26 thoughts on “Too Many People Think The Abolition Of Slavery Was About Anti-Racism, But This Explains Why It Was Not

1. Way to inflame the community and make us hate white people even more. The Quakers (white people) founded Abolitionism based upon the belief that it was morally wrong. Learn your history, racist Black people.

2. Roquefort Merlot says:

The slave trade ended because like Kodak, Betamax and cassette tapes another way to produce sugar, drastically reduced the need to have an endless supply of slaves

3. Roquefort Merlot says:

And that is what it comes down to economics, nothing more nothing less.

4. Roquefort Merlot Those who fought against slavery fought a long and challenging battle against a brutal industry. They risked their lives and imprisonment. They did so with empathy and compassion for Black people.

5. Amen Brotha. IMy closest friend from spent elementary was white, and we didn't even realize there was an issue. I grew up in the '70s as an Air Force brat in Fontana CA. So I never realized the TRUE depth of racism against and within my culture until I was in college. Its sad to see that so many people do not realize that they are FREE, but being racist and hateful is appealing.

6. Roquefort Merlot says:

Carl Mitchell I agree with your statement however how many slaves died fighting the same injustices? Abolitionists were humane, but humanity was not entirely responsible for the end of this trade in human flesh heart mind and soul. Yes they should be acknowledged but never in a way that is superior to those whom actually had to live under such a life of servitude and human degradation. and I will always acknowledge them first.
    Racism though in today's world is a totally different thing to back then, now people choose to hate, that is not something I comprehend as being a pursuit to enrich my life but I understand how it can grow or diminish over a persons lifetime.

7. Ameela Wheeler says:

Smh…you're a moron, Carl. I'll leave you to bask in your ignorance.

8. Ann Eds says:

Two things, I read and I'm always surprised at the number of people that "remind" black people of the contribution of whites to help end slavery, as though they should be celebrated and not the end of slavery. The other is as pretty as it sounds to the intellectuals, Lincoln saw what was happening and decided to make lemonade from lemons. Slaves were killing the slave masters and their families. This wasn't an economic problem, but a breathing problem. Black folk had had enough.

White people didn't have to kill Lincoln. He didn't believe in equality. He was just as racist as the next guy. He could just see the writing on the wall. Slavery had come to an end. It was over.

9. Ludwig Bon Quirog says:

You speak my mind, Carl. That was exactly (EXACTLY) what was in my mind while listening to this.

10. Hedon Bot says:

This is not meant to "inflame" but does a lot to explain race relations today. Slave rebellions & being more concerned for a loss of capital, trying to be ruthlessly pragmatic about this makes sense. Of course there were abolitionists but they were radicals within their party. The civil war was mainly fought over state rights & holding the union together. Why is telling the truth inflammation? That is what is sad. What is the point of being anti intellectual or making it seem as if this Professor is vilifying all white people? If anything is he providing a context for the racial tension that persists & endures today. The Quakers were & are wonderful people but there is no point, in obscuring knowledge, as there is always something to learn from the past.

11. Hedon Bot says:

I mean you are accusing an accomplished Professor who has wrote 20+ books of spreading "pro-black" propaganda because …I can't even go into this, this is sad.

12. Hedon Bot says:

TonyboyWonders I have never heard of ANYONE writing them out of history. White people have always been central to ALL of my history lessons. It is probably because I went to a majority white school. Please stop generalizing about blacks diminishing the contributions of white abolitionists. If there is a suspicion it is justified given our treatment after being emancipated up until now. It is well known that Lincoln didn't care about ending slavery, this says nothing of modern day whites & everything about the attitude of this period in time.

13. Ann Eds says:

TonyboyWonders I won't cut into your ass, because you misunderstood my intent. I'm not writing white people out of the fight. How could I honestly do that, when it was Lincoln a white man that made it possible for US to join the fight for our own freedom? I'm not delusional. I admire him. I don't like that he was killed, because of what he did providing us with a path out from under hardship. Boothe didn't have to kill Lincoln because he was far more enlightened.

14. Ann Eds says:

Roquefort Merlot It may also had to do with the number of slave owners that were being killed, along with their families and buried out in the woods.

Funny, you guys saw it only as an issue of economics. lol. Maybe your history books were written in Texas and you hadn't read about all of the uprisings. We most assuredly needed the help and compassion of white people to help us realize our freedom from the barbaric and inhumane savages of the South.

15. Ann Eds says:

Roquefort Merlot TonyboyWonders have you read this guys responses to the compassionate reasons for the ending of slavery? time to get up off your knees in worship.

16. Roquefort Merlot says:

Let me get this straight. In which part of my statement was I being a racist?

17. Ann Eds Well I'll just use a term that you seem to like and state that "people like you" are the biggest problem Black people face today.

18. Melanin theory is pretty racist.

19. Hedon Bot In what world are you living where being a writer with degrees precludes someone being a nut job?

20. Hedon Bot In what world are you living where being a writer with degrees precludes someone being a nut job?

21. Roquefort Merlot says:

Carl and Tonyboy = Baseless answers.

22. Etheleen Lawrence says:

Carl Mitchell: Those whites who fought against slavery were few. When I look at the black condition today…you don't see white folks fighting against the injustices of inequality. What's even worse this was planned and carried out by our government. Smdh.

23. Etheleen Lawrence says:

24. Hedon Bot says:

Carl Mitchell So you have to stoop down to calling someone a "nut job" to discredit what they are saying & argue your point? UGH.

25. You need to know and learn your history hun. In order for the black race to move on and learn, we need to know where we're coming from in order to know where we are going.

Now…. why dont the white man teach us this in school????

26. Etheleen Lawrence says:

Carl and Tonyboy are white boys. Or they have the Charles Barkley syndrome. They're dating or married to white women and have lost what made them the father of human civilization. And also, if they are black, this shows how not knowing ones own history will keep them enslaved.