6 Startling Things About Sex Farms During Slavery That You May Not Know

Crowe-Slaves_Waiting_for_Sale_-_Richmond,_VirginiaThe fertility of enslaved women was examined by owners to make sure they were able to birth as many children as possible. Secretly, slaveowners would impregnate enslaved women and when the child was born and grew to an age where he could work on the fields, they would take the “very same children (of their) own blood and make slaves out of them,” as pointed out in the National Humanities Center Resource Toolbox on Slaveholders’ Sexual Abuse of Slaves.

218 thoughts on “6 Startling Things About Sex Farms During Slavery That You May Not Know

1. And they try to tell us we are violent, criminals, thieves, everything they call us they are talking about themselves. Used the bible to justify holding our relatives in slavery.

2. Carey Miller says:

Rather disappointing that this included zero new information. Also a bit worried that it is trying to imply there is some genetic issue with the black population in the US. I don't buy that at all.

3. Sick! They forced slaves to have orgies! This is not human nature, when will the world realise this and address it!

4. Vince Heard says:

The guy Carey is probably gay

5. Vince Heard says:

Look at the guy next to him lol.

6. Vince Heard says:

Look at the guy next to him lol.

7. Sick and filthy we can love truly.

8. The only thing this article is implying is that people kidnapped from Africa experienced reprehensible treatment from their captors. And we owe it to them to at least read some of it

9. Mondo Price says:

Is that really so far fetched? The depths of slavery goes deeper than most can fathom, or care to believe. Then there's the whole cognitive dissonance thing. I applaud them for even touching this at all. Take some time amd do some research.

10. James E Sullivan says:

Well, I am of mixed opinion about these stories. The fact is that they did whatever they wanted to do with blacks. I mean we have to know that doing whatever with people covers a lot of ground sexually without going into detail.

11. Mondo Price says:

Have you seen rabbit proof fence, about what they did to the Australians? It gets worse. Much worse. You can't tell me that some of that terror and carnage, mixed with incest and all did not effect our dna/gene pool in some way.

12. Mondo Price says:

You could have been forced to have sex with your sistet m9ther or own child even just to keep the numbers going. 400+ years of this…

13. Mondo Price Thank god. The stories Ive been hearing have been so sickning i question thier humanity as a race.The ansetors still live inside of us and thier pain echos in my heart.I will no longer fear thier beast nature.My life's passion will be to destroy it!

14. Jaz Caruthers says:

… back then wanted more and more black boys and men to enslave but when enslavement became illegal, they now figure… let's just kill them all. #ferguson #blacklivesmatter

15. Jaz Caruthers says:

The world doesn't care.

16. Mondo Price says:

Why should the world care when we act as if we don't care to know collectively? Most of us are too busy turning up or burrying our heads in the sand aka church and ignore what's really going on.

17. Paris Ward says:

I read this, and I'm literally sick to my stomach. I can't even begin to describe my anger.

18. Mike Carter MAcc Mph says:

19. These people will read an article and then immediately imply deflection tactics.

20. It's the same thing they did to the American Indians.. Who welcomed them in the Caribbean and the Americas. They enslaved them, stole all their gold, took away their land, raped their women, did all kind of atrocities to them and when the Indians started revolting they killed them off, violently and systematically.. When they weren't many Indians left to enslave they came to Africa for us.. Wicked Babylonian…

21. Kevin Williams says:

And 1 reason my I STRONGLY disagree with Couples, Dating, Marriage or anything like that… I just can't understand how/why after THEY did any any everything they wanted to do with and to US as a people… Why would we Freely give ourselves to them?

22. We need to communicate and get a signature petition going for reparations and support national organizations that support reparations!

23. Mondo Price says:

Ok. Lets say I dropped 5 million dollars into your hands from reparations. What's the first thing you are going to do with it? The second, third and so on…the average person has no clue what to do with that kind of money. They will wind up just giving it right back to the govt and european buying dumb stuff. Hell, a lot of us can't manage food stamps. My point is education should be priority over money. Money is what got us into this hellhole, why do we want a bunch of it just to end up becoming like them?

24. Jaz Caruthers The world is waiting for us to cleanse ourselves of europeon concepts and come back to our original selves.The world is waiting for us to remember who we are.The world is in protest with us but we are. Thats when the earth will evolve when we address the root of the problem and the problem is euro imperialism and white supremacy.

25. Cortney Danielle says:

Honestly if black people did get reparations most when spend it on car & clothes instead of investments! Black peope who prosper more if we knew how use money wisely. Slavey was all based on money & nothing has changed. Money talks everything else walks!

26. Brandon Elias says:

Racebaiter

27. Crystal Stewart says:

I don't believe that there is a genetic issue with black people at all either. People have to be careful and selective with what they choose to read and secondly how they process, analyze, and retain that information. Research suggests the opposite for black people. A large part of the problem is that black children and youth live in systemic poverty and therefore they are not able to maximize their true potential. It's done by design. If there was forced incest at the rate that is suggested (and this suggestion is a dangerous one), wouldn't that affect the slaves overall and mental capacity to actually work the land?

28. Crystal Stewart says:

29. Barthelmy Straughn Like you said , when they tried to revolt, that really sounds like what is happening right now.

30. Mondo Price I would hope that we would built our own business, housing, grocery stores and so on

31. Cortney Danielle says:

Of i would hope that but blacks aren't doing that now and we CAN but we need the right direction! Not money! Once we come together the money will and is there! Just have to put in the work. I'm 26, I have stocks and investments. I soon hope to own a buissness

32. Mondo, please we have to be carful not to judge, your argument is wrapped in fear and you don't even realize it.

33. Alexander C. Moore says:

What point are you trying to make?

34. Crystal Stewart says:

Alexander C. Moore if you don't understand, don't comment

35. Alexander C. Moore says:

Understand what your view point

36. Alexander C. Moore says:

I am not clear of the point that you are trying to make .. what is it? I

37. Sye Holland says:

If we did get reparations does it really matter what one chooses to spend it on?? Lets get them 1st and then yall can talk bout good or bad spending decisions

38. Sye Holland says:

39. Lets just agree, reparations now!! We can win this fight..

40. We need to do a petition for reparations which is right but send it to the UNITED NATIONS so we can press charges against the United states government for these criminal activities

41. We need to do a petition for reparations which is right but send it to the UNITED NATIONS so we can press charges against the United states government for these criminal activities

42. @graciana afrikah,if you say this is not human, it is an understatement. These guys are barbaric.every right thinking human being should know that europe exploitations on africans and africa soil.i swear this people must not go unpurnish……they are evil…

43. Why you think some of these black on black crimes it's that evil blood line from slave master the devil tell you its black people but it's that blood line. How you think they going get rid of black folks.

44. Levy Clemons wrote that but my name pop up there

45. Tia Medina says:

right!!! Very heart breaking the child being punished with death made me wanna vomit im very hurt

46. Because the ones who did these things have long been dead. Many white Americans didn't even have family in America during the times of slavery not to mention a small minority of whites were slaveowners. I am not and never will condone these actions, Im just saying that not allowing one's self to love WHOEVER due to US slavery is silly.

47. whites are the true savages!

48. Take some time out and watch a Ivor called misused science. This article is only the beginning… Smh sick

49. Calvin D says:

Ms. Granciana the world already recognize this we Africans are the ones that don't recognize it. We so bamboozled into entertainment and other white European BS.

50. Calvin D says:

51. Makes me feel ashamed to be white:(

52. Ceka Peer says:

If stating history is race baiting theres something wrong with the country, not the article.

53. Theresa Desarro-Revilak says:

While reading this type of thing makes me sick, another thing to consider is this type of slavery is STILL HAPPENING NOW! We need to fight modern day slavery. The sex slave trade is one of the biggest money making crimes in the world today, even more than the drug trade. Children are being tied up and raped repeatedly 30 to 40 times a day! It's still happening and this has to stop!

54. I don't see anything about the Irish people and Irish slaves who were actually worth a lot less than black slaves.

55. In realizing how this past sexual abuse still has a ripple effect on us today, my doctoral dissertation is on studying the sexuality of Black Americans, exploring if a concept of spiritual-sexuality can bring healing. Read more: http://intimatemarriage.org/resources/215-spiritual-sex-research-study.html.

56. There is a need for research that both understands the cultural context and advances the sexual wellbeing of Black Americans.

57. Ben Tetteh says:

the worst treatment any human go ever go through. How could another human treat another human like an animal? Really evil. The devil is certainly not a black man.

58. Carey Miller what do you mean by genetic issues…..what does mean that Blacks-Natives of America (one in the same) in America are a rare breed like no other Blacks(Natives)….because of that fact having been forced

59. We are Title as the Children of Abraham the chosen one of the GODS….the Blacks and also Natives that are in America are that Rare Breed, Like Elijah Muhammad told Us!!!!

60. Shannon LJ says:

This information makes me sick to my stomach.

61. Yes the article is horrendous. But it's nothing we all didn't already know. What's truly appalling is that history is still being held against anyone with a pale completion. Yes what happened was tragic. But you're not the only rave to go through hard times. And I'm sick and tired off all white people as being labeled as slave owners. My mothers parents are first generation. So they weren't here during that time. My father's blood line has native blood. And we all know native Americans didn't own slaves they were busy trying to find land that they wouldn't be murdered for. Why does anyone deserve money for something that happened in history? That would mean everyone on this planet deserves some. Do you see Jewish people complaining? Nope. And honestly if everyone is so mad about slavery. Maybe open a history book and learn that African tribes sold other Africans into slave trade.

62. Only criminals and animals are called such. No matter what color.

63. English men went the captors. As they did not kidnap anyone. They bought African puerile from the other African puerile who stole them and sold them.

64. Your statement, "Do you see Jewish people complaining"? Well no, because they received reparations, reparations, and still receiving reparations. What you say makes no sense. You of all people, make yourself look stupid, trying to advise blacks, everything horrid that happened to blacks were done by people who look like you, Europeans. Go sit the hell down.

65. Your statement, "Do you see Jewish people complaining"? Well no, because they received reparations, reparations, and still receiving reparations. What you say makes no sense. You of all people, make yourself look stupid, trying to advise blacks, everything horrid that happened to blacks were done by people who look like you, Europeans. Go sit the hell down.

66. Marie Jean says:

@Kevin Williams. You present the paradox of the century which is why do black people run to white neighborhoods or to white people for help because their fellow blacks abuse them too much.

67. So you're calling all euro people racist monsters. But it's not ok for pale people to comment about the animals looting their own town? Wll isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? And is funny cause I have many Jewish friends and none of them got money. Black people were given freedom and money from their former owners. Stop blaming all whites. Blacks are only oppressed because they refuse to let what happened to.

68. Sarah Elizabeth Last comment, what money and freedom did we get? We are no longer held as slaves, but we are not free, and sure didn't get money. Where are you getting this information. Don't tell me. Your Jewish friends many nor have gotten money in hand, but they got it as a group, and look at how they used it, to help build up the state of Isreal. Are you saying these things just to see if you can get away with? Sure you are, you all need to stop it, continuing to fool the planet's people.

69. Sarah Elizabeth Last comment, what money and freedom did we get? We are no longer held as slaves, but we are not free, and sure didn't get money. Where are you getting this information. Don't tell me. Your Jewish friends many nor have gotten money in hand, but they got it as a group, and look at how they used it, to help build up the state of Isreal. Are you saying these things just to see if you can get away with? Sure you are, you all need to stop it, continuing to fool the planet's people.

70. You deserve money for something that happened to other people in history? Slaves were given freedom and offered praying jobs and given money. Yes. Open a damn book.

71. Sarah Elizabeth Now you want to get real personal. Only shows your humanity side, keep it up, you are not surprising me. So typical. See my post November 24, 2014, should be under this one, describing you. Why are you on this site? To show the evil in yourself, you do not have to do that, all blacks know this already. You don't have to do anything, you don't have to say anything. I bet you lie to your off springs about blacks.

72. Benjamin Benjaminz says:

I'd think you'll be trying to preach to the preacher if that avenue is tried.

73. Johnny L Thomas Jr. says:

We are not chosen. You are making the Creator out to be a bigot plus, Abraham didn't exist anyway. The bible said it in so many words. The bible said he's an allegory which means fictional peoples.

74. Rickey Pam says:

Knowing how slaves were treated and to see how blacks now treat each other is sadden to the heart.

75. If there was no Abraham there is No Creator!! smart ass! and like i said if you could read…..i wrote we are titled as the Children of Abraham the chosen ones…that is for those whom believe in the god concept whatever ones belives is their business… I know the Science that bears witness that .Blacks in America are the chosen people…above all Blacks …like it or not!!!

76. Tabatha Mclaughlin says:

This is horrible, absolute horror. Even so, the word many of you are using…"they" does not represent me. You are steriotyping my whole race. To my knowledge most white people could not afford to own a slave. It was a small minority that owned slaves. I find it racist to clump myself and many others whose ansesters did not own slaves with the monsters who did. Unfair to judge the race as a whole. Unfair to judge my, your or any race as a whole on a few bad people. It makes me very sad to think of the atrocities that happened during slavery. It makes me sad I am apparently judged as one of "they". What hatred.

77. Sarah Elizabeth I guess that is suppose to make it better, typical.

78. We have soooo much 2 learn, the sooner that we start trying to learn the better off we will be

79. Sarah Elizabeth…..before you try to cyber bully me think about being sold into slavery, servitude or killed because of your pale complexion. Then when you can say to your captor "its ok, Im the one that misunderstood the situation." Then reply back about pain, racism, blacks or even the fucking jews

80. Sarah Elizabeth…..before you try to cyber bully me think about being sold into slavery, servitude or killed because of your pale complexion. Then when you can say to your captor "its ok, Im the one that misunderstood the situation." Then reply back about pain, racism, blacks or even the fucking jews

81. Generale Generale says:

EXACTLY WHY I AM SO GLAD THAT NOT ONE WOMAN IN MY ENTIRE FAMILY AND I HAVE A HUGE FAMILY, TOO MANY FAMILY MEMBERS, I AM SO GLAD THE WOMEN IN MY FAMILY WOULD NEVER EVER GIVE A WHITE MAN THE TIME OF DAY… SHAME ON BLACK WOMEN WHO CHOOSE FREELY TO EVEN DATE THESE PINK MEN, LET ALONG MARRY THEM.. LEARN WHO U ARE AND WHERE U FROM.. UNBELIEVABLE..

82. but the real question here is, would you marry one?

83. Just because you're black doesn't mean your ancestors were slaves

84. And blacks went on to form the NAACP, Black Entertainment Television (BET), etc

85. Well, no one has seen the devil firsthand, so no one knows the color of it

86. evil to 21st century standards, common practice back in the day

87. anger for something your parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents never went through. just because you're black doesn't mean you descended from slaves

88. the thing is, you never went through being a slave either

89. Raisa L. Rouse says:

Fernando Rodríguez Hernán Interesting "thought" process. My great grandmother IS still alive and just missed being a slave. She tells stories of her parents being slaves. Fernando, assuming and making generalizations does everyone an injustice. Try a bit of sensitivity.

90. @Fernando Rodriguez question would you..

91. Fernando i can tell by your comments you are a young man with no clue ,makeing the typical white man statements

92. And to this we are supposed to just "get over it" huh? Get over the holocaust first, then maybe I'll get over this shit!

93. And that's the truth, that is why now they are trying to kill all the young black males! Think about it, somebody in a very high place is giving the distinct order to have blacks exterminated! It's going to get much worse before it's gets better! Gotta wake up now!! They are mad because we are not in chains!!

94. Sarah Elizabeth That is not true! That's a lie perpetrated, so white folks can feel better about themselves over the atrocities committed by these heathens!!

95. Fernando Rodríguez Hernán Most black people have slaves as ancestors! Yes they do too! Where in the hell are you getting your information?!

96. Francesca Peay Are you kidding? What is silly is to think that all those slaveowners (and there were many) including some of our Presidents (who profited immensely) don't have many many offspring and descendants who are among us now with the same racist attitudes!! Nothing funny or silly about that, but hey, if you wanna be with a white boy, knock yourself out!! You'd probably be right at home!!

97. Mondo Price Brother all it is, that most white folk can't fathom the idea that their forefathers were some of the biggest terrorists and profiteers, being that slavery was the most profitable form of business of the day!! Just check the net worth of some of the former Presidents of the United States who were actual slaveowners as well! IT WAS BIG BUSINESS!! You know it, and I know it, they know it too, they're just in DENIAL!!

98. Ray Johnson Mosley Yeah Ray, that Fernando is a silly little kid or he acts like one! Just ignore him!!!

99. Raisa L. Rouse My brother, ignore this guy, he is just a pest! He has no backing of his information, he obviously lives at home with his mom, in fact it seems as if he is not really a very bright student either! Just ignore him!! He's irrelevant!!

100. Mondo Price Speak for yourself bruh, I know exactly what I would do with the 5 million you speak of, and I certainly wouldn't be patronizing the big conglomerates that finance the privatization of prisons or anything like that! I have my own business, and I would certainly invest in that, that's what I would do with it! As far as food stamps go, I have NEVER used food stamps or any other governmental subsidy for that matter! Don't assume or generalize, a lot of folk no matter what color would blow it, but I ain't one of them!!

101. Shari Dunn says:

Most Latin people have slave ancestors also Fernando

102. I declare some people say the dumbest things. Some educated person said slave owners weren't the one who still the slaves. They bought them from the people that did. Hello genius. Those same people made it illegal for you and anyone else to buy stolen property. Kids are being kidnapped today to be sex slaves. So the perverts who pay to sleep with little girls did nothing wrong either. Just trying to understand that logic. #troubled

103. Jerome Taylor Antebellum Slavery – "Fully 3/4 of Southern whites did not even own slaves; of those who did, 88% owned twenty or fewer. Whites who did not own slaves were primarily yeoman farmers. " PBS.org (see below). If you want to go through every white person's history to see if their family owned slaves at one point, that's your prerogative. Of course our President's owned slaves and of course some descendents may hold racist attitudes. But you can't base entire populations on the views of a few.

104. Mondo Price is correct. The depths of slavery do go much deeper. It is not a White vs. Black thing. It's about power. Every single ancient civilization used slavery as a tool to gain power and maintain power. Every tribe and every people. Europeans used this age methodology to build and maintain multiple empires. But they did not create it. Human breeding has gone for thousands of years. There is blood on all our hands. On every human tribe and people, we are all guilty.

105. Steve Jordan says:

I'm not sure what his references are. I believe a lot of things like this happened but I would like to see some type of documentation or narrative to support these ideas. Does anyone know of any books to read on this topic?

106. Steve Jordan says:

Fernando Rodríguez Hernán I would marry you Fernando. You can be my wife.

107. Steve Jordan says:

Sarah Elizabeth If a white guy in your neighborhood stole your kids and sold them to me and I kept them tortured and working on my farm and living in my basement for their entire lives does it absolve me from guilt or responsibility because I bought them from somebody white?

108. Steve Jordan when's the wedding? where's my ring? i want all of my family invited for our big day pls

109. Shari Dunn I know, but the past is in the past. It's good to know all this in order for "history not to repeat itself", but I also think it's time to move and not getting stuck in time.

110. Francesca Peay Makes no difference the percentages of those who actually owned slaves, it was ACCEPTED by the majority, they cultivated racist behavior, in other words, the behavior was taught to their children and their children taught their children, so there was widespread acceptance among white folks. Now, we as blacks on the other hand were taught in spite of all that went wrong during those times, is to love and to forgive and whatnot! See, behavior is inbred and taught or learned! IT is not so much US that has to do the accepting, it is them that has to learn!! How is it when you would walk through a white neighborhood, immediately we stand out, and in a lot of cases, police are called because of 'suspicious behavior' something innocent as 'walking while black" for example, Trayvon Martin and when whiltes can walk in any black neighborhood and not draw any attention hardly!! That is called learned behavior, and that is happening today, see? Of course you have those who do not harbor these views and good for them! But you have to be careful and not assume, everybody feels the same as you do about race, that''s all! I've learned to be careful to say the least and I do not have a problem with that!! We did not start this crap, and I am a little tired of having to fend for somebody who really don't give a damn about me!! The thing is, I don't bother nobody, and you better not start nothing with me! Plain and simple!

111. I can sympathize tho Fernando. Im not on this site wondering why people are so against slavery. I can understand pain and stigma. Can u?

112. Steve Jordan says:

Fernando Rodríguez Hernán You're already wearing our ring when you sit down. I just have to stretch it out some so it can fit me. If you would like your family to watch that stretching I am also available for that on our wedding day.

113. Yep… they were so powerful then.. and still are very powerful till this day with all their soldiers and police.. Like they have right now and back then… They can take your life and lock you up in jail and use any excuse or law to justify it… Wicked Babylonians.. So my people don't do no wrong thing before you become a victim… Or their victim.. We already are victims of poverty…

114. Raisa L. Rouse says:

Fernando Rodríguez Hernán Who said I was "angry?" Its not about anger, its about awareness. And I am VERY aware of my position as a Black woman, raising BLACK boys and what my contribution to my community has to be in order to make sure that my culture is not lost and that history isn't repeated. Your point about slavery no longer being legal is moot. Institutional slavery is alive and kicking. Systematic Slavery-ever so present. I guess you've not been directly affected yet, but please do realize that the fight for Immigration laws (primarily targeting those of Spanish decent) are apart of those aforementioned systems. And NO sir, it is not time to "move on" but it IS time to move forward WHILST NOT forgetting the past so our people aren't doomed to repeat it.

115. Raisa L. Rouse says:

Jerome Taylor LOL I'm a woman 🙂

116. Wessley Dorsey says:

what are u stupid??????

117. Fernando Rodríguez Hernán we arent stuck in time.. we are living it right now as we speak…there is a difference between overt and covert racism, hard and soft power. There is so many levels of oppression working on auto pilot that we dont need plantations and slave masters anymore due too internalized and institutionalized racism the system runs itself…nothing has changed except for their tactics.Slavery still exists so we have nothing to move on from as we are at war with this system

118. SA AH says:

Sarah, occurred to the Jews was wrong, but comparing the Jews of Nazis Germany to the slaves of the Americas is an thoughtless argument. Slaves weren't actually given their freedom right away…nor was their freedom fought for in the manner you wish to describe.

119. Mondo Price I deff believe we hold trauma in our DNA patterns and in our energetic bodies because of this .. trauma passed down and inherited

120. Fernando Rodríguez Hernán but by whom is it common for is the question?

121. SA AH says:

Don't compare slave revolts to what is going on today. History is not repeating itself in the manner in which Black-Americans were subjugated to such extreme levels of oppression. What is occurring today is not analogous to slave revolts of the Caribbean…Another note, stop using the word "us" seeing that none of you were ever subjected to such treatments. These articles are meant to bring truth to slave culture. Comparing events of the 19th century and before, and even later in the 20th century, to what is occurring today is a disrespect to those victimized. Comparing slave revolts to civil protests of today is s lap in the face. Those individuals had absolutely no rights and laid their lives out to the mercy of Justice. History is there for us to understand, learn, and grow…from what I keep reading, while scrolling up and down comments, is that a lot of people feel like victims in a society that allows it to be otherwise. Fight justice, with justice. Fight the law, using the very law that protects you. Lastly, be thankful you have the privilege of protesting and gathering. A right no slaves had. A lot of you who keep senselessly using the word "They", are not being specific about the group you're referring too…and it's plain ignorant. Don't do group associations, unless you're going to describe the group you're talking about. This is an informative article, not something to fuel more hate.

122. Did I say all slaves were freed instantly? No. Who are you to tell me if I'm evil or not? You're saying you're oppressed. Well it's only because you calling to history! Yes Jews and blacks can be compared. Whose to say a tragedy it's worth more than another? Also my daughter is biracial. And isn't lied to about anything. She is taught to love people not color.

123. Bola Popoola says:

We can all choose love moving forward.

124. Bola Popoola says:

Hatred is not an option.

125. Bola Popoola says:

Always choose love, when you are faced with hatred, and peace will follow you.

126. Mel Logan says:

Fernando Rodríguez Hernán Lol at this troll.

127. FIGHT FOR REPARATIONS FOR TRANSATLANTIC ENSLAVEMENT OF AFRICANS SIGN HERE TO SUPPORT >>> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rastafari-movement-uk.

128. Raisa L. Rouse My bad, My Sister!! Respect to the QUEEN!!!

129. The bible clearly states that you are your ancestors, so yes, giving yourself to them, is just like giving to them too. Wicked #WakeUpIsrael

130. Wicked, satanic swine….we will never fathom the depth of evil coming from these wicked people all over the world to those they consider less than!

131. Merrie Hare says:

Sarah Elizabeth Slavery did START from Africans selling other Africans, but it did not continue or end that way. The sell of Africans reduced drastically after the English started trading with defective or destructive goods. Also, many Englishmen did not see the purpose of buying slaves when they could be taken so easily.

132. Numbers. But people aren't numbers they are people. The Jewish race was almost non existent. Still think slavery was worse? I have family from the middle east worse house was shot at after 9.11 still think black people are the only ones who are discriminated against?

133. So because a small percentage of white people owned slaves it means we are all evil? But this whole imperial started because the black community doesn't like that black people are associated with being thugs just because a small group of young black people present themselves in such manors. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

134. Merrie Hare says:

Fernando Rodríguez Hernán My great grandmother was a slave as a child, so that makes your statement invalid. Also, please drop the false sense of security your camouflage has allowed you do to have; if you were only one shade darker you would have a clearer understanding of the issue, just as many of your darker Latino counterparts do. Our present anger does not stem from the past it is created in the present. The past serves as a reference so that we may see what lead to the current state of this country.

135. That's odd because I already knew these facts before reading this article. So please explain why you think th school system sugar coats it. What's also funny is I have a close friend African born sitting next to me shaking his head at this whole site because he doesn't understand why the past is being clung to. Is tag him but he doesn't have fb.

136. Merrie Hare says:

I agree that all "pale people" are not racist and did not agree with the institution of slavery. If it were not for the "pale people" that saw the horror in the act, we would still be enslaved. I disagree with you for the most part though. It is a well know fact that the enslavement of blacks did not start in America, so it is still possible that you had slave owners for ancestors (not saying that you did) even though you mother is first generation. Also, just because your father has native blood does not mean that is not a result of the rape or enslavement of native women(still not saying that is the case) or the that he did not own slaves Native Americans and blacks owned slaves. Maybe you should read the entire book before you give a history lesson. Finally, some black people do what reparations, but want we really want is true equality and not this facade of a system that is built to work against us.

137. The devil is not a man either.

138. Sarah Elizabeth sure not all whites are racists, but you and all present whites benefit from slavery and privilege that's been past down from generation to generation, give us our reparations for the rape, enslavement, free labor that helped to give you an unfair advantage in life then we can talk until then I don't want to hear [email protected]@T.

139. Fernando Rodríguez Hernán you are no credit to your race ignorant

140. Jerome Taylor No, they are mad because we realize we are in mental chains and we are waking up, we need our reparations so we can build some where else let them have the US.

141. Did I say that made it ok? No. Just wish people would open their eyes and see that a race is not to blame bu humanity itself. Not all white people are racist and not all blacks are thugs. But unfortunately these stereo types exist because a few Neanderthals from each side continue to demonstrate those traits.

142. Well, I'm a little confused. There are statements being made about know where you come from and hating white people, etc. If your ancestors were owned by slaves and slave owners impregnated them, doesn't that make you part "white"? Unless your ancestors were never touched by a white person, not one single person is full African. So where does that leave you in scheme of things? Do you hate your own people's children for technically having a white father? That's just an excuse! I was raised in a home where my grandparents adopted 2 Korean children and my aunt a mixed race girl of Mexican/African, so my heart had no place for racism and I never ever looked at them as color. They are my family! I love them all dearly!

143. My husband and children are registered Native Americans and very proud of it. My heritage traces back to Native Indian as well. I would love to find our role number and get registered. You do realize that the President isn't full African American nor his wife. Her grandfather owned slaves. So do you hate your own President?

144. The hatred of other people has gotten us where? NO WHERE! Because they hate what happened to a young black man, they destroyed their own community! What is right about that? There are people that worked for years to build a business and look where they are now. One lady had worked in Flea Markets selling stuff for years to open a bakery and it is now gone! Why is this okay because a young man chose to commit a crime and then ended up dead over it. I can't say who was right or wrong because I wasn't there. Bottom line, he was committing a crime! Why was that right? If he were such a good boy as people stated, why was he committing a crime? The video clearly shows him stealing and harming the store owner. How is that right?

145. This is not even ANIMAL nature. These are acts of evil.

146. Mondo Price There was a lot of incest within the slave owners anyway. Europe sent it's worst citizens here. I just can't imagine a punishment that is sufficient enough for such vile beings that participated in these activities. May they burn in Hell.

147. I don't believe it's the bloodline causing the problems. It's the hatred! Plain and simple! By some of the comments you can tell there is still hatred in the hearts of many. That's where it needs to stop. Everyone has a choice in life. I was raised what you call dirt poor, but I didn't stay there. I made a choice to get an education and do better for my children. At one point in our lives, we were living on dirt floors with cardboard over it. We had an outhouse and hauled water for bathing. I'm in my early 50's so I'm not a young kid that doesn't know what they are talking about. YOU HAVE A CHOICE! TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO LET GO OF THE HATRED AND LIVE A HAPPY LIFE OR HOLD ONTO AND WATCH THEM BE OPPRESSED AND KEEP LIVING IN THIS HORRIBLE CYCLE! Do you have to love us or even like us, No, but don't teach it to your children.

148. God said we are created equal and I choose to believe him above anyone on this earth! We can make a difference if we try. I truly do believe that! Don't get me wrong! I don't condone what any race has done or does to another one. It isn't what God intended. I hope you choose something different for yourself and LET GO OF THE PAST! Start today to build a better future for your kids and grandkids! THEY DESERVE IT! God Bless You!

149. I used the word thug because of things happening in current events. Was not meant to offend.

And no slavery didn't benefit more ire my family. We weren't hear during those times. My Momma family is Irish came way later and were too poor to be considered a part of society. My dad's family came even later than my mother's family. I grew up I poverty. So please explain where I was privileged?

150. Keya Hogue says:

This is sad. Some black men are still thinking like slaves. Getting 12 women a year pregnant. Sounds Vaguely familiar.

151. Fel Icia says:

Sarah Elizabeth Your pugilistic comment actually offended me to the point I had to reply back to you. My eyes are very open, but I question everything. The first comparison you made to whites being 'racist' and blacks being 'thugs'. First of all it would of been diplomatically correct to use the same term for both, why didn't you say racists for both, instead of thug? It does boil down to race. You made it about race when you used the term 'thug' again separating the two races. Slavery was absolutely about race, if you don't agree your simply not educated on the subject.

152. Fernando Rodríguez Hernán the world has seen the devil since it emerged form the Caucus Mountains. Spreading death, disease and exploitation where ever it went.

153. Fernando Rodríguez Hernán yes, just because you are white or spanish doesnt mean you decended from slaves either.. during the 17th century it was mostly Irish slaves that the British were bringing over to the Americas.

154. Plantations and ships owned by Jews? No English and French mainly inhabited the south. Old money owned ships and plantations. Jews really weren't here in America until they fled here during the war. And my native heritage left America to Canada. Fled like most tribes to save their lives. Again every race goes through shit. I'm not saying lose where you cane from. But to cling to it like a crutch and use it as an excuse as to why the world owes you shit is wrong.

155. Fernando you can not compare B.E.T and the NAACP to the KKK and you did, how long has the clan been hideing behind those robes if they were real men . Over a 100yrs and what good have they done, none. You need to educate yourself alot more on history not only black but your own race before you make such comments on this site.Do all of us a favor pick up a book and you will see the same BS that went on in the 60s happened during slavery and today. Your young and your just speaking what you were taught at home so I do'nt blame you. …

156. Fernando Rodríguez Hernán actualy the NAACP was formed by Jews and BET was formed to combat racism in the media, but it was finally bought by a Jew, Sumner Murray Rothstein. LOL But… anyways.. you made another comment that had no connection to this post or article. Troll much, amigo?

157. Yes the white on white slave trade should be discussed more.. I think white people are ashamed of that historical truth. Just like how the Huns and the Khans ransacked Europe and the black Carthaginians conquered a great part of Europe. But unlike the Europeans, the nations that conquered Europe, never made it a racial thing. Never enslaved, raped, murdered or exploited them simply based on the color of their skin.

158. Jews complaining? They got their money for their Jewish Holocaust. Yeah Africans enslaved other Africans.. but that slavery was a whole lot different and harsher than how white people enslaved Africans. just by bringing the African captives by boat to America, millions of black people died.. just from the boat ride more blacks died than all of the Jewish Holocaust. And did you know a lot of the slave ships were owned by Jews and most of the big slave plantations too? Yes.. not all white people were slave owners since only 4% of Americans owned slaves. " Blacks are only oppressed because they refuse to let what happened to."… WTF? LOL

159. I know, we should just forget about the past and the pelf that white people gained from it and the oppression that blacks still feel from it. Just let it go, eh? Esier for the man with all the pelf. It like a thief stealing from you and the following week saying.. bro.. yeah I stole from you and bought this new car, but just forget about it was the past. LOL

160. You are still making excuses for slaves that were forced to be impregnated they didn't ask for that. Basically you are still saying get over it you are ridiculous.

161. Absolutely disgusting. I wouldn't insult the animal kingdom by comparing them to such..but in NO way a surprise.

162. Plantations and ships owned by Jews? No English and French mainly inhabited the south. Old money owned ships and plantations. Jews really weren't here in America until they fled here during the war. And my native heritage left America to Canada. Fled like most tribes to save their lives. Again every race goes through shit. I'm not saying lose where you cane from. But to cling to it like a crutch and use it as an excuse as to why the world owes you shit is wrong.

163. Mel Stroud says:

Where are the comments from Caucasians?

164. Joy Taylor says:

I do believe this is the root of the problem between black men and women. As well as the destruction of the black family.

165. I don't see it for white people anymore. Just ugh the more I research about them the more and more sick nasty they get. -SKETCH™

166. Tyler Stanek says:

The world does realize this, we are trying but sometimes progress is tough to see.

167. More deflection. You see how they come on here and nit admut or acknowledge what is right in front of them

168. Travis John says:

So first thing first. Stop saying us and them. Yes, most blacks have slaves in their family history… Except it was done to them by them. No one reading this post, which was probably only posted to start more race wars, has ever been slave, nor owned a slave. The violence and criminal activity now has nothing to do with then. Stop blaming something fom 200 years ago on the stupidity of now. 2nd, look into your history. The slaves that were originally brought to the United States was brought here by trade style ships. Ships would go to africa and the tribes there that had won a battle, would take slaves and sell the rest in the slave trade industry. So by all means let's totally forget that while you may have ancestors who were slaves to a white man…. You also have ancestors who were first slaves to a black man. Let's not forget as well that there were quite a few free men of color who owned slaves. And if you actually read…. Most, by in large the majority of slave owners treated there slaves quite well. Now, while I am in no way saying slavery was good, it was the way of life then. It is wrong, it is over, but stop using the past as an excuse. Stop using race as an excuse. When we all realize we are all human and all American…. Things will be better. Until then stfu!.

169. Ossie Marie says:

A part of me understands the need for ads but I find it is getting more frustrating and data intensive to see five images.

170. Max Pow says:

They demoralized our race and complain of the outcome.

171. White people were a very sad bunch. Like sad.

172. Craig Scott says:

The people who did this to slaves were animals!

173. It's how rotten they always have been.

174. I'm a lil late but I have read through all the comments below and I believe we are all entitled to expressing our own opinion… It's sad to know how much African Americans suffered during slavery, but as you all know they aren't the only race that suffered. You have the Mexicans, Native Americans, Jews (for centuries I might add) and other minorities who have suffered from racism, discrimination, segrigation and oppression not only from 'whites' but by other or in some cases their own race as well. I don't think it's about our color but about the stereotype that is associated with a person skin color or race which ever you prefer. Yes I know there is still race crimes being committed but not only to African Americans and the reason that that's what people are mostly hearing about is because they tend to report more on crimes against African American because they have more advocates against racism in the media who take on cases and turn them into a race factors. Yes there has been a lot of civilian casualties involving African Americans, but the truth in SOME cases are kept from the media and only report 'Young African American shot down by white cop…..' but what's the rest of the story? In SOME cases the person was under the influence, gang member risiting arrest, carrying something that looked like a fire arm…it's human nature to protect yourself, if you were in a situation where you felt your life was in danger you would do the same and pull the trigger. I woulld, I have a family and life to live for like everyone else. But back to the subject in this article… the fact of the matter is yes whites once owned slaves, and Native Americans and Mexicans were murdered for their land and gold, Jews were hunted down for their believes and at one point for their unacceptable traits,but who inhabits the majority of the population in the US? Minorities as they call us and if we can't accept the past and love one another as brother and sisters as Gods children then all that racism and discrimination will never end. Isn't that what M. King preached?

175. Before believing please research. Ugh the Internet trolls strike again and people follow

176. Divine Agbor says:

It's time we think of asking for compensation. Others do receive compensation why not Africa/Africans.

177. I WAS BORNED IN REPUBLIC OF PANAMA AND EVERY TIME I READ ABOUT THE ATROCITIES THE AMERICAN BLACKS SUFFERED UNDER THE WHITE RULE DURING SLAVERY, IT SENDS A CHILL AND SADNESS TO MY HEART. BLACKS DID SEE RACISM IN THE PANAMA CANAL, BUT NOT AT THIS LEVEL. VERY SAD.

178. I think what happened is terrible and should be looked down upon as disgusting. But, there were also (though obviously not as many) black slave owners.

179. Ann Eds says:

The wives were crueler than the husbands.

180. Ann Eds says:

Nothing's changed except the era. Oh, and now they admit that the banner of purity was also party to the sexual deviance.: white women. There wasn't a fucking thing pure about them.

181. Kevin Rice says:

While stationed in Iraq I was stabbed by a very old and confused gentlemen. When his fellow towns folk heard that I was injured they rushed to help. A very young man who had medical training offered his assistance. I thanked him and being a little mistrustful told him that Id had much worse. He then laughed and explained that I simply must allow him to dress the wound. He told me that the old man was an old friend of his family and in fact a great grandfather to his best friend. He made it clear that the old man was of his clan and that ment that his clan had done me this harm. It then was his responsibility to heal me so the wound did not fester and bad blood cause me greater pain. The grievence had to be addressed so that our relationship could move forward pure of the stain. Since they had done this to me they had to make it right. What if white people thought like this? The world would be a better place.

182. Kevin Rice says:

Whites are angry that they are an endangered species. We will win out in war or genetics. Sooner or later they will cease to exist. And they feel it coming.

183. I'd just like to tell my fellow white people to accept history and stop trying to downplay the evils of slavery or deflect.

184. No I did not experience the pains of Slavery, however the side- effects are passed down from generation to generation. Post-traumatic stress disorder syndrome requires extensive therapy and trigger point identification to (A) Diagnose (B) Treat. My roots are from South Georgia and I recall travelling there as a youth (1962) with my Grandfather(Saundersville, Jeffersonville, Milledgeville). One day we drove my great-aunt (67yr old) to the plantation she was born on and still worked at as a house maid. The main house was enormous with marble pillars and long driveway. She had also "mammyed" all of the owners kids. Its been 50+ years since that experience, and you think it doesn't influence my thinking of race relations today. Yes it is part of a smoke screen to deflect away from the real issue of "Class", but to declare that because you didn't experience it you don't feel it is limiting your intellectual value.

185. Kevin Rice says:

Facebook gives whites a comfortable safe place to be hate blacks. So let them have that. Lol its just about the only place they have left. They cowards. While we speak our mind openly they wouldn't have the balls to talk this shit face to face. They so weak! I laugh at them.

186. Tony Elmham says:

My searches in history have made me want to vomit when I read some of the vile punishments slavers used if people didn't work as hard as demanded. I am disgusted when I see the era of the slavers glorified and slavery falsely explained as a paternalistic paradise for those enslaved.

187. People it is 2014 not the 1800s get over UR selfs. I'm sick of the whites did this an that yea it was fucked up back then. But none of u had to deal with it it's done an over stop puttin the blame on everyone else. Truth be known this day an time it don't matter what damn color u are. U can't fix it so stop bitching

188. These slave masters often used the bible to justify their sinful nature but they all most likely went straight to hell. Now their descendants have generational curses that is still prevalent today because a lot feel that they're superior to other races & still have hate in their hearts but claim to love God, etc. This is a spiritual war & internal, true change only happens by the love of God in the depths of your soul & heart. Things will never change until all of us, despite race or nationality come together united as one to demand equality for all & not just using "safe" blacks to fill quota's to obtain federal benefits.

189. Reparations would be good for the Country!

190. It's educational, but I can't stand some people's comments of this article. Many people claim whites and blacks are different. Yeah, because we're all different colors on the inside, some are made of gold and others of iron…yeah, we're all meat bags. Our skin color means nothing. How about we stop generalizing and get along. It's saddening. I can't read a decent article without being bombarded by people's horrible comments. How about we look for a better solutions to this world's problems instead of racism instead of creating more.

191. Read clearly black people. Our ancestors were not just slaves they were slave owners too so wheather you like it or not that same blood runs through your veins under you dark skin. We all have a long way to go but knowing our past helps us to prepare for our future. We better know now how to educate ourselves so we can fight for our rights rather than simply point fingers and blame one race. The Egyptians were also kings and queens that through time could nit hold their fortune once their slaves abandoned them. We are in the midst of the desert now. There is no victoty in waging war on our past. We are fighting for our collective future = all races.

192. Kevin Rice says:

We fight them over an offense that they themselves did not give even though those of us who fight weren't even alive when it was given! But fight them we shale. Fight them we must! The entire world cries out for justice and only we few are strong enough to stop them. We have endured for long enough. Now we must fight!

193. And yet people continue to do equally cruel acts to animals and no one says anything about that; no one protests that… And why do I see so many comments about what happened in Ferguson? Oh you're trying to connect this article to what goes on today? Do you only care about Mike Brown or Eric Garner because they were non-whites mistreated at the hands of whites? Fuck off with your hypocritical outrage you racist and speciesist piece of shit. #animallivesmatter

194. That's some real sick shit, who would behead a newborn baby.

195. Laura Tippit says:

All of these comments are so hateful. Let's remember "Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love." – Dr. King

196. Rusty Pudder says:

boo hoo. What people haven't been enslaved or had an act of genocide against them at one time? Still happening world wide today. You and I are not the result of other peoples actions, expectations, or perceptions. You alone are. When you try to blame a people from 200 years ago over your current situation. You can't cry because half of the planet has it worse. The Jews were enslaved just as long but you don't see them pissing and moaning. They overcame their circumstances. Still are. If you don't like your situation get out of it. We all do it. I'm doing it. Can't believe how many people still blame something from centuries ago for their woes. You may never reach your goal of overcoming your adversity but you simply have to try. Maybe give your kids or family a better life. No ones going to have that perfect life all you can do is push on.

197. Actually it was Africans selling Israelites into slavery.

198. Is it any wonder the that offspring of such evil conception are a lost people? I hate when some try to say, why aren't black people more ambitious like other ethnic groups who come to the US and become successful. The Enslaved blacks were bred to serve, not to live and think freely. Yes, its been many many years now, but what other group of people can say they have overcome this type of history?
    PS – Thank you Curtis Bunn for using the correct terminology. Black people were ENSLAVED. We were not born Slaves.

199. Miranda Hart says:

Hate begets hate. It is those who teach their children to hate that keep racism alive. It is on both and all sides, in every race, and all genders. I choose to always judge a person on the content of their character, and never the color of one's skin. I will teach my children that we are all human no matter our race gender or sexuality. If only others could do the same.

200. And I would never condemn Whites for taking Africans as slaves back in the days, all because Black Americans still have the perception that they're more superior than the people on the land they took them from(Africa). Black Americans should watch how they practice Racism before pointing fingers to their White Slaves Masters. If Black Americans think they're better off than Africans just because of Slavery bringing them to a foreign land, then why should they talk about Whites still practicing Racism.

201. History should bring you to a point of appreciation in how far you have come and then it should motivate you to go even further. If history brings you to hate then you have missed the message and are now falling victim.

202. @ Darryl – ABSOLUTELY! At this point it's reparations with INTEREST.

203. Hey everybody, I'd like to see some proof of these claims. I understand we have some awesome authors working here, and I love the stories, but what proof is there? Is this true? If so, then show me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying slave owners were good people, I just want proof before I believe what I read.

204. One of the reasons us black guys out perform you little white guy's

205. Aala Devine says:

Theses Neanderthals slave owners was worst than their ape ancestors!

206. Aala Devine says:

I have one word……Neanderthal

207. Kayla Rogers says:

It is so true that some of you people sound like idiots. A lot of you have no idea what you are talking about and that is apparent. I remember stories that my great grandfather would tell me about back in his day the things that he had to deal with. He passed away at 112 years old and he told me many stories about in the south how some of this stuff was still going on. I can tell that a lot of black people do not know their history. We are so strong as people. It is the ignorant posts like these that are sad. I do know that we are the strongest race. I also know that the white man needed us to do what they needed done. We come from kings and queens. A lot of theses things that the white man has claimed is off the backs of us. Has anyone on here ever read about Willie Lynch and his making of a slave letter. I am sure a lot of people have no idea what it even is. I am into knowledge wisdom and understanding. That is to learn about my culture and where I come from, being born in raised here in America we are conditioned at birth to think that white is better. It is not true. We are strong and without us this country would not be what it is. As long as you have knowledge there is no need for anger and hate. Once you know where you come from and understand that what they teach in school is all bullshit that is what you call enlightenment. How many of you also know that the first statue of liberty was a black woman who had chains around her feet and was carrying a lantern. Oh no, not in America, right that was taken down and changed to a white woman real quick. To all my fellow black people out there, this world is ours literally start acting like it, stop playing the victim and rise above.

208. Yep man can be very cruel to man. The Romans fed the Christians to the lions as entertainment, ISIS today crucifies Christians. This evil crap has gone on since history began. Its not a race thing particularly though they used it as an excuse during US slavery. Anyway slavery has been illegal here in the USA for over well over 125 years thank God. Then recent concept of the white man killing the black man is a new form of slavery, to imprison peoples minds as victims, so they don't move on I think. Yet what I do know? I was just a poor white southerner growing up.

209. Leslie Grimes-Fallon, I reap the rewards of hard work and education. I can assure you nothing I have would be considered "priveledge", except for the air I breathe and the love in my heart both blessed to me by the good Lord who created us all. Have you not had any opportunities Leslie for advancement in your life? If not, you may be looking in the wrong places. There are many programs developed to make to "playing field" more level for all people. Many people take advantage of the social programs designed to give a helping hand. I live in a 1300 sq ft home…there is nothing privledged about that. Don't assume. Stop hating. Life is so much better when people have peace. I think your statements are very racial btw.

210. Ambi Victoria, it appears we ARE on some kind of trial. In fact the trial was skipped and we are just guilty based on the color of our skin. And we have the right to comment…or only some people have the right to free speech? Why did you feel the need to comment? I found the subject matter in the article horribly evil…that's why I commented…but then I get attacked.