michael-dunn and jordan-davis

As the prosecution rested its case in the trial of Michael Dunn, accused of murdering 17-year-old Jordan Davis at a Florida gas station in November 2012, the state presented witnesses to bolster its case that Dunn’s actions were premeditated.

In addition, though Dunn has claimed that Davis had threatened him, medical examiner Stacey Simons testified that the entry point and path of the bullet that killed Davis made it unlikely the youth was standing outside the SUV when he was shot.

Davis likely died moments after the shooting and, according to a toxicology expert, had no signs of drugs or alcohol in his body.

Last Friday the three teens who were in the SUV with Davis— Tevin Thompson, Leland Brunson and Tommie Stornes—told jurors that Davis didn’t threaten Dunn, didn’t brandish a weapon, and didn’t exit the vehicle before Dunn shot him to death during the parking-lot dispute over loud rap music.

Dunn is facing charges of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder after he fired several shots into the SUV that contained Davis and his three friends.

The altercation started when Dunn asked the group of boys to turn down their music at the gas station. Dunn alleges that a verbal altercation led to death threats and a shot gun was pointed at him.

Police who responded to the incident found no weapon inside the car.

Dunn insisted that he was afraid for his life and that’s why he shot Davis, who was sitting in the back seat of the SUV.

Stornes, now 20, said Davis and his friends had been “girl shopping” at St. Johns Town Center mall before stopping at the gas station in the Durango, which was equipped with an amplifier and two 12-inch speakers.

Thompson, 18, testified that after Dunn parked his Volkswagen Jetta close to the SUV, he said, “Turn your music down. I can’t hear myself think.”

Though Thompson turned down the volume, Davis said, “(Expletive) that. Turn the music back up.”

So Thompson did.

After the verbal exchange continued, Davis told Dunn, “(Expletive) you.”

Dunn then asked Davis, “Are you talking to me?” before reaching for a gun and firing at Davis’ door.

Brunson, 18, a backseat passenger, said he tried to pull Davis down to take cover and when he called Davis’ name and he didn’t respond, he checked his body to see if he had been shot.

“When I reached and touched him, blood appeared on my fingers,” Brunson said.

In her testimony, Rhonda Rouer, Dunn’s fiancee, said she and Dunn had been drinking at the Thanksgiving weekend wedding of Dunn’s son. She said Dunn had several rum and cokes.

When they pulled into the gas station and heard the music, Dunn told her, “I hate that thug music,” before she entered the gas station to buy wine and potato chips. She said she heard a series of popping noises, and saw Dunn put a weapon back in the glove box when she returned to the car.

After the couple left the scene of the shooting and returned to their hotel, Dunn ordered pizza and they had more rum and cokes, Rouer said.

The racially mixed jury is made up of 10 women and six men, who are being sequestered for the duration of the trial.

22 thoughts on “Prosecution Rests in Murder Trial of Michael Dunn, Accused Killer of Jordan Davis

1. Tommy Deas says:

Only in Florida,they should roast this redneck mfer!!!

2. Jacqueline McGee Smith says:

Except it's not only in Florida…It's Open Season.

3. H Steven Mead says:

Jacqueline McGee Smith , stop it's not open reason on any one. I am white and don't believe this guy at all. Lets ot turn this into something it is not. There are plenty of people being killing in this country every day and yes some black and some not. What we have in society is a few genetic fuck up and unfortunately we can't do anything about them. But as Toomy said this guy should fry because he did something horrible to another human being and now he needs to pay for that.

4. Jacqueline McGee Smith says:

H Steven Mead I'll stop when black men don't get shot after car accidents in NC, and black women don't get shot on front porches in IL. Until then- you stop.

5. H Steven Mead says:

Jacqueline McGee Smith , ok fine but what about all the other killings going on we don't hear about? Are you going to shout out for them too or just the black ones? Like I said this guy is guilty as shit but to go around making like there is some race war going on is stupid and instigating to say the least. Also are you going to stand up and say something about all the thugs running around disrespecting people are threading them? I and you know they are out there both white and black but where is the black community when that chit happens? We are all american so stand up on everything that is wrong not just something you pick and choose.

6. Jacqueline McGee Smith says:

H Steven Mead Do you know me? Or who I champion for? No- you are just reading one comment on one site and extrapolating an entire existence out of that. I say again- you stop. I NEVER will. (At least not as long as people are hunted down in this country and abroad.)

7. H Steven Mead says:

Jacqueline McGee Smith , What ? I never claimed to know you I was replying to your comment which was in my opinion not inline with reality. I never even said you need to stop on what it was you were fighting for. I was basically just stating that is more then just black people being killed and that we should focus on all of these people because they all deserve it. Now if you get I am attacking you from that well I am sorry but that was not my intent.

8. Jacqueline McGee Smith says:

H Steven Mead I honestly don't care what your intent was or is. I meant what I said about it being open season on black youth. If you honestly think I can't be outraged about that and still focus on everyone else being killed senselessly, you're wrong. If you're just trying to get me to care less about what I can see happening to my community, it won't happen. You can cry, "But everyone else…" all YOU want to, but you will not silence me. I am educated, intelligent,
    and very aware.

9. H Steven Mead says:

Jacqueline McGee Smith what ever. If you were so intelligent you wouldn't be looking for confrontation here. And that is just what your doing . Now say good bye and try and be nice to people, ALL PEOPLE

10. Patricia Foxall says:

Lock him up and throw away the key. He murdered someone in a fit of pique over music? My heart breaks for the victim's family and especially his friends who watched him die.

11. Shawn Curry says:

James Androski and I are always talking about this. Some jerk picks a fight with a stranger over music and something awful happens. Huh.

12. Shawn Curry says:

13. It life wasnt in danger. This is purely murder

14. Richard Hong says:

Jacqueline McGee Smith He's not saying "BUT everyone else…" as much as he's saying, "AND everyone else." You can focus on who you champion for, but please be aware that injustice occurs when the reasons for whatever happened are trivial and insufficient like if someone does something to another based on skin color – whatever it is it's most likely not a good enough reason. Just as skin color is not a good reason for murder, it's not a good reason for defending someone. Love, faith, trust – all more substantial than skin color – and probably why you champion whoever you choose to champion (not skin color – just another visual association).

If you think it's only open season on black youth, you're not educated, intelligent, or very aware, and the very ignorance you see in other people is actually ignorance in yourself. If you continue to mentally visualize parties of people by color, how are you going to influence anyone else, especially the people closest to you, to do any different?

15. Jacqueline McGee Smith says:

Richard Hong If you live in America and do not think it is open season on black youth, you are entitled to your opinion, but I'd advise you to check your sources. The conversation that I was having was between me and a guy that was saying exactly what you're pretending he wasn't- hence the removal of his comments. I don't need to influence the people closest to me. It's presumptuous of you to assume that that is even why I exist. The internet is rife with information. At this point everyone is free to be influenced how ever they see fit. You call it ignorance- I call it a heightened awareness of historical trends. I'm sorry if you don't see it that way, but I will not apologize for my knowledge. I educate myself. What you do is on you.

16. Jacqueline McGee Smith says:

("guy who", not "guy that")

17. Richard Hong says:

Jacqueline McGee Smith , if he removed comments, then I agree I probably missed the scope of the conversation between you and him and what I said was out of context. I apologize to you, Jacqueline. I have no problem doing that.

I guess its fair for you can call it presumptuous of me to imply that you would want the people around you to not mentally visualize groups of people by solely color, thus perpetuating a pattern of thought that, for example, associates types of crime (murder, hi-jacking, battery, etc.) with color (black-on-black crime, white-on-black crime, etc.).

I am trying to make a point about your own comments – I have not said anything that remotely implies anything about your entire existence as an individual. Sorry, if you read my comment that way.

I live on Earth. The Americas, to be more specific. North America, to be even more particular. California, to be even more precise. I can narrow down the scope of how I view the world down to just my street, and revolve my entire pattern of thinking on that level. You're right, you and I have that freedom.

If I did that though, I would be ignoring all the black people being shot outside of my neighborhood for no reason other than probably just being black and drawing an extreme reaction. I would be ignoring the fact that a rich, white, spoiled brat in Texas just ran over a bunch of people with barely any consequence. I would be ignoring that Syria has gone to shit, gays are getting their asses kicked in Russia, and the cartels in Mexico are still not fucking around. Kyiv, journalists in Egypt, North Korea…the list goes on. If I really wanted to make a comparison, open season on blacks in North America pales against open season on other Latin Americans in Central & South America, but there's not many reasons for me to make that comparison. People are getting killed over stupid shit everywhere, and I'm losing faith day by day.

Maybe I'm a naive fool, but I care about integrity of life, of the individual, don't care where (not sure why). I'm angry, and I'm sure you're outraged. Good. Keep getting outraged. Don't hurt yourself…but keep being angry – we can't sit and wait for more lives being snatched away.

Which brings me to my main, original point: In my opinion, saying, "it's open season on blacks," seems to be accepting blacks in America as inevitable victims. Yes, it conveys frustration. But it ignores the story, and more importantly, the individual who unjustly lost his young life – Jordan Davis. I know the story is practically duplicated and that Jordan Davis seems like another Trayvon Martin, Oscar Grant, etc. Don't give the media, the bigots, and the ignorant the satisfaction of throwing Jordan Davis, Trayvon Martin, Oscar Grant, etc. into one label that is the inevitable black youth victim. I don't want that label to exist. I'd rather these men be remembered as the individuals they were, as their loved ones knew them. I'm not going to pretend like I knew them, but I'm not going to ignore that they were each their own person.

That's my opinion. Take it as you will. Best wishes to you.

18. Jacqueline McGee Smith says:

Richard Hong That's well and good for you to rather feel how you feel, but these young men and women did NOT die because they were individuals, they died because they forgot that, by and large, this country, and the rest of the world for that matter, have sold the narrative of blacks as dangerous, despite the historical reality of the contrary. They died just for being black, and while, I too, would rather remember them as the individuals they were, I don't have that luxury, that privilege, if you will. When black people think that we're individuals we are gunned down by police for seeking help, by neighborhood watch for wearing hoodies, and by homeowners when we knock on their doors. After death, 'experts' rush from all corners to remind everyone that we smoked weed or drank booze, and were therefore somehow deserving of our fates. You say you won't ignore that they were each their own person. I say I can't ignore the sole thing that made them collective. That's my opinion.

19. Richard Hong says:

Jacqueline McGee Smith Good point. So I guess we're just talking about certain parts of the USA.

Respectfully, I don't see how you do not have the luxury/privilege of not remembering them as individuals – you seem to show sound ability in recalling information from the past, something that not everyone I know has the ability to do. Fuck privilege, privilege is a social construct defined by the majority of outspoken authority in a particular society. Ability is capability.

That aside…this is not a black problem. This is a white problem. You're right that all the victims shared the trait of being black, but why are you looking at the victim for answers to the violence? That's what the biased jury does…as you implied yourself when you referred to "experts." The answer for why this violence happens lies in the perpetrators, and though I can't say for sure without firsthand knowledge, I would venture that they all shared a common trait – IMO, they all don't trust black people.

Again, just as skin color is not a good reason for murder, it's not a good reason for defending someone. There are other values in play. Just seeing the color is exactly what the perpetrators, the jury, the apathetic statesmen are doing. I'm not saying they're not racist. They are, but be better than them. Some areas of the world (e.g. many parts of Nigeria) don't have the privilege of calling things racist…things simply are (again, societal construct via privileges via different statuses of people).

Can't promise that I'll respond to your next maybe last comment – so make it good 🙂

20. Jacqueline McGee Smith says:

Richard Hong It is a white problem, yet blacks pay, and have paid for the deficiency, with their lives. As a black woman watching my nieces and nephews grow in a world that has never valued people who look like them, I'm personally tired of being 'better.' I'm also tired of being told how I should feel and be with everything that is constantly going on. Why aren't you hounding white people since you claim that it is their problem? Why are you on this site- one of few sources of black news and information sharing telling me how I should feel, speak, think, or be? I'm tired of white people and their allies calling reverse racism for what is simply love of and for my people. (And don't try to claim that white people are not allowed to express self love: pride and supremacy are NOT the same things.) And yes, I say my people- because whether I like it or not, I represent them, and am judged because of them, where ever I go in the world. I am Jacqueline up until the moment that some white person out in the world calls me a 'Black Clown' at Halloween, or their "Black Friend" at a dance club, or even a "Fucking Black" when I don't want to buy their tour package. I speak from personal experience as well as collective sharing. If it's a privilege to be able to call something 'racist' when it is blatantly so- well, then I'm thankful for one of the few that I have. Just because it's a social construct doesn't mean it's not very real, and very deeply felt. Just because some people in Nigeria can't call their experiences racist, your contention is what? It's not racist? Your logic is flawed. "Things simply are" is another way to deny the historical legacy that allowed things to be that way in the first place.

21. Richard Hong says:

Jacqueline McGee Smith Are you despising this conversation? sorry if you think I'm hounding you…or if you think that my sharing of my opinions mean I'm "forcing" them upon you. I can be critical just as you can, why are you so offended? I read everything you said, you educate yourself – I never had any intention of doing anything but state my mind, and respect that your reaction may or may not be close to whatever predetermined result I expected in the deep subconsciousness of my brain. I understand tone on the internet is limited in expression – I don't really see this as us duking it out as much as just an exchange of opinions. And no, you have yet to show me you are, in my eyes, a reverse racist…Not all people who think differently assume such things (I don't even call anyone reverse racist just cause it seems to connote a strictly two way street…it's a racist hypocrite – the dynamics of how one qualifies as a racist vary but are fundamentally just associations in the mind in regards to superior/inferior power and race).

LOL why aren't I hounding white people, good one.

Sorry if you think the few minutes I spend posting on this site just to reply to you constitute an exhausting effort on my part. I think I have something worth mentioning, so even if it took a day for me to write this, I would've done it. A day to get a message a across worth mentioning ain't too bad. If you had a note-worthy message everyday, you might be beaming with wisdom.

Sorry if you think im an ignoramus if "black clown" "black friend" "fucking black" don't really faze me….bullets, wounds, and gasps for air faze me. Words express intention, but actions on I have not experienced your life, you have not experienced mine. I'm aware

For the whole social construct thing…….you might want to reread, particularly what's in the parentheses. I didn't elaborate as much as I guess I could've, but if you dispel the silly notion that I don't think social constructs are very real, you'll get what I'm trying to express I hope. It ties into the definition of racism as mental associations (conscious or subconscious to whatever degree) relating to power dynamics and race (basically replace race with anything and you have a have not/haves power struggle situation -> and therein lies my views on racism: it's more than your skin color at play, it's a power struggle expressed through rooted stereotypes. America's political system makes it difficult for any non-rich/minority to achieve the ability to represent fairly, but that's not an excuse, it's a reason – one that should change.

I'm certainly not a "oh thing's simply are, so they shall be" type of person.

"Better" is relative, it's not fixed. Sorry you're tired of being "better." You know this shit ain't gonna change in a day, look at the historical trends. It didn't start with black people in America, it's most likely not going to end with them. It's certainly not the only racial injustice going on, but it is unbelievably especially with the standards given to non-white people in America. And though the trend of America's demographics does not see white people as a majority the injustice remains as long as there is imbalance of power tied to privilege and color remains in our minds as a representation of our ethos.

People choose their reaction to their external stimuli – to what degree they fight for their principles is their call. Sorry if you took offense I suggested you be better, it's advice I personally think I should try and live by everyday, and I suggest it to others.

I'm sorry you haven't found anyone not black to not value your nieces and nephews because of their skin color. If I met any of them, I may not like them, but it certainly wouldn't have to do with skin color. You might not trust me on that, and that's okay. It seems as if you think I'm trying to distance the issues at hand. Nope, I'm trying to widen to scope. And yes, that means developmental psychology, linguistics, the whole she-bang. Because frankly, I haven't heard of a game plan yet, have you?