One Student Killed, 3 Injured in Stabbing in Texas High School

A student was stabbed to death in a fight at a Texas high school outside of Houston early Wednesday, leaving at least three other students injured.

While officials were calling the attack at Spring High School, in the Houston suburb of Spring, Texas, possibly gang-related, at least one community leader said there was no gang involvement.

Police brought three students into custody after the fight in the school cafeteria, with two students being taken away in handcuffs, according to a report by local TV station KTRK-TV—but police haven’t released any names.

Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia said the incident occurred around 7:10 a.m. and “may have been gang-related,” starting with a physical confrontation involving a “cutting instrument.”

A man who identified himself as the father of the 16-year-old sophomore who was killed told KPRC-TV that his son “was just trying to come to school today.” The victim’s aunt, Alisa Brousard, said the killing “was random.”

Sheriff Garcia said two students were taken to the hospital with minor injuries and the third was undergoing surgery. The television station reported that one of the injured teens was stabbed in the abdomen and had been listed in critical condition at Memorial Hermann Hospital. His condition was later upgraded to good.

The school sent out the following message to parents:

“This is an important message from Spring High School. Based on a preliminary report, a fight occurred this morning in the cafeteria. There has been one fatality and three students have been transported to hospitals with injuries. All other students are safe in their classrooms and will remain there while the investigation continues. Students will be released as soon as we have been given permission from the investigating authorities. We will call you again as soon as we have more details.”

“When street violence pours into the schools, it compromises the well-being of all our students,” said Ralph Draper, Spring ISD superintendent, at a news conference outside the school.

“It is our aim to re-establish a safe and secure place” for students on campus. He said police arrived on campus within 60 seconds of being summoned.

Pastor E.A. Deckard of Green House International Church, who told the Houston Chronicle that he was serving as spokesman for the family of one of the victims, said the incident was part of an ongoing battle involving young men of different races.

“We as a community need to come together to show kids the value of real life,” Deckard said. “This was not gang violence, but simply a misunderstanding between two people.”

Back to top