The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is the most anticipated upcoming film of 2013, according to a poll taken by the movie ticketing service, Fandango.
Fandango surveyed more than 2,000 movie-lovers last week, asking questions about upcoming films and stars. The results were compiled into several lists and then released on Tuesday in the 2013 Hot List.
Unsurprising to loyal Hunger Games fans, the sequel Catching Fire tops the chart on most anticipated films, even stumping The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, which has a few fans disagreeing. One fan comments on the list saying, “I strongly disagree. I may be a bit prejudice but, I think “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” is going to hit number 1.” Well, LHDAWSON, time will only tell.
If you haven’t read the books, or if a friend hasn’t filled you in, here’s a quick synopsis of the Hunger Games: Catching Fire plot. Katniss Everdeen safely returns home after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games, along with newly declared love, Peeta Mellark. Since the pair are winners, they must embark on a “Victor’s Tour” throughout the districts, leaving behind their family and friends. While visiting each district, Katniss begins to sense a rebellion brewing, but the Capitol is still in complete control as President Snow begins preparation for the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell)- a competition that could change Panem forever.
Besides the most anticipated films, the Hot List categories also include biggest breakout stars, sexiest actors and actresses, most anticipated villian and most anticipated apocalyptic film.
Here are the fan picks from Fandango’s 2013 Hot List:
Most Anticipated Blockbuster:
1. “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”
2. “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”
3. “Iron Man 3”
4. “Star Trek Into Darkness”
5. “The Great Gatsby”
Biggest Male Breakout Movie Star:
1. Henry Cavill (“Man of Steel”)
2. Sam Claflin (“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”)
3. Armie Hammer (“The Lone Ranger”)
4. Jai Courtney (“A Good Day to Die Hard”)
5. Nicholas Hoult (“Jack the Giant Slayer;” “Warm Bodies”)
Biggest Female Breakout Movie Star:
1. Alice Eve (“Star Trek Into Darkness”)
2. Chloe Grace Moretz (“Carrie”)
3. Alice Englert (“Beautiful Creatures”)
4. Jurnee Smollett-Bell (“Tyler Perry’s Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor”)
5. Gabriella Wilde (“Carrie”)
Sexiest Woman in the Movies:
1. Mila Kunis (“Oz: The Great and Powerful”)
2. Jessica Alba (“Sin City: A Dame to Kill For”)
3. Halle Berry (“Movie 43”)
4. Zoe Saldana (“Star Trek Into Darkness”)
5. Jennifer Lawrence (“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”)
Sexiest Man in the Movies:
1. Channing Tatum (“G.I. Joe: Retaliation;” “White House Down”)
2. Hugh Jackman (“The Wolverine”)
3. Ryan Gosling (“Gangster Squad”)
4. Johnny Depp (“The Lone Ranger”)
5. Robert Downey, Jr. (“Iron Man 3”)
Most Anticipated Villain:
1. Ben Kingsley (“Iron Man 3”)
2. Benedict Cumberbatch (“Star Trek Into Darkness”)
3. Michael Shannon (“Man of Steel”)
4. Will Yun Lee (“The Wolverine”)
5. Christopher Eccleston (“Thor: The Dark World”)
Most Anticipated Apocalyptic Movie:
1. “World War Z”
2. “After Earth”
3. “Pacific Rim”
4. “This Is the End”
Richard Greenfield, a BTIG Forbes analyst also agrees with the list, with thoughts that Catching Fire could be the biggest film of the year. Dave Karger, Fandango chief correspondent states, “From the elegance of ‘The Great Gatsby’ to the amped up action of ‘Iron Man 3,’ 2013 will be loaded with blockbuster originals, sequels and reboots, giving moviegoers of all tastes a bounty of options at the box office this year.”
So, there you have it movie-lovers, a short, yet compiled list of the most anticipated movies of 2013. Do you agree with the order, or do you see a different movie topping the charts? Personally, I’m excited for The Great Gatsby (favorite book) and I know I can’t wait for the midnight showing of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.