Hugo Weaving Turns Down More Marvel Roles

Fan of Hugo Weaving as The Red Skull? Unfortunately, one performance is all you’ll get from the famed actor, according to a recent article from Collider.

While Hugo Weaving has always been a fan of reprising roles – as he did in the Matrix, Transformers, Lord of the Rings trilogies (and soon to do again in The Hobbit three-parter) – the unmistakable actor has revealed that  Captain America as well as The Avengers “not the sort of film” he usually flocks to and is excited by.

“I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn’t want to force someone to do it, if they didn’t want to. I think I’ve done my dash with that sort of film,” Weaving said in the sit-down with Collider.

“It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by. As an actor, to do all sorts of different films is great. It stretches you in different ways. But, I increasingly like to go back to what I used to always do, which is to get involved with projects that I really have a personal affiliation with.”

This comes as substantial news in light of Marvel’s Phase Two, which has the current run of Marvel films existing in the same universe and presumably, with the same actors. It’ll be disappointing not to see The Red Skull – at least with Hugo Weaving’s signature touch – team up with a Thor based villain or Iron Man arch rival in The Avengers 2  or Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Hopefully, Weaving will be the only major actor to deny the upcoming Marvel films. With his and other talented actors’ help, they have garnered the outrageous momentum that has afforded them their success.

0 thoughts on “Hugo Weaving Turns Down More Marvel Roles

1. Ivan says:

Maybe he won´t do more Marvel because he might have a part in the new Star Wars Trilogy which should start filming very soon.

2. mindpsycher says:

if that is true then i will not tough them, what a two faced snob. it saddens me that i wont be able to see the hobit films now.

3. LizaMV says:

who is the snob now? What an idiot “fan” you are.

4. WAM says:

…somehow, we’ll all get by.

5. Alexander MacDougall says:

So the matrix and it’s sequels totally his bag but the avengers is below him? I get the desire to move away from these kinds of movies but theres no need to shit on marvel to do so, a little uncouth of him.

6. bibble says:

He’s refusing to return for a sequel he doesn’t want to do? How dare he be able to make his own discussions!

Hugo’s done nothing wrong here. At least, he’s been gracious about it this time, which is more than can be said of his swipe at Michael Bay which came off as pretty unruly to say the least. Than again, the more people who boycott his films the better.

Sure it’s a shame to see him ruling out any future Marvel collaborations, but if he doesn’t want to, it’s his choice and fair enough. At least he’s been happy to return for The Hobbit.

And to think, Ian McKellen nearly said no to returning as Gandalf…

7. aGuy says:

Good for Hugo, since all of the Marvell movies I’ve seen have been bad (haven’t seen Avengers but believe it is as well). I do not wonder his decision, especially when it’s about Captain America franchise.

8. josh says:

The real reason is Hugo Weaving thinks he is above it all, and only accepted the roles for money. Now that he has enough of it, he can turn his nose up at roles he sees as beneath his talent and slag off the genres that don’t deserve him in his eyes – pompous git. Happy to take the money then deride the productions. Not impressed with Hugo Weaving, pretentious, arrogant and self-serving actor who doesn’t need the job anyway now. What a jerk.

9. Marshal says:

don’t go to the beach josh, you’ll just get more sand in your vagina.

10. nick says:

Watch Avengers Assemble, don’t be so arrogant in assuming it’s awful by your standards before watching it.

11. charles says:

When was the last time you saw an actor who wasn’t pretentious, arrogant, and self-serving?

12. PincheBurro says:

How does the writer not get that Red Skull isn’t going to even be needed for the Phase 2 stories? Yeah, maybe in phase 3 he could be around or lurking in the shadows, but isn’t phase 2 supposed to be building towards Avengers 2? Think about it…How in any way does Red Skull fit into a proper Thanos Storyline?

13. BrentFD says:

Hey dummy, he’s talking about Captain America and Marvel, not the hobbit movies. Try reading the whole article before you comment.

14. BrentFD says:

Little disappointing that there’s not even a possibility of more Weaving-as-Schmidt, but given how he exited, I think we’ll survive his absence…..and if they do need Schmidt, well…….the Rhodey replacement worked out okay, after all, so I got faith.

15. AntuanV says:

I wouldn’t be too upset about Weaving. He honestly has a right to turn down roles if he doesn’t want to play them. Unless you’ve been in the film process, it’s hard to say what the experience is like depending on the type of film you’re in. Perhaps he’s reaching an age where the Marvel roles require more time invested in them than he’d like. Perhaps the roles with Marvel are more restrictive contractually than others. There’s a lot that goes into it. It is possible he has other offers coming in that he wouldn’t be able to accept.

He is a human being with family, friends, a life, and his own choices. He’s not Marvel’s or our property. So, let him play whatever roles he wants to. You’d want the same liberty if you were a performer.