16 Racially Ambiguous People Who Successfully Pass For Black

Ironically racially ambiguous people often gain an advantage in a “non-racial” society because they are able to appeal to several racial groups.  While some of the people listed below have openly discussed their heritage and even chose a side to affiliate with, others have not. Despite their preference the Black community in different parts of the world has embraced them all as being Black racially or culturally.

pass colin 1

Colin Kaepernick

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was adopted by a white family and grew up in California after his white birth mother gave him up for adoption. Many sports writers including Jason McIntyre of thebiglead.com have hailed Kaepernick as one the quarterbacks who’s helping the NFL enter the “golden age of Black quarterbacks.”

The young quarterback also pledged to the predominately African-American fraternity’s Kappa Alpha Psi. Kaepernick’s father is African-American.

pass chin

Tessanne Chin

Tessanne Chin recently stole the heart of American viewers when she won top prize on NBC’s “The Voice”. Chin is a popular singer in her native country of Jamaica where she has collaborated with legendary artists like Shaggy and Third World. Chin’s father is of mixed Chinese and Cherokee American ethnicity while her mother is of mixed Black (Jamaican) and white (English) ethnicity.

148 thoughts on “16 Racially Ambiguous People Who Successfully Pass For Black

1. Chris Sava says:

M.I.A. is no-way an AFRICAN, being that I'm Bristish it's obvious to me that she is a southern Indian, also, black what? black who?

2. Stephanie Griffin says:

Anyone with a Black Blood Line is Black – Pass for Black (what does that mean)..

3. Teri Williams says:

Pass for black? This is why black people have such a problem advancing. So quick to hate on our own race because some of us aren't black enough. How does someone who has a black patent pass for black? This is stupid

4. Patrick Tyrone Hightower says:

Funny how NON black people all of a sudden have an opinion on who is black and who is not!

5. Dime Wars says:

M.I.A is accepted as being Black culturally Chris Sava – Read the article before you comment.

6. Taiyon Demyers says:

I think it all goes back to the one drop rule that was made up during slavery.

7. So what…who cares…I mean in America, we have the "one drop" rule.
    Besides some people will accept them, and some people won't.

8. Frances Carranza says:

Sincerely from all the mixed people in the world: "Leave us the Fuck Alone!" Seriously it's getting crazy out there! CHILL OUT!

9. I don't understand this, mixed folks with a first generation black ancestor are black, by definition they are black, no matter if they are 50/50, but in the case of Bruno Mars or MIA they are not black, I wonder how many blacks can pass for white or asian. LOL

10. predominate…thats what the argument is..lets me real..these ppl look latin, island, everything but predominately black. I’m 1/8 native american, but u can’t tell, unless you study things like that..we are saying why put multi racial ppl in the place of black ppl…cause if i see vin diesel play shaka zulu…u know what the black ppl mean…only time dark skins gets in is when someone needs to be made a fool out of…watch commercials closer

11. Will Baker II says:

Read your Bible history JUAN the tribe of Ephraim the son of JOSEPH in the case of Bruno Mars or MIA they are black, get educated all the tribes came from the ORIGINAL man..

12. Chris Sava says:

Patrick Tyrone Hightower; Who are you talking about?

13. Chris Sava says:

Your making no sense, not trying to be funny, but do you know any Indians? Also ,from what I was saying from ealier, my tougue was well placed in my cheek, can you guess the elephant in the room?

14. Chris Sava says:

15. Chris Sava says:

16. Chris Sava says:

The one drop rule was created by people who don't like ME, its a slave law…..

17. Chris Sava says:

Will Baker II What does the Bible have anything to do with WE people? I ain't from no Jew

18. Patrick Tyrone Hightower says:

I know exactly what you are talking about Dime Wars….This dude with all the "Riddle me" games?

19. Patrick Tyrone Hightower says:

i dont think its that Teri, but there is a heave attempt to slight black pride all over this country..As one author said in a article earlier, "Black culture is popular, Black people are not"…This is evident in the attitude of black pop culture today and not to mention the episodes from the likes of Miley Cirus, Bieber and on and on!! Since when was twerking a "white" icon??? We allow them to use everthing we do to make money and become popular, yet they laugh behind our backs

20. Patrick Tyrone Hightower says:

Chris Sava why are you making this article so personal , if it DOESNT apply to you?

21. Patrick Tyrone Hightower says:

Brunos father is PR which that in itself cant account for or include "blackness"

22. Patrick Tyrone Hightower says:

Chris Sava Did you seriosuly just ask that?…..nevermind!

23. I hear some people saying thing like look at her nose, eye, lips hair she must be mixed they European features wtf
    There no such thing as European features all also features come out of so-called (Africa) khemit
    How do you take a so-called black (original) make a brown, red, yellow (original) & white all the people of the plant earth now you tell me your going to take the original & the white and make a new people I don’t get that believe what you want but that don’t make it truth every time you see a original person with a different nose eye hair whatever don’t always mean there mixed but if all come from one in fact how could mix it? That taking a cup of coffee mix it with milk them pore it back in the coffee pot what’s that’s smells like coffee to me

24. I generally like this website but this has to be one of the most absurd posts ever. Is this some sort of satire? Almost every person listed here is of African descent and many folks I have met from Sri Lanka identify as Black. It is a shame that a site that proposes to have such a deep understanding of pan-Africanism and the Black Diaspora would have such an absurd article.

25. Seymour Taylor says:

Tessanne Chin does not have to pass as black. She is Jamaican and we make room forall our people in one all inclusive motto. "Out of many one people" Any one who thinks otherwise are the one who did not know about her before the Voice. They also are not aware that not all Jamaicans are Black.

26. I don't think these people are passing for black. They are black

27. Wendell Jackson says:

We are one race, the human race. Google cognitive dissonance, and Eugenics, to see the fallacy that continues. Peace, always.

28. Chris Sava… And in America it still applies, but aren't you in the UK?

29. Will Baker II Honestly your answer would be useless if I was atheist, I think this has nothing to do with religion

30. Patrick Tyrone Hightower one thing is to having a distant black ancestor (as the case of many puerto ricans), and other one is having a black parent, I don't buy that "one drop"rule, if your parents are black or at least one of them is black, you're black, but if your great great grandfather or another distant ancestor was black the definition of your "blackness" is just virtual. Angelina Jolie and Bruce Willis have native american ancestors, but, can they pass for native americans? I don't think so, for me, racial categories are more objective

31. Chris Sava says:

Patrick Tyrone Hightower Are you looking at the face of one of my heroes;SAMMO HUNG?!?

32. Chris Sava says:

33. Chris Sava says:

Patrick Tyrone Hightower I'll solve the riddle, Black is a colour, it has nothing to do with your race. This artical is a bit strange to me because some of the people are not of African desent. As for M.I.A. yes, their are some South Indians that know the truth, but the artical says, people who can pass as black?! Being black is being of AFRICAN desent, like me…… Oh yeah my Grandfather on my dads side is from India, and my Gran is a is Afro-Bajian so yes, I can relate.

34. Chris Sava says:

Real talk true talk, I'm STILL waiting for Vin Diesel to do the Hannibal Barca, one of the greatest generals in history, that Shaka Zulu comment made me smile.

35. Patrick Tyrone Hightower says:

Chris Sava There are many American Indians who share common physical traits with african descended peoplee..but just by looking at her, one should NOT be able to assume she is not of african descent, it is for the people who have common knowledge of the Indian population to be able to know and discern as yourself 🙂

36. Chris Sava says:

Patrick Tyrone Hightower; American Indians…? I think wires have crossed somewhere. I am not assuming anything, I knew about M.I.A. before she became famous in America, from what I can remember, certain elements of the press tried to throw dirt on her because, her father is a Tamil Tiger. Maybe you should do some research on her father, he must of been a brave man.

37. Teri Williams says:

Patrick but all but two of these people actually have a black heritage. There isn't one person who looks like miley cyrus or justin bieber in this trash.
    So what this article says is if you're not 100 percent black then you're not good enough to be claimed or present your self as black. That's ignorant. How can we expect other races to treat us any differently than we treat our own.

38. Chris Sava when we hear hannibal had dark skin…white ppl…vin diesel is light skinned…please put the proper tones on the proper people you are portraying…we have caught on to white washing…got egyptians looking light skin and white…no…look at those hieroglyphs…dark dark skin..ebony

39. Chris Sava when we hear hannibal had dark skin…white ppl…vin diesel is light skinned…please put the proper tones on the proper people you are portraying…we have caught on to white washing…got egyptians looking light skin and white…no…look at those hieroglyphs…dark dark skin..ebony

40. Patricia King says:

The original man came from Africa – so everybody black or white is an African or has DNA that goes back to Africa so call it what you will and distance yourself from this scientific truth you will but it will be at your peril. Google where civilization began and you'll see that all this hybrid – passing as black shit is ridiculous most white American have one drop of black blood so they need to stop using "white" maybe the term should be our lighter brothers = lol!

41. Patrick Bowers says:

That way of thinking is completely untrue. Anyone that is part black is not completely black. Yes, you have it in your bloodline, but to say that they are black all together is false.

42. Chris Sava says:

Jared Abdullah Garrison Whats good mate, I've seen only one drawn picture of Hannibal, with darker skin, every other TV documentry, statues and other depictions have made him out to be anything but African. If the Romans didn'nt wipe Carthage from the face of the earth, what is called Tunisia, would have some very interesting history to be discovered, but as per-usual, the white washing of history means I won't be knowing anytime soon. My reasons for mentioning Vin is, at that time, alot of mullatoisation took place in North Africa, Vin would offer a balance. A few years ago, he was supposed to play the role, and said he could do it for 50million… Huh?! thats chump change, 150mills is a nice number. If you have any info on Hannibal that I could learn, it would be a blessing. One Love Bruv.

43. Chris Sava says:

44. Caressa Joella says:

We J'cans don't see race or colour. As our motto says "out of many one people" Tess and Sean are Jamaicans that's it! Period.

45. Patrick Bowers Well if that's the case there isn't a black person( especially a descendant of a slave!) on the planet.

46. Chris Sava my friend gave me a book called "pride of carthage”. it may be fictional, but i don’t know. i do know you can research military strategies, and Hannibal’s name always comes up. only thing i can pass is, i remember him being the most feared of his time. used small armies to kill larger armies. used a lot of flanking and swarming. one thing sticks out is how he wanted to take his elephants to the other side of a mountain into battle..(common for him to use odd strategies that worked)…he and his people poured some sort of acid on the stones, and they basically melted the mountain away, making it easy and faster for him to transport his beasts onto the front lines.

47. Jason Czech says:

Chris Sava, Just curious, what qualifies someone as being "of African descent"?

48. Jason Czech says:

Chris Sava, Just curious, what qualifies someone as being "of African descent"?

49. Crichelle Dellafosse- Bell says:

I just always think it is sad that blacks are the only race that feel the need to break their ethnicity down completely. I am 2 percent native american 10 percent Jewish blah blah blah. Very small minds

50. Chris Sava says:

Jason Czech Micheal Jackson…. I'm just kidding, personally the way I learned about other races and cultures was to read and talk to people, it's something I've done since I was a little boy. Over time, my brain stored some knowledge. I am not Mr perfect but you question you asked is really…. strange?!

51. Chris Sava says:

Jason Czech How come you don't understand were I'm coming from? You seem to be blurring lines. Obama is half-caste like my dad, and more importantly, his dad is an African, a true African. I love knowing about different types of people, and also, everyone has someting offer.

52. Zuri Moja says:

Well at least she has a light complexión, never have to hear about her bleaching her skin. Smh they need to learn to lovr their self, skin color and all in Jamica. Now this about "black enough" damn the black race continiues to be conditioned.

53. Jason Czech says:

Chris Sava, I'm not trying to argue, at least not in a negative way. I'm just saying go back enough generations and every person on earth has African ancestry. I guess the question is, are 'black' and 'african' the same thing? …depends on who you talk to, I guess. Certainly many south asians would qualify as 'black' if skin-tone is the only basis for judgement.

54. woo-hoo….look at me……damn…a whole lotta nuthin conversation….peeps get a life…

55. Chris Sava says:

Jason Czech I'm not trying to argue too…

56. I live in New Orleans which has a very interesting ethnic mix. I've into people here who are Black but so light skinned they could pass for White. I am personally biracial … Cherokee and White, and have recently discovered a possible Black ancestor about four generations back. Still trying to confirm this but this whole question is an interesting one. I accept ALL of my ancestry equally.

57. I heard the same thing … I asked my pastor (who is Black) about this. Also during segregation you didn't have to have very much Black in there to be considered a Black person for the purposes of those laws. I think he said 1/10 percent ??

58. Patrick Tyrone Hightower says:

This post is serving only ONE purpose and that is to seperate and divide!

59. Rick Adams says:

There is only one race, the human race. We are all related. Black is a Pan African or world wide community defined by color, culture and consciousness. Color is the least important factor.

60. Qwayne Rose says:

Bruns Michelle I agree completely with Patrick. This happens a lot in America. For example Obama. He is not Black solely, he is Mixed race. Yet he is only recognized as black/ African American. People need to start acknowledge multiracial people correctly and stop ignoring half or part of their heritage.

61. Qwayne Rose I see him as biracial but that is how he chooses to identify. I know black Americans with two AA parents that are more 'mixed' than he is. That being said, let multiracial people identify how they want to. If they say they are black, who are you to tell them they're not.

62. Qwayne Rose says:

Bruns Michelle That is because of how American society has conditioned people to think that way because of silly ideas like the one drop policy from way back when.

63. Jessica Newlife Samuels says:

hey Dime I saw you in this viddeo, search ur name and skip to 1:54. Lolol–> www .TapsVid. com

64. Cassandra Ciardi says:

Patrick Tyrone Hightower you know that profile isn't a picture of "chris sava" right?

65. I completely understand what you mean. As it relates to the comments posted below that would mean that there are no "blacks" in Jamaica. We are all of a mixed heritage and we do not let this bother us. Why should you?

66. Braun Shuga says:

1.) twerking… should be done away with and I hate that it is part of the "black" culture and before anyone compares it with any type of African dance… there is NO comparison. Twerking is repulsive, overtly sexual, animalistic and classless. Traditional African dances are not. It is basically "air humpin" (trying to keep it clean) 2.)Mixed race people are just that mixed and should not be claimed as black. Why would one want to totally deny one parent over the other 3,) most of these mixed folk that black ppl always want to claim, once they get to a certain celebrity status have either suppressed or white washed the "black" part of their lineage anyway. 4.) yes, we are all human but black folk REALLY need to stop trying to claim everybody with a hint of color.

67. Further proof that people do not understand the words they use, i.e. black and white do not describe humans unless they are property/objects.. Hispanic, Negro, American Indian, etc. are all made up terms used to divide people…the names are fake and all arguments made from them about any group is laughable.

68. TA Green says:

The problem is young-one… Black hybrids straddle the fence and OFTEN side AGAINST Black interest. You can often find them on the dominant side of the race issue. Black hybrids don't want to be Black…. I say let them go….

69. Ben Gadsden says:

I think you guys need to consider how half and even a quarter black people were treated not to long ago in this country. Having black blood was seen as stain,defect,damage to a bloodline. Back in the civil rights era and before that these people with only "partial blood lines" were treated just as harsh. The fact of the matter is if you're not born and bred in AFRICA no black person is 100% black in fact you will be hard pressed to find any black person from the Western world with more than 80% black blood with most falling in the 70% range. Also please consider just how STRONG and DOMINANT a black gene can be…For instance Bob Marley's son Damian Marley is only technically a quarter black yet he looks like a regular light skinned black dude and some could even argue looks more black than Obama. Can you imagine these half and some quarter black people denying or trying to pass on this mixed raced notion? do you really think they will have acceptance with that?. I'm all for identifying yourself but then that opens the door for (and we all know a few) people with clear black lineage denying their history. You RARELY ever see a mixed raced person who can pass for soley being white there are a few (very few occassions) where you can but for the vast majority you can tell right off the bat that they're black. So when you break down the numbers most African americans (70%) are actually closer to the "Mixed raced" (50%) black people than they are the full blooded Africans. Lastly we are the main ones that use the term mixed race whenever i've been around my mixed friends and white friends the white friends refer to the mixed as black usually followed by the line "They're black common look at the skin/hair/nose," I'm definitely not saying that a person with 10% black blood can run around saying they black lol but the ones on this list who are actually black are 50% or better…..they just try to word play it mixing countries i.e. he/she has black, puerto rican ancestry well last i checked puerto rico is a country not a race hahaha Obama could've never run on the platform hey im mixed i work for everybody because his look simply would not have allowed it he would've looked silly as with most biracial/mixed race black folks. @qwaynerose @BrunsMichelle @PatrickBowers @StephanieGriffin

70. Matt Tullas why are you being a george zimmerman, stalking me from page to page? i bet you are assuming victim too aren’t you?

71. False the world is way bigger than the USA.

72. False the world is way bigger than the USA.

73. Allison Reid says:

Yes we are out of many one people but they aren't discussing phenotype (physical appearences), its genetics and she is black whether or not she looks it especially if her Mother is Mulattoe.
    Black comes in many shades and colours, it always had and even still is in Africa and even more so that the races interbreed further.
    What's next Bob Marley isn't Black? Micheal Manley isn't Black? Simon at TVJ isn't Black? Certain immigrants who stayed and interbreed in the Caribbean with Blacks, aren't Black now because of their skin tone? My Grandparents would not be Black then by your definition.
    She just doesn't look Black ( brown) and that's phenotype wise.

74. Allison Reid says:

No we aren't the only ones, you have never heard about individuals of other races being like oh my Grandfather was from Ireland but Mother's Grand Mother was German but was born in England…etc etc or I am from Japan but my grandparents came from Korea originally so I have Korean heritage and I have relatives there I want to visit some day.

People want to know where and what they descended from, its natural and its healthy and its helpful and can give you a sense of pride and belonging, the problem is that most Blacks tend to only mention all the other ethnicities but Black always comes last and they use the other race and ethnicity to distant themselves from The African Diaspora. Then further distant is achieved through the use of Colourism and Pigmentocracy because they are still experiencing the after effects of slavery greatly and are still abiding by standards and rules and perceptions that view our African ancestors and their ways as nothing and less than nothing.

So the problem is not the 2%, 14% or 20% whatever, its how the people perceive themselves and how they handle and process the information.

75. Some of the people on this list are not even a little Black, no one thinks they're Black and they're up here because they got a damn award that's associated with Blacks. It's like, really? Just because z Black people appreciate their work, they pass? NO! You can tell a person of color did NOT write this list.

76. Evelyn Davy says:

such ignorance all these people are mixed race their dna is black what is so special about being another race any ways we are all humans its our heart that should be looked on shade or color means nothing lot of people are still living in mental slavery how can you say some one can pas for something that they already are even the ones wid dark color lord help our self esteem

77. Farntella Graham says:

these half breeds will be put on blast if they try to replace Black people who look like me. these people look nothing like me so how in the world can you say they are Black? We will not let that happen.

78. Farntella Graham says:

wrong, just because you are half-black does not make you Black. the one drop rule needs revision.

79. Farntella Graham says:

Qwayne Rose correct. the rule which they intend to exploit to the hilt to replace Black people who look like me. throw that damn rule out with the rest of their white supremist ideology.

80. Farntella Graham says:

TA Green they want to be Black when it benefits them. we should be more careful with our dna. we get nothing from white people. they get everything when they have our dna in them: skills them would never have otherwise.

81. Farntella Graham says:

Patrick Tyrone Hightower oh yeah. that is what they do best.

82. Farntella Graham says:

Patrick Tyrone Hightower oh yeah. that is what they do best.

83. Farntella Graham says:

leave us alone. can you do that?

84. AnJaayla Socialite says:

African ancestry is African. There are only 3 races in this world all others are ethnicities & or nationalities. I'm Ghanaian and Cuban, but I'm African at the end of the day!

85. Qwayne Rose You don't get what I'm saying. ALL AA's are mixed. If we keep dividing from each other based on what else is in us, we will become extinct! Can't you see that?? Look how many people with African lineage successfully passed for white. If they can get away with it, they will not claim to be biracial and no one expects them to. After all, why on earth would you want to be black if you don't have to, right? My multiracial child refuses to claim anything else because she is not ashamed( nor proud of the rapist blood flowing through her veins) of being black.

86. Qwayne Rose And, another thing, run into the wrong cop over here in America and explain to him how 'mixed' you are. Let's see how well that works out for you.

87. Would you ever go off on a person who says they are white when they are biracial? Or is it just people having the nerve not being ashamed of their black heritage?

88. Would you ever go off on a person who says they are white when they are biracial? Or is it just people having the nerve not being ashamed of their black heritage?

89. Farntella Graham says:

no, we cannot advance because of white supremacy, not because of any flaw in our race. You do not represent me or the way my people look. you don't look nothing like me. why you don't rally round your white side? white people are not going to allow you to replace them.

90. Farntella Graham says:

91. Farntella Graham says:

I am not related to the demon white race.

92. Farntella Graham says:

they don't see it that way. in the eyes of the white devil, Black people are undesirable and a problem.

93. Farntella Graham says:

stop it. no other people on the face of the earth act and behave like white people.

94. Farntella Graham says:

Bruns Michelle despite the burden associated with being Black in america, I pray and thank God every day that I was not born white. I would commit suicide if I had the white mentality.

95. Wendell Jackson says:

Farntella Graham, it is lack of scientific facts. No baby is born with any knowledge, if they are taught such, then they will be/act out, what they are taught. We are also taught that there is a one true imaginary god, and that we can own nature, amongst others. We experience a whole lot of murder, madness, and mayhem because of that. We can think logically, accept the truth, and live accordingly.

96. MAJORITY of Jamaicans are mixed but we all call ourselves BLACK…our motto "Out of Many,ONE People"

97. All races come from black people because black is dominant and white is recessive. Civilization started in Africa and black is beautiful.

98. Farntella Graham I'm with you. No force on this planet will ever steal my soul.

99. True, they are black people that need to know that it is okay to be black and beautiful.

100. If there is only one race the human race , then why are black people discriminated against so much and not treated fairly when it comes to employment, loans, and housing? Color is a major problem when you are black and treated unfairly just because of your skin color.

101. Jared Abdullah Garrison You are correct I have Pictures of Hannibal he was dark black and he was one of the greatest military fighters during his time. His picture is also on a beer commercial but I forgot which brand.

102. We are not like america with its racial category. Jamaican are one inspite of color. I agree with you Seymour Taylor.

103. Allison Offord if you could send me any, that’d be great. please and thank you. wish they didn’t use him on a beer though. i wonder what brand

104. Knox Mahlaba says:

why don't some of these racially ambiguous people turn down BET nominations?

105. Knox Mahlaba says:

slave mentality is so rife that they need to minimise their African roots by disecting their ethnicity! ethnicity and race are not the same thing!

106. Roquefort Merlot says:

I gotta laugh at this, and some of the statements here, Seymour you're dead right, I,d challenge anyone of you to attend one of my family get-together sand try and pick on ANYONE in that room and say he/she passes or doesn't! What foolishness!

107. I agree..it was posted on my Mixed World United Page…I lol when I read it…so ridiculous…like being mix cannot just be mixed…no matter what some ignorant people say…mixed people are mixed…and we are not going anywhere!

108. Bruno Mars is black…look at him…nothing white about him, even the way he sings and performs. White people want him to be white soooo bad, just like the Dewayne Johnson-Rock. His background is Puerto Rican and Filipino…so just shake that tree someone black will fall out.

109. Amad Patel says:

Patrick Tyrone Hightower Agreed!

110. Amad Patel says:

Keeping the black man down.

111. The title of this article is very misleading. First of all, nobody passes for Black. African culture is just mire accepting if admixture. The only person that tries to "pass" for anything but what they are is Vin Diesel, who basically runs from his Afro-Dominican ancestry. Also, Wayne "the Rock" Johnson is extremely open about his ancestry and the racism he has faced because of it. Does Dwayne Johnson sound like a name that can pass as full Samoan? M.I.A.'s lyrics are constantly about Sri Lanka. Her father was embroiled in the Tamil Tigers so how she could be passing for Black is beyond me. Y'all need to improve your research and journalism. You often have interesting topics but they are either misrepresented or full of errors. Btw, Bruno Mars has an African, since Afro-Cuban kept being mentioned you might want to learn that Afro-Boricuas (Puerto Ricans) exist too. That designation was continually left out. Nationality and ethnicity are not the same thing as race. African/Black people (with various levels of admixture) exist throughout the Americas.

112. There are some Jamaicans that are NOT black at all. We have some Indians, Whites and Chinese that have never gone outside their race. Our motto is "Out of many we are one" but that doesn't make them black, just Jamaican.

113. Mad Bull says:

Allison, what are you saying? Once a little black get in there, she is black? What about the white genes? or the Cherokee? or the Chinese? Based upon following that kind of thought process through fully, she can claim any one of these ethnicities. Why then should she only be be labelled "black". This sounds a lot like what Bob would have called "mental slavery". Its like some people think that the black genes drive out or negate all the other gene types. To me, this is foolishness. Since she looks Chinese, in Jamaica we would say she is Chinese, but she is mixed. And personally, I think that is a beautiful thing. (Yeah, I kinda mixed up too!) 🙂

114. Kiara Marie says:

Patrick Bowers : Speak what you know. Black is not an exclusive term, AT ALL. There are very few Black people, that are "just Black." But that doesn't negate their Blackness, and their Blackness doesn't negate anything else.

115. Kiara Marie says:

…It lost me at "pass for Black."
    Baby bye.

116. Farntella Graham What is the White mentality you speak of that would cause you to commit suicide if you had it? Please explain. Thank you.

117. @ Patrick Tyrone Hightower, I observed the exact same thing, separate an divide. The article has some commenting, that they are not Black even saying out of many we are one. Well if that's is the case, come to Amerikkka an see what you will be classified as! IM BLACK AN IM PROUD. The White Stain will not Tarnish my HERITAGE!

118. Caressa Joella you have been lulled into a sense of false identification! Come to AmeriKKKa an find out how you are viewed. The Whites that are in power have you Hoodwinked. Come on down to see us…..

119. Lisa Woods says:

People can't turn their backs on other races they are mixed with just because others want them to "pick a side" and identify only with black…that's why they are mixed because it's at least two or more races in their bloodline…tip for Yall we ALL are mixed there is no more pure black bloodlines… I'm black Cherokee Lumbee Indian and some white down in there somewhere… I say I'm black but let's be clear there is a mixture… Duh uhhh

120. she is…I read somewhere Japanese sounds more interesting since people are obsessed with Japan so she claims that since during a war or something like that grandmother moved to Japan real quick refuge I believe…but she's korean and black

121. Puerto Ricans can be black too…his hair sure says black and Paula Abdul is mixed with Afro-Brazilian, Brazil is the 2nd largest black country in the world after Nigeria

122. My correction her father is Syrian Jewish who grew up in a Jewish community in Brazil, her mother is Jewish from the Ukraine. I know a certain group of African Americans are obsessed with trying to claim everybody as black taking full advantage of the 1 drop rule but its really getting ridiculous. In Brazil by adding the Pardo community in there with the Black Brazilian community, that is about half of Brazil, the other half is mostly white. If a Syrian Jewish man immigrates to Brazil it does not make him Black. He would still be Syrian Jewish.

123. Tony Rayner says:

I guess the one drop law is out. All of these people would have been considered unquestionably black when I was young.

124. Okay, I know I'm late seeing this lol, but since when does being nominated for/winning a BET award mean that you're passing for black? If that's the case, the next article needs to be titled, "16 White People Who Successfully Pass For Black" lol.

125. This is what I think… about all of these kind of 'articles' that list a whole bunch of something, usu. mostly pictures. They are platforms for throwing a lot of advertisements at viewers. Of course they seem shallow, even irrational — not intended to be done well. They have the most flashing messages I have ever seen on line. And there are A LOT of these kind of things all over the internet about so many things.

126. Chris White says:

Black passing is one thing, black identifying is another. We need to stop using white people's definition of us based on that "one drop" rule to include ambiguous people. Some of these people, like Mariah, have always embraced their blackness but some others run from it. We've been too eager to accept people who are not eager to embrace us right back…that needs to stop.

127. but bottom line, when it comes to "black" achievements and acknowledgements…these are spots being given to people who pass only based off ethnic origins and not the fact that they are or arent black

128. only black when their is an achievement award or something to gain, other than that, many become all these other things

129. Tony Rayner says:

The problem being is that most black people outside of Sub Saharan Africa (and a large percent of them are mixed as well) are mixed. Like myself, you may be mixed and not necessarily "look" mixed; I am 40 percent European. With the advent of easily acquired DNA profiles it is quite easy to learn your exact racial mix. So really it boils down to cultural definitions of race instead of biological; who is white and black in one country is quite often not the same in another; thus two people with the exact same racial make-up can very easily be identified differently within the same culture based strictly on appearance.

130. Wendell Jackson it is a scientific fact that the only humans made in the image of God, are Black people. the further you are away from that color are neaderthals. we are the first human beings created in the image of God and we are not confined to africa. We exist everywhere on this earth. EVERYWHERE

131. they have the same discrimination against dark skinned jamaicans as they do every place else in this world.

132. Samuel Hill Jr. to hell with the one drop rule. it cannot apply here or anywhere else. our oppressors don't get to define who we are.

133. they are not Black. they look like you?

134. Chris Sava Black people are the first and full human beings and We are found all over the world in every culture on earth. We have left evidence for you to know and believe but the truth is hidden. many of us know it, though.

135. Adrienne D. Wimbush the white supremacist mentality. the mentality that declares white superior and Black inferior. the war-like mentality, the capitalist, exploitation of humanity. this is the white mentality I speak of.

136. all this phucking mixing: they going to make sure they rule Black people into perpetuity.

137. Why are you putting that on Black people? we call ourselves Black. it is the white man who wants to break it down into nationalities. there are only four races: Black, White, Asian and Indian and now, maybe, mixed race.

138. why are they getting nominated in the first place?

139. and who the hell do you think is responsible for all this shit?

140. PREACH! I love that you mentioned Mariah! From the gate, she said "I'm Black." After all these years, they still won't let her be Black. They can't accept that. Just like Obama is only considered Black when he makes them angry. Lol! Meanwhile, Raven Simone said she isn't Black; she's an American. Dizzy.

141. Did those 'white/Asian Jamaicans consider themselves one of y'all when they were doling out those slave ass whoopings? All the islanders, were y'all "one people" when Black people were forced to wear that metal Hannibal Lector-looking face mask to gather sugarcane? You are aware why Chinese are on those islands in the first place, yes? A lot of them, like my Grandpa, are still racist as hell toward Black people. Please do not fool yourselves. We will never be them and they will never be us. The reason the "Black percentage" is an issue is because all recessive (gene) races are easily washed out by dominant Black genes. Both of my parents are 50/50 mixes (my "Black" came from one of my father's parents) and both of my mother's parents were 50/50 also with no repeating race/ethnicity. That makes me six and I would not denounce any part of my heritage. However, I'm not under "the illusion of inclusion" either.

142. Exactly. These people are confused.