McCain Criticizes Powell’s Endorsement of Obama

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has grown increasingly outspoken as Election Day draws closer, criticizing former Secretary of State Colin Powell’s support of President Barack Obama for this year’s election during a pair of media appearances during the week.

“I’m just saddened because, you know, I used to be a great admirer of Colin Powell. We were friends. I think one of the sad aspects of his career is going to the United Nations Security Council and telling them things about Iraq that were absolutely false,” McCain told Fox News Radio’s “Kilmeade & Friends” on Thursday.

“All I can say is that Gen. Powell, you disappoint us and you have harmed your legacy even further by defending what has clearly been the most feckless foreign policy in my lifetime,” he added.

On Friday, McCain continued his attacks on Powell during an interview with National Review Online, blaming Powell for America’s involvement in Iraq.

“Colin Powell, interestingly enough, said that Obama got us out of Iraq,” McCain said. “But it was Colin Powell, with his testimony before the U.N. Security Council, that got us into Iraq.”

As the Huffington Post reports, McCain was vocal in his support of U.S. intervention in Iraq, referring to the transition of the war on terror into Iraq as the “second phase” during an Oct. 18 appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman.

“If the terrorists attack us because of our plans in Iraq, isn’t that proof that Iraq and the terrorists are two faces of the same danger?” McCain asked in USA Today op-ed in Feb. 2003.

In the years since Powell’s address to the U.N. Security Council in 2003, he has expressed regret over his role in the escalation of the war on terror. Powell also endorsed President Obama in the 2008 election over McCain.

34 thoughts on “McCain Criticizes Powell’s Endorsement of Obama

1. Mark Joseph Richardson says:

Yeah, and I used to respect McCain, until I read all about the fire on the USS Forrestal and the part he played in that, where at best he behaved like a spoiled rich kid, leaving his burned and injured comrades behind–and at worst he may have been responsible for the whole damn affair!

2. Jeffrey Huffman says:

The Secretary of State does nothing without consent of the President, John.

3. Colin Powell on assignment of then president Bush spoke at the UN. Funny how a standing US senator does not understand the chain of command. Well now this brings me to another point. Could this lack of understanding be the reason Mr. McCain never made it to the white house? Futher why he made such a poor choice for a running mate! oops that slipped out.

4. Harry Gates says:

Mc Cain has no business criticizing Powell. I did lose respect for both. Both are liars, period!

5. Harry Gates says:

All of them are liars , period!! They now nothing about telling the truth.

6. Dave Ligon says:

Another Republican who will say anything to damage the President's reelection. Colonel Wilkerson's comments about racism in the Republican party permeate this campaign.

7. Anonymous says:

I think McCain may be suffering from the same problem that his former hero Ronald Reagan suffered from. That said, I used to have a great deal of respect for Senator McCain. I wished we had left it there.

8. Anonymous says:

This from the guy who picked Sarah "OMG I can see Russia from my office" Palin. Shut-up, John…and stand next to your wife!

9. Peggy Holley says:

I totaly agree Retire old man you threw away ant respect that americans had for you

10. Peggy Holley says:

John McCain sold his soul for a chance to become pres He threw away any respect he had earned as a war hero He is proving right now that he is just a cranky senile old man

11. Colin Powell is one of the great men who was ever in office and to have Sen. McClain slam him because he voting for Pres. Obama just goes to show you that the Republican Party are still living in the past and anti-black, hispanic, etc.

12. Anise Upshaw says:

As I remember it, Colin Powell advocated for inspectors to be given time to find out if Hussein still had weapons of mass destruction. Bush and Cheney were the ones who ordered Powell to appear in front of the UN council with inaccurate information. McCain voted for the war. How dare he blame Powell for Iraq? look in the mirror, Senator. You are also to blame.

13. I wish Colin Powell was running for President, I would vote for him.

14. My sentiments entirely. I saw him on the senate floor wanting to deprive Veterans and Chris Murphy took the old f—t on. I agree with peggy

15. Don Gibson says:

How sad. I used to have great respect for the Senator. For him to make such an outrageous statement is unbelievable. General Powell by no means got us into Iraq. He said what the intelligence indicated and what the Administration required, as Secretary of State. The Senator could have voted no. I am not a supporter of our President but I guess it could have been worse. McCain's Vice Presidential selection is an indication of his judgement and it had gone down hill since.

16. Dave McCann says:

Like most people of color, Colin Powell endorsed Obama because of skin color, it cannot be denied that somebody who's career has been a moderate Republican would vote for a liberal Democrat. The difference THIS time is that many white, moderate Democrats see what a mess Obama has made and will be changing their votes. It'll be nice to have an adult like President Romney running the show instead of the children that are there now!

17. Dave McCann says:

yeah, much worse pick than that moron Biden. Guess Colin Powell likes how the morons have handled Benghazi, that was an "optimal" outcome wasn't it?

18. Dave McCann says:

Colin Powell is also on record as being critical of Obamat in 2009 for increasing the size of the federal government and the size of the federal budget deficit, also in Sept 2010, he criticized the Obama administration for not focusing "like a razor blade" on the economy and job creation, yet with both issues even worse, he endorses him. Skin color over policy?

19. Why is Senator McCain so angry. He wants revenge.

20. Why is Senator McCain so angry?

21. bullshit, it's about fiscal policy or lack thereof and it's turning towards the brave men who died in Benghazi and this turd Obama and his lies….. Racism ain't got nothing to do with this. Thats what you libtards always try to divert to is Race… because the Prez can't stand on his frikkin record And Powell should be frikkin outraged about Benghazi not letting Obama get away with this crap just like the Mainstream Media and apparently a few of you folks also.

22. Ok lets see 4 lives lost in Benghazi, do you know the number lost on US soil under Bush, and you have the nerve to be so upset over President Obama's lack of knowlege of an event happening 12000 miles away. Really. You say Obama should have known, wellllllllllllll seems like someone should have known about 911. But lets just forget about that and focus on Benghazi. Also why not try strapping on a pair of army issue and get yourself some then speak on it.

23. It's funny how mccain claims that Powell was a friend when Powell went with the plan but when Powell started thinking on his own, now mcain is disappointed. Who the hell does mccain think he is…I guess Powell is supposed to cry a river now that he doesn't meet mcains approval.

24. @ Dave McCann ppl are not voting for Obama because of color but it sounds like you and plenty of other ppl are NOT voting for Obama because of color. As many lies that romney has been caught in and the only "defense" you can offer is Benghazi? I doubt you even give a damn about Benghzi what about the cover up on the first 911 Were more than 4 lives were lost. NOT that those 4 lives are less important, but they pretty much volunteered for that duty,on the first 911, those ppl were just minding thei business. Get seriuos and circulating all of that hot air and lies!!!!

25. McCann, you choose to ASSume that Powell supports Obama because of color. Powell provided well-thought out rationale for his decision to support Obama. McCain is just a bitter, cranky, constipated wannabe, never-was. I had more respect for him when was a true maverick. When he decided it was a good idea to drink the koolaid so MAYBE he would have a chance to become president, he happily drank it. Whom did he choose for a VP running mate? "I can see Russia from my house." Those that live in glass houses…you know the rest. You & your ilk should be consistent & if you want war so much, back up your talk, strap on YOUR weapons & put YOUR lives on the line!

26. Desiray Ward says:

It's possible to endorse someone who you don't completely agree with, especially if you disagree with the other choice even more. Immediately jumping to to skin color is brash and fallacious.

27. Desiray Ward says:

Always skin color with you people…Is it not possible the Powell just agreed with Obama's ideology more than McCain or Romney?

28. Trent Gamble says:

you are tasteless and greedy, put a sock in it please.

29. Trent Gamble says:

David D. Nelson , look in the mirror, ask yourself what you see. Then do us all a favor SHUT Up!!!!!!

30. Trent Gamble says:

if these retards listen to the same speech, they would know. They only heard one word"Obama" endorsement and then proceeded to run with every negative or racist thought they could come up with. Dave you can choose which of the two fits you. The truth has to be boiling pretyy bad deep down inside about now. too bad.

31. Trent Gamble says:

he just shows he endorses Romney because he is white, give me a break.

32. Anonymous says:

Powell will be fence jumping again after Romney wins.

33. JD Young says:

It is quite possible that Gen. Powell endorsed the President because he would order that the country doesn't get prodded into another neocon driven war. Or maybe Powell doesn't believe that Mitt's tax plan is anything more than a sham. Or maybe Powell believes that a Romney presidency would equal a Ryan presidency which equals a tea party presidency. When Mr. Cain was running for the nomination I wonder how many repubs accused people of color of supporting the Pizza man because of his skin? Any candidate that believes in equal rights for all Americans gets my vote regardless of skin color. If I though Pres.
    Obama would start in with Iran, sign a ban on marriage equality, help overturn Roe v Wade, or ignore global warming, I would not support him