White millennials still racist Millennials have long been praised as one of the most racially progressive generations in America’s history, but a closer look at data about the young generation’s views and overall racial bias suggests that white millennials aren’t actually as progressive as many previously thought.

Millennials are the generation that caused #CrimingWhileWhite to trend nationally on Twitter, helped elect the nation’s first Black president, caused a spike in the support of interracial relationships and organized rallies for slain unarmed Black men that generated massive and extremely diverse crowds of protesters.

It seems to paint a portrait of an accepting, loving and progressive group of young white people that have been deemed the “most tolerant generation in history” by the Chicago Tribune’s Ted Gregory.

But despite comforting media headlines that assure the nation that millennials will likely deliver a serious blow to racism once they start taking on positions of power, it seems white millennials are only willing to describe themselves as “racially tolerant”—their actual social, political and economic views and inherent racial biases don’t support their illustrious title.

While nearly all millennials agreed in a Pew study that “everyone should be treated equally, regardless of their race,” a 2012 study by a Syracuse University professor revealed that “white millennials appear to be no less prejudiced than the rest of the white population,” Al Jazeera reported.

Perhaps the biggest issue is the fact that many white millennials didn’t even consider racism to be much of a problem in America anymore, claiming that white people face just as much discrimination as Black people do.

A 2012 poll conducted by MTV revealed nearly 60 percent of white millennials believed discrimination affects white people just as much as it does people of color.

Less than 40 percent of that same group believed white people had “more opportunities than racial minority groups.”

To compare, 65 percent of Black millennials believed people of color had fewer opportunities than their white counterparts.

The MTV poll wasn’t the only study to expose the white millennials’ overly optimistic attitudes about race in America.

A 2014 Pew survey revealed more than 40 percent of white millennials said “a lot” still needed to be done to bring Martin Luther King’s dream of racial equality to fruition, while more than 50 percent of millennials of color said the same thing.

The survey also revealed that while only 13 percent of white millennials said Blacks and whites don’t get along “too well/not at all,” about 30 percent of non-white millennials had the same view.

Such studies serve as proof that the white community tends to be extremely disconnected and oblivious to the realities of racism in America and what impact it has on people of color.

But proving a group is naïve about the realities of racism is different than proving a strong racial bias exists. That’s where a study conducted by the nonprofit Project Implicit comes in.

The study used more than 2 million voluntary tests taken from 2000 to 2006 that charted implicit racial bias in the test takers.

For the most part, implicit racial bias changed very little between generations.

What did seem to change was how many people thought racism was a problem, especially after President Barack Obama’s election.

“A representative panel of Americans interviewed immediately before and after the election reveals a roughly 10 percent decline in perceptions of racial discrimination,” Nicholas A. Valentino and Ted Brader wrote in a 2011 study, according to Al Jazeera.

Unfortunately, that decline in the perception of racism seemed related to the rise in “negative opinions of blacks and heightened opposition to both affirmative action and immigration.”

Millennials are not so progressive after all

Source: Al Jazeera

The problem is that when white people believe racism is not plaguing the Black community and robbing them of a vast amount of opportunities, they are then inclined to believed that “persisting inequalities can only be explained by the personal weakness of Blacks,” researchers noted.

With a Black family in the White House, many white people falsely assumed that great progress had been made in the Black community and that it would essentially be possible for any Black individual to find great success as long as they worked hard for it.

It’s clearly a very misconstrued view of racism in America and proves that in order to truly push towards a more racially accepting and progressive country the focus needs to go beyond getting people to feel bad about being racist.

If social media movements, historical elections, socially progressive behaviors and diverse rallies are not accompanied by real changes in the perceptions of racism and the implementation of policies to combat years of oppression against people of color, then one can certainly make a strong argument against just how much progress the so-called “progressive generation” has actually made.

83 thoughts on “Studies Reveal So-Called ‘Racially Progressive’ White Millennials Are Not So Different From the Racist Generations That Came Before Them

1. Hank Wilson says:

How could any other ethnicitity sincerely expect "white millennials" to just walk away from all that "free-stuff" (benefits), you know, their inheritance. Why is it that you all thought that they didn't have any understanding as to how their ethnicity had accumulated so much wealth? Please, they knew all along!!

2. Just because black boys let white boys call them nigga and get away with it does not mean this is a post racial society look on any social media site and see all of n-word wars going on daily and this is going on between the kids.

3. Lena Tso says:

Inheritance? OMG where? ::scrambles away from demonstration::

4. Hank Wilson says:

Lena Tso: It's white wealth and privilege…so deal with it. Ain't nobody asking anyone to give up anything. The thing is this, many young "white millennials" clearly has accepted white supremacy as the way to keep their ethnicity wealth, and they're not about to follow the teachings and life style of Jesus Christ…when it come to their wealth…just saying. I think the article is saying that white millennials are willing to go only so far with this "Can't we all just get along" stuff.

5. Hank Wilson I don't think that's a fair statement. This article shows that a lot of white millenials don't know about racism and the experience of minorities in America, but that doesn't mean they are in favor of propagating it. It takes a lot to be able to see the white privilege we receive because, well, we always receive it. Until we experience something different or have a close connection with a minority's different experience, it's really difficult to deeply grasp the concept of double standards. I think people have to really understand the problem before they're willing to fight and sacrifice to combat it. I know a huge amount of white millenials that would gladly give up their privileges for the opportunity for someone else to be treated fairly, and many of them are willing to do so because of the teachings of Jesus. They have seen and understood the need, and they're willing to fight for it.

6. Lena Tso says:

Hank Wilson I don't know any of these money-crazed millennials you're talking about. I also don't know many who follow Jesus. I think I picked a good crowd. The stats in this article are really interesting, because they show that too many people our age, black white and otherwise, just don't get it yet. I think the task at hand is to inform and welcome people to the movement, not scream about whatever you think their problem is. The reality is that the same systems oppress people of color, women, the LBGT community, disabled people, poor workers, poor seniors, the homeless, and many other marginalized Americans in different ways. There are enough oppressed people to fill the streets and the legislative halls every day, but only if we stand united. Your divisive ideas do nothing for unity. I think we're coming from the same place of rage, but I ask you to choose your words. Another world is possible.

7. Lena Tso says:

8. Hank Wilson says:

Lena Tso: How about not hiding behind that which has already been posted, go ahead and post your own…stand on your words an accept feed back. I be waiting…lol

9. How could anyone born in America not know of it racist past and present. The future of America is not looking to white, I mean bright.

10. I've had the pleasure of experiencing this hypocrisy via close ties. There is an unawareness of their bias behaviors.

11. Zeke Sadiqi says:

I cannot say I am too surprised to see these statistics; to expect one generation to simply be "aware" after so many before were not is expecting a lot. Still, it is disheartening, especially considering the number that believe whites face equal discrimination. All this said, I would not doubt it if in the future these numbers fluctuate to more favorable results- many millennials are still relatively young and have not (hmm) experienced much of life yet.

12. Oh those "voluntary, self reported sampling" statistics…. Why are we still using these? I mean anecdotally they may have a general standing but you can't really expect them to be taken too seriously because of the bias involved with being willing to participate in a survey to begin with…. Then again with studies of a psychological nature its hard to really measure people's inner thoughts and prejudices perhaps we are stuck with these until we find a less flawed system.

However… yes it's already an underlying sentiment among people I know. Not enough people unpacking their invisible knapsacks, if you will… Many deny the very presence of a privilege system. Others too preoccupied with other matters. Even in the lgbt community there is a LOT of subliminal and outright racism not many know about. It just takes other forms. Some of it is due to blissful ignorance of the complexities of inequality and not a clear consensus on what is considered progress. But the good thing is that we are definitely open with critiquing mainstream culture both in ways of satire, direct ranting, and protesting where we open up conversations about things like micro-aggressions, cultural appropriation, profiling and smear campaigns of victims (some of racism's more insidious offspring). The real question is are they listening or are we talking to ourselves? I'm not sure at this point….

13. Also may I add "I don't see color" Is absolutely not progress in case anyone was wondering.

14. Hank Wilson says:

Our thoughts shared become free-info-bits, then they will forever be entangled and streaming within the World Wide Web, of potential cognitive dissenters.

15. I'm racist. By that, I mean my inherent racial biases, ingrained and regularly conditioned by society, the media, et al since childhood, still rear their ugly heads on a regular basis, no matter how forward-thinking and progressive I consider myself. As a kid, I was surprised at how my best friend "acted white." (I also took pride in being "not like other girls," while we're on the subject.) When I was in my early twenties, I locked my car door when it was dark and hooded figures walked along the sidewalk, because I lived near "the bad part of town," codified language for "the part of town that's not mostly white." I didn't want to go to the local CVS because "Mexicans" always hung around and would catcall me, but I conveniently was unbothered by white college dudes hitting on me. I still have to reprimand myself when I see a bad driver who happens to appear Southeast Asian and my first thought is "Not surprised!" Not only do I reprimand myself, but I have to actively work to change my thought process, and undo years of bad habits and negative reinforcement.

Now, I have often worked as an ESL teacher, with people from all over the world. I've taken intercultural communication courses. I feel I am almost aggressively progressive and I (ugh) have lots of black friends and friends of color. (Sorry.) But I'm still white. I still don't get it, because I've never been in a position to get it, and I never will be. Some white people, mostly musicians and American Apparel hipsters, think that these lives are things that can be tried on for fun, things that they can reap the good from without dealing with the bad. They're wrong, and obviously so. But the quieter people, the ones who "don't see color" or think we "all bleed red" or otherwise try to ignore the very real differences and problems between white culture and others, aren't doing any favors, either.

My racism doesn't make me an inherently bad person; what would make me a bad person is if I ignored it, if I let it fester, and if it solidified as a world view I passed on to others. But what I try to do is educate myself and make a pointed effort to actually be as progressive and forward-thinking as I consider myself. There are two major ways I do that: by listening to and supporting black people and people of color, and, more importantly, putting the onus on my fellow white people to look at themselves and think about their prejudices. No one likes to be called racist because people prefer to assume that the real racists wear white hoods or shoot civilians or commit hate crimes, but it's much more insidious than that. We need to stop bristling every time someone implies what we're doing is racist, and instead think about how what we're doing might actually be racist. To truly grow and progress, we white people need to regularly reflect on our perceptions and behavior, and consider how those might be perpetuating the racist society we live in. If it's not too trite, I'd like to end by paraphrasing my favorite MLKJr quote; I do not want to be a stumbling block in our stride to progress, and urge white moderates to move away from being devoted to a negative peace to a positive one, "which is the presence of justice."

16. Wow, this was long. Sorry about that!

17. Wow, this was long. Sorry about that!

18. While I agree and am not surprised by many of the statistics from these studies, I think it's BS to use a picture of white millennials who actually got out into the streets to protest injustice as allies. A more illustrative picture would have been a complacent millennial sitting in front for their macbook liking FB posts or tweeting about systemic racial inequality and injustice.

19. "We are all a part of the same hypocrisy". #seekingpositiveenergy.

20. By the numbers this article used, 64% of white millenials believe that white people receive more opportunities than black people (40% plus 24%). That's only one percent less than the black community.

21. Hank Wilson says:

You're right, it's very long; therefore you getting a (B-)…lol.

22. I appreciate your truth, honesty and understanding that you know that their is a problem still, and how it needs to be handled *clap* *clap*. I am glad that you are trying to do something about 🙂 Thank you sister.

23. Joe Sarra says:

Lena Tso were you born in Brooklyn or did you move here?

24. Very honest, Alexis.

25. Lena, where are you hiding those billions?

26. This article is all kinds of biased bull

27. You are correct however you are not racist what you are describing is prejudice racism is something different and the media is once again trying to change the meaning of words by repeated improper use to confuse you.

Prejudice: is an irrational feeling of dislike for a person or group of persons, usually based on stereotype. Virtually everyone feels some sort of prejudice, whether it's for an ethnic group, or for a religious group, or for a type of person like blondes or fat people or tall people. The important thing is they just don't like them — in short, prejudice is a feeling, a belief. You can be prejudiced, but still be a fair person if you're careful not to act on your irrational dislike.

Discrimination: takes place the moment a person acts on prejudice. This describes those moments when one individual decides not to give another individual a job because of, say, their race or their religious orientation. Or even because of their looks (there's a lot of hiring discrimination against "unattractive" women, for example). You can discriminate, individually, against any person or group, if you're in a position of power over the person you want to discriminate against. White people can discriminate against black people, and black people can discriminate against white people if, for example, one is the interviewer and the other is the person being interviewed.

Racism: however, describes patterns of discrimination that are institutionalized as "normal" throughout an entire culture. It's based on an ideological belief that one "race" is somehow better than another "race". It's not one person discriminating at this point, but a whole population operating in a social structure that actually makes it difficult for a person not to discriminate.

28. Thurmont McClure I definitely understand and agree; I think I was aiming to sort of demonstrate that white people shouldn't immediately shut down when the subject of racism comes up. It's more accurate to say we benefit from a racist system and society, but even that makes white people really defensive and hard to talk to.

29. Thurmont McClure And I'm not trying to diminish racism's seriousness, of course, just trying to make people more willing to admit that they're implicit in negative systems.

30. Алексис Бобрик You are in every way correct. We can't fix a problem people are not willing to admit exist; however this will also fail as a solution. The only real way to fix the problem as most things in this world comes from a economic and cultural shift in black communities which can only be done by blacks.

To many times do we reinforce negative stereotypes through our own behavior. We must disassociate ourselves with negativity. As well as those whom seek to profit from it. Rap music and hoodies have become synonymous with crime and ignorance through propaganda and self degenerative acts.

Until we look to fix our part in our culture we shouldn't ask for people of other races to do so. How many times have we made it uncool to be intelligent, speak proper English, strive to thrive as appose to go with the flow. To do those things you are marked by other blacks as trying to be white. (EX: you talk white).

31. Алексис Бобрик We must also practice group economics. At approximately 41 millions blacks (non hispanic) we are 13% of this nation. However we own less than 1% of the nations wealth. How can we achieve anything with those numbers. We don't own anything.

I work for a caucasian owned company at the end of the week when I'm paid for my labor I turn and give that money right back to a caucasian owned company. Life is a game of monopoly and as of now we are bankrupt and whites own everything (Due to slavery and killing off native americans). So how can we compete. We must be wise in where we spend our money and support black businesses.

If we can't do this then things will never change.

32. META lite says:

Slavs aren't white.

33. Shrey Sen says:

This is probably the sole thoughtful, interesting comment on the entire internet.

34. They aren't so different from the racist generations before them? Bull. Regardless of their oblivion or beliefs, they have still made a progress and have still gone out to make strides toward a more racially equal US. The only thing I think is biased is this article. Way more than the racist generations before them. A title like that is uncalled for & degrading toward their efforts and accomplishments. At least they are TRYING.

35. Marc Brasof says:

If we nuance equality a bit more the issue of racial inequality becomes clearer: Political not economic equality had been achieved to some extent.

36. Akram Majeed says:

Good luck with your attempt at reformation. Truth is it will never happen, especially if you are Christian, where God is a Caucasian male – a Racist and sexist concept embedded in the mind of the people from infancy. Until these white images of God are discarded, you will be in constant struggle with this God complex and the Colored people will suffer the inferiority complex. Not an easy solution but keep up the struggle.

37. We need more White Americans like you who are able to admit their implicit biases towards minorities. I appreciate your honesty.

38. Ryan Heath says:

White "protesters" raising their hands in protest of recent events shows a complete lack of understanding and awareness. It shows that they're completely ignorant of their own privilege and the movement, they are making an attempt to be an ally but ultimately demonstrating ignorance.

39. Akram Majeed Well, I'm definitely not Christian, so no worries there. Down with the kyriarchy and all that.

40. Leola Canada says:

In a poll, you can write and put anything in it, but in your heart and what you really feel is genuine, so if you choose to hate someone of another race because of the color of their skin, that is a choice, because you didn't want to know about the person's character, you just know what you have been taught!

41. Anekcnc, You are a highly emotionally evolved human being. Thank you for your rational response.

42. Ryan Heath Were white, christian, muslin, jewish people who joined Dr. MLK Jr. and black people marching in the south also "completely ignorant"? Clearly, just showing up doesn't alone absolve anyone from their privilege or learned biases, but how can you assume their "lack of understanding"?

43. C.j. Moses says:

You said you don't get it, but you get it enough. 🙂

44. Ryan Heath says:

Josh Springer The lack of understanding, and ignorance, does not come from the attempt to be an ally and marching in protest, but in demonstrating with their hands up. It shows a complete lack of awareness of the privilege we have as white individuals. You can't yell "I can't breathe" or raise your hands up shouting "Hands up don't shoot" as a white individual, the fact that people don't understand this demonstrates the problem in America that white Americans are not aware of, or ignorant of their privileges and additionally not aware of the lack of privilege and discrimination experienced by people of color. Here's one of many good writeups on the topic – http://freeqthamighty.tumblr.com/post/95573664816/on-white-people-solidarity-and-not-marching.

45. The best thing one can do is treat people the way they want to be treated. The color of ones skin has nothing to do with anything, Its the people who think they are superior to others who are the ignorant ones. They have almost taken this country down the toilet while doing all they can to keep people divided and fighting. I sure am glad people are waking up and understanding we're all in this together and what I achieve has nothing to do with you, and what you achieve has nothing to do with me. People want to be treated fairly, no one is better that then anyone. I can live where I want without someone burning a cross on my yard and you can drive anywhere you want without worrying about locking your car doors just because you're in a different part of town, by the way, your doors should be locked anyway. Criminals come in all shades, no matter where you are. My parents never taught me anything about race, I wish they had, maybe I wouldn't have been shocked when a grown old caucasian man called me the N word. Perhaps if I were taught that I was hated for the color of my skin I would have been more prepared for the subtle racism Ive experienced all my life. In my youth I didn't understand it, I wasn't aware of the hate until I became an adult. If something is right we all should stand up for it no matter what it is. No one should sit back and pretend its ok to be racist and that this mess doesn't exist, when we all know racism is alive and well. Glad some young people have been taught we're all equal and want the same things, good health, a good education and a decent job. Everything else is a bonus.

46. Ryan Heath I think we're in agreement that white people do NOT understand what it's like to be black. I also have serious problems with white people co-opting and making light of the racial justice movement. That said, I don't agree with generalizing or minimizing white people taking responsibility to show up in support of social change, and raising their hands, or saying "we shall overcome" as an act of solidarity. Even as a beneficiary of white privilege, I believe racial inequality hurts all of us, as a society and we all have a responsibility change it. I still harbor lots of ignorance and struggle everyday with learned racism and blind spots to my own privilege. Showing up at a rally doesn't mean am or anyone is absolved of that ignorance or responsibility. Does that mean we shouldn't march together with our black and white friends, neighbors and organizers? No, I still think we should.

47. Belinda Ward says:

All I know is being black in American people always say is we live off the government…we depend on the government.. we are poor educated.. we always use the race card as an excuse to not get any where in life.. We is the reason why America is the way it is..anything that goes wrong in America blame it on a black person…. Well to all you people who think this way about blacks their is a thing called brain wash… All you people need help… TO BE HONEST their is BAD APPLES in every race I have never ever meet a perfect race.. YOU PEOPLE NEED TO STOP SAY YOUR RACE IS SUPERIOR CAUSE IT'S NOT AT ALL an't no race above GOD.. You people need help for brain washing AMERICA INTO think all blacks are this way just so you can hide the real enemy over here in AMERICA…The terrorist who you people allowed over her and push us hard working Black American's aside & also give their children better Education then the Black American children who was born & raise in the U.S…To be honest we are all living off the government.When you get your pay check look at it real very good next time….

48. EuGene Welsh says:

While certain issues are absolutely racial….. other are the human experience we all feel….jobs, civil right, unworthy politicians, climate that is produced, lost of jobs for the common man, the awareness of who crappy they say foods are getting, housing….etc….. There is a common effect that all feel regardless of color……..But this article does not help anything by being written…. because it is written doesn't mean it worlthy………… more more divide……..you me them….. so there will be no room for a united front………….coming together to cause the change aLL need, regardless of color…………………yes keep the masses all separate…………inside and out.

49. EuGene Welsh says:

On one hand there are racial issues…On the other there is something called a human experience, which we all feel. We all feel the lost of jobs, the distrust of politicians to act in a positive manner, the awareness of the crappy foods be shelled out to the mass, the disregard for the environment , the lack of housing for persons making a moderate living, the rising cost for foods and general things , civil rights of liberties being dismantled…..there are many things which effect all races within certain income levels…..and these are the things which bring the masses together….This article is meaningless to me….. it does nothing besides causing more separatism…Yes tell us how different we all are and you will never come together to bring real change… more and more divisive tactics to keep people scattered so not to see we are all in many ways connected and nothing is a fight for one particular…. it is a fight to make what is wrong , right……………..Could you image articles showing what is shared , oppose to saying what is happening doesn't count…………..just a thought.

50. Jon Martin says:

Reading your response gives the starting point that I've been struggling with after being aware of such prejudge within me and a society of open racism around me.

51. Алексис Бобрик Right on "I have to actively work to change my thought process, and undo years of bad habits and negative reinforcement." I appreciate how acertive, honest, and vocal you are. Just one question, do you really feel you have to say sorry for the "long" post, becacause to me all you wrote there is screaming out that you are not sorry at all, and I celebrate that! My daughter always says white people have to work on educating their own communities so they can identify the racism in their lives and act on that to dismantel it, and you come to mind as one hell of an example to do just that. By the way thanks for the lenght of your post. 🙂

52. Is anyone here even attempting to claim racial superiority? I'm not. I don't see anyone else doing that either. That was kind of off topic, Belinda.

53. Whoops, I definitely just replied in the wrong thread, I deleted my post, but if you saw it already, disregard it, haha.

54. Lena Tso says:

I must have left the billions back in my native Ukraine. By the time they issued us those refugee visas, we just had to duck and run cause the kill-the-jews mob was coming. Sooo… who wants to hop a flight and help me dig? Oh wait, there's a civil war going on. Maybe next year. In all seriousness, the contents of this article are really important for everyone to know, but the way the information is framed is so smug and divisive that I don't know if it inspires the conversation that so badly needs to be had. I see this is a thread of mostly well informed active people. What message do you think this headline sends to the general public, regardless of race? Do you think this makes people want to educate and empower one another to be more inclusive? I think that should be the goal of any movement-related publication. This is why I'm only allowed to publish comments. :p

55. Lena Tso says:

You go ahead and wait. I'm in plain sight with my photo and my comments above.

56. Jesus Christ. I have never known in this earth a white person to articulate so fully that point to hit the nail on the head so directly.

If only there was a class for you to teach, with the same vigor, in an all white part of america where black are barred from penetrating.

I appreciate you. Salute.

57. At times these "progressives" seems to only patronize the black community as if blacks can't think for themselves or have the intelligence to know not all whites are racist.

Blacks know, so you don't need to oversell your innocence.

58. Hank Wilson says:

Here is looking at you L. T. _________

59. If there was a high crime rate white part of town, you wouldn't go there either. When you deconstruct it it's not really about the color of the skin but about perceived danger.
    If you were walking through an affluent black neighborhood you wouldn't fear much at all.

60. The article has good information that needs to be addressed but condemning people for being ignorant rather than using the article to enlighten them is counterproductive and divisive.

61. Flufka Minor says:

yeah, you should probably go to the doctor if you can't see colors.

62. Hank Wilson Truth! the ugly truth!

63. Jim Turner says:

How about STFU about it? Is that progress? All of the constant whining about your racial grievances is pissing people off. Get to work, stay in school, don't attack cops, don't make babies that you refuse to support, pull your pants up and the problems will vanish.

64. Jim Turner says:

But you accept the self reported figures for drug use don't you?

65. Jim Turner says:

Ryan Heath Do you have any idea how idiotic that is?

66. The only way this can be solved is by black people joining amongst ourselves to solve the problem. Malcolm and Dr King debated, pleaded, lectured, and marched. Now, no more.. Eye for an eye

There is no logic in trying to reason with white people. We have leaders wh have been murdered for trying to reason with these people. White people are more then capable of removing the racist element amongst them. They simply don't care and must pretend they do to keep you passive negros at bay.

Boycott everything, only buy black, remain law abiding and humble, train to defend our selves.. Return to farming.. We will be fine

67. Looking at the comments below I see a bunch of negro leeching off the blood of our people I. The streets to seem articulate or some shit.. Fucking intellectual masturbaters.. No more talking, pay no attention to extravagant speech.. Only words that demand immediate action.. Silence to these passive talkative negros

68. Ignorant, entitled, elitists. Those who don't know history will just repeat it. www, newjimcrow.com

69. I would agree that white "liberals/progressives" are infinitely more racist than most white conservatives. I get the feeling that Conservatives expect me to be equal to them in behavior and conduct while progressives point their fingers at OTHER whites and cry "racism" while they pander to me in the most unhealthiest of ways. I think they are afraid and enjoy sucking-up to us. It makes them think they're "one of the good ones". But they're not.

70. There is no logic in trying to BLAME white people. But you're right, it is up to us to solve our community issues and our centuries long habit of blaming whites is THE primary reason our prisons are full of us and our young men are dying.

71. Dan Borowski says:

How is this not considered blatant racism? Double standard, much?

72. Ashley Poole says:

Nobody will ever be happy! LIfe is not fair, believe in Jesus and live a happy live

73. The second you tried to use MTV as a relevent source I stopped reading…..Journalism is dead.

74. Alex Krug says:

Emileigh Rogers i had a close friend though, let's call her CLB, who when i tried to get into specifics about unjust application of laws, for profit prisons, educational access, and other issues of similar nature, laughed it all off. when i tried to persist, she came out with it, she didn't see these things as problems in her world, and felt if they were problems in mine that that had more to do with the inadequacy of the people in mine. more to the point, when pressed; she felt that maintaining her exclusive areas with their pristine beauty, her opportunities for leisure and education, and the need for paywalls to keep out the riffraff, were the only issues worth fighting for. though she wasn't a christian, but some new agey life is all interconnected type. though i still cherish her, i think that is really what separated us as people, i saw duty in working to spread love to all, and she saw duty in working to preserve the love that was bestowed on her, even at the cost of someone else's suffering. sometimes the attempt to educate some of these people is useless, as there is no getting past the navel at the center of their universe. she thought of herself as compassionate, mindful, strong, progressive, and accepting, and i saw in her a limitless potential for these things, but as a flower that had yet to blossom.

75. Michael Fox says:

Emileigh Rogers, the most poignant and memorable sentence in your response that really told me the you have a better grasp on the systems at play is when you said. " It takes a lot to see the white privilege that we receive, well because we always receive it". That is not a easy observation to get. It takes a rare ability to step outside you matrix and be totally objective for a second. I'm reminded of a recent conversation that I had with a coworker soon after the super Bowl in January. People were very criticle of the post game interview the Cam Newton the young black quarter back of the losing team ( Carolina Panthers ) during the interviewe he abruptly stood up and left the media with out warning. He was called a poor sport. Of coarse no mentioned that he was the first one on the field to congratulate the Quater back of the winning team ( Payton manning ) when I mentioned to my co worker that Payton Manning a much older and seasoned NFL Quater back stormed off the field of super a few years earlier with out acknowledging the winning Quater back which was certainly by any stretch of the the imagination a much more egregious show of poor character than what the much younger Cam Newton did to the media she responded with " Well you know Payton Manning is Football royalty ". That is called being blinded by white privilege.

76. Michael Fox says:

Emileigh Rogers : Of all the responses and oppions about this article. Your thoughts are to me both the most onest and get to the the point. They always say one person in a group conversation usually inadvertently rises above the din and confusion as the adult in the room. In this instance that describes you as far as I'm concerned.

77. Leesa Travis says:

I'm not sure why there isn't a focus on other races. Black folks aren't the only minorities .

78. Alexis Bobrik you were honest in a way most white people are afraid to be considering that lots of you are raised oblivious and complacent

79. Your ignorant bigoted mindset has betrayed you

80. Carl Mitchell You really think Trump supporters are less racist than other white people????