10 Signs That You May Be a White Supremacist (Who Happens to Be Black)

One of the most obvious signs of a white supremacist is an apparent belief that white people are superior to Black people. This belief in fact may be rooted in self-hatred or a sense of inferiority that bubbles just beneath the surface, but the outward manifestation is the hatred and mistreatment of Black people. Psychologists would say they are high in “social dominance orientation” (believing that some groups are superior to others). But many Black people have so deeply internalized the racism that swirls around them that they wind up treating other Black people as badly as the white supremacists do. These are the signs of membership in that group of Black self-haters:

Embracing and Propagating Eurocentrism

These Black people have so enthusiastically embraced the narratives, stories and culture of white America that they have no use for Black people and the Black community. They have thoroughly rejected most everything about their history and culture, deeming it unworthy of their time and attention. The brilliant Afro-French philosopher Frantz Fanon addressed this phenomenon in his 1952 work, “Black Skin, White Mask,” theorizing that the divided self-perception of the Black Subject who has lost his native cultural origin and embraced the culture of the Mother Country, produces an inferiority complex in the mind of the Black Subject, who then will try to appropriate and imitate the culture of the colonizer.

Group of smiling friends against white background

Treating White People Better

Psychologist Bill Cross hypothesized a cognitive developmental model of racial identity that posited that as racial identity evolves, Blacks progress through a sequence of five stages (pre-encounter, encounter, immersion-emersion, internalization and internalization-commitment). Cross suggested that Blacks begin their development at a stage called pre-encounter. This stage is characterized by dependency on white (not Black) society for definition and approval; attitudes are anti-Black and Eurocentric in nature. It is at this first stage where far too many Black people have gotten stuck, showing preference for everything white, choosing to treat white people better than Black people.

14 thoughts on “10 Signs That You May Be a White Supremacist (Who Happens to Be Black)

1. I have been saying this for ages but no one believes me! I know a lot of white supremacists that happen to be everything but white. Hell, I used to be one of them.

2. Hank Wilson says:

Black-intelligentsia, I'm sorry, but I want you to spit it out. I am not buying it…lol. just say the damn phrase-House Negro. Did that hurt? See how easy that was…know what I mean. Here is looking at you: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B33eEJZd5Qc

3. Hank Wilson says:

You can't clean it up, you just got to call it for what it is…"black-menticide," yup, that's it.

4. White people are superior!

5. Deconstructing Negroes in very first paragraph. This is a jewel " Cross suggested that Blacks begin their development at a stage called pre-encounter. This stage is characterized by dependency on white (not Black) society for definition and approval; attitudes are anti-Black and Eurocentric in nature."

6. Red Dipper says:

I disagree with the "Education" part…The most so-called Education Blacks are the most backward. They are trenched, soaked and indoctrinated with whiteness.. Those books and everything that goes with them reinforces the white man/woman perspective and history. Everything in Education, Mathematics, Medicine, Science etc are named after or by by whites. The textbooks our children use are made and written in/for Texas….TEXAS..

7. Wow I'm glad I don't suffer from any of those ills they sound painful.

8. Ahmasi Lloyd says:

the unconscious and the 'unawakened' are the subject of this piece. I once was asleep and under the spell of white supremacy in my youth. I was awakened by my sister's gift of a book entitled: AFRICA'S GIFT TO AMERICA by J. A. Rogers! That was the spark but the flame blossom when I started working at The Langston Hughes Library and Cultural Center in Corona-East Elmhurst! That converted Woolworth store became a font of Black knowledge; books I had never heard of, authors I was unaware of, critical thinking that was absent from my public education! It was a metamorphosis; I went from conscious to being Khonscious! Some of you will get it, others will not!

9. Kwamla Hesse says:

This is just shameful, misunderstood, ignorant nonsense about internalised racism which derives directly from the imposition of white supremacy nonsense in the first place!

How on earth can this author confuse internalised "Black on Black" responses to racism (white supremacy) as Black racism of Black Supremacy?

It shows a complete non-understanding of the history or analysis of white supremacy. Just to put this in prospective. All the signs of Black people treating other Black people with contempt or with little regard would need to be applied to white people for equivalence. Do we see Black supremacists doing like for like as we do with white supremacists historically? NO WE DO NOT!

This is why the comparison is just silly and nonsensical!

By all means discuss and talk about so called Black supremacy but at least provide the equivalent context. That would be the actions of Black people OVER white and any others peoples in the areas of education, culture, business, economics, science, medicine etc,, etc..

10. WC Grant says:

A Black man wrote this and only cares about the treatment of Black women and children. What about the way Black women treat Black men by devaluing their masculinity on many levels? I guess this writer didn't want to offend Black women by making this article about putting the responsibility solely on the Black male.

11. It sounds like you wanted to see "Black women devaluing black men"? This is exactly what he's talking about. Black men come out of black women. If we can be better mothers- we can have "better" men who will be fathers etc. in order to have "better" black mother's we have to look at how the "vessels" are being damaged. Trust me- it is not black women that are devaluing black masculinity- yes I'm familiar with the archetype of the "neck snapping, attitudinal black woman", esp because I am one- but this too is a product of the devaluing of black men by colonization of Africans period? Are the children you mention in your first sentence not men?

12. I don't know what a "black white supremacist" is. I know there are white supremacists, and then there are victims of racism, which included black people who mistreat other black people because they have been brain-bashed toward self-hatred. But I think the term "black white supremacist" is dangerous because it implies, then, black people consciously choose–of their own conscious volition and will (if there is such a thing within the a system of white supremacy)–to hate themselves and, thus, harm or hurt other black people.

13. My aul' man used to take me to that library when I was a little boy living in East Elmhurst.