Trending Topics

Georgia Officers Rescue 2-Year-Old Girl Who Was Lost In the Woods Overnight

Police officials saved a missing child who spent the night in Port Wentworth Georgia woods after she went missing.

Kamiyah Vicks, 2, was rescued by a team of officers who found the little girl hiding behind a bush after hearing her cry for help.

Bianca Johnson the spokesperson for the Savannah Police Department told People Magazine that the young child was on her own for at least 15 hours.

“It was extremely hot, inching toward 100 degrees on Wednesday. We were very, very concerned for her safety,” department spokesperson explained. “[Port Wentworth police] pretty much called all the neighboring jurisdictions in to help.”

A Facebook video showed the three Georgia recruits Robert Parker, Ernest Mobley and Luis Esquina who found the little girl around 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

“They came in and they formed a line … and just started walking through the woods. At that point, they were not only looking for her, but any type of clue that she might have been in that area,” said Johnson.

It took firefighters, volunteers and other search units a total of one and a half hours to find the 2-year-old.

The department spokesperson added, “They heard a cry and, when they did, they knew that it was a human cry and not an animal… They took off running and found her. She was hidden in a brush and you could see them pull her out of it.”

Camera footage displays one of the men yelling “That’s a child” as the group ran towards her and pulled her from the bush.

“She [Kamiyah Vicks] was in very good condition considering the fact that she had been in the woods alone overnight… You’ve got rattlesnakes, bugs, spiders, everything,” Johnson told the news source.

“Anyone could’ve found her, they just happened to be in the right place at the right time to hear that yell for help,” the Savannah employee added.

The child was last spotted with her mother in a stroller on Tuesday but the mother was seen without the little girl at 7 a.m. the next day. However, Port Wentworth police Major Lee Sherrod told CBS News that Vicks’ mother reported the child missing.

“It’s a 2-year-old baby, so I thank God every single day that he’s able to bless us and help us to get to where we’re at, and I thank God He was there on our side today,” Esquina told People.

The little girl suffered from minor scrapes and was taken to a nearby hospital. She’s said to be in “miraculously” good condition.

Back to top