7 Celebrities Who Are Proud Atheists

morgan-freeman

1. Morgan Freeman

It’s fairly ironic that Morgan Freeman, an actor who has played God twice, is an atheist.

Perhaps it’s more true to say that he has indicated he has mixed feelings about religion in general; in separate interviews he has stated that he does not consider himself a man of God, and that he believes that we (humans) invented God.

22 thoughts on “7 Celebrities Who Are Proud Atheists

1. Char Ralph says:

I don't believe that he has any mixed feelings. I thinks he's just a good actor!

2. David Boulton says:

"Dawkins himself is purportedly not as big a fan of Radcliffe’s work, having stated that the Harry Potter books promoted witchcraft, which he felt was anti-scientific."
    Source? I think it's very unlikely Dawkins would say this about a work of fantasy that doesn't claim to be otherwise.

3. Meghan Leigh says:

Agnostic and atheist are not mutually-exclusive. Unless Brad Pitt suddenly decided to believe in a god or gods, he is atheist. He may sway between agnostic atheist and gnostic atheist but I've never seen or heard of him saying anything to indicate that he sways on atheism itself.

4. Meghan Leigh says:

Also, this article seems to have an obnoxious inclination toward saying it is surprising or unexpected, or somehow counterintuitive, that an atheist would give to charities. Bill Gates is one of the most generous donors and he is not religious.

5. Kevin Smith says:

Religion may have done too much damage to people.

6. Nigel Hilton says:

Wow! an atheist who gives to charity . . . who'd have thunk it? Highly improbable if you ask me.

7. GOD wants relationship, not religion…so saying HE isn't real because some religious person hurt you is foolish…men aren't perfect, that's why we don't follow them, we follow GOD who Is perfect.

8. GOD wants relationship, not religion…so saying HE isn't real because some religious person hurt you is foolish…men aren't perfect, that's why we don't follow them, we follow GOD who Is perfect.

9. Dancy Pants says:

Ah yes because it takes religion to be a nice and good person. If you are only charitable because the bible tells you so, then something is VERY wrong.

10. Curtis Jones says:

My God is real whether you believe in him or not. Some day you will have to stand before as your judge. I hope you have Jesus with you on that day.

11. Kenneth Bell says:

How about practicing journalistic neutrality? The author has a snide remark for every person on this list simply because they're atheist.

12. Cheryl Hinnant says:

I'm a loving atheist and I admit… human being are so so small in the scheme of things. Our planet is small and has only been around for 4.5 billion years old. Earth is one of billions of planets that orbit stars. So, we really know nothing about anything. I consider humans destructive myopic ants who are slowly killing themselves. That's one thing I'm sure of–we are so dumb we are literally destroying our only home. And we don't care. Now, that's sad.

13. Cheryl Hinnant says:

Kevin…. all religions provides weak men with false power. This I know for sure.

14. Cheryl Hinnant says:

Delores, the planet is 4.5 billion years old. Why did it take God 4.5 billion years to get here? Maybe he was busy creating the other hundred billion planets in the galaxy? I'm just saying.

15. Cheryl Hinnant says:

Nigel, thank goodness for all 24,000 religions. If it weren't for religion young girls in the middle east wouldn't be murdered for going to school. Oh, and without religion in India families couldn't set their young daughters on fire in the name of God. Women and girls are rapped, tortured, have acid attacks and murdered in the name of religion. Let's over look the 7 million women who were murdered in the dark ages–in the sake of religion. I so do miss Sir Christopher Hitchens.

16. Cheryl Hinnant says:

What does atheism have to do with activism? You can be non-religious and be very kind, loving, honest, and generous. I am.

17. Religion does do damage to folk..that's why GOD wants relationship..a bunch of rules won't change the condition of your heart..only GOD can do that, if you let HIM..its not my jib to convince you of GODS existence.. You'll find that out when you take your last breath..I just know that the things I use to do, I don't do anymore and where there was once fear..there is peace and I have only GOD to thank for that.

18. Jesus came not to abolish the laws but give full clarity and way. Still, good response.

19. Jay Dancy We all fall short.

20. Casey Jones says:

Same with mark zuckerburg and Steve jobs. Its usually atheists that ARE the moral one and religious that do the bad things like oppressing people, murder, terrorism, etc. This author is clearly uneducated in such, if not all matters like most theists.

21. Casey Jones says: