The N-Word, Updated: 6 Code Words or Terms That Often Mean the Same Thing

Richard-Sherman-SeahawksThug

As Richard Sherman pointed out after receiving criticism about his post Super Bowl interview, “It seems like [thug] is the acceptable way of calling someone the n word nowadays. Substituting the word thug doesn’t disguise the negative association with Black people.”

117 thoughts on “The N-Word, Updated: 6 Code Words or Terms That Often Mean the Same Thing

1. Harry Merkin says:

You're shitting me right? I followed a link to this page, thinking it was parody.

1) THUG http://misterroosevelt.blogspot.com/2008/06/suprising-origins-of-word-thug.html.
    All this time I never knew black people were actually from India.

2) URBAN http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/urban.
    Do any of you people KNOW what a dictionary is?

3) STATE'S RIGHTS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States'_rights.
    In American political discourse, states' rights refers to political powers reserved for the U.S. state governments rather than the federal government according to the United States Constitution, reflecting especially the enumerated powers of Congress and the Tenth Amendment.

4) LAW AND ORDER I don't even NEED to give proof of how asinine THIS ONE is. You don't think white people commit crimes? Jeffery Dahmer used to EAT black people. Casey Anthony killed her child. Charles Manson, Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin….I could go on. Jesus, do you think every criminal is black? Guess that makes the TV show LAW and ORDER the most racist shit being broadcast today.

5) CUT TAXES This word is racist? Hard working Americans don't like paying taxes. People too lazy to get off their asses and work and expect others to pay their way, don't worry about a higher tax bracket.

Can you explain how Asians do so well in applying for jobs and excel in school and have very high rates of acceptance. Couldn't it be because of previous work record, speaking ability, grades in school, attitude, ambition, and loyalty? How about East Indians who own convenience stores and hotels? They sure as hell ain't white. The ONLY REASON a person who is capable of working is poor, is due to laziness and "poor poor me" syndrome. I have white trash people in my city. I keep an eye on those fuckers too. I don't need a clue to figure out they will steal anything not nailed down to go buy some meth. They live in an "urban" area, I consider them "thugs", I'm glad when "Law and Order" keeps them behind bars where they won't harm my family and I believe they should "Cut Taxes" as my hard earned check goes to support these criminals.

Sadly, if the Ferguson situation were turned around and white people were looting and threatening violence, the black community would be crying racism. Everything is racism. We can't as a white race have an opinion because it's racism. Anything we do or say is racism. Read the story about the Boy That Cried Wolf. The word racism is losing any kind of meaning because it is used for EVERY SINGLE INCIDENT consistently. People who actually care about race relations are starting to become immune to it. Yet, the majority of Americans in this country are white, and Obama won the presidency not once, but TWICE. How are we so racist, shouldn't ROMNEY the white man have won? WE HAD THE MAJORITY OF THE VOTES AVAILABLE TO US IN BOTH ELECTIONS! HOW COME WE WHITE PEOPLE VOTED FOR HIM TWICE IF WE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO RACIST?

The Ferguson protesters are causing people who never were racist to become racist. People I talk to in the bar or store are starting to feel that way over Ferguson. They feel it's racist to burn down an innocent person's business because of protester rage. THOSE people didn't shoot that kid. NOT ONE OF THEM WAS INVOLVED. White, yellow, brown and red people don't riot and loot. Only one race does that, then they are AMAZED that people hate them so much? If I had a business in your community, selling food or clothes or whatever….and you burned my store down, I'd take the insurance money, move away and reopen in a city that has people who want to live in a nice neighborhood, not a burned out shell of crap. That's absolutely sad.

Before this investigation is even concluded, the black community is calling for a man's death. How quickly the black race has forgotten the lynchings of their previous relatives in the south over crimes that the white man "thought" some black man had committed. A lot of blacks were killed without the benefit of the courts. Now the black man, instead of educating himself, pulling his pants up, getting out of the endless spiral of ghetto life, drugs, shooting each other, etc., they now are acting like the very people their ancestors were oppressed by. The best way to get revenge and be stronger than the white man, is to get an education and start taking away the high paying jobs and hiring only black people. The Democratic party started the KKK, did you know that? GOOGLE it. The Democratic party keeps telling blacks they are oppressed and will never have anything in life and you fools just keep eating it up AND voting a straight Democratic ticket. You can see how well that's been working for the past 50-60 years for blacks, right?

MLK must be spinning in his fucking grave.

Obama, Sharpton, Jackson and Holder have put back race relations to 1950's levels. The black population makes up only about 13% of this country, yet they don't realize that they don't have to "act" white. EDUCATE. FORMULATE. FIGHT THE WHITE MAN WITH YOUR BRAIN AND A SUIT, not with rocks and matches. When the BAD black people push too far, burn and loot too much, threaten, kill, play the knockout game and treat others shitty long enough, the BAD white men will tire of it, and do what they did to the Indians, yet these stupid looters just don't get it. Rednecks are hunters with rifles. They won't be shooting blacks from a few feet away, like blacks do in the city, they'll be picking them off with high powered scopes from 2 football fields away. They won't be playing "gansta" when SHTF. They have families to protect and will contain any threat they need to from looting and burning, to killing white people.

There are too many successful black people, for ANYONE to believe that opportunity is not available. Athletes, actors, politicians, astronauts, lawyers, doctors….there are black people doing every one of those jobs. United Negro College Fund, Affirmative Action, etc. So many opportunities given to blacks that whites don't have. Black people will always be "economic" slaves until the brainwashed black masses rise up and employ themselves, dress for success, and start acting like AMERICANS not AFRICAN AMERICANS, otherwise they will live in squalor and never rise above the tyranny they so despise. God help your race…..especially if you push "whitey" too far.

2. Floyd Brown says:

What a bunch of bull shit.. Where do these people get their education? Must be that same place that Obama got his education.. Good HARD WORK is not used.. Or PRIDE IN ONESELF or PRINCIPLES then we would have some real problems..

3. Adam James says:

Dear Mr. Thomas Scott: (author of the article).

I hope you are aware that your article is being passed around the internet as "unintentional comedy." If this is supposed to be humor, you are the next Andy Kauffman. If it's not….well, there's no helping you.

4. James Hassinger says:

this is the most racist article I've ever read. You just said all black people don't pay taxes, they don't obey the law, and that all black people are on food stamps and welfare. Wow. Just wow.

5. Ken Steiger says:

What a bunch of politically correct BULLSHIT. How's THAT word workin' for ya?

6. Walf Ord says:

Thug – This is supposed to be "offensive" because Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown were violent bullies who paid for their poor upbringing with their lives — and continue to wreak havoc in death. How many pregnant women, the elderly, disabled and children have been savagely attacked for being the wrong color in the wrong place at the wrong time because of these violent, sociopathic thugs?

Urban/Inner City – The former is a word that advertisers and marketers use to describe a certain genre they are targeting; which is mostly black. The latter is where a lot of black people live. Facts are not racist.

State’s Rights – The 10th Amendment stands as a bulwark against Federal intrusion. The States were created to serve as laboratories in which citizens can easily vote with their feet if regulation and taxation are too onerous in one jurisdiction. Having everything run by the Federal government is anti-democratic. But then, so is the Left.

Welfare and Food Stamps – Apparently you're entitled to what someone else has, but not what you have earned. To be so impolite as to point out that someone is a parasite is considered racist today. The War on Poverty has increased poverty and single-parenthood dramatically — particularly affecting blacks.

Law and Order – As we have seen in recent history, law-abiding citizens and the police are supposed to let criminals get away with victimizing others — if the perpetrators are black. If not, let the rioting and looting begin.

Cut Taxes – Too many blacks have been sold the notion that they should trade self-empowerment for the false security of dependency. So the bigger the government is, the better it is and anyone who advocates for lower taxes is by definition a racist. That is why the hate the Tea Party Patriots.

And one major hope of Obama and his minions is to impoverish the majority of the American people so they also will be invested in ever-growing government — and consider freedom to only work for the "rich."

7. I'm waiting for your "Mia Love is a Traitor to her Race" Article. When can we expect it?
    I know a Bigot when I see one, or in this case, read what one wrote.

8. Oh man, good laugh! 8/10 comedy gold!

"Cutting taxes" somehow is a racially charged phrase now!

hohohoho

9. that means something brown, too. racist.

10. Éowyn Lewis says:

Well-said. I was going to comment, but you said it all.

I do want to add something though…stereotypes exist for a a reason, and even a person who loves individuals may come to hate a race because of the negative stereotypes. I'm a teacher, and a lot of the consistently problematic children I see at the school are black…not because someone is racist, but because a lot of them behave poorly. Perhaps there are some underlying causes, but everyone can make good choices. My best friend was physically disfigured as a kid by some black kids who decided they wanted to squeeze him between the tee-pee thing he was playing with during recess. Needless to say my friend is not too fond of black people now.

11. Stuart Baggish says:

Those who feel as the writer of this article does, or who defend the assertions made in this article, don't recognize just how lucky they are to live in America. As Dr. Thomas Sowell (a BRILLIANT black man… and a former Marine!) pointed out, there is a reason oppressed people the world over float on doors through more than a hundred miles of shark-infested waters to come to America, not vice-versa. People lucky enough to be born in America should thank God every day of their life for their good fortune, rather than trashing America. They have no idea how much louder they would be squealing if they found themselves unlucky enough to have to live under real oppression, such as what existed in the Soviet Union, China, the Congo, Cuba or any of the Islamist regimes.

12. Harry Merkin says:

Holy shit that was brilliant. I never thought of it that way.

13. Todd Hanson says:

Well now, the term BULLSHIT will NOT be allowed to be used because of it's political INCORRECTNESS. This term refers to blacks as being a liar, cheat and thief, which is ALL true. Example; Ferguson. Now thats BULLSHIT, right?

14. Michael Donttreadonme Lynch says:

So then black people aren't allowed to say COWBOY, HUNTER, GEORGE BUSH, FREEDOM, RESPONSIBILITIES, REPUBLICANS. Because those are synonymous with white people.

15. Martin Mix says:

I'm voting for the Kauffman angle here. Black individual posts an article about how poorly black people are treated only to get lots of people to treat him like an idiot. He's kind of inspiring the behavior he's railing against and that is pretty good performance art. Kind of reminds me of that time Banksy had some guy sell some of his stuff in the park in NYC without anyone knowing it was his. A couple pieces sold for like $40 a piece, I guess, because people didn't know it was his work and based on pure aesthetics it was only worth about $40 to people. Of course once it was discovered that it was Banksy's work (I guess he later talked about the experiment through his publicist) it's worth a fortune. I think this guy may be making fun of himself with this post. I mean, it's got to be comedy right?

16. Donald A. Mc Farland says:

You savages don't get to tell me what words I can or cannot use. If I was you people I would focus more on cleaning the mess you created in this country, instead of telling the people that pay for your welfare can say.

17. Jody Kelley says:

This is some of the dumbest shit I have ever seen. What the hell is wrong with you people? I hope this is some kind of stupid joke gone wrong.

18. Margaret Baham says:

And if a white journalist writes an article about what words blacks can't say anymore? Will that be acceptable? I'm tired of being called hateful things because of my race, too. But, there are a lot of non blacks on welfare and food stamps. And taxes definitely need to be cut. I'm tired off working my butt off for what little I make and then the government takes several large slices and hands them out to nonworkers! I'm not racist, I'm just fed up! What started out as a hand up programs have turned into handouts.

19. Catlin Starr says:

This is really stupid. Doesn't even make any sense

20. Harry Merkin says:

Todd Hanson NO. Not all blacks are liars, cheats and thieves. my cousin is married to a very wonderful man who supports her, treats her like a lady and is gainfully employed. That's like saying all white people are good. There are GOOD humans and BAD humans. I live near some pretty shitty thieving white folks.

21. Mike GraceandTact Jaroch says:

Race baiting article from a racist publication.

22. Harry Merkin says:

Writing an article about that is lowering yourself to a standard no better than 2 kids fighting over a toy. Until we can get people to quit listening to the people trying to divide the races and work on making sure EVERYONE prospers, white will hate black and black will hate white. White people used to hide runaway slaves. It was called compassion, and there's too damn little of it nowadays. However, compassion should not be mixed up with being taken advantage of. There are too many people on public assistance of all colors who can work. That really pisses me off I have to go out and work, they take my taxes and give it to someone who sits at home watching TV and smoking pot because they don't have to pass a drug test for work. The one that makes me the maddest is the surfer in California who BRAGS! HE BRAGS about eating sushi and lobster on OUR DIME and saying he's proud of not working! 29 years old, able bodied and we all pay so he can drink and party.

23. Mike Higgins says:

Sadly this isn't a new thing. The first list that I could find (didn't really look that hard) was from an article by Jenée Desmond-Harris. Her list also includes terms from core concerns of Republicans and Conservatives. "illegal alien" and "sharia law" are among her list. (immigration policy enforcement and radicalization of Islam). It's obvious what these "lists" are attempting to do. Convince the general public that anytime a Republican or Conservative is talking about certain things (again, key concerns for Republicans) people just think that it's the politician or person being racist and dismiss their comments as racist. We already know what politicians in DC think of the general public.

24. Harry Merkin says:

I laugh at people who say we shouldn't use the term illegal. They didn't come here legally. Ergo…..

25. Paul Yaekel says:

It's troubling to read such a disempowering narrative where the words used to describe white crime and the scamming done by low life crackers can't be called what it is just because it's been used a few times on black folks. Are you trying to put tape on our months?

26. Russ Deaver says:

I thought it was a joke too….guess some folks think everyone is talking about them….they probably peeking round corners too..

27. Brian Willis says:

Is Mr. Scott aware that "State's Rights" was used to help black people by resisting the Fugitive Slave Act?

28. This is the dumbest article I have EVER read. If these all mean the 'N' word. How much worse is the phrase "JOB".

29. Jon Waniak says:

This is the Dumbest thing I ever hears Really.

30. Jim Landon says:

Oh, everybody… CHILL! The author of this article is a young, snotnosed kid who just last year graduated from Morehouse College which advertises itself as "The Only Black All-Male College In the USA". He's not really experienced life yet and is still full of the [email protected] his prof's at Morehouse have pumped into his impressionable little head. You can read about him thru his Bio at LinkedIn The Bio can be viewed at https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomas2scott.

31. Ned Farn says:

hey naacp–thoght your mantra was "a mind is a terroible thing to waste" guess you guys don't adhere to that saying–by the way your title is in itself "racist"i.

32. Jet Carriker says:

Love how a majority is being ruled by a minority

33. Curt Pangracs says:

Wow…is there any wonder this rag is almost broke? I am all for hiring the mentally disabled, but you guys went full idiot and built an entire staff with them.

34. Curt Pangracs says:

So, does anyone here read the Atlanta WHITE Star? Wait, what? There is no such news outlet?

That seems a bit racist…

35. Is this a joke article? If the author is serious good luck…many of us are sick of the "racist BS" that trivializes what real racism is!

36. Marc Winger says:

Well, the this is all more moronic than usual. Typical tripe written by thugs.

37. Tugger Tugboat says:

After thinking about what the article says, My only response can be "F.U."

38. Jenkem Jones says:

Black People Community College = County Jail.

39. Loqutus Borg says:

The bottom line is only the NEEGROW determines what is rayciss, nomesayin? This article is another example of simian diversity and tribal kulcha. Shoot the messenger, please.

40. Todd Foster says:

Good luck, turning your degree in journalism into actual gainful employment.

There's a reason the landscape is bleaker and bleaker for young journalism grads. Look in the mirror long enough, you might figure it out.

41. Hello. Oh, wait – that's secret white code for "Hey, Boy – pick that up! Sorry. Oh, wait – that's secret white code for….

42. Susan Lyons says:

Black Africans look down upon blacks in the U.S. When a black friend of mine once asked a native African about Kwansa (sp), the African lady sneered and told her that was just made up by American blacks.

43. Susan Lyons says:

Harry Merkin , let's just go with "trash is trash, no matter what color skin you have."

44. Susan Lyons says:

There you go muddying up his assertions with something called facts. Shame on you.

45. Jenkem Jones says:

Don't forget about: youths, young people, community, athlete,…

46. Jenkem Jones says:

Don't forget about: youths, young people, community, athlete,…

47. Jenkem Jones says:

Black People School = Jail.

48. Jenkem Jones says:

Black People School = Jail.

49. Ulysses Noman says:

If the totally apt appellation 'Thug' is overwhelmingly associated with black culture, then maybe black culture ought to clean their shit up. Instead of playing the race card yet again.

50. Ulysses Noman says:

Susan Lyons that isn't 'looking down', that's an accurate statement. Nobody in Africa knows wtf 'Kwanzaa' is because it WAS made up in the late '60s by a Black Power bigot named Ron Everett (who later named himself Maulana Karenga) about the time of the Watts riots and his conviction and imprisonment for torturing a female member of his gang.

51. Ulysses Noman says:

Exactly. He's seriously regurgitating this utter garbage that was fed to him in his indoctrination camp, er, 'college'.

52. Jenkem Jones says:

The thugs won't let my comment show because they are racist against my Egyptian heritage.

53. I don't think they are taking any new comments. I wonder why.

54. Chuck Schade says:

I'm with you on some of this but maybe if others had been written differently I could agree more. I agree with "thugs" and "urban" and think I knew where you were going with "welfare" But you kind of lost me with "law and order", "state's rights", and "tax cuts". This article is now being passed around right wing and conspiracy theory sites to make it look like black people are stupid/over sensitive. Here's how it looks on Red Flag News, enjoy the comments. http://www.redflagnews.com/headlines/when-white-people-use-these-six-code-words-they-are-really-saying-the-n-word

55. Bill Bissenas says:

After reading this, I have to believe the freakin' end is near.

56. Donny White says:

It was. In the early 70s, I think. But it didn't get to be a household name until sometime in the 90s, I think. Don't hold me to those decades. I'm a senile old man.

57. Donny White says:

I gotta call foul on one little piece of an otherwise outstanding post. Upbringing doesn't always play a role. I know bad youth from good homes and good youth from bad homes. I have a son who's spent far more time behind bars than on the right side of them. He stole his first car, well, he and his friends said it was just a joy ride, but the courts apparently don't recognize that wording. He should have thought about that to begin with.

I have another son who is a pastor. Now, I've been studying the Bible for a long, long time. He's only 25. Now, he knows more than I do. Every once in a while I can still show him something, but for the most part it's now the other way around. He was asking me DEEP spiritual questions when he was five which I'd never come close to giving thought. And I'm a pretty deep thinker when it comes to stuff I dig or see as important. Anyway, he's completely non-pretentious, compassionate, the real deal.

So, did my kids have a good upbringing or a bad upbringing?

Just something to consider in the future.

58. Walf Ord says:

We are not a product of our environment; we are a product of how we respond to it. We still have free will.

That being said, it is clear that Michael Brown was not brought up with limitations or consequences. A clue of his upbringing is his mother saying releasing a video of him putting his hands on a man's throat for daring to follow him after being robbed was "character assassination."

If that clerk were armed, he would have been justified in burning that hulking monster down right then. And there would still have been riots. When the perp is black and the victim is not, the latter is supposed to be maimed or killed. Those are the rules. Do not be killed as you're supposed to and pregnant women will be punched out in retaliation.

59. Justin Pastine says:

Hahahaha, what a "cut taxes"…sorry, was that racist? I meant "law and orders" Damn it, I'm so sorry…Urban city? No? still wrong? Damn it, I'm so white…

60. Nadja Adolf says:

Thank you Atlanta Blackstar. Until I read this wonderful article, I had suffered from the misapprehension that thugs such as Charles Manson, Ed Kemper, Al Capone, the Barker brothers, and Clyde Barrow were White. Now that I understand the secret code, I realize how they were simply wronged Black men.

61. Nadja Adolf says:

62. Nadja Adolf says:

Harry wrote: " You don't think white people commit crimes? Jeffery Dahmer used to EAT black people."

Yes, he was a great humanitarian and was definitely NOT speciest.

63. Nadja Adolf says:

Yes, he was a great humanitarian and was definitely NOT speciest.

64. Josh says:

"The Ferguson protesters are causing people who never were racist to become racist". That's the point of all this buddy. Racism is something people acquire not something they're born with. Make no mistake, there is a very racist element ingrained in many of the American institutions; but in order for that racist element to succeed it needs people to execute with a racist disposition. So now with many gen Y or "millennials" becoming an age where they are, or will soon be in a position of power, it is imperative for the previously innocent to have their position corrupted. Do you think it's a coincidence that these "race war" cases like Ferguson and NY get sooooo much media coverage? I mean really, these cases have both gotten more coverage than the movie theatre shooting in Colorado and way more people died there.

It's important to keep in mind that (not all but many) people are NOT blaming ordinary, everyday white PEOPLE for these problems. The racist white POWER and SYSTEM are; and it doesn't take many individuals to make it work. There was a judge not too long ago sentenced to 28 years in prison for giving false jail sentencing (for a monetary kickback) to about 3,000 youth. That is the type of damage that just one racist, corrupt person in power can cause. The media, the judicial system, law enforcement, law makers, housing, banks, schools, all have similar corruption somewhere down the line just based on race. So try to understand that black people being angry at people who (mostly) happen to be white, does not mean they hate you too as a white person. The hatred and anger (for most not all) is NOT based on race but on the mistreatment they receive; and when they complain about it they repeatedly get ignored or get told that THEY are being racist.

I really think that is the biggest disconnect in the recent onslaught of racial conversation. It's like a cat in a house with a family that keeps attacking one specific family member when no one is around. Complaining and telling people how much you can't stand that cat that keeps attacking you does not mean that you hate cats. You are trying to inform the rest of the family that the cat is a real jerk but no one listens because no one sees it, and the rest of the family gets mad at you because they are all cat lovers.

You mentioned a "what if' regarding Ferguson being turned around and white people were doing the rioting. White people have actually been responsible for a number of riots, even recently like the Penn state riot when Joe Paterno got fired, the Pumkin Fest in New Hamp., and even predominately white cities like London have had riots; which is fine. But those riots don't get the same media play etc. that "black riots" get and THAT is what the problem is. So please don't let the media's trickery turn you into something that you're not out of frustration. If nothing else, just skip sites and news channels when they race bait the masses.

65. Josh says:

66. Josh says:

Éowyn Lewis You're probably accurate with the behavior piece, but you're stopping short on the "why" (that is a long, separate conversation). If you think it's soley because they are black then that is part of the problem. Also, that is sad what happened to your disfigured friend. But you say they're no longer fond of black people as if that makes it justifiable. Mark Wahlberg blinded a guy in his earlier years by beating him just for being Vietnamese. If Vietnamese people said they hated white people because of Mark's actions I'm sure you'd be quick to say that's wrong because you're not like him. The same individuality you give yourself is what you need to give blacks and any other race.

67. Josh says:

Wal Ford Just a question. What makes Trayvon a "violent bully" with a "poor upbringing". The facts of the case were that Zimmerman followed him (against police instruction) and a confrontation ensued. If a strange person followed you at night coming from a convenience store what would your reaction be?

68. Josh says:

Margaret Baham it sounds like you're tired of feeling like you've been put in a box based on the actions of a few others. Welcome to the club.

69. Josh says:

Numbers wise, there are more white people on welfare than black.

70. Josh says:

The article sucks, but white metal bands make literally satanic music so spare me the violent music crap. Once a system is put into place to destroy a certain group of people all that is needed afterwards is maintenance; which is why the media hype of every single race baiting story is so important. Just because you "love black people" (and I believe you) doesn't mean your grandfather does, or some judge that lives down the street from you, or some governor, or senator. It literally only takes a handful of people in specific positions to keep things going. Not long ago a judge in Pennsylvania was sentenced to 28 years for wrongful convictions of about 3000 youth. Don't act like bad choices are the only things keeping blacks behind.

71. Wal Ford says:

Yes, the "confrontation ensued" because the 'little boy who was just walking home after buying candy' apparently felt entitled to attack the 'White Hispanic' merely for following [not chasing] him through a neighborhood plagued by burglaries rather than calling the police or running away — which is what a civilized, law-abiding person would do.

Does anyone think that Trayvon could not have out-run Zimmerman? If he was actually fearing for his safety, why did he call Jabba the Tire Neck instead of the police?

I'm quite sure Trayvon felt he had no other choice but to initiate violence, because taking the other options would be seen as cowardice in his milieu — thus marking him as a victim. Hence, I cite poor upbringing — in this case, the Code of the Street — as a major factor in Trayvon's demise.

And I am quite certain that many of those who objected to Zimmerman not dying [as what was apparently supposed to happen] subscribe to this Code, because there is the implicit assertion that turning around and attacking was justified in response to being followed under those circumstances.

A particularly outrageous result of this barbaric mindset is the huge uptick in racially motivated attacks upon innocents that have ensued in the aftermath of yet another fraudulently racialized incident.

72. Donny White says:

I use the term "thug" based on someone's lifestyle and stupid choices. I don't care what color they are.

73. Donny White says:

Susan Lyons Not to mention the guys still over in Africa had ancestors who were capturing and selling those who could come known to be "American Backs." There's probably a reason they're a little smug. But, as Sowell pointed out, as wrong as slavery and lack of civil rights were, I have a hard time believing any American would be better off as an African today. If they would, I suggest they go.

I'm already looking at other options should our once great nation continue on its downward spiral. Australia (plenty of places for me to stay), New Zealand for the same reason, Central America has some places where you're not much more than an hour away from the Pacific or Atlantic where the cost of living is super low.

Or, I could just go to Hawai'i and hope the Japanese conquer it this time…….

74. Please tell me you're not serious. Sadly, I see that you are. This is NewSpeak, a la 1984, where inane terms are changed essentially into curse words to keep people away from freedom. Some of these terms are essential for freedom – like States' Rights, Law and Order, cutting taxes. They are not racist terms! By claiming they are, either you are racist and trying to conform the world to your version of racism, or you are a Socialist and don't care what people think you just want them to push away from the freedom America has in Free Enterprise and Federal Republicanism.

As to the terms thug, Urban and Welfare: If you don't want those to have a negative stigma, DON'T BE THEM, DESTROY THEM OR GET ON THEM! You can easily crush racism by not being a thug, not devolving the urban environment and working your ass off not to be on Welfare and Food Stamps.

Wow, I cannot believe I read this today. Dumbest thing I'll read all week.

75. Josh My reaction would be to get to a safe place (his home was just a few houses away) and call police. Apparently, Trayvon's was to turn, go the several hundred feet toward Zimmerman, and then punch him mercilessly without at all asking him what he was doing. Oh, and let's not forget the marijuana in his system, just like that in Michael Brown's system. I'm not justifying Zimmerman's actions. He was a fool. But he was not an imminent threat to Trayvon. Josh, if you believe that turning and attacking someone who is following you, when home is closer than your follower, then perhaps you've succumbed to the "Thug" mentality. And yes, I said that. And no, it had nothing to do with race. You can be white, Asian or any other color and be a thug. you just have to believe that violence is a better answer than kindness.

76. Josh My reaction would be to get to a safe place (his home was just a few houses away) and call police. Apparently, Trayvon's was to turn, go the several hundred feet toward Zimmerman, and then punch him mercilessly without at all asking him what he was doing. Oh, and let's not forget the marijuana in his system, just like that in Michael Brown's system. I'm not justifying Zimmerman's actions. He was a fool. But he was not an imminent threat to Trayvon. Josh, if you believe that turning and attacking someone who is following you, when home is closer than your follower, then perhaps you've succumbed to the "Thug" mentality. And yes, I said that. And no, it had nothing to do with race. You can be white, Asian or any other color and be a thug. you just have to believe that violence is a better answer than kindness.

77. Yes, Jim. He should hear from people (and he is) just exactly what his Socialist, racist education sounds like to those who do have experience in the real world.

78. Roberta Metalious says:

Obama is a thug!

79. Josh Percentage-wise, Josh?

80. Donald A. Mc Farland says:

Josh 5% of the white population is on welfare. Over 50% of the black population is on welfare. Black people make up 13% of the population but are responsible for 95% of the problems that this country has.

81. Josh Your last sentence is telling. Good choices have gotten many blacks ahead. Bad choices are the foremost reason others are behind. Some are societally bad choices. But they were not foisted on you by whites – at least not Conservative whites. You as a culture have bought in to the liberal, white, "new-slavery", welfare family and dependency society. Get people off of liberalism, you'll get them out of the "inner city".

82. Donny White says:

Josh That's incorrect. When the dispatcher told him to not do that, he quit and headed back to his truck. On the way to the truck is where he encountered Trayvon.

83. Nathan Stewart says:

Josh And they need a good, swift kick in the ass to get them moving…

84. Christopher Russ says:

Your a piece of dog food

85. Clyde Grady says:

More baiting and hustling

86. Josh says:

Chris Bassett blacks have a higher percentage. That only matters when you are doing analysis based on race. If you are talking about dollars (which is the only reason people have any problems with welfare) whites are costing the country more because their small percentage is based on an overall population that is about 5X larger than the black population in the US. So again I restate: "Numbers wise, there are more white people on welfare than black."

87. Donny White says:

Stalin wasn't white! He was a damned Dego! Get your shit together before you post. 😛 To show how much I know about racist terms, and I used to know an old man who went by the name of Dego, for whatever reason, I always thought, when I was younger, Dego referred to Hispanics, Mexicans in particular. But I had an Italian coworker who set me straight. I don't remember if it was his Dad or Grandad that first hit these shores, but he said the term was used when immigration from Europe was booming. Someone might ask them how long it took and they'd say, "120 dego by since we left."

Dunno

88. Not one statement in this mindless drivel of an article can be backed up by reasonable facts. The writer, who was apparently typing with his forehead, needs to get over himself and actually study what he's talking about.

89. Sunnie Cravens says:

I agree with you 100% Margaret!

90. how stupid! each and everyone of them… I do not even have time to go into detail, I waould be on this computer all day!

91. Loralee Ford says:

donald, your use of the word 'savages' isn't helping anything. There are plenty of savages of every color the human race has to offer.

92. Gerard Van der Leun says:

Get over your funky selves and quit bellyaching and whining like little girls. Get on with your lives.

93. Gerard Van der Leun says:

When I think of "Thomas" Scott, I think "Who bitch is this?"

94. Marty Young says:

What's next?

95. Terry Turner says:

Josh , I guess in that situation I'd beat the living shit out of the guy, maybe smash his head on a concrete sidewalk, perhaps try to steal his pistol and shoot him. I mean, that would be a normal reaction, right?

For the record, as you well know, the Sanford police never at any time instructed Zimmerman to do or not do anything.

If we're all lucky, some day black people in the US will figure out that they were played — badly — by the media in the Trayvon case and with the Mike Brown case. Black people were blatantly used in the media's effort to sway the elections of 2012 and 2014. Or maybe you think such cases just happen to occur every two years exactly, and coincidentally a few months before a national election. (Yeah, I know, Trayvon was shot in February, but the story was kept on ice until it was needed.)

96. Cindy Weidhas says:

This is ridiculous, the only one in there that I even specifically associate as anything other than simply a legal or otherwise objective term is "thug" which, BTW the first people that come to mind at the mention of "thug" are several white kids I know who want to, their own words "live the thug life." Hey and thug is also NOT another way to say white trash. To me it's colloquial use means an aggressive ass hat of any age, race. ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation that is only in anything for their own amusement and shirks personal responsibility.

97. I suppose it isn't racist to declare someone racist based on the color of their skin… You'd think racists would just come out and say what they think rather than be cowed by PC and use 'code words'…. is this a satire article or is it just racist?

98. Josh says:

Donny White No, you're incorrect. The dispatcher told him not to pursue.

99. Josh says:

Terry Turner I'm well aware of the media evils. And from the photos of Zimmerman's wounds I wouldn't describe the beating as severe as you are. I also find it funny that every puts the burden of "thinking through" the situation on a teenager instead of an armed, adult, neighborhood watcher.

100. Josh says:

Chris Bassett Again I find it funny that your "what if" scenario aims to correct the teen's behavior rather than the adult's. Zimmerman could have identified himself as neighborhood watch and eased the tension of the situation. How did Trayvon know Zimmerman was "not an imminent threat" as you say (even though he was because he was armed)? Furthermore, the police records not only capture authorities telling Zimmerman not to follow him (which he disregarded), but also capture Zimmerman saying in reference to Trayvon "these assholes always get away"; indicating he had a preconceived disposition even though he didn't actually see Trayvon doing anything wrong.

Lastly, I find it funny how you can read so much into a question that I directed to Wal Ford asking how he would react. Even though there is no where that I state my position or view on violence, you imply that maybe I think violence is better than kindness and perhaps I've succumbed to the "Thug" mentality. What I have succumbed to is expert analytical ability derived from both education and experience in my profession and, when applied to the Trayvon case, there are things that stick out; like Zimmerman's statement about "assholes always getting away" and disregarding police instruction not to follow. I'm not saying both parties couldn't have handled the situation better. What I am saying is:

1. It's not as cut and dry as many want to make it. Just because legal holes allowed Zimmerman to get off doesn't mean he's not wrong from a stupidity/irresponsibility standpoint.
    2. Zimmerman being an armed adult gives him more responsibility to think the situation through than the unarmed teen does.
    3. Zimmerman could very well have thought he was acting in the greater good of the community, but the statement about "assholes always get away' implies he had probably already deemed Trayvon guilty in his mind, causing him to amplify the situation beyond what was necessary with biased judgement.
    4. When Trayvon asked him "why are you following me", that was the perfect time to identify himself to try deescalating the situation.

101. Josh says:

Chris Bassett I'd say lack of knowledge of how the system works causes more harm than bad decisions. At any rate, the fact that you still believe in conservative and liberal is indicative of your need to do more research. The only REAL sides of corruption are haves and have not's. When you start tracing things like the pentagon papers, operation northwoods, Cheney & Halliburton etc. back to the money I'm sure you'll soon come to the same conclusion.

102. Josh Nope. I'm not a conspiracy believer. The only conspiracy I believe is truly out there is spiritual. Satan is seeking whom he may devour, while Jesus is radically saving those who turn to Him. Poverty of economy has never been the cause of sin, but poverty of character always has. As the nation turns from God many will seek economic and social justice means to fix the devastation that will follow. The only thing that will save us all, black white or any other color, is to turn back to Him.

103. Josh says:

Chris Bassett That's great that you're a believer. However, FACTS are still facts. Not gossip or hearsay, but facts. And when people like you downplay facts as "conspiracy" that gives the same satan you speak of even more elbow room to manipulate the increasingly gray area formerly known as truth to his heart's content.

Furthermore, if you do in fact believe in the spiritual element, then it should be pretty obvious that Satan can use people for wrong the same way God uses them for good. Writing everything off to "Satan" is just as harmful as writing the holocaust off to Hitler. Hitler was primarily just giving orders, you have to hold the soldiers executing those orders accountable as well.

104. Lots and lots and lots of super defended people posting here. Code terms are powerful because they are most often used unconsciously.

105. Scott Gibson says:

I never stopped hearing Nigger but I guess its just me. Either way, who cares. If a word gets you angry then maybe you need steel skin. Cops are murdering us, that should make you ready to bear arms against the powers that be.

106. Omar Cuba says:

They missed a few words and terms like: "You People" and "Push Whitey too far".

107. Omar Cuba says:

Wal Ford What exactlly did Travon Martin do wrong?

108. Kevin Ecker says:

So is Atlanta BlackStar like Atlanta's version of The Onion or is this meant to be serious?

109. Like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Since when was the last time you thought someone was being racist and speaking in racial overtones when they were talking about the rights of continental united states. Lol. Have you any idea what state rights have done for the black comunity?

110. Who is the AHole saying this BS so we can tell him to F off and GET A LIFE?

111. Michael Fox says:

Wal Ford it's ironic that you mention Michael Brown, as some one who was not bought up with consequences or limitations. You obviously are unfamiliar with the name Ethan Couch. On June 15 2013 Ethan Couch ( white male ) climbed behind the wheel of his pick up truck ( bear Fort Worth TX ) his blood – alcohol level was three times the adult driving limit and with traces of Valium and marijuana in his system.going more than 70 mph he crashed and killed four people working on a disabled car and severly injured nine. The collision could be heard from half -mile away. Afterward ,pieces of people and automobile were scattered over an area the size of a football field. His attorneys successfully argued that because of his affluent upbringing he was not " Bought up with consequences or limitations. He was givin no jail time and 10 years probation. Michael Brown was caught on camera stealing cigars and was murdred by a 6' 2 cop with a gun and No dash cam video who claimed that he feared for his life. As you should already know most if not all of the most horiffic public mass shootings over the last 20 years from Columbine to the muder of the children in Sandy Hook elementary school in CT aswell as the Oklahoma City terrorist explosion that resulted in the murder of pre schoolers in the are all carried out according to FBi by white males who among other pathologies were not " BOUGHT UP WITH CONSEQENCES OR LIMITATIONS".