USC is expecting at least one player to be academically ineligible for this season, which would open up a spot for Penn State running back Silas Redd.
Redd had USC coaches visit his home in Connecticut last week and he spent the weekend in California, visiting the campus and meeting those associated with the program, including quarterback Matt Barkley and receiver Robert Woods.
The Nittany Lions’ top running back, is expected Tuesday to make his decision public. He will first meet with Penn State coach Bill O’Brien, sources said.
Redd, a junior, can transfer to any school without having to sit out a year because after the unprecedented that were handed down against the school in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
Several Penn State players, including linebacker Michael Mauti and defensive lineman Jordan Hill have said they will not transfer from the embattled program.
But Redd, who rushed for 1,241 yards and seven touchdowns last season, was not among that group of players that gathered Wednesday in State College, Pa. Neither was backup safety Tim Buckley, who is the first Penn State player to officially leave the program. He has moved on to North Carolina State.
Any transferred Penn State player who gets a scholarship does not count against another school’s scholarship total. However, the NCAA has clarified that a school “subject to scholarship limits due to an infractions case is allowed to accept transfers from Penn State but cannot exceed the scholarship limits specified in its infractions report.”
USC, which was sanctioned by the NCAA in 2010 over improper benefits, is at its limit of 75 players, so a spot would have to open up for Redd to transfer to the school. USC believes at least one player will be academically ineligible, opening up a spot for Redd. The backup plan would have a walk-on giving up a scholarship.