Amy Winehouse’s Cause of Death Confirmed by 2nd Coroner as ‘Alcohol Toxicity’

The cause of Amy Winehouse’s death was confirmed Tuesday by a second coroner, after another investigation concluded that the songstress died after consuming fatal amounts of alcohol.

The English singer died in July 2011, after a long battle with drugs and alcohol. But the official cause of her death had not been announced until now.

The original inquest produced the same results, but after it was discovered that the coroner lacked proper qualifications, the hearing was annulled.

The original coroner had been hired by her husband who is the senior coroner for inner north London, but she was not a registered lawyer in Britain for the required five years.

According to Shirley Radcliffe, the second coroner to investigate Winehouse’s death, the Grammy-winning crooner indeed “died as a result of alcohol toxicity.”

Now there is no longer any doubt that Winehouse’s death was caused by her own actions, and there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding her demise.

The “You Know I’m Not Good” singer “voluntarily consumed alcohol – a deliberate act that took an unexpected turn and led to her death,” Radcliffe said.

In 2011, Winehouse’s body was discovered by her bodyguard. There were empty vodka bottles scattered all around the room in her London home.

Radcliffe confirmed that Winehouse’s blood-alcohol levels were five times that of the legal limit, and reached a point where the soulful singer could easily “fall asleep and not wake up.”

The inquest lasted over 45 minutes at St. Pancras Coroner’s Court. Winehouse’s family did not attend.

Perhaps the most tragic fact about the beehive-haired singer’s death is that doctors revealed she was on the road to recovery.

It was a tragic and unfortunate relapse that cost the “Rehab” songstress her life.

Read more: Taylor Gordon, Popular Critic

Back to top