While there may be a genetic predisposition to Alzheimer’s disease, it is a primarily preventable. An unhealthy diet that is high in sugar and transfats, lack of both mental and physical exercise, and a highly stressful life is generally at the root of the problem.
Here are some of the proven ways to prevent Alzheimer’s disease naturally:
* Eat a nutritious diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. Produce that has been scientifically shown to fight Alzheimer’s are pomegranates, wild blueberries, green leafy vegetables such as broccoli and spinach, and apples.
* Eat plenty of high-quality omega-3 oils found in most seeds including hemp and flax. You can also take fish oil, but make certain it is from a good source, as many fish have mercury toxicity, which causes Alzheimer’s disease.
* Ensure that you are getting enough antioxidants. As mentioned before, eating fruit and vegetables is the best way to fight free radical damage. Chocolate, green tea, vitamin E and vitamin C are other antioxidants that may be important for defending against the disease.
* A new study from researchers at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies has found that an antioxidant nutrient in strawberries may help improve memory and protect the brain from the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
* New research from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm shows that pre-diabetes has been shown to greatly increase the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. Pre-diabetes is associated with higher blood sugar levels.
* New research shows that a person with high cholesterol, high blood pressure and who is obese is far more likely (600 percent more) to lose healthy brain function and be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease than people who maintain a healthy body weight and who eat a healthy diet. Find out more about how yoga can help these problems.
* The pigment in turmeric that gives curry spice its yellow hue may also be able to break up the “plaques” that mark the brains of Alzheimer’s diseased patients, early research suggests.
* Avoid mercury. Many fish are contaminated with mercury, so research which fish types are safe and mercury-free. Vaccinations are another cause of mercury toxicity.
* Avoid aluminum, such as in antiperspirants and aluminum cookware.
* Exercise for three to five hours per week. According to studies, people who regularly exercise are one-fourth as likely to develop the disease.
Read more: Natural News