Prosecutor Makes Extremely Idiotic Reference to Cincinnati Mom ‘Smoking Crack’ While Announcing No Charges in Gorilla Incident

The parents of the 3-year-old boy who fell into a gorilla enclosure at a zoo in Cincinnati, Ohio will not be charged. The news follows an investigation into the 450-pound animal’s death, Hamilton County, Ohio Prosecuting Attorney Joseph Deters announced today.

“None of the witnesses interviewed described the [boy’s] mother as anything but attentive to her children,” he said at a press conference today.

Deters added at the nearly 3 minute mark, “If anyone doesn’t believe a 3-year-old can scamper off very quickly, they’ve never had kids. Had [the boy’s mother] been in the bathroom smoking crack and let her kids run around in the zoo, that would be a different story. But that’s not what was happening here. She is being attentive by all witness accounts, and the 3-year-old just scampered off.”

“Very sorry about the loss of this gorilla, but nothing about this situation rises to the level of a criminal charge,” Deters continued.

Atlanta Black Star reported on the incident which occurred May 28 and was caught on video. Michelle Gregg and Deonne Dickerson faced an investigation by Cincinnati police into what caused their young son to crawl over a fence and fall into the gorilla pit. It focused strictly on “the actions of the parents/family that led up to the incident and [is] not related to the operation or safety of the Cincinnati Zoo.”

Dickerson was not present at The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden at the time of the incident. Gregg made a visit with her four children – including the 3-year-old boy – during Memorial Day weekend. Her son fell 10 to 12 feet and landed in the moat where the ape, named Harambe, dragged him through the water. In order to save the boy, zoo officials had to shoot and kill the 17-year-old endangered animal in the head.

Facebook Deonne Dickerson and Michelle Gregg

Facebook Deonne Dickerson and Michelle Gregg

The actions drew criticism from social media, something Deters condemned. He believes the zookeepers did the right thing since “there was nothing that the mother could have done” in the situation.

“A gorilla is a wild animal and, by definition, dangerous, and unpredictable,” Deters says in a statement. He said four witnesses told police Gregg was attentive to her children.

“I just think we’re lucky that the zoo did what they had to do,” he said.

After the incident, ABC News reports the boy was taken to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and treated for minor injuries.

“I don’t know how he wasn’t hurt,” Deters said.

The boy’s family said in a statement they are “very pleased with this decision. This is one more step in allowing us to put this tragic episode behind us and return to our normal family life. We extend thanks to all of those who have been praying for us and who have supported us through this trying ordeal.”

Back to top