PORT OF SPAIN—Trinidad and Tobago received a formal extradition request from the United States on Thursday for former FIFA Vice-President Jack Warner.
“I have received a formal request for the extradition of Mr. Jack Warner,” Garvin Nicholas, Attorney General of the Caribbean country, told the press.
Nicholas said he would examine the documents and decide whether to proceed with the request but declined to provide a timeframe in which he might make such a decision.
“I will not put a timeframe on my consideration as the documents are very significant and require due deliberation,” he said.
The Attorney General had previously hired a team of private lawyers to represent the U.S. interest in this case, according to the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian.
Warner, along with 13 other defendants, has been charged by the U.S. Department of Justice with fraud, money laundering and corruption activities in his time at the top of international soccer.
In May, Warner was arrested on these charges in Trinidad and Tobago and was released on bail after spending one night in jail.
Former FIFA Vice-President Warner, 72, is also the leader of the Independent Liberal Party of Trinidad and Tobago and served as MP for Chaguanas West until he resigned his seat in 2013.
Read more at news.xinhuanet.com