Skin-Bleaching, African Pop Star Attacks Lupita Nyong’o On Twitter

denciaCameroonian-Nigerian pop star Dencia unleashed a vicious Twitter attack aimed at Lupita Nyong’o after the “12 Years a Slave” star revealed that she persuaded a fan not to purchase Dencia’s skin-bleaching cream.

Lupita Nyong’o was a guest speaker at the Essence Women in Hollywood Luncheon where she opened up about the importance of loving your skin complexion.

During her speech she shared her own journey toward accepting her dark skin and revealed that a fan wrote her a letter thanking her for influencing her decision not to purchase Whitenicious, Dencia’s skin-bleaching cream.

The typo- and grammatical error-filled Twitter rant captured quite a bit of attention as Dencia claimed that white companies own Nyong’o.

“Every year the Oscars use 1 black scape goat 2 fool blacks 2 support them,this is ur year,next year another black person get over urselves,” one tweet read.

Things only got worse as the tweet continued.

“& oh @Lupita_Nyongo cln’t talk abt the bleaching creams white people (Companies) make cuz the white man pays her,they own her!!,” she tweeted. “And oh while u claim she isn’t thinking of me, I’m on Her brain 4 her 2 mention me in a speech she shld have thanked u stupid fools.”

Dencia then let her critics know that she won’t be losing any money for attacking Nyong’o on social media.

“I don’t have a record deal or pple who pay me i pay every1 who works 4 me so I can tweet how I feel unlike most celebs n my money still here,” another tweet read.

Many Twitter users stepped in to defend Nyong’o against the attacks, but it’s not as if the star needs the help.

Nyong’o hasn’t responded and is instead continue to flaunt her beauty, love her gorgeous skin and shine amid the dozens of awards she has snagged this season.

As for the letter that made Dencia so angry, it was intended to be the center of a beautiful moment — not a Twitter war.

“Dear Lupita,” the letter read. “I think you’re really lucky to be this Black but yet this successful in Hollywood overnight. I was just about to buy Dencia’s Whitenicious cream to lighten my skin when you appeared on the world map and saved me.”

Nyong’o said her “heart bled a little” when she read those words and she said she hopes she can continue to encourage young women to embrace their black beauty.

48 thoughts on “Skin-Bleaching, African Pop Star Attacks Lupita Nyong’o On Twitter

1. She makes me proud. Her beauty is out of this world.

2. Deep down, beneath that fake ghostly complexion, Dencia is happy a real star mentioned her product.

3. Pianki Bankole says:

Who makes you proud? I agree with Lupita Nyong’o. I tell dark complexion women just how beautiful they are. I'm afraid of ghost my self.

4. Pianki Bankole says:

Hell why not get a real white woman? Why settle for imitators.

5. Farntella Graham says:

lol

6. Farntella Graham says:

who is this woman, dencia? she looks mixed trying to pass for white. your time is up. pure Black beauty we are finally acknowledging and all you imposters and haters are done.

7. This is very sad… I feel bad for her.

8. Y'all please don't Google the bitch!she don't need our UUS dollars! Love your skin!

9. She I'd a real black woman and those fake want to be white females can't stand it. They are the same black women who say black is beautiful and then stick another race's DNA in their heads. Can't stand
    to see a naturally dark and beautiful woman succeed while they change their appearances for little to success.

10. Lola Beanz says:

She's a brown skinned African woman that bleached her skin believing that this will make her more marketable.

11. Farntella Graham says:

oh, its on.

12. Lola Beanz says:

Farntella Graham I know, honey. She was too pretty before she got the skin bleach habit. Now, she can't even go into the sun due to the bleach damage. That stuff breaks down the melanin in your skin as well as the skin itself. Burning has to be crazy. Not to mention, her 'kitty' is still black because that stuff is toxic to put by membranes.

13. My story started as a child born to an Italian man and a Black women, so my skin is light, my struggle was to become dark, so I stayed in the sun at the pool, beach, backyard any chance I got to be dark.I see or should I saw that dark was more beautiful than a lightskin, currly head and being teased as a half breed. Today, I see the beauty of getting older, lightskin, natural curls and beautiful.

14. Lola Beanz she failed bad watch her now trying to suntan Lol

15. Farntella Graham says:

Sankara Black lol

16. She is not Nigerian. She's from Cameroon

17. Cecily M Wheeler says:

what is that ghost….if I met her at night I would think its those Nigerian movie ghosts!!! and run for cover….absolutely revolting

18. Mackenzie Monet says:

.. Dencia should go drown in that Whitenicious crap. Lupita is far from the self-hating moron that Dencia is proving herself to be. Looking like she bathed in baby powder, miss me with this nonsense lol.

19. Josephine Njuki-Brand says:

Is she for real. So why exactly did she feel the need to change her complexion. Can she leave our Lupita well alone.

20. Samantha Lauren says:

She looks absolutely f—ing terrible. (DENSE-IA)

21. So glad Lupita took the high road and did not respond to her ignorance. Lupita has class along with her beautiful blackness.

22. Rodney Wood says:

Black woman I love you. You are the Mother of this earth and the essence of what beauty really looks like in it's creation, because your creator look looked just like you. Embrace your black beautiful self, because it is what should set the true standard of what is truly beautiful upon this earth.

23. Rodney Wood says:

I love you black woman…!

24. she looks very odd
    sammy sosa odd

25. Sidney Hemphill says:

For a second I thought MJ was beefin with Lupita. But for real Dencia claims the white man owns Lupita yet you're trying to become a white woman by bleaching your skin? I think the white man owns her mind. She just doesnt like Lupita because she's bad for business.

26. Kendall Reeves says:

Wow. This woman is sad.

27. Dencia is a goat looking for stardom at all costs.Africans have always had a lot of problems due to bleaching creams like kidney related illnesses,skin cancer,etc. Why want to look like the whites when God gave you a good skin and colour. Black ladies raise your heads and walk tall.

28. Jiia Felisha says:

Lola Beanz she sure did..and i thought she was very cute with her brown skin. I just don't get the motivation behind what she did to herself

29. Jiia Felisha says:

Interesting how you had the opposite struggle growing up. Cruel people are everywhere and as people grow older, most learn to appreciate life and all that comes with it!

30. Jiia Felisha says:

Josephine Njuki-Brand the very thing she hated is what she can no longer get back…the beautiful Lupita is loved for who she is and that's got to be a hard pill to swallow for the bleacher who went through all that trouble to be noticed and still she is a nobody watching a dark queen live the life

31. Farntella Graham says:

Jiia Felisha No? lol

32. Farntella Graham says:

and mixed with white or arab genes

33. Al Jones says:

I KNOW NO ONE REMEMBERS JUDY PACE, ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMAN ….LUV YOU TOO LUPITA

34. Khary Illah says:

Who ever wants to be whiter of complexion so bad to look like that (and disgusting) has no leg to stand on.

35. Fake hair so played out that don't make you fake how you look what u put n your hair its our culture our style we got white women wearing it to but to bleach your skin is another story but plz stop using the hair thing to played out who cares how we wear our hair the beauty of being black African American woman is we can wear our hair anyway we want and I love it

36. Ms. Wandick, I stand by what I said. What part of our culture did wearing other people's DNA come from and what makes it different from the skin bleaching? Why is the beauty of being an African American woman is that she can change her skin tone another story? I, personally, am of the persuasion that black women are there most beautiful in their most natura state. My original state was towards those who are belittling Lupita's accomplishments that's she has acquired being who she is in her natural state with a dose of my personal preference thrown in.

37. I hear u but I'm talking about art now fake tits butts white woman are fake not us because of how we wear our hair braids quick weave we can do different things with our hair and it is they way of putting the black woman down u talking about hair when when woman out here killing they self trying to our natural black features like butty come on now our hair is just art our creativity lol and we can always take the fake hair out but the ? Is can u take the fake butt lips hips and what Eva else they get but they wanna be hard on us about our hair oh book fuck fake hair what about fake body parts take me I'm black I got long natural hair and I'll still put weave in my hair y because of style art and in some cases it can protect your real hair from damage so that's y I said the puuting us down on fake hair side is good cause cause most of us black woman got hella hair and still rock it like me

38. Lol! Where dId white women come from? I hope their is more to black women to try to duplicate than physical features. That's a whole other topic though. Grown ppl can do whatever they want to do, it just seems to me that to the majority of black women, they lose themselves in the whole fake hair wearing thing and consider their own hair as a curse because it won't do what other races' hair do. They are the first to say black is beautiful but quick to cover up the crowning glory of the black woman in preference of another's. My question is do black women do it because they think it looks better than theirs? I wouldn't replace my clothes with other clothes unless they were in some way better than the ones I have. I am not judgemental. I'm just kind of motive driven. Not so smart so I wonder why a lot. Hope I didn't make you feel disrespected in any kind of way. If so a apologize whole heartedly. Thanks for your honesty and candor.

39. Charlotte Lewis says:

No difference between this & white-skinned women using sun-beds or spray-tans, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

40. Charlotte Lewis says:

41. Stella Jonah says:

The ashiness is unreal, it actually looks like they threw white powder on her. Her bleaching cream has probably entered her eyes and blinded her. She needs to wake up and be educated.

42. Yared Yemane says:

White people see Africans as the lowest form of human life, so trying to look like them is nothing short of pathetic.

43. Rowe Curtain says:

You can't bleach idiocy. Once an idiot always an idiot. There is no cream for that.

44. lol white women been wearing wigs hundreds of years ago, them powdered wigs from Victorian days too… and the lead/mercury powder to whiten already white faces. FAST FORWARD .now TV got actress wearing wigs and extension for roles and modeling. Both black and white models/actress then things got weirder that skin bleaching entered the picture…now teens gonna imitate mindlessly….without benefit of historical knowledge or the meaning or implication of WHY???

45. lol white women been wearing wigs hundreds of years ago, them powdered wigs from Victorian days too… and the lead/mercury powder to whiten already white faces. FAST FORWARD .now TV got actress wearing wigs and extension for roles and modeling. Both black and white models/actress then things got weirder that skin bleaching entered the picture…now teens gonna imitate mindlessly….without benefit of historical knowledge or the meaning or implication of WHY???

46. Hugh Holmes says:

Don't worry, Michell, Italians have African genes, too…there's a reason why there are Italian surnames like LoNegro, LaNegra, Nero, Nigro, etc…..

47. Hugh Holmes says:

And remember, Hannibal went from North to South; Julius Caesar had African troops in his legions who stayed in Italy and left their seed. You're MORE than half. Fuggedaboutit. All your Dad did was go home. Goes for most Mediterraneans. Mediterraneans get sickle-cell. Ever wonder why?