Black American struggle is indeed exclusive and special, just as other struggles are unique to other nations. No other group has experienced what we have. There may be similarities, but not the same. It is what it is whether you accept that or not. Black America defines the quintessential black struggle. Until recently, most people outside of America didn't identify with being black, but as their nationality or ethnic group. Americans have always been keenly aware of our blackness in a racist, white society. I'm neither "immature" nor "naive of history", despite of your opinion.

16. Jerry Walker says:

Well said,we may have different perspectives but we share a love for unity that overwhelms our division in our approach to this problem. May our leaders overcome their differences also.

17. Jerry Walker says:

Unfortunately,there are family in other countries who share your opinion. When I was stationed in Germany I met some Africans who didn't consider me to be down with the struggle. But after I talked to them at length changed their mind.

18. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Observe the American white man, first he establish himself as a free country (America) then he goes abroad and fight for the liberation of his brothers in other nations etc.

19. Kevin Smith says:

Arsinoe Sat-Ra Where have you been? Where are these Black people who don't claim to be Black? That statement is way too broad. And no the American experience isn't exclusive. I can name several things that point to the contrary. Please give me some reasons why the U.S. experience is exclusive to any other black experience?

20. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Kevin Smith when I talk to African brothers and sisters that come here to America they don't consider us African, Especially with our former Slave Masters names but they do consider us Black people and see us the same on that level. But let me just say I was just using America as an example. All it really takes is a few of us to really get ourselves together in a separate state or territory with no strings attached to America and the skeptics and the rest will follow. And those that stay will eventually leave when they see they are not getting Freedom,Justice and Equality. Then we are better to join with our brothers around the world.If you still don't agree with the comments then that's OK, perhaps one day we will agree with each other.

21. Kevin Smith says:

Shaheed Shabazz I do agree with if we were to form and run our own progressive state or territory many Blacks will flock from all over the world. We are in agreement there. However, my experience in Africa is different from your experience with the African brothers here in the U.S. I went to Ghana, Nigeria, Mozambique, and South Africa and when I sat with brothers there, not once did they say that I wasn't Africa. And I sat with Chiefs, Businessmen, doctors, taxi drivers, government officials and regular everyday people and not once did they say i'm not African. Matter of fact, I was told welcome home on several occasions, they even threw a feast for me. Several people went out there way to not only make me comfortable but to also tell me I was African. Don't judge our brothers on the continent by the few lost brothers that are here. Remember there are lost brothers everywhere.

22. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Kevin Smith yes. I can't argue with you there because I haven't been home yet 🙂

23. Kevin Smith says:

Shaheed Shabazz It is amazing out there brother. I love it. They show you so much love. I would recommend Ghana for sure.

24. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Kevin Smith its funny you say, but on my fathers side in Jamaica it was told to us that the first slave in the family was from Ghana. I truly intend to visit, especially Ghana.

25. Arsinoe Sat-Ra says:

Kevin Smith I stated that they don't identify with the term Black, preferring to use their ethnic group or country of origin. American slavery and discrimination was the worst and most brutal of all western plights, it's cruelty and brutality is unmatched. Black Americans are the only black group who have been in a White-run nation for centuries. The blacks of the Caribbean, Latin America and South America are in predominantly black nations, so they haven't experienced first-hand the rabid racism of white supremacy. I doubt if any other blacks understand white people as well as Black Americans do, their comments and opinions about us reflect this. Our journey here has forged an identity (music style, mannerisms, etc.) which is uniquely our own, can never be duplicated and is never quite fully understood. If Black Americans wanted to flee this country, where could we go? Other blacks can come here for a better life, condemn us while standing on our necks, and leave if need be. We don't have that option so we must make the best of our situation and focus on ourselves first.

26. Sundiata Keita says:

because they killed him. and elijah muhammad learned from garvey, all that game didnt come from him.
    i mean, you cant kill like the second greatest black american man of the 20th century and then say, why didnt you give me credit for teaching him before we killed him.

27. Karol Brown says:

I Agree, Harriet Tubman would be the first Woman to have a Holiday! Well Deserved Honor. Let's start a movement to make this happen!

28. Lenise Mobley-El says:

These 7 should also be taught in our schools & on the list of the so called Black History Month!

29. Sundiata Keita Yes, you are right sister.

30. Sundiata Keita says:

Nzingha Shabaka ima boy mutherfucker. thanks for playing

31. Sundiata Keita says:

i say lets do it. lets make it happen

32. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Sundiata Keita . You are saying what the white man taught you to say. You and I both know the Gov. killed Malcom X. The FBI followed Malcom X around everywhere he went and wire tapped his phone but yet when he was killed they weren't there..hmmmm! even at the Audubon Ballroom when he was killed they had undercover cops inside. Did you know that?..Even Malcom X himself said before he died when he went to France and they wouldn't let him in France and he told one white man maybe the plane landed in Johannesburg. Then he said "All a long I thought it was the N.O.I. but this is bigger than the Nation of Islam, I know what they can do". And you can't just give Marcus Garvey the credit of The Hon. Elijah Muhammad just cause you love white people. Wheres your proof…..I'll wait! We are always quick to fight against someone who tried to help us as a people and show all the love for the race who enslaved us its a shame. ….And what do you know about Elijah Muhammad anyway other than what whites put out there in the Media for you to believe? Have you ever listen to what he had to say?

33. Shaheed Shabazz says:

A tree is judged by the fruit it bares. And how can you love the fruit but hate the tree.

34. Sundiata Keita says:

Shaheed Shabazz everything you brought up, i knew about it. and yes, i have listened to elijah muhammad before. now that i have met your standards for not being brainwashed by the white man i will tell you that these are black people themselves that said that NOI was responsible for Malcolm's death, or at least implicit. farrakhan himself said that he pumped them young kids head up to kill malcolm. but you dont bring that up. what about the black man that helped kill malcolm and later on he was drunk one night, and felt guilty and tried to run go jump off of a bridge. but you didnt bring that up.
    whats funny is you brought up all the facts except those very last two. you a part of that fake ass islam cult, aint you? and you say i love the white man for giving Garvey credit. so tell me, am i lying, was Muhammad not a Garveyite? was John Henrik Clarke lying?
    now tell me anywhere i lied. name one lie i just told you. you cant, you just gone say i didnt know something i already knew or you gone say i love the white man cause im against your hero blah blah.
    now back to the original argument, did your nation kill malcolm. yes they did.

35. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Sundiata Keita show me the comparison of Elijah Muhammads teachings and Marcus Garvey. And as far as Malcom X is concerned Show me where Elijah Muhammad had Malcom X killed NOT FARRAKHAN . The wise know the truth. But first show me where the teaching of Elijah and Marcus are the same.

36. Shaheed Shabazz says:

It's funny how you never hear white people going on and on about the N.O.I. killed Malcom X, only the so-called negroe. They seem to be the only ones who recognize that it wouldn't have benefitted Elijah Muhammad to have Malcom X killed. If you knew what he teach you would see yourself.

37. Sundiata Keita says:

Shaheed Shabazz was Muhammad not a Garveyite? or are you gonna miss that question again. an independent black nation and self reliance, Garvey and Muhammad never talked about that very same thang? you argue like a sissy man, quit playing with me.
    but you wanna act like Farrakhan never admitted to having sumn to do with Malcolm. you act like that NOI member didnt jump off that bridge out of guilt for killing Malcolm.
    im done with you man. you just an arab flunky that argues like a woman and like kissing muhammad's ass. nobody can tell you brainwashed niggas shit. first you say it was white people killed him, now i point out some shit you glossed over and now you deflected it to muhammad. you got woman tendencies, girl you can have the last word.

38. Bwire Vincent says:

Shaheed Shabazz
    "…How can we take on the problems of our brothers and sisters in Africa when we can't even fix our own here..," You need Africa more than Africa needs you, my brother.

39. Shaheed Shabazz says:

Bwire Vincent yes sir brother, thats what I said. I agree.

40. Because although Elijah M might have been an influence on Malcolm X with his teachings. Malcolm X was a grassroots founder of and activist for equality and human rights. Although he practiced the Muslim religion, he was visible to others

41. Arsinoe Sat-Ra 100 % correct…

42. Anonymous says:

Stop using the word "tribe" whereas with other groups it wouldn't be used. Asante in Ghana are numerous, upwards of 15 million in all of West Africa. If you wouldn't describe the Dutch or the Welsh as a "tribe", whom number less, don't do it for African ethnies.

43. Anonymous says:

Shaheed Shabazz

If you think our brothers and sisters in Africa are in a better position than those in America, you are grossly mistaken. Also, there is no them vs. us…we are all ONE. You probably have genes from Ghana or Angola and you should very much know about the great leaders of out ancestral lands. I'd add Askia Mohammed to that list.

Why must black americans be the only group in america that completely forgets where they come from while all the others celebrate it? Look at all thiese movies and TV shows out now about medieval and greco-roman Europe.

44. Jeanette Martin says:

Shaheed Shabazz I understand very well what you mean. I would like to take it a little farther and say we need to first properly celebrate the one holiday we have for a African American on this soil, Dr. M.L.King. We are not celebrating his holiday like it should be. We belly ached and complained about this for years, now that we have it most go to work anyway and a lot of them just sit around the house like it's Sunday. In many cities there are activities and the turn out is not like it should be. There should be parades, people should be cooking out (weather permitting), families should be getting together and doing things, like a real holiday. This man gave his life and in view of that, every church doors should be open ,like it's Sunday. I'm just saying, before we jump up asking for holidays for other people from other countries and America, let us first learn the meaning of acknowledge the one we have now and move from there.