15 thoughts on “This is Why Hair is Such an Important and Emotional Issue For Black Women

1. Their hair is horrible…balding, nappy and dry.

2. They are very right about this. Our acceptance of ourselves as African people is a negative to those who are not and seen as a threat; whatever they pose as a threat, you know it cant get more right than that; It just sucks that Nikki let that white girl on her blog talking about her supposed "natural hair" when white women have absolutely nothing to do with the natural hair movement.

3. Shawn Mc says:

are we allowed to be on non black site to give our opinion or are we segregated again ?

4. we were never not segregated. To me, i believe i am allowed to say whatever I want and that is what i do. Its up to us to reclaim our right as the descendants of the first ppl, the creators of mankind and with that, anywhere we lay our head is home, any place we decide to speak what we wanna speak is our right

5. we were never not segregated. To me, i believe i am allowed to say whatever I want and that is what i do. Its up to us to reclaim our right as the descendants of the first ppl, the creators of mankind and with that, anywhere we lay our head is home, any place we decide to speak what we wanna speak is our right

6. Ossie Marie says:

This show was aired sometime ago on Melissa's show. I guess the site is finding programs to put on its site.

7. Jazz Rukiya says:

I don't agree that it's about convenience or practicality. For many of us it is spiritual. It says I love me and accept my beautiful coily African hair. It is beautiful, I am beautiful, and I do not need to succumb anymore to the status quo's expectations of beauty. Since I stopped stressing my hair out with chemical relaxer, my hair has grown to the small of my back. The longest it has ever been. I am going to let it grow to my waist.

8. Joey CoCo says:

THe psychological state of most black women regarding hair is at an all-time low. You can not find a black woman with natural hair. Gluing and tying the hair of another race on your head is compromising the natural beauty of black women

9. Nia J. Patrick says:

this is a ridiculous conversation.

10. Phala R. Henderson says:

I'm a black woman and I'll were my hair anyway I want. Why is this a movement? How about a movement for black people to make betters decisions.

11. Cecelia Baskerville-Elamin says:

Foe me…I am tender header…remember this…I take the easier way out…

12. Cecelia Baskerville-Elamin says:

Foe me…I am tender header…remember this…I take the easier way out…

13. Miss Nia, Why do you find the conversation ridiculous?

14. Robert L. Davis I cannot answer for miss nia but I think it is ridiculous that we feed into the neaderthal mentality about our hair. as humans, we are different from them and our hair is different, too. a whole lot about us is different from them, as it should be. we do not owe anybody an explanation.

15. Well said ms farntella. We as black woman are way more than our hair, how we wear it is an expression of.ourselves and how we feel about ourselves. Period. There is no good hair bad hair natural perm…that's ridiculous. Beauty starts from within, self confidence starts from within. My Facebook pix shown here, I'm wearing a wig. Right now I'm wearing it short and I have a perm. That's my choice for the moment and it doesn't define me. I'm OK regardless of how I wear my hair.