5 Things You Didn’t Know About Black Children During Slavery

Black Children Were Fed Like Pigs

Babies were often taken care of by very young Black children or very old adults who weren’t able to work much. Because there were often many babies to be fed, they were fed out of troughs.

“Children fed like pigs out of troughs and, being supplied sparingly, invariably fight and quarrel with one another over their meals,” Francis Fredric recalled in documents in The National Archives. The food they were given often lacked protein and other things of nutritional value. The children’s bellies were often plump, which is a typical indicator of malnutrition.

41 thoughts on “5 Things You Didn’t Know About Black Children During Slavery

1. Yes, the troughs feedings also produce a worm epidemic, many children who died, worms caused their death. This is unbelievable what they did to our people.

2. Bigg Griff says:

Damn devils

3. Must I hate the Whites after reading this?

4. Randy Jones says:

Only the ones who owned slaves and/or benefitted from such a psychotic practice.

5. Sosa Bloom says:

This makes me wonder sometimes..if God loves black people, or were we really a cursed people? cuz I know he could have put a stop to it all…but he didn't.

6. Yashaya Yasharahla says:

Wait a second. The last picture is not an "African-American" group. They look like the aborigines of Australia!

7. Rita Fofah says:

The Jews also suffered atrocities and they were God's "chosen people"…..Blacks went through hell and back but we are STILL here….to me that says something

8. Abbas Ali says:

You can see pic4 woman is in pain. I hope all the black people who die under the white suppression god give them a good place in heaven.

9. Abbas Ali says:

only fool would think that jews are gods chosen ppl.

10. Rita Fofah says:

According to the Bible they are the chosen people, obviously you don't and that's fine for you

11. Abbas Ali says:

I am a Muslim i dont belive that their is Specific ppl who is chose by god. To me we are all the same for God- Shiva -Allah etc.

12. Rita Fofah says:

Okay, that makes sense

13. Kathy Ezeh says:

Okay…..I thought it was just me who was thinking the same.

14. Marsha Malone says:

Not all white people but many would be more than happy to do this today if they could manage to getaway with it. I swear something is wrong with that breed of people. That have no soul!

15. Yes, it appears to be aborigines of Australia. Sadly, their oppression mirrored that of the african american experience, even to the excessively high rate of imprisonment of blacks there, currently, like in America.

16. Marsha Malone Yeah, because many blacks aren't corrupted as well…/sarcasm.

17. What an interesting article list. I'm not surprised though. Too bad an article that could have led to an interesting debate and collaboration of more facts has only produced, mainly, ignorant, radical racist remarks. Yeah, that's real progress there.

18. Rita Fofah is right. Just read Deuteronomy 28 and see how it lines up with slavery with the negroes.

19. Rita Fofah is right. Just read Deuteronomy 28 and see how it lines up with slavery with the negroes.

20. No, don't hate anyone. Hate evil and wickedness.

21. Personally, I don't believe there is a god; however, that just makes it even more important for people to do what's right as opposed to what's wrong. Continue to stand up against oppression and evil. Remember, the world isn't dangerous, because of what bad people do in it, but, because of those who stand by, doing nothing.

22. It's your choice. No one can choose that for you.

23. Traco Griggs says:

It's not what you believe, it is what's written, what you believe don't matter. , the have taken the BIBLE & rewritten it to fit them.l.p.why

24. Aaron Johnson No other group have made their way around the world in such a manner claiming, property and resources while turning indigenous people into servants and slaves, creating separate laws that do not apply to themselves of course.

25. You can have an interesting debate if you choose to. This is an article not a book of resources and facts. You read an article and do your own research to collaborate or substantiate. This is just for commenting and replies to those comments. Some comments are worth reading and others are not. Some folks lack debatable skills unfortunately and others are interesting. If you are here you have to accept it for what it is and move on.

26. Aaron Johnson I think most people feel powerless even though they vote. You get caught up just trying to survive and deal with your own problems. I think many are just overwhelmed.

27. Marsha Malone Missed the point that corruption and mistreatment isn't just limited to one race.

28. Give us examples of blacks holding whites in slavery, Aaron Johnson. Then maybe you would have a comparison.

29. What year did man create god?

30. What year did man create god?

31. What year did man create god?

32. What year did man create heaven?

33. Marsha Malone Yeah…thanks for the heads up…

34. Reading isn't your strongest I see. I posted that corruption and mistreatment isn't just limited to one race.

35. No race is perfect and without sin.

36. Aaron Johnson Your welcome!

37. Aaron Johnson, You're welcome! You are very intelligent and I respect your views.

38. You don't have to hate anyone. Just hate what they do and not be like that yourself.

39. Kay King says:

They are African my hair is like that and I'm black!

40. Kay King says:

Yes he does and that's why we were first human creation and blacks are the real Jews! Those murdered by Hitler were imposters and that's why they were murdered!

41. Dredd Scott says:

how black lives have mattered in america…from runaway slave ads…
    May 11, 1769. Run away from the subscriber in Charles City county, the 14th of April last, a VIRGINIA born Negro fellow named PETER, about 44 years of age, of a black complexion, a slim fellow, his teeth cut before as if broke off, and is a sly artful rogue if not watched; he carried with him sundry clothes, such as crop Negroes usually wear, also a white Virginia cloth waistcoat and petticoat, a Tarlton plaid gown, and sundry other of his wife's clothes. He also carried away a gun of an uncommon large size, and a fiddle, which he is much delighted in when he gets any strong drink, which he is remarkably fond of, and then very talkative and impudent. I suspect he has gone to Amelia county, to Mr. Tanner's, as Mrs. Tanner, alias Mrs. Johnson, sold him to Mr. Richard Hayles, and by him sold to the subscriber, as he often told the other Negroes that if ever I used him ill he would go to his old mistress, as she never sold him to Mr. Hayles, but only lent him during pleasure, and that he would go to her and be protected. The said Negro is outlawed; and I will give £10 to any person or persons that will kill him and bring me his head, separate from his body, or 40s. if delivered to the subscriber near the Long Bridge.
    William Gregory