8 Things You Need to Know About the Mistreatment of Black People in Spain

Spanish Guardia Civil watch as would be immigrants from Africa sit atop a wire-meche fence after scrambling over two other border barriers on Spain's tiny north African territory of Melilla on August 13, 2014.  Some 600 people tried to scale the triple-layer six-metre-high (20-foot) razor-wire barrier that separates Morocco from Melilla in a pre-dawn assault today, said Irene Flores, spokeswoman for the Spanish government in Melilla. More than 60 of them had perched on the top of the border fence, she told AFP. AFP PHOTO / JOSE COLONJOSE COLON/AFP/Getty Images ** OUTS - ELSENT, FPG - OUTS * NM, PH, VA if sourced by CT, LA or MoD **

JOSE COLON/AFP/Getty Images

Spain built a barrier to keep Black people out.

According to a 2014 article published by The New York Times, “ten years ago Spain spent more than 30 million euros building up the barriers around Melilla and Ceuta, its two enclaves surrounded by Morocco on the northern coast of Africa, which offer the only land borders between the promise of Europe and the despair of Africa.” In fact, as citizens of Africa try to migrate to the European country, Spanish military police violently bring their efforts to an end. One victim, Abbdol Cisse, told The New York Times, “They had metal bars, and they hit our legs while we were climbing.” Moreover, patrolled barriers on the country’s borders with Portugal and France are nonexistent.

via illumination.missouri.edu

via illumination.missouri.edu

Black people in Spain are subject to hate crimes.

Black people of Spain are often inhumanely harmed simply because of the color of their skin. While Black people account for less than 10 percent of the population in Spain, a 2015 article published by expatica.com states that racially motivated hate crimes accounted for 37 percent of last year’s criminal activity. Just last December, a Spanish man set a warehouse that inhabited African migrant workers ablaze in Barcelona. A 2014 article published on thelocal.es, claims that the man demanded that they pay rent although it was not yet the end of the month. When the 14 Africans were unable to do so, the 24-year-old man returned with five individuals and proceeded to set the warehouse on fire. Upon his arrest, he “shouted racist insults and smashed the window of a police patrol car.”

18 thoughts on “8 Things You Need to Know About the Mistreatment of Black People in Spain

1. this article was very ignorant. For one they are Africans not "Black" but I understand why this term is still used so I won't dwell on it. Secondly they build fences because no countries want illegal immigrants and they are heavily criminalized because as illegal immigrant they can either do under the counter jobs or something illegal to make a living. While I highly disagree with the monkey and ape jokes Europeans make and I agree that a proper term of "Africans" should be used compared to negro/black, this article seems to be singling out and demonizing Spain when almost all European Countries have similar practices.

2. They should go to GHANA.

3. Your attempts to mix up or distort the facts would not do you any good…… Wharever your sources are, ensure you read them to the end please.

4. Aquil Hall says:

Sounds like Amerikkka!

5. I did not attempt anything I just thought it was odd that thee people are illegal immigrants and yet we should feel sorry that people indigenous to Spain don't like them.

6. Too many caucasians on here posing as blacks, then making asinine commentary to make us look as stupid as possible.

7. Yatta Aset says:

You're black ass should be ashamed! What's the difference between African and Black?? Spain has always been racist! Spain has Always raped and killed, funny how our ppl were good enough For slavery but now they are a problem?! These bastards spent 30 million to keep us out but not a Dime to help us to do better??

8. God is coming and all you……….. Inhuman people will pay the price #Hell Bound.

9. Zara Chiron says:

I am extremely put off by this article.

It is highly problematic to quote me as a source of reference in such an irresponsible and inaccurate way.

Not only did you not link to my original article about the racism in Spain but completely misunderstood, misinterpreted and inaccurately relayed the points I made within my own article.

I take issue with my name being used as you put words in my mouth to suit your own narrative.
    I request that you either completely remove my name from the article or you modify the content to simply link to my own article where people can directly read the VALID points I made from my experiences while working (not studying) in Spain.

This is sloppy and irresponsible journalism, and I would have expected more from Atlanta Blackstar.

For anyone who would like a true, comprehensive and accurate account of the word "Negro" from someone who actually speaks Spanish and lived in Spain, please refer to the original article that has been dreadfully misquoted:

Atlanta Blackstar, I hope you rectify this situation as soon as possible.

10. Kaz Quashie says:

Europeans should show love to african, we taught them how to live. if the moors don't come to spain there wouldn't be light. Honour should be due to the first teahers, africans. Now your self and history europeans, no respect to nature.

11. Zara Chiron says:

I am extremely put off by this article.

Not only did you not link to my original article about the racism in Spain but also completely misunderstood, misinterpreted and inaccurately relayed the points I made within my own article.

For anyone who would like a true, comprehensive and accurate account of the word "Negro" from someone who actually speaks Spanish and has lived in Spain, please refer to the original article that has been dreadfully misquoted:

Atlanta Blackstar, I hope you rectify this situation as soon as possible.

12. what a mountain of bullshit, was some time in Spain who wrote this??

13. Pa Lew says:

Fabian Barnes How does that butter biscuit taste? Didn't know they had coons in Canada as well.

14. BLACK IS NOT A NATIONALLITY IT'S A CRAYON…..UNTILL WE GARNER A NATIONALITY THEY WILL ALWAYS TREAT US WITH DISTANE AND DISRESPECT! LWT'S RECLAIM THE OLD TERMS FOR OUR PEOPLE!!

15. Mr. Barnes, what a wonderful coon you are. David Duke would be so proud of you. I guess being a "Tom" like you has it's merits though, ie., attaining permanent employment licking your master's feet and shining his shoes, eh?

16. Spain is racist though but isn't it so ironic 20% of Spainish have African and Arab blood.

17. how is nego offensive? that means black in Spainish.