school superintendent Bernadeia Johnson

school superintendent Bernadeia Johnson

In an effort to understand why students of color in the Minneapolis school system are 10 times more likely to receive a suspension than white students, school superintendent Bernadeia Johnson enacted a new policy where every non-violent suspension of a Black, Hispanic, or American Indian student will now be reviewed by her office before they are approved.

“Changing the trajectory for our students of color is a moral and ethical imperative, and our actions must be drastically different to achieve our goal of closing the achievement gap by 2020,” Johnson said in a statement on Friday.

The Minneapolis school system has more than 32,000 students and 70 percent of them are non-white.

The new policy is the result of a settlement with the U.S. Department of Education, which had been investigating the district’s lopsided suspension rate. In the last school year, suspensions for students in kindergarten through fourth grade increased by 32 percent.

Johnson attempted to address the suspension issue earlier this year by placing a moratorium on suspensions of students in pre-kindergarten, kindergarten and first grade, according to the Star Tribune.

As part of the settlement, the district will be required to report its progress on reducing suspensions for students of color to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. The district must also increase staff, create a better data system, clearly define its suspension policy and increase student and community engagement.

Minneapolis isn’t the only city where African-American students are suspended at a higher rate. The U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights found that Black students are suspended and expelled at a rate three times greater than white students.  Black girls are suspended at higher rates than girls of any other race or ethnicity. Black students have the highest out-of-school suspension rate for boys and girls at 20 percent and 12 percent, respectively.

121 thoughts on “Black Female Superintendent Makes Bold Move: Minneapolis Schools Now Need Permission to Suspend Black Students

1. John Grey says:

Anti white racists.

2. Stephen Keels says:

Thank you for having the intestinal fortitude to enact a much needed policy.

3. Stephen Keels says:

Why are you here on Atlanta Black Star, it would be, it's obvious that you have nothing positive to contribute. It would be appreciative, if you would take your racist cowardly trolling remarks elsewhere.

4. Mohammed Shakur says:

LOl foolish white boy.

5. Jay Contreras says:

Exactly! They need to implement this across the country. Slow down that school-to-prison pipeline!

6. Robyn Hawkins says:

This is wonderful!

7. Adam Freed says:

I think that this is a great policy that took guts to put into motion. That being said, I think that it would've been wise to make it an policy for all students, if only to avoid an inevitable influx of folks claiming that it discriminates against white students (as we can see already here in the comments). We all know that there is a difference between equality and equity, but depending on where you're coming from, you likely prefer one over the other.

8. Chris Tinker says:

Stephen Keels. He, like me, is probably here from facebook. Which is ironically the same place your account is from.

Mohammed Shakur, you are allowed to say "Foolish white boy". But if I say "Foolish Brown Boy" its racist. (And I'm sure those of darker skin color will be e-attacking me in 3…2….1….

9. Stephen Keels says:

Chris Tinker ????????????????

10. What a great policy. I am proud to hear other POC asserting our right to exist.

11. Michaëlle Abraham says:

Chris Tinker Nothing you said made any sense. You're bored but please find a new hobby.

12. Chris Tinker says:

Michaëlle Abraham , Everything I said was in response to each users response to John Grey's comment. A comment in which I don't necessarily agree with.

Please describe your misunderstanding so I can assist your understanding. Also, please don't take my comment in a demeaning way. Which you certainly may since emotion is impossible to detect in my response. So you will assign your own.

Stephen Keels. I don't understand the multiple question marks, but please refer to the previous paragraph.

13. Michaëlle Abraham says:

Chris Tinker I understand what you're doing which is trying to make yourself relevant on a story that literally has nothing to do with you lol. It's not emotion it's common sense; if you feel that way make a blog and write about it. This story is positive and I'm over people like yourself who try to start random arguments that don't even pertain to the story.

14. Michaëlle Abraham says:

I believe this is good news.

15. Stephen Keels says:

Michaëlle Abraham Well stated Ms. Abraham, I could,t said it better.

16. Chris Tinker says:

Michaëlle Abraham , Ah, but that's where you are mistaken. Its not an argument if you are stating from an unaffected 3rd party(me).

The story itself is not something I commented on. I commented on Stephen Keels response and then pointed out the racism and hypocrisy in Mohammed Shakur's.

I'm not arguing that this is a bad thing. I think its great that suspensions now have to be reviewed. Personally I believe that all suspensions and expulsions should, not just the minority ones. But that's far from what I was initially responding to.

After reading this response, take another look at what I was "arguing" 😉

17. Stephen Keels says:

Chris Tinker If you don't necessarily agree with John Grey's comment, then what your point and/or argument. Your are very confusing.

18. Stephen Keels says:

19. Chiba Yosuke says:

Chris Tinker if you are truly wondering why you perceive it to be 'ok' for a black person to say 'foolish white boy' vs a white person to say 'foolish brown boy', there's other places to contemplate these things. all your comment added to this was derailing the conversation to focus on a white person's perspective (on another topic), which is an ignorant thing to do on an article about much needed attention toward black perspectives. c'mon man.

John Grey run along now with your weak ass troll bait

20. John Grey says:

Chiba Yosuke I see you don't like to hear any thoughts that are different than your own. I can't blame you. It always feels better when all you hear are one sided.

21. Kendall DeFrancesco says:

Chris Tinker I'm sorry, what genocide/slavery happened in america to us white people? None. So take your privileged stupid ass comments somewhere else.

22. Alex Meyer says:

Chris Tinker. Nobody here needs you to 'assist their understanding,' especially when you've proved to be nothing than another white devil's advocate inserting himself in someone else's conversation. Your attitude is racist and boring.

23. John Grey says:

Alex Meyer Another one who can't stand to hear others views.

24. Michaëlle Abraham says:

Chris Tinker I understand men like you and I'm here to tell you that you are disposable. Nothing you said is groundbreaking or unique.

25. Chiba Yosuke says:

John Grey I respect your right to say or believe whatever you want, but its within the same free speech that I can criticize your opinion. I still feel like you're throwing out troll bait, but if not…then you don't understand how racism works. This isn't racism.

26. Lisa Pait Skinner says:

How bout we slow down the school to prison pipeline e with duscipline. Both at home and at school. How do expect a child to behave knowing there are no consequences for their actions. This is stupid. It's not because I'm white my kids are mixed so don't even say that it's cause I'm white. If my kid messes up at school then he needs to be punished. Period. They need to be responsible for their own actions.

27. John Grey says:

Chiba Yosuke If it weren't racism there would be the same rules for all children, not just for one race.

28. Kendall DeFrancesco says:

John Grey Except it's more like balancing things out? Minority children are more likely to be treated unfairly, so minority children need to be bailed out.

That's like saying there are two children. One fell down and scarped their knee so they need a bandage. Well why don't BOTH children get bandages? Because only one needs one. It's really as simple as that.

29. Chiba Yosuke says:

John Grey First… no one is making special rules for anyone here—the administration instituted a policy to examine why black kids allegedly "get in trouble" so much. nothing else. the rules are still the same for the children, however, the rules are now different for the administration because it seems odd that race is a consistent factor in the percentage of kids who get suspended. this isn't saying that black kids who actually -do something wrong- won't receive punishment—however, this is examining what the teachers are reporting. suppose that some unscrupulous teachers are deliberately suspending black kids for minor infractions while letting white kids slide on the same offense and its causing the disproportionate rates. Or, maybe there not. Maybe there's other reasons for why black kids get suspended more— but the point is, the new policy was put in place to figure out the problem and keep kids in school. Wtf is your problem with that? Its about promoting education. Nothing about this harms white people in any way.

30. Lisa Pait Skinner says:

The pipeline from school to prison needs to be slowed down with discipline. Not with a free pass. What child is going to go to school and behave if they already have disciplinary problems without consequences. Children need discipline and to be held responsible for their actions. If my child does something that warrants suspension then suspend them. Our job is to teach them to be roductive people. They will never learn that without consequences.

31. Jay Contreras says:

Lisa Pait Skinner When stats PROVE that black children are more likely to receive harsh corporal punishment for the same transgressions as their white counterparts (just like corresponding stats PROVE that black males are more likely to be racially profiled for stop & frisk searches & other targeting by crime enforcement); then I think this has less to do with our kid's behavior or 'lack of discipline' than it does an overall system that tends to 'criminalize' behavior when attributed to us. Even if that very same behavior is practiced in greater numbers by whites. This practice is not isolated to public schools–it's ubiquitous & if people are honest about it; it's clear as day what's going on. A LOT of people are making a LOT of $ off of our black bodies in the prison industrial complex. The sooner they can get our young people on that trajectory..the more they can keep those coffers & prison cells full. Do we have a responsibility as parents? Of course, that should go without saying—but to DENY the history of this country is both naive & disengenuous. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Tactics may change, but the objective is always the same.

32. Jay Contreras says:

And that's probably why they implemented it–so now they can hold it up in court as inherently discriminatory & go back to business as usual. Distraction politics.

33. Adam Freed says:

Jay Contreras I don't know that I would go as far as to say that. Here's how I see it:

If people see a problem, they want to fix it. When confronted with the data, it is hard to argue against the fact that minority students are much more likely to be suspended (and for longer) than white students. This happens, and in my view, it couldn't matter less why it happens. People often say "Why fight the symptom? Go for the source!". Sometimes to find the source, you have to stop the symptoms one by one until the source is clear as day. So, people want to fix a problem. And they should want that.

But as we know, it is all too easy to make missteps on the road to success. We might to the right thing for the right reasons and still wind up in a world of hurt. The key, in my view, is to utilize BOTH equity and equality because in this case, both "sides" need some attention. Should the school system give extra support to the demographics that are experiencing disproportionate suspension? Yes. On this "side", we have to present equity.

But then the other "side" will cry out "Why don't our kids get a second look before they get suspended? Why do the 'bad kids' get extra help?" So, for them, we have to apply equality.

Lift up those who need it most, but don't forget to bring everyone else along as well. We can move forward to stamp out institutionalized racism, but it is going to take black faces and brown faces AND white faces all working together. Any less and we will fail 100% of the time.

34. Lisa Pait Skinner says:

Jay Contreras I am by no means trying to speak out against black people. My children are mixed, and if they break the rules there are consequences. If you tell these children that if you break the rules then it's OK because you are black and can't be suspended that just separates us more. No I don't know what it's like being black, and I never will calm to, but all children need to be held responsible and not use color as a reason to not be.

35. Roz Fortuna says:

I agree, but also because at times we have seen cases in the media where white students are suspended for absolute nonsense as well. There are too many people in charge of children in public schools who just aren't smart enough or mature enough to be making decisions that will go on a child's permanent record.

36. Jay Contreras says:

Lisa Pait Skinner I don't really care if you have 'mixed kids' or not. That doesn't change the stats on this issue. We can agree to disagree but I still believe that the very same mindset that can create the gross unequal federal sentencing disparities in crack-cocaine cases (though crack & cocaine are basically the same substance) is also the mindset that punishes school-age black children more severely. And while you are lamenting whether this rule (which is only in 1 school district for now) will send a msg to black children about not 'taking responsibility' for their assumed poor behavior; do you also feel chagrin for the subtle nod being given to white kids that they can in effect get a pass for their own assumed equally poor behavior? Because these stats don't say that white kids are better behaved–what they say, is that black kids are being punished more severely for the exact same offenses that white kids are basically getting away with. Maybe some of us are so used to these kinds of inequities as adults, it doesn't particularly bother us to hear this kind of inequity being perpetrated against children. Maybe some of us are numb & desensitized to inequity at this point. But it doesn't matter what you or I think. The numbers don't lie. And neither does the history of this country. When one group is held to a different standard of conduct for the SAME offense & this is the case time & time again–then personal testimonials become irrelevant. The system is rotten & it's rotten across the board. The disproportionate suspension rates of black students in publicly funded schools in my opinion, is not caused by their supposed 'lack of discipline/sense of responsibility' ; it is merely another symptom of a rotten to it's core SYSTEM.

37. The policy isn't denying them punishment, it is having a second look at the reasons WHY the child is being suspended in order to make sure that the punishment fits the crime. No one said anything about not punishing

38. Myron Hewitt says:

I guess?

39. Myron Hewitt says:

Black male students wouldn't get suspended as much of they weren't the ones acting the biggest fools.

40. You are a shame to the black community.

41. Lisa Pait Skinner says:

Jay Contreras, I am sorry if I offended you. I don't think any child should be treated any differently, but if it's in an area where there are more black and brown children then of course more are going to be suspended. I for one am just sick of disrespectful, disruptive and misbehaving children. And the only reason I pointed out they are mixed is so I wouldn't hear the " they are white so they are privelaged" crap. Everyone in this country no matter the color of their skin has the opportunities. Period. Stop using race for every argument or excuse. It rediculous, No one deserves special treatment. If you do the crime………we you know the rest. I hope you have a great day.

42. Myron Hewitt says:

Oh April, I guess I'll have to break down and cry now. April I speak from experience as an educator in the secondary setting. The last thing our black male students need is another free pass. Students must be held accountable for their actions. I'm sure as you can see, with your vast knowledge and expertise, holding their hands is not the answer. It's another cop out.

43. How will this impact teachers in the classroom? It is still imperative to get the disruptive behavior under control as it impacts the learning if ALL students.

44. Christopher Baker says:

Now how would you react if this was the other way around? This is blatant racism, my son knows better than to go to school and disrespect a teacher or act like a fool or thug. He dresses appropriately, speaks proper english. He knows to do this because that's what we teach him at home and he doesn't hang out with thugs and soon to be criminals. I work as a juvenile corrections officer for 5 yes and can say, once I met the parents I finally understood why their children were in lick up.

45. Christopher Baker says:

Also, here is a radical way to curb suspensions for everyone…DON'T MISBEHAVE AND BREAK THE RULES!

46. Its unfortunate that this is exactly how many see the world when steps are taken to level the playing field. The have no knowledge that the world that they take for granted is tipped in their favor. To even suggest the world is actually tipped might even be percieved as racist.

47. The policy points to a process. It does nothing to impact a teachers ability to control anything… positively or negatively.

48. Does that answer these two questions: 1) If a white child and a black child perform the same act, why are the teachers more forgiving of the white child but are willing to ppunish the black child without the same level of forgiveness? 2) If a child is misbahaving regularly, does anyone take the time to find out or is it more imporatant to treat a child like a virus and just get rid of them with antibiotics?

Welcome to the succesful impact of white supremacy…

49. Jay Contreras says:

Charles Carlies Your questions are too logical for this kind of society–one that is inherently unequal & discriminatory. Historical barbarity & inequality is the accepted 'norm', so don't expect logical answers. But I'm sure you already know that. In effect what the other is asking: why can't you all just accept your unequal treatment & suffer in silence? It's NEVER the system that's at fault, it's always US. Much easier to try to bully us into submission than to actually have to contemplate the barbarity of the system.

50. Jay Contreras says:

April Bolling Eh, some people make better slaves than others. But we never get to the root causes in this society. People are much more comfortable slapping band aids on gaping, festering cancerous wounds than going to the causes of the cancer. Has anybody ever thought about WHY these kids may be acting up & if their behavior follows a certain trend? Have black boys ALWAYS been 'misbehaving' in public schools & have their always been the suspension disparities that we see now?

51. Adam – I get your logic but there is one flaw. It is not within a humans DNA to fix a problem just because he sees one. A problem is only worthy of being fixed if it is benificial (self serving) to do so. To ignore the why of a problem is to equivalent of just stopping a man from bleeding and leaving the bullet inside. Almost sounds like a level of insanity but you get the point. Using your own logic, Doing the right thing for the right reasons and ending up hurt anyway is exactly what focusing on symptoms does.

It doesn't take a genius to realize the difference between a child who is left hemisphere dominate is going to react differently and learn differently than a child who is right hemisphere dominant. But both children are expected to sit still, hands folded as if they are at a tea party with imaginery milk and cookies and no physical education. At the tender age of 6 or 7 years old, the child has no idea why he is different. No one in authority even seems to care that he is different. He's made to feel ashamed and treated like a castaway, who then is made to feel like a throwaway and eventually the court system is asked to put him away. All because no one gave a damn to see why the child was acting differently.

52. Chris Tinker well, no. That's not what's happening here.

53. well, funny thing– it isn't happening the other way around.

54. Lisa Pait Skinner I can't post a link but look for this article:

A Biracial Woman’s Letter to Her White Father
    Talking about race because my Dad doesn’t want to
    You REALLY need to read it.

55. Roz Fortuna says:

You're right, those terrible, uneducated, poorly dressed, sassy black thugs shooting up schools left and right. Oh wait…

56. Jay Contreras another question; do these misbehaviors incur a much harsher response when the child is black than when they are white?

57. AJ Jensen says:

Punishment isn't an answer to poor behavior. It's a cheap 'n' quick solution to a problem and it won't last in the long run. Constantly punishing students does little to nothing to build good behavior which is the goal in these cases. Instead of spending time and energy pushing students out of the classroom I think it'd be much more beneficial to work on keeping them on task and in school.

58. This is just sad. Another way black students will be able to not be responsible for their actions. This is the way they eventually end up in prison. Because they have excuses made for their behavior their whole lives by liberals….

59. Sha Moses Jack says:

I think it's time to pull the white kids OUT of public schools and just let them have it all to themselves. Do homeschooling, let the NON-white kids have it all, including the bills that roll in every month for the school, minus the federal funding given to the school for the white kids, o.h. w.e.l.l, too bad, so sad, Mr. School Board, go get a second job!

60. I'm going to go ahead a blame your response and assumptions on perhaps misreading the article and your lack of understanding of what it is like to be a person of color in this Country. The article clearly states that this will be the procedure for, not only black students, but Latino and Native Americans as well. It may not be a perfect solution, but it will give some insight to why suspensions are happening with so many youth of color and perhaps a solution to end the cycle. So before you decide that this is an excuse created by liberals that will eventually put "them" in jail any way, I would encourage you do a little research on this countries attitude and behavior toward people of color… You can start with Christopher Columbus.

61. Jay Contreras I will say that, at least in DC, the majority of suspensions are for offenses that are deemed violent without injury. If the system in Minneapolis is similar, then this policy may not help much at all.

62. Adam Freed This is not a policy that lifting up for the sake of progress; the purpose of the change is to stop what is already an unbalanced issue. There is a difference between everyone rising together and getting everyone above sea level first.

63. Ed Spier says:

Bold move? That's the stupidest thing I've heard all year .LMFAO

64. Jay Contreras says:

It's amazing how myopic and tunnel visioned 'beings' like you are when MOST of the ills of the world are perpetrated by entitled, sociopathic WHITE BOYS & MEN…why don't you focus on the EXCUSES & passes given to GW Bush et al & his crackhead, degenerate family? (Did ANYBODY ever collect that reward offered to those who can prove that he finished out his National Air Guard service & didn't go AWOL?–Maybe you need to scurry & collect it? I'm sure it's STILL available)..what about the MILLIONS killed by heads of major corporations, pharma, CIA, the Pentagon? They kill WITH what they THINK is virtual impunity untold MILLIONS yearly…yet here YOU are, pontificating about lil black kids who haven't killed or murdered ANYONE. Your self-serving blather would be better served so that you can prevent the next Columbine or Aurora, Colorado or the next Auschwitz or the next Vietnam or Iraq or Libya or….etc etc etc..you get the damn point. Scurry back into your hole now. Thanks.

65. Lisa Eason says:

Your post is riddled with "proper english." #suspendchristopherbaker

66. I'm seriously wondering how this is going to work, logistics-wise. What is going to happen to the children while this decision-making is happening? Do potentially extremely disruptive children remain in the classroom? Do kids serve in-school suspension while this committee does it's job (when the original suspension might be unjust, leading to more time out of the classroom.) Is whatever committee she sets up going to be enough to handle the, admittedly, huge amount of suspensions that they receive?

This seems like an excellent idea to start to combat this problem, but it seems like a lot of planning has to happen to ensure that it actually serves students, families, and teachers, not create more problems.

67. Ken Jones says:

Woman is a incompetent fool! That school district is going to hell in a hand basket! Lawsuits to follow this hefty excuse for an educator, She'll be run out of office in no time at all, Guts? More like a sure sign of mental instability. Look at her, she even looks NUTS!

68. Deborrah Cooper says:

White folks always want to be included in something that has to do with blacks except prison or police brutality or poverty. In this case you all need to sit down and shut up because YOU caused this problem. You don't need anything reviewed for you because you are not the group being harmed.

This change is needed because of a longstanding and systemic problem of white teachers suspending students of color for no reason other than they want to. When a child is out of school that child misses out on educational opportunities, which place him or her further and further behind, setting a trajectory to drop out, criminal activity and prison. There are other ways to manage issues with children, some of which are talking to them, giving them other options, after school detention and supervised homework, tutoring, sports programs, reading programs and things like that.

Also needed is ethnic sensitivity training for white teachers. Few of them "get it" and most don't try to because they don't believe they have to do anything to understand people they believe are beneath them. If I were that superintendent, I would demand that each teacher who has suspended a student anytime within the past five years take such training. Mandatory. No exceptions.

69. Deborrah Cooper says:

Holding their hands and kicking them out of school are at opposite ends of the spectrum. These are GRADE SCHOOL CHILDREN we're talking about. Preschoolers and kindergarteners getting suspended from school? Are you kidding me? They are 3-6 years old and already bearing the brunt of racism and teachers who can't be bothered?

This is a review process, not a pass. Some of the children will probably get suspended for violating written and established policies. But these arbitrary punitive suspensions because some bitchy teacher was in a bad mood? Naw. That has to stop.

70. that's racism…. if you want to review every kid that's fine.. but when you treat one group better then another that's racism… what about the poor white kid who getting abused by his parents and is acting out in class? does he not deserve attention? help?

71. Lisa Pait Skinner says:

Kendall Defrancesco please stop with the slavery talk. No one alive in this country has owned a slave and no one alive I this country has been a slave. Slavery sucks, I agree. People were treated like animals or worse, that of course is horrible and inexcusable, but that's not the case today. It's no longer a crutch. We all bleed red, we all feel love, hate, pain etc…..we all at the end of the day have just as many opportunities as the next. This story isn't about racism, it's about treating someone differently. Hope you have a great day.

72. Kendall DeFrancesco says:

Lisa Pait Skinner That whole "We all bleed red" is just a way for you to comfort yourself so you don't have to acknowledge that their is privilege. You have privilege for the color of your skin. If you think everyone is given the same opportunity in America, you have been not been paying close enough attention. We benefit from the fact that we are white. Maybe not on purpose, but the system is set up, and we benefit from it. And do you know what wasn't a long time ago? Segregation. Why do people seem to forget that. Things don't become perfect in a 40 year time period. Are things better? Hell yes they are, but that doesn't mean we don't stop fighting to make it even better. People never want to evaluate the hard truths because it makes them uncomfortable. Also here I think you should read this.http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/colorblind/201112/colorblind-ideology-is-form-racism

73. Be careful what you wish for. You might be alarmed at how negatively that solution impacts white families. The average public school teacher is a white female. Do you know how many white families depend on that paycheck?

74. So it wasn't racism to destroy the futures of non-whites by making them the targets of suspensions and punishments for the behavior seen done by all races but it is racism to reverse that trend? ok

75. Charles Carlies the right way to do this is to have a oversight committee that reviews for race, religion, ethnicity, gender bias, economic bias , sexual orientation and disability.. if you going to protect students … protect every student

76. Jay Contreras says:

Chiba Yosuke You just make too much damn sense. lol..you must be up to something…I don't know what is so hard to understand? This rule simply states that there will be further investigation as to WHY the black child is being suspended. It doesn't mean they will get away with anything if the investigation finds the suspension was warranted. It sounds like a lot of people are projecting. If the current system is EQUAL, then why be concerned about closer scrutiny unless you don't have confidence that it is fair? If it is, it SHOULD be able to withstand the scrutiny.

77. Sha Moses Jack says:

Do you know how fast it would take them to get "tutoring" jobs for home schooled children that they wouldn't have to be afraid of? and probably make more money on top of it.

78. Sha Moses Jack says:

Lisa Pait Skinner I agree, a decent parent will raise a disciplined child, and that child will become educated and go far in life. Children are a reflection of their parents…

79. Sha Moses Jack says:

Roz Fortuna – that is a great point but unfortunately, it's the constant drive-by's on the streets across the country, not the schools….the schools are left for the white kids on anti-depressant drugs that mess up their brains.

80. Matt Weaver says:

I understand the reasoning behind approval for suspensions if things have gotten out of hand… But can someone please explain to me how "This rule only applies to *insert race or color of skin here* " is not racism? Either do it with everyone, or do it with no one.

81. Jackie Marie Milbrandt says:

Thanks for the posting your inquiry Charles- I think the point of the new policy is to develop greater understanding! Why is this happening? and What can we do about it? The policy asks the question and models what we hope our children will get from education: DEEPER UNDERSTANDING.

82. Jay Contreras says:

Sha Moses Jack Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Hitler, The Bushes, Kissinger, Cheney, etc etc..and I bet NONE of them were suspended from school; though I did read that a young, curious george was known to like to kill & dismember small animals..curious..a lot of known serial murderers were known for the same behavior in childhood..but I'm sure his reprobate 'pedigree' kept him safe from school suspension..though it is funny, he ended up becoming a mass murderer anyway…but people like you are here focused on Ray-Ray…Ray Ray doesn't live next to you…ain't sleeping in the same bed as you or down the hall from you..but oh wait, you can make a TON of $ off of criminalizing & routing Ray Ray into the privatized criminal injustice system…you people are a hoot…

83. Roz Fortuna says:

Sha Moses Jack Typical excuse. When black kids commit crimes they're thugs, when white kids do it they're mentally ill. The massacres couldn't possibly have anything to do with the obsession people in this country have with guns. Solid reasoning right there. White people commit just as much crime, maybe not as much street crime depending on where they live because poverty is what leads to crime. But plenty of your highly educated snowflakes go on to fat cat jobs and have been flushing this country's economy down the toilet for a long time now. And let's not forget all of the genocide, including in how this country was founded. Every race has it's good people and it's bad people. I'm a Latina and I have plenty of friends of all different races, none of my friends are criminals. I grew up very poor in public housing and I'm perfectly fine. Stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. You're just prejudiced and uninformed.

84. Terry Bacon says:

as a black man I am offended this is a sign of reverse racism it all falls back on a parent regardless of the race. My son was suspended five times when he was living with his mother needless to say she did not further education I'll leave it there but I did my son lives with me now for the past two years he's been on honor roll it's not the ethnicity it's would spend talk to these kids I'm offended that we are segregating punishment when we should be punishing the parents of whom ever

85. Terry Bacon says:

I hope the intelligent minds get my point my voice chat isn't working too well but that's my point of view it all falls on a parent to parent to parent to parent my son live with me on a row he live with mommy suspension 5 times one school year we gotta stop with all this nonsense

86. Because, as you can tell by the statistics, teachers and principals were already excusing the white children of their bad behavior.

87. Matt Weaver says:

Seneca Peters – We don't know that. The only way to get to the bottom of it is to analyze the data for all suspensions. That's fair. Then you may see some skewed data and it needs to be dealt with. Throwing more racism against racism only creates, well, more racism.

88. Amo Zong Yaj says:

This is the problem, we got too many people like you who lacks an analysis around historical racist trauma, structure racism and systems of oppression and how that has and still impacts people of color and our cultures. Lord, the fact that a person like you was a "juvenile correctional officer," just shows how much these systems are failing, I would not want you correcting anything but your self.

89. Jeffrey Hayes says:

Be afraid! Be very afraid! The world is ending… 😐

90. Anti-Racist is a code word for Anti-White.

91. Tasha M. Smith says:

With the review of non-violent suspensions the superintendent can then figure out if it in fact that the teacher cannot control the students or if it is in fact the student being disruptive and truly needs to be removed from the classroom. Once this process takes place and there is a clear picture then the school district can take the proper steps whether it b community outreach to get more parents involved in their children's education or continuing education for faculty and staff on how to b an adult and take control of a classroom full of kids. But, let's not forget removing a kid from a classroom is NOT the same as suspension, removing them from the school for several days in a row. Putting already at risk kids in a position to really not b in school learning and realizing how important education is. If ur only worry is how teachers r affected then u need not comment in the story cuz u obviously don't understand it's about the kids and keeping them in school!!!

92. Tasha M. Smith says:

If there were a problem with every student being suspended at a rate three times that of other school districts then I'm sure the policy would reflect that. But as it is, the issue is with non-white students…students r not being suspended based on their race, gender, sexuality,

93. Jummy – the problem is defined by how non-white children are being punished COMPARED to white children. You want to ignore the problem as its being defined becasue you want to ignore systemic racism that existed to begin with.

94. If you think the only compensation that comes from working for the local and state governments is in the form of a paycheck, then you are making a poor assumption. The model you describe is a co-op private school. Those jobs don't pay that well.

95. Mr. Bacon – you have already drawn the conclusion that every child in this school is being treated fairly, every child isn't being branded and that systemic racism can't possibly be at play. Not sure what part of the city you live in but there are multitude of schools in Philly run by people who have preconceived beliefs about black and Hispanic males that contribute to what this principal is trying to correct. If you have any interest in reading some studies on what may lead this woman to take such steps may I direct your attention to people like Dr Umar Johnson or Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu. Some people view their work as being radical but no one who ever created change was considered normal.

96. Mr. Bacon – you have already drawn the conclusion that every child in this school is being treated fairly, every child isn't being branded and that systemic racism can't possibly be at play. Not sure what part of the city you live in but there are multitude of schools in Philly run by people who have preconceived beliefs about black and Hispanic males that contribute to what this principal is trying to correct. If you have any interest in reading some studies on what may lead this woman to take such steps may I direct your attention to people like Dr Umar Johnson or Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu. Some people view their work as being radical but no one who ever created change was considered normal.

97. Sha Moses Jack says:

sometimes it just ISN'T about money, or, it just isn't worth al the money in the world.

98. Matt – The problem as its defined is that *insert race or color of skin here* students are being suspended at much higher rates than that of white students. (for non-violent offenses) To include everyone doesn't address the problem as its stated.

99. and for the record, for the children i hope your wish is granted. I'm just not willing to make such a large segment of people unemployed and expect them to be business owners.

100. Jae West says:

What is lacking is parental discipline…
    Honor, integrity, respect taught at home produce children of higher quality rather than adults that use schools as a daycare so they can continue to be a burden to society regardless of race.
    This is the same tactic used by liberals when claiming the MAOA-L gene should be taken into consideration when sentencing a black Peron because they're more genetically predisposed to commit crimes and in the same breath say but we demand equality….

101. Jae West says:

What is lacking is parental discipline…

102. Renita Lee says:

April Bolling Why would you say something so awful to Myron Hewitt?? He appears to be well spoken, educated and has developed a successful career for himself….why is he a shame to the black community?? Because he has an opinion that did not parallel your own?? Has it occurred to you that due to his profession, he has obtained first hand data that supports his opinion??

103. Renita Lee says:

Kendall DeFrancesco so Mr. Hewitt was being racist toward his own race….wow!

104. Matt Weaver Apparently they already have DONE that or they wouldn't have implemented this new policy.

105. Also kendall Defrancesco you don't know me to judge me. Personally I truly do believe that we all bleed red. Racism is a taught behavior. If you are an ass I don't like you, if you are good to me and mine I do like you. Pretty simple, I don't need you to try to read into what I say like I'm at my shrinks office. I don't have a problem with color, I DO have a problem with fake ass people that try to be something they are not. Have a great night.

106. Johnson is the worst superintendent Minneapolis has ever had. And that is saying a lot. We've had a string of horrid ones. But she is the worst. Every time I hear her speak I think this is a woman in constant battle with reality.

107. Wafa Hozien says:

The implications are huge for equity and for students who have struggled to remain in schools due to hardships. We are finally taking the time to understand and take into consideration their multi faceted issues. Education is now becoming student oriented.

108. Kevin Jacque says:

I hate people like her.I am not white , I utterly hate people who does this, this is to much.. it makes me so angry. And we have sympathizers! disgusting. I hope she gets fired.

109. I am Black, and proud to be Black. Some may say I am "Pro-Black." However, as an educator, I have come to realize that you have mischievous kids in every race. Kids are going to be kids, and are going to push the envelope regardless of how they look. It is their nature, and needs discipline. With that being said, students need accountability. That is the issues with discipline in schools today. We have stripped accountability away from students, and pass the blame around like Aunt Mary's potato salad at a family barbecue. Outside of an obvious out pour of "discrimination" from the majority race, what I can see happening is this policy will give those minorities a free pass to act a nut because THEY KNOW there are no instant consequences for their actions. It is sending the wrong message to students. Expect adversity from this decision, mark my words!

110. More enabling… How typically liberal.. Reward bad behavior.. Would never let my kids go to those dumps.. There's more blacks in prison then any other race.. I guess lets just let them out of jail.. God forbid we look at the black family, where 70% of them have no father at home. Notice how libs run all the big cities, and they are ALL dumps…

111. Roz Fortuna yep, and they just shoot up the cities. See Chicago.. case closed.

112. Stats don't like,, enabling libturds do..

113. Jay Contreras You're delusional. And you're a racist. Typical low info lib voter. Still blaming Bush.. And a typical conspiracy theorist with no proof. face it, Obola was only elected because of his race. In the real world he would be working at Walmart. He was to ashamed to even tell his friends his mother was white.. he didn't serve in the military,, he was to busy smoking dope and pumping other men.. like Moosechelle… Obola is the new head of ISIS and even released the previous head of ISIS from GITMO… Obola is a Muslim.. He;s constantly criticizing Christianity. Him and that race pimp, Al Charlatan, who has no Church,, he also owes $4 mil in back taxes..Why isn't he in jail? MLK is rolling in his grave.. he died for nothing. What a shame..

114. You're the typical enabler who suffers from white guilt.. When will blacks start assuming responsibility for their children actions?

115. April Bolling You're the typical buck dancing Uncle Tom..

116. Charles Carlies Another Buck Dancing Uncle Tom, who refuses to leave the Dem/KKK plantation. This is the reason why blacks are a failed race… More excuse making..

117. Good point Myron.. Unlike the Obola voting blacks, you can actually think for yourself…

118. Jay Contreras You're a liar and a racist.. Where's your stats? You can use all the flowery $10 words you want, you are just plain ignorant.

119. Good point, Terry. It does fall back on the parent. And 70% of black households have only 1 parent. very sad.. Ignore Chuck he's a buck dancing Uncle Tom, who still lives on the Dem Plantation.. Dems run all the big cities/ghettos and yet it's the Republicans fault..

120. And she probably hates it when students cannot,/will not learn subject verb agreements.