7 Biggest Risks of Raising Black Children in a White Environment

Because the nation is still an extremely racially segregated place, Black children who live in white communities are not likely to see a lot of other children who look like them. This can have potentially troubling consequences.

Nathaniel Steward, 17, recites his lesson surrounded by other bl

Children Can Be Harassed About Being Smart

Though there is a popular perception that Black students give other students a hard time if they are smart, the facts — and the anecdotal evidence of many who went through such experiences — indicate that it is Black students in predominantly white schools who encounter the most hostility about being smart. A CBS News poll of more than 1,000 high school students nationwide found that the most hostility would tend to come from white boys. When students were asked if they would be proud or embarrassed to tell friends they had done well in school, Black females were most likely to be proud, while white males at 17 percent were the most likely to be embarrassed. Also when asked whether their friends would be supportive if they had to do homework instead of hang out, Black females were the most likely to say friends would be supportive at 45 percent, and Black males and white females were tied at 40 percent, but only 24 percent of white males reported that their friends would be supportive.

25 thoughts on “7 Biggest Risks of Raising Black Children in a White Environment

1. Still keep your shine regardless of what others think they know about your culture and make it your responsibility to know your culture as well.

2. Lauren Kirsten says:

yea…white people are evil….

3. Gerald Lee Simmons says:

White people are evil huh? Smh u make me sad

4. Leon Haith says:

Every race has evil people. You put a white boy or a white girl in a all black environment they gonna get picked on and fucked with.

5. Al Pollard says:

YES AND VICE-VESA, PUT THEM IN A ALL WHITE ENVIRONMENT, IT WILL BE WORST….

6. Ericka's Angel says:

Page 6 , very true .. I went through it ..

7. Rosalie Burgos Brooks says:

I work in a perdomatley black high school. But when I heard a black student tell a white student to "stop acting black" I stopped and said "what is acting black"? Was it because the kid was a little loud, some what obnoxious, and speaks "street slang". What are we teaching our children. Where ever you grow up, your going to pick things up. She was so unfair cause if she in a perdomatley white school and some one said that to her, she would be screaming racism! How about mind your business and let people be them selves.

8. I agree with you. I really despise the whole "talking/acting" black or white foolishness.

9. Chandra Johnson says:

Integration was the worst thing besides slavery that happen to Africans. Dr. King fought for equality but he settled for integration in the school system. Smdh

10. Laverne Wood says:

When I went to mostly white schools after going to all black schools, there were instances when white teachers accused me of not having done my own work because I had done exemplary work. During my teaching career I encountered black students who had the same thing happen to them. We black students were sent to guidance counselors who tried to discourage us from going to college. I was told I wasn't college material. I earned 3 degrees & 2 are Masters. The teachers tried to put one of my friends in special ed. She went on to college & got degrees, too.

11. Laverne Wood says:

Actually, when you watch the news & study history; it's quite possible that you may come to the conclusion that a big chunk of the entire human race is flat out crazy.

12. Ann Tipton Clemment says:

Predominantly. JS

13. Shelley Bullard says:

I went to an all white school and lived in a Black neighborhood and I can say that if I had been more confident I could have been better friends with whites.but I listened to this kind of stuff and shut them out, didn't bring them home. My kids grew up with a lot of whites and my son did fine, my daughter gravitated to blacks- I think because my daughter was light skinned pretty and my son was dark skinned teased by blacks. I just didn't want my din to be in jail or for my daughter to get pregnant and it worked. Times are really so different now, I go to a mixed church, it's time to stop hanging on to this hype and get over it. These pics are 1960s and that's where this mentality belongs.

14. Vicki Pennington says:

My children are bi-racial. They started elementary school in a multicultural school. Then hurricane Ike destroyed our home. I found a place in an all Black neighborhood, where I myself would be the minority. It did NOT bother me, but when my children started school. They were ridiculously picked on by saying bad things about my race. If you looked at my children you would think they are Hispanic but they really didn't know they were black as well until me and their dad showed up at school events. Which became even worse. Kids are kids and things start at home. I make my children learn both sides of their culture. But when you have parents who have problems they tend to pass them on to their children whether it is intentional or not. But it happens with all races how can a Caucasian child call an African American kid the N word unless someone teaches them. And vice versa as the case of my children they were too black for the other school and too white for the black school. But I kept my children there and taught them that those sorts of things happen and the cycle has to be broken. They go to a magnet school now which is predominately Hispanic and they don't have issues with their race at all. But when we chose the school we were looking for Engineering programs not culture statistics. And so far 2 years in and they are doing great. They will both graduate with high school diploma and an Associates Degree in Engineering when they graduate school. I ask my children do they ever have regrets and their response is NO you taught us our culture from both sides it's our choice how we react and take the negativity in. But we would never know things like this would happen at an early age if we didn't live it. I'm truly blessed. And I am a volunteer for the same s hooligans that they had problems in just to help children read and when they first see me they don't know how to react but once they get to know me. They love me so much.

15. Vicki Pennington says:

***** For the same school that they had problems in………… Auto correct messed my words up, was NOT SAYING HOOLIGANS

16. Glenda Jones Johnson says:

Please stop this. This country is becoming increasingly brown. Black Parents, YOU are responsible for grounding your children and creating their healthy sense of identity, self-awareness, self-esteem, self-love, and possibilities. It's YOUR job to teach your children not only cultural history, but where our race is positioned in today's societal landscape, as well as in the future. Stop letting these articles fool you into believing your black child can't thrive in a different environment. Even if they go to a HBCU, they will likely work in a predominantly white work environment.

17. Ron A. Webb says:

It's All Perception, Be Who you want to be.

18. Kyra Kuddle Bear says:

Please stop this whole "white people are bad" nonsense already.

19. Maegin Mims says:

I call bull. My family lived in a predominantly white area and I didn't have these problems. My mother doesn't rely on the community to teach me who and what I am. I left for school and had no problem relating to other Black people as well as people of other ethnicities. My younger sister even went to a historically Black college and had no issues. My older sister is an Afro-rocking punk chick

20. Marc Siegel says:

I think you need to re-assess your approach. Ultimately this article is not only speaking of the perils of living in a white community, but the danger of not having a thriving black community with an economic platform. Again, blacks thinking as individuals without a cultural agenda is exactly how we are taught in white communities. This is why we have no major black controlled economy and are fighting for the same things we were fighting for a hundred years ago. Please rethink your response sister. No one is blaming anyone, yet there is a reason and recipe to our situation.

21. Marc Siegel says:

22. Marc Siegel says:

It's not about white people being "bad". It is about the artificial matrix that has been created, that has caused us to be out of touch with who we are and what we are supposed to be doing here. Before black people say anything, they should do a lot of work on reclaiming their indigenous mind.

23. " Also when asked whether their friends would be supportive if they had to do homework instead of hang out, Black females were the most likely to say friends would be supportive at 45 percent, and Black males and white females were tied at 40 percent, but only 24 percent of white males reported that their friends would be supportive."

This sounds about right.