Gabby Douglas Tells Oprah Bullying Almost Drove Her from Gymnastics

Gabby Douglas Bullied – In advance of Olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas’ appearance on Oprah Winfrey’s show on OWN, the show released a clip featuring Gabby and her mother telling Oprah that the 16-year-old almost quit the sport two years ago because she was being bullied and made to feel “different.”

“She started asking to move away, she wanted the family to move at first, when she was about 11,” her mother Natalie Hawkins told Oprah while Gabby sat next to her.

Her mother revealed that when Gabby was 14, she said told her mother that if she couldn’t move away from the bullying and get a new coach, she’d rather quit the sport.

“I felt like I was bullied and isolated from the group, and they treated me not how they would treat the other teammates,” Gabby said to Oprah.

It’s ironic that Gabby talks about being bullied back home in Virginia Beach to the point where she threatened to quit, because her old coaches in Virginia Beach have been grumbling about how they should be getting more credit for her development. Apparently, the attention she got at their gym almost drove her from the sport.

Earlier this week, all eyes were on Gabby at Citi Field in New York as she threw out the first pitch in the New York Mets-Colorado Rockies game.

“I’m a little more nervous,” Douglas said before the big pitch. “Everyone just tells me to throw the ball hard, so I’m going to throw it hard.”

Douglas, who was bombarded with fans who wanted to take pictures with her at the game, also made time to speak to a group of local kids at a charity event before the game began.

“I wanted to tell my story and where I came from and my background, because it was not easy,” Douglas said, according to the New York Daily News. “I had to face a lot coming through this journey, a lot of sacrifices, difficulties, challenges, and injuries.

“I wanted everyone to know it’s still possible for anyone really. I wanted to make them know to never give up and always keep fighting, because though times may be tough, the sacrifices do pay off, so just keep pushing towards your dream and just love it at the same time and enjoy it.”

After their sit-down interview, Gabby and Oprah went to the gym. Gabby got Oprah up on the balance beam, where she showed her how to do a move called the scale.

In snippets from the interview, we also see her mother Natalie Hawkins addressing the bizarre controversy that erupted on the Internet over the state of the girl’s hair during the Olympics.

Douglas’ Next Chapter interview with Oprah will air on OWN Sunday at 8:30 p.m.

20 thoughts on “Gabby Douglas Tells Oprah Bullying Almost Drove Her from Gymnastics

1. Norman Scribbler says:

not a lot of comments here, huh? b/c most caucasians are just that way. terrible behind closed doors yet effusive and greedy in public. I avoid caucasians if at all possible. just to much mental bs to put up with when it comes to them. I'm only being honest about what I have observed over the years from them.

2. Ramone DeCurta says:

Norman, you are correct. if they want to be racist and petty, that's the way they are going to be. Too many of them are racist but do not have the balls to admit it.

3. 'Wow…..and we're the ignorant ones….smh

4. Aaron Mathis says:

Thanks for being honest that you are a bigot and a racist!

5. Norman Scribbler says:

freedom of choice…i'm a proud American. thanks.

6. Norman Scribbler says:

yeah, you are – now go bathe

7. Marilyn Callan says:

This adorable young lady realizes her dreams and shows the world that hard work and dedication pays off and all people do is talk about her hair. Gabby, YOU ROCK!
    s

8. Norman Scribbler says:

Aaron Mathis you actually are LIVING IN YOUR MOM'S BASEMENT! YOU LOSER. GET A LIFE AND GO TO COLLEGE LIKE NORMAL MEN DO — OR JOIN THE SVC AND HONOR YOUR COUNTRY…YOU RUBE.

9. Curtis Corey says:

Seriously this is a story about a wonderful hard working young woman who overcame stupidity and bigotry. So how is it responded to with more stupidity and bigotry. Bullyilng is a horrible epodemic no matter whetter for race, sexual oriention, weight, looks or intellectual issues and this serious issue is being shrouded by a predjuduce idiot. You go Gabby 98% of us see you as a strong inspiring young woman and never even see race or care about it and anyone who does is a waste of space.

10. Brian Pace says:

So if i said i stay away from negros cause they commit crimes that would be ok?

11. Pat George says:

Poor Norman, what a biggoted comment. It's not hard to see who is such a lying two faced fool

12. Pat George says:

Norman Scribbler , moran, racist, biggot. Do you know your daddy?

13. talk about racist….Oprah only interviews blacks and people that do blacks…kim k……..promoting the tribe…

14. curtis i love you
    well said
    why cant you rule the world , think of all the peace we would have
    you rock

15. yeah but she dont

16. had their chance for what….she got fired from her own TV station….you can be around women just like her in any rib place in the south

17. i was talkin about Oprah bein fired why i am i wasting my time go away

18. Get your facts straight,she does know her father. Furthermore that's irrelevant to her accomplishment. She is a young girl who has done nothing to you however you feel the need to project negativity,so sad but typical.

19. how bright you are, raisman is a jew!!