As George Zimmerman, the admitted killer and defendant in the murder of Florida teen Trayvon Martin, landed back in jail over the weekend for alleged lies regarding his finances, there has reportedly been a spike in donations received from the public.
Zimmerman’s bond was revoked on Friday on the grounds that he and his wife had not been truthful about the amount of funding they had received for his defense. In court, Zimmerman’s wife claimed that they could not afford bail, but prosecutors revealed that an account set aside for Zimmerman’s defense fund held about $200,000 contributed by donators.
Prior to his bond being revoked, Zimmerman had been receiving almost $1,000 a day in donations. Since his return to jail on Sunday, those donations have spiked. Prosecutors accused Zimmerman and his wife of attempting to conceal the money from the court. Mark O’Mara, the head of Zimmerman’s defense team, will seek a new bond hearing and said that the couple will apologize to the judge.
“It’s not again like they were trying to hide the money or leave with the money,” Zimmerman’s lawyer, Mark O’Mara, told ABC News. “They just had it… and felt like they needed to secure themselves.”
Because Zimmerman had previously waived his right to a speedy trial, he may spend almost two full years in jail waiting for the trial to begin. The case is currently not expected to be heard in 2013.