African Migrants Face Hostility and Racism in Russia

First they spat angry words at Remy Bazie. Then they struck him in the face with an iron bar, knocking him unconscious.

The men who jumped the Ivory Coast migrant at a crowded Moscow train station last November did not rob him. But they damaged his jaw to the degree that doctors had to install a metal plate to hold it in place. It took Bazie four months to raise the $3,600 to undergo surgery.

“Most of the time I’m harassed, but this was the worst experience,” Bazie, 28, said recently as he sat at a parish community center in Moscow where African migrants often seek refuge.

His story is not uncommon, Russian civil and human rights leaders say. African migrants face widespread hostility and racism that usually go unpunished.

According to the SOVA Center for Information and Analysis, a Moscow-based advocacy group and think tank, 177 acts of violence against blacks have been reported in Russia since 2010.

But rights advocates said interviews with Africans living in the capital, as well as anecdotal evidence, indicate that a far higher number have been victims of racial attacks and experienced race-based harassment. Most, however, never report the assaults, the advocates said.

“Living here in Russia is like living in hell on Earth,” said Osman Kamara, 35, a Liberian who fled civil conflict in his homeland 10 years ago, only to fall victim to a skinhead attack in Moscow. “They don’t like our color. Going out is a problem. Maybe if you go out, you might not return.”

Some Africans say that after arriving here, they heard the Russian word “obezyana” directed at them so often that they initially thought it meant “black person.” It means “monkey.”

Read more at: latimes.com

31 thoughts on “African Migrants Face Hostility and Racism in Russia

1. Gerard Freeman says:

Black people face racism all over the planet..There is only one way to confront this problem.

2. Farntella Graham says:

yes, kick that white ass out of Black countries. everybody to their own yard.

3. Farntella Graham says:

ok, so now show me the stories where white people are being harrassed and murdered in Black countries. fair and balanced reporting, please, thank you.

4. Shawn Mc says:

Farntella Graham so thats your answer, every race go back to their own country ?

5. Jay Contreras says:

Shawn Mc Sounds like a plan to me. We know how most of us got to most of these predominantly white countries anyway–it wasn't because our ancestors wanted to & even now, neo-colonialism & imperialism destroys the infrastructure of African countries & forces them to leave their homelands.

6. Brian Rajogi says:

Gerald freeman.be more specific on your answer what exactly is the solution. I missed it

7. BM Yal says:

FUCK racists and FUCK racism it SUCKS REALLY SUCKS! and as someone who is a British born American of Iranian and Russian origin where having said that all that I have to say about this particular article is that I'm absolutely ashamed, embarrassed and down right disgusted with a minority of the population of my ancestral homeland's attitude towards individuals of a darker complexion(my family on my Father's side comes from Iran and Russia's Muslim South otherwise known as The Caucasus.

8. Bright Chike says:

I wonder if African leaders hear of these things, because if they do their nonchalance is more disturbing than the racism itself. There are two solutions I can proffer: build a strong enough economy that will support your country, though the citizens can help too by giving birth to as much children as they can support; the re-education of the African Negro to love himself, self love brings out the best in people-patriotism which is the tool needed to make Africa independent physically and psychologically. They should be made to understand that there is no place on earth you walk to get money, because most of them emigrate to western countries believing the media hype that people live well in anyplace but Africa, which is ironical as their lives get really difficult over there.

9. Omega Payton says:

We must stay among our own kind. Mugabe is doing the right thing in his country.

10. Shawn Mc says:

Omega Payton are you moving to zimbabwe?

11. Omega Payton says:

Shawn Mc : No, but I am seriously considering Ghana. That definitely is one of my options.

12. Omega Payton says:

Shawn Mc : There are currently two successful models available for review on how to successfully deal with the Whiteman in North America. Both models are from Asian people: China and the program set out by Mao involved initial total isolation with a closed door policy, while you get your house in order. You maintain a very strong military show of force and you keep the Whiteman out of all your affairs, especially those having to do with enhancing the infra-structure. The main thing is that you exhibit a willingness to eliminate any of your own people who would be caught attempting to do the bidding of this government. The second model comes from the Vietnamese government. It is similar to the one utilized by the Chinese and involves a closed door policy with a very strong emphasis on a display of military readiness to go to battle and fight to the death. No outside influence is to be tolerated at all, especially from the U.S. and no meddling in the internal affairs of the country is to be tolerated, and whenever dealing with the U.S. always remind them that you beat that ass once and stand ready to beat it again. This will allow you to always deal with the Whiteman from a position of strength. Never allow him to feel that he is superior.

13. Shawn Mc says:

Omega Payton you know damn well your not moving to ghana, I known a couple of people from the states who say they will move but never will and the reason is why jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

you need to talk to some people who moved there first and hear their personal accounts of life, Africa infrastructure isn't completely built and they have a major problem with corrupt inept leadership.
    you may think those african countries are like Coming to America with eddie murphy but only for those whose connected, they have no middle class so you better have a career that's in demand.

14. Omega Payton says:

Shawn Mc : So what is your solution. Are you advocating staying with these people?
    I believe that the last six years speak for themselves insofar as their commitment to freedom, justice and equality. Indeed, they give a rat's ass about your freedom, or showing equality to Black people and Ferguson and the Garner cases is about all the justice that we will get from them. Ain't Nothing Changed, Shawn Mc! Not one damn thing. My solution is that we seek total independence from America; that at least five coastal states be allotted to us for the formation of a separate Black nation.

15. Omega Payton says:

Shawn Mc I I noted that I was considering such a move. I know all about the slack in the infra structure of those countries, as well as the regular power outages which occur. However, Shawn Mc; I believe that we have become much too soft here in America anyway. You do know that Dubois left the U.S. and eventually died in Ghana. Moreover, Shawn Mc, I think that you have me twisted, brother, inasmuch as from April 6 1984, until January 10, 1999, your truly resided in the feds, and a great deal of that time was spent in the SHU or as you call it, The Hole. Nothing soft here, brother. I can sleep on steel, concrete or the damn ground if I have to, although I would now prefer a damn bed. Make no mistake, however, Omega can and will go Viking. In my younger days, I also rolled through "The Rock'," better known as Rikers Island, as well as Elmira and Coxsackie in upstate New York.. Finally, Shawn Mc: I known damn well that these Krackers are NOT going to turn us loose without some sought of fight. Shit, they won't even let us leave these borders without scrutiny. Indeed, they keep us real close. for obvious reasons. Peace.

16. Farntella Graham says:

Omega Payton you sound like a brilliant stategist.

17. Farntella Graham says:

Shawn Mc you have a problem with that, shawn?

18. Omega Payton says:

Farntella Graham : Yes, I have developed my own plan. It may not be the perfect plan but, nevertheless, it is a plan. I see no future here in America for the Blackman , and if other would face the reality of what has occurred in the past six years, and what is more than likely to occur in the next decade, their asses would be making haste to leave these people along. If you want to defeat the Whiteman, simply leave him alone and watch him perish. That much is guaranteed.

19. Omega Payton says:

No one is bothering any Whites in Africa.

20. Farntella Graham says:

Omega Payton leave him alone? he is the parasite and we are its host.

21. Shawn Mc says:

Omega Payton you gave up huh, well there are alot of native africans progressing here just fine so it could possibly be just you. http://www.bet.com/news/national/2012/03/20/survey-nigerians-most-educated-in-the-u-s.html

i agree with you that if you cant make it here give your spot to an african who wants to come here.

22. Omega Payton says:

Shawn Mc : Perhaps Shawn I may see myself at the head of a future invading army. Be aware of this Shawn: I don't believe in prisoners. Lmao!

23. Omega Payton says:

24. Omega Payton says:

Shawn Mc : Beware Shawn. No joke brother: I have a feeling that one day soon people will be fighting to get out of this country. Remember how they once had to fight to get out of Germany?

25. Omega Payton says:

26. Omega Payton says:

Farntella Graham : Yes you are correct. He is a bloodsucker who is always in our faces. Most of us don't want to be around them anymore and they know it.

27. Omega Payton says:

28. Gibson Ampaw says:

Very simple. Don't go and live there.

29. Gibson Ampaw says:

Jay Contreras – Sorry Jay, but its the Africans that have destroyed their own homelands. Your view of Africa is based on cultural marxist ideology.

30. Gibson Ampaw says:

Zimbabwe. President Mugabe virtujally kicked them all out in the 80's

31. Gibson Ampaw says:

Omega Payton – Except for crime.